Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

MikeJF posted:

Everything you described is so difficult from a technical asset perspective, sadly.

Oh yeah, definitely. The one thing I left off of that post, is that I have no idea how you implement that, and do it in a way people would also enjoy.

A man can dream though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

lol

Only larger source of revenue in the city is residental taxation.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Exporting power has been a huge boon for my city. Apparently the max value for service exports is 1M a month tho, boo.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
How do I fix all my commercial not having enough customers?
I even had a commercial building displaying the message before it was even built lol.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AceRimmer posted:

I even had a commercial building displaying the message before it was even built lol.

Known bug. Just ignore it for now.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Deltasquid posted:

Query: how do I add dedicated bus lanes to my 4-lane medium roads? Adding a bus stop turns the entire sidewalk into a long, massive bus stop but the bus doesn't actually, you know, drive there. So now I lose parking spaces and ti's an eyesore and my bus gets stuck in traffic.

Go into the bus tab, select the bus-only road tool, and use 'replace' on the four lane road. You'll now have a four-lane road with bus lanes on the sides.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grand Fromage posted:

Known bug. Just ignore it for now.

Oh that's good to know.

edit: vv :hmmyes: vv

explosivo fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 30, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cities Skylines 2: Known bug. Just ignore it for now.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Even on a simpler level there could just be a much, much heavier cost to nabbing private property.

I really hate to post “actually it’s workers and resources” in yet another adjacent thread but if you turn of the difficulty settings for destruction and waste, in Workers and Resources you have to have actual vehicles (which you provide and maintain) show up to destroy everything from buildings to roads and that.

In reality what this means is you end up paused for hours planning things fastidiously or restarting your save when you have made decisions too large that you hate.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Why are buildings being abandoned in a district with a net +20 to happiness?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Either a bug in the simulation, or a bug in the UI, or the data being given to the player is insufficient or not granular enough for us to realise there is something wrong with that particular building at that particular place.

After a full week of playing this, I have learned to essentially ignore the demand bar. Instead, I am just sorta taking a look at what is being abandoned and rezoning it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Elementary school demand is almost as insatiable as low density housing. Don't think they really hit that goal of not needing to spam service buildings.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dr. Clockwork posted:

rent or traffic

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Still making bugfuck money on parking fees, but not a lot of traffic and transit's getting used. I wish there were more context. Like is 20,000 trips a month with a pop of 31,000 a lot? It'd be useful to have a mode share display--the game telling me that 28% of trips are done on trams or whatever would be a lot more valuable than these numbers.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

Still making bugfuck money on parking fees, but not a lot of traffic and transit's getting used. I wish there were more context. Like is 20,000 trips a month with a pop of 31,000 a lot? It'd be useful to have a mode share display--the game telling me that 28% of trips are done on trams or whatever would be a lot more valuable than these numbers.

it seems like there's an issue with the parking evaluation AI wheres spending 50 bucks to park on a road 500 meters away from their destination is more desirable than a free parking spot directly in front of it. that entire aspect of the simulation and everything related to it is probably broken

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's definitely something up with the parking AI but clicking around, a lot of the parked cars seem to belong to people in row houses which don't have any kind of built in parking. So they have to leave it on the street or get rid of the car entirely, and I don't know if sims can sell their car. I don't know how car ownership is tracked at all beyond not having pocket cars.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
ridiculously; cims will use street parking that is literally blocks and blocks away from their housing. not even a garage. just leaving their truck out on the street

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

old heads: the SimCity 3000 and SimCity 4 soundtracks are on spotify

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Cygni posted:

I kind of miss the old scenarios for 3000 like the one where the industry was downtown and people lived on the outskirts and you needed to fix it, or living on a single giant island after the polar ice caps melted

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The network construction tools are great but still suck.
First, they have the fundamental flaw that they're built around splines, instead of circle arcs. Real road and rail lines are designed from arcs, and I'm quite sure that if you tried driving on a road built with a spline curve it would just somehow feel wrong. (Transport Fever gets this right.)
Why isn't there a way to keep constant height relative to sea level. I want to be able to build a perfectly level bridge or tunnel, without having to fudge with raising/lowering in 1.25 m increments and pushing forward/back single pixels, and still get a +/- 0.1% grade.
They really dropped the ball by not having a planning mode that allows you to lay out multiple network segments and fuzz around with their nodes before committing.

Also, is there really no way to completely hide trees? I can't see the contour lines for the trees.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

nielsm posted:

First, they have the fundamental flaw that they're built around splines, instead of circle arcs. Real road and rail lines are designed from arcs, and I'm quite sure that if you tried driving on a road built with a spline curve it would just somehow feel wrong. (Transport Fever gets this right.)
At higher speeds it's the opposite, you need a gradual transition between straight and maximum curvature to smooth out the jump in lateral acceleration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_transition_curve

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Llamadeus posted:

At higher speeds it's the opposite, you need a gradual transition between straight and maximum curvature to smooth out the jump in lateral acceleration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_transition_curve

Oftentimes (older?) US interstates were designed with arcs of differing radiuses straight up following each other though, without any transition/spiral/euler curve in between.

Still, especially for higher speed rail it'd be cool to have transition curves, but I wonder how it'd be best automated. If the curved road/track already exists, it's pretty easy to manually swap out the ends with simple curves where one side's longer than the other alreadt? In CS1 you could properly calculate this with the Python Console mod but that took quite a bit of work and time to set up and execute for each and every ramp.

