Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Loki is such a good show. Though oddly enough I think it needs more Loki. But all the characters are so good, especially OB.

I'm torn if I want to find out what life Mobeus has outside of the TVA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

Seeing as it wasn't the end of the series I'm guessing that this week's Loki is going to involve a do over of last week. Especially with all the murder going on.

Yeah 100%. It was pretty much a time loop trope episode without the time loop.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Loki is such a good show. Though oddly enough I think it needs more Loki. But all the characters are so good, especially OB.

I'm torn if I want to find out what life Mobeus has outside of the TVA

The internet seemed really sure he was going to be Sylvie's manager at McDonald's, but that character has had so little screentime now he can't be.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I want it to be Owen Wilson

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Would that make Loki a variant of Tom Hiddleston

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I want it to be Luuke Wilson

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
If Malkovich isn't in the MCU yet this could be a good time to introduce him as a tie in to the Malkoverse and all of it's Malkovariants.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Latest Doom Patrol episode was pretty good, the core cast all getting a lot of nice moments as it all winds down. But it's odd that Casey and Dorothy just completely disappeared, unremarked, and the butt thing is just tiresome. There's so much other apocalyptic weirdness in the source material they could have drawn on, but continually going back to the butt-well just seems like repeating a meme long past the point where anyone found it funny.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I just want one episode of Loki where he briefly turns 15 feet tall and blue and everyone says "Ohhh yeah, I forgot."

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Huh, so did I

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Echo Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFUKnherhuw

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I thought they'd cancelled that?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well it sure looks like a show that has lots of stuff happening? Not sure what any of that stuff actually is though.

Props for managing to shove multiple "we're not so different, you and I!" lines into a trailer, though! That part definitely felt like old school Netflix Marvel :xd:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You know what? Looks good, honestly. If they're willing to go for the MA/R rating tone, it's at least trying to do something slightly out of the MCU comfort zone.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Posting this here as its getting discussed in the Movie thread, but mentions a lot of TV stuff too

https://variety.com/2023/film/features/marvel-jonathan-majors-problem-the-marvels-reshoots-kang-1235774940/

Who the gently caress thought that She-Hulk shouldn't become She-Hulk until the second to last episode?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

notthegoatseguy posted:

Posting this here as its getting discussed in the Movie thread, but mentions a lot of TV stuff too

https://variety.com/2023/film/features/marvel-jonathan-majors-problem-the-marvels-reshoots-kang-1235774940/

Who the gently caress thought that She-Hulk shouldn't become She-Hulk until the second to last episode?

Someone who wanted to cut down on the CGI costs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I thought that at first also, but rereading it I think it was just they weren't going to show how she got her powers (the alien attack and car crash and mixing in Bruce's blood with hers) until the last episode originally, but moving it to the beginning meant they had to do a bunch of extra CGI, like the spaceship, earlier. She was still going to have her powers for the entire series.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

cross posting thoughts cuz i'm lazy

I think I actually saw dd in there for a split second

Couldn't help but be like 👀 when it said UNPUNISHED in the punisher font tho

But everything we've heard makes it sound like the production of this show was a loving mess so I'm gonna keep expectations low

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I never finished Punisher season 2, what was Frank's status quo at the end of that?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
literally the last shot is him dual wielding m16s shooting up a bunch of stereotypical gangbangers

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

I never finished Punisher season 2, what was Frank's status quo at the end of that?

Still punishing after all these years

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Air Skwirl posted:

Pretty much undid all the character development from s1 and 2 and made him into a mindless killing machine.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Air Skwirl posted:

I thought that at first also, but rereading it I think it was just they weren't going to show how she got her powers (the alien attack and car crash and mixing in Bruce's blood with hers) until the last episode originally, but moving it to the beginning meant they had to do a bunch of extra CGI, like the spaceship, earlier. She was still going to have her powers for the entire series.

Yeah, it was going to be some dumb mystery box'ish thing, and like I'm sorry vfx people you had to rush through a Sakaaran battle cruiser, but making the first episode a proper origin story was The Right Call.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, it was going to be some dumb mystery box'ish thing, and like I'm sorry vfx people you had to rush through a Sakaaran battle cruiser, but making the first episode a proper origin story was The Right Call.

Making the origin story the first episode did mean that the first episode wasn't particularly representative of what the rest of the show was going to be, so I can see why they wanted to save it for later in the season. but probably for the best in the end

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Just doing a narrated ten-second explanation of her origin in the opening credits of every episode like a 70s TV series would have gotten the job done and been a pretty decent gag. Get to the Surf Dracula as soon as you can.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Gonna cheer if Echo turns out to do an Andor.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Anyone else think it was weird that of all the locations they could have sent B-15 too in her own timeline it was like eight months after the Chitauri invasion in the same spot? More stuff in New York! Glad she got back to regular little kid broken arms so fast.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm always down for more Kingpin. I hope the show is good, but I don't get the feeling it will be with the releasing every episode at once thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So apparently they're doing some kind of vague Max/Marvel Knights imprint idea with Echo, branding it as 'Marvel Spotlight'.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

So apparently they're doing some kind of vague Max/Marvel Knights imprint idea with Echo, branding it as 'Marvel Spotlight'.

It's definitely an interesting name to choose because it's one of those books Marvel had for throwing things out there.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The Boys spinoff Gen V just wrapped up. It was good. Just as good as The Boys. Didn't see any talk about it here.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Barry Convex posted:

Making the origin story the first episode did mean that the first episode wasn't particularly representative of what the rest of the show was going to be, so I can see why they wanted to save it for later in the season. but probably for the best in the end

It didn't set up the rest of the show because it was so different. Of course, Jen's life changed drastically, so that actually makes sense thematically. It was also a really good episode.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Joe Fisto posted:

The Boys spinoff Gen V just wrapped up. It was good. Just as good as The Boys. Didn't see any talk about it here.

This week's episode was honestly one of the most unnerving things I've seen on TV that wasn't horror. A mass school shooting but with super powers is a bold choice. And while it was over the top violent, it wasn't played for laughs like the rest of it, which made it feel colder and darker.

I was really surprised at how good it was. I was expecting Saved By the Bell typical teen drama, but they went some really refreshingly dark directions

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Joe Fisto posted:

I enjoyed it. Works really well as a complement to The Boys. When I first got wind of it I was worried it was going to adapt some of the Godolkin stuff from the comics with the fraternity and all... that.

Glad they kept in Tek Knight's particular affectations, though, the comic version was the right balance of hosed-up and funny.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Gen V is the proper way to craft a spin-off/side story show with that ties back to the main narrative in an interesting and organic way without sidelining your original characters, compared to other recent similar ventures *cough*boba fett*cough

It was grubby and compelling, I appreciated that I couldn’t fully hate most of the characters because they often have valid and sympathetic reasons for their actions even if they were reprehensible people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some of the motivations in the finale were very abrupt and needed an extra couple of episodes to cook, though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joe Fisto posted:

I've been posting about how much I disliked the ending of the season in the tv thread. It doesn't have the insanely good actors that the Boys has to paper over its plot/dialogue problems, and the lack of it really makes the lack of a coherent storyline and illogical decisions (like Sam's....whole thing, down to his powers veering between rpg fist and sort of slapping, at least with his fight with Andre) become very perceptible. Feels like the people behind the show felt the same way, considering how much they worked at getting The Boys characters to roll by and resolve their season arcs (Woods/riot).

And at this point when it comes to superhero media I groan out loud whenever the bad guys are actually people with good motiviations/justifications, and then just start killing innocents for no reason, to justify them being bad guys.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Shageletic posted:

I've been posting about how much I disliked the ending of the season in the tv thread. It doesn't have the insanely good actors that the Boys has to paper over its plot/dialogue problems, and the lack of it really makes the lack of a coherent storyline and illogical decisions (like Sam's....whole thing, down to his powers veering between rpg fist and sort of slapping, at least with his fight with Andre) become very perceptible. Feels like the people behind the show felt the same way, considering how much they worked at getting The Boys characters to roll by and resolve their season arcs (Woods/riot).

And at this point when it comes to superhero media I groan out loud whenever the bad guys are actually people with good motivations/justifications, and then just start killing innocents for no reason, to justify them being bad guys.

I didn't have those issues with Sam's switch. He's an unmedicated schizophrenic teenager, so behavior switching didn't seem to be a big issue. Especially once he was swayed by the "supes are better than people" rally. Having been tortured for years by humans I don't think it would be too hard to see that coming.

With the fighting I was assuming that supes are just naturally more resilient than humans, which is why he can turn a guard's head into pudding, but fighting Andre was more of a regular fight.

Same goes with Cate's switch, she is also off her meds and she's had a lifetime of trauma and isolation. She is not well.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Cutting out the part from the comics where they explain that if don't have V in your system you're gonna end up a bloody smear eventually, either on purpose or by accident, when you hang around super-people never sat right with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I went into Gen V with low expectations but it won me over. I checked out the cartoon spinoff and left pretty quickly.

Regarding the last episode or 2 Sam and Cate made sense as kids going with a poorly thought out idea, which is true to the character, but if they just keep going that way in a future season it'll get old really quickly. "gently caress you mom, I'm going to murder people I don't like" works for these characters, but once they calm down there should be some introspection.