In the end what I ended up doing all the time was use node controller to lengthen nodes on the tangents for easy and decent-looking transition curves. Those nodes needed touching anyway for superelevation so no big hassle really.

For me, with only a couple of mod reintroductions we'd be right back on the road bonsai-level the first game ended up at:

- I forgot the mod's name easy switching between tunnel/ground/elevated modes again, now hopefully with the embankment/retaining wall stuff from CS2 added
- Move It's select-node-and-adjust-elevation functionality at least
- some NMT functions: loop and connection builder, slope tool
- Node Controller

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I miss cable cars

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Muscle Tracer posted:

Go into the bus tab, select the bus-only road tool, and use 'replace' on the four lane road. You'll now have a four-lane road with bus lanes on the sides.

Thanks!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'll say this for CS2, when you rework an intersection and the new setup has significantly better traffic flow, that is some deeply satisfying poo poo. It feels way more responsive than CS1 did to me.

These people absolutely have a fetish for parking on roadsides, as people are saying, even when cheap or free parking is available. I'm half tempted to add wide pavements to every road in town to force the issue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Obviously we don't know much about the internals of the game but if it's anything like what's they've discussed I'm hoping that weird things like the roadside parking fetish can be fixed with just variable rebalances (either done by CO or done by modders) instead of needing actual logic and code functionality changes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cygni posted:

And for anyone who isn't familiar with them, they're all great but the SimCity 3000: Rush Hour expansion pack's soundtrack is by far the best citybuilder music ever made. (As long as you don't really really hate jazz)

E: I hosed up and conflated some stuff in my head listen to both SC3k and SC4:RH.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 30, 2023

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AceRimmer posted:

If they aren't becoming abandoned eventually, it's the bug. But if you want it to go away still, you can just leave commercial demand at max and only place new commercial as you expand your denser residential neighborhoods. I only have maybe half a dozen commercial zones bitching in a city of 35k, rents don't seem to be pricing commercial businesses out so I'm just rolling with it.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cygni posted:

I legit put all of the soundtracks on via Youtube when I started playing CS2, nice to hear they are on Spotify tho!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MikeJF posted:

And for anyone who isn't familiar with them, they're all great but the SimCity 3000: Rush Hour expansion pack's soundtrack is by far the best citybuilder music ever made. (As long as you don't really really hate jazz)

I'm Eric the Mauve and I approve this post

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MikeC posted:

Instead, I am just sorta taking a look at what is being abandoned and rezoning it.

This is what I've been doing now that I have all the densities unlocked, if I see a house complaining about high rent I just replace the lot with the next highest density. Seems to be working pretty well.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
My tactic has been replacing the low density with medium density residential I put in when I was first starting my city out with medium density, and then slowly building out more permanent low density residential neighborhoods on the outskirts of my city. That way low density growth is fairly low and only when I am pretty confident that's where I want it to go permanently, while I'm slowly working on increasing the density of my existing "city core"

I will say, last night after my city hit 30k, I started to see a bunch more demand for true high density housing. So I've been replacing the low density commercial with high density commercial, same with offices, then upgrading the medium density residential to high density once the commercial/office have completed building. The demands and indicators definitely "feel" bugged but I am guessing that's gonna get fixed once they adjust some values on the back end

bagmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 30, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Isn't Rush Hour the name of the SimCity 4 expansion? Or did they release expansions called the same for both games?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh my god what happened to my brain

Yeah SimCity 3000 is spectacular citybuilder jazz and SimCity 4: Rush Hour is spectacular citybuilder music. SimCity 4's original OST isn't quite up there with the two but it's still very good.

It's late at night and my brain is melting.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 30, 2023

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYfLBzKdup0
:colbert:

What even was Simcity 5's music? I don't remember it at all.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Does anyone know any real life cities that are similar to the "Barrier Island" map? The one with the main big island separated from the mainland with a decently big sized bay.

I started with it to build a kind of Manhattan-y type deal, but it feels kind of awkward for that since Manhattan is an island surrounded by a lot of land, separated only by pretty narrow rivers (actually the East River is a tidal estuary). The Barrier Island in the map is much farther removed from the mainland. I'm curious to see how that would get built up in real life.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Long Island New York? If you want the main city on the island that's probably going to be pretty rare, since you'd need some kind of reason for things to be on the less convenient mass. Hong Kong?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hong Kong Island, perhaps?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Yeah I guess Hong Kong is actually pretty danged close, same kind of distance from the mainland, with a similar amount of space on the mainland to expand out to :hmmyes:

MikeJF posted:

Long Island New York? If you want the main city on the island that's probably going to be pretty rare, since you'd need some kind of reason for things to be on the less convenient mass. Hong Kong?

Yeah it's kinda similar to Long Island, but the only dense part of Long Island is the part with proximity to Manhattan. I think I need to shift up and try to do more of a Hong Kong style development, where it started as a fall fishing settlement and gained prominence from being a port, and then shifting in to finance.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

looking at lists of most densely populated islands, Xiamen Island China, Matcan Phillipenes?

You could also look at Victoria, Vancouver and just pretend most of the wilderness island isn't there and it's just the city.

If you wanna pattern after Hong Kong that's probably a good idea but the pressures on Hong Kong's shape and development weren't all that organic as it developed into a city.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 30, 2023