Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the fishing river bears of horny mars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Where you have riparian zones, you have beavers :wiggle:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

: a john carter adventure by l sprague de camp

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/XOEFnIF.mp4

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Let the pigeon drive the UAP

also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gWnuhjwNrw

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I was on the MH370 flight. they gave snacks and a stern lecture not to reveal the secrets of gay space communism.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Diablo sfx bums me out. I want to believe!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I’m torn. it was tacky as hell both before and after knowing it’s a Diablo vfx. but mightn’t we expect the real article to be a little tacky?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I found this thread's anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEtkk8WT5CI

Mekanik Sideral posted:

THE ALIEN (the Star of Love)

He arrived in the city
A twilight on a summer evening
He had this quiet look
The alien
We didn’t know how to react
Fear and curiosity
He looked just like us
The alien

CHORUS
He came from the star of love
The alien
He came at the dawn of a new day
The alien

He told us strange things
He had the only secret
Of a much greater truth
The alien
Infinite happiness is waiting for us
Since the universe was born
You seek the dream you reject
Unknowingly

CHORUS

Only love will remain forever
Your only happiness when you understand
There is only love
Only love
Your love

I'm telling you friend, listen
I came from very, very far
To help you dispel the doubt
That scares you
My universe, I give it to you
In exchange for your friendship
For what would be the life of a man
Who can't love

CHORUS

Infinite happiness is waiting for us
Since the universe was born
I’m looking for the dream…

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Oct 30, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I love it, thanks!!

quote:

You seek the dream you reject
Unknowingly

:hmmyes:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

coconono posted:

I was on the MH370 flight. they gave snacks and a stern lecture not to reveal the secrets of gay space communism.

There goes your hush money man what are you doing

e was the warp a moment in witch space like elite or semi instantaneous like Stargate or was there flight time like Star Trek

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Oct 30, 2023

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

lmfao hell yeah

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJHrln_GlX8

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

yo how'd this guy get one of these

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Inspector Hound posted:

There goes your hush money man what are you doing

e was the warp a moment in witch space like elite or semi instantaneous like Stargate or was there flight time like Star Trek

all I can say is brown note

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

big money salvia/HOFFBONICS if you're mining this thread for jokes then you need to pay us a cut of your revenue you drat thief!!!!!!!!!!

LtDan
May 1, 2004

New devil comet just dropped: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna121989

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'd like it to be generally known the gates are now Wide open. Thanks for supporting and stay tuned

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'd like it to be generally known the gates are now Wide open. Thanks for supporting and stay tuned

Oh poo poo CLOSE THE IRIS

*desperately tightens sphincter*

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

gates wide open was my nickname in college

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

quote:

At age 21, he enlisted (to avoid the draft) in the Air Force to play in the concert band and Air Force Symphony. While still in the service, at age 23, Andrews experienced a series of visions, "illumination, a touch of cosmic consciousness," and spent a whole month in a state of bliss. From that time on, he continually studied cosmic consciousness and other planes of existence.
After being discharged from the service, Andrews continued his harp education at the Cleveland Institute of Music and began a teaching career at the age of 27 as head of the harp department at the University of Texas. In 1960, he arrived in San Francisco, where he threw himself into the rich beatnik scene, the cultural riches of the city, and the spiritual offerings of the Monterey area. In 1966, he studied with music healer Kay Ortman. 1968 saw Andrews continue his classical concert harp career, which included a musician-in-residence stint at North Carolina State and a series of solo concerts. In 1972, he became harpist for the improvisational jazz group the Paul Winter Consort, but the following year, Andrews withdrew from the formal music world to be a metaphysical healer. He approaches his music healing through science (he has worked with noted researcher Marcel Vogel), symbolism, and working with higher sources.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCIFpAPRS_Y

tis truly the elevator music of the gods

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

got em

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

people not understanding skepticism is my least favorite genre of thing

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

gently caress you, nerd!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Any advice for a simple thing like a ritual we can do to help you on your task ?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Riot Bimbo posted:

well, with the help of a friend, i was able to buy a run of advertising to sell my services reading natal charts lol

hoping I can land enough bookings to make the [modest] investment back and then some. I would so much rather be an astrologer by profession than sucking rear end in kitchens till i'm too old to work

PM sent

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Any advice for a simple thing like a ritual we can do to help you on your task ?

Oh that's such a good question. So I think more than telling you "find item X and with it do action Y" I would like to explain how or why ritual works, so that if you do decide to build one tonight you will know a little better what it is you are doing and have better chances of success. People that have been working with general magical belief longer than I have might approach ritual design and enactment differently than I do, but in my experience this is how it works --

I have a goal, and if not a concrete path to my goal then at least a few stepping stones of ideas in how it could work. They don't need to be probable, though that can make things easier; just possible. As long as we get from our starting point to our end goal, most of the intermediate steps are highly mutable -- "the way is simple when you have no set way" -- but I like having a chain of "coulds" and "shoulds" and "cans" that a sequence of events could follow for success. A proof, if you will. As I put together other ritual items I hold in mind the known present, and the desired future, and of course everything springs from what we consider the past, but I allow Whomever is indulging my ritual to chart the most effective path available.

I also see ritual craft as being pretty dependent on the energies floating around for harvesting on a given day. So Hallowtide energy is an ideal vibration if my goal is wanting more people in the world that really believe in and participate with magic and supranatural energy. Which it is, and I do. It is not end goal, but it is current goal. Today almost everyone wants to believe in the unseen, the inexplicable. They want to worship pagan Gods and hold magic in their hands and unpack all the halls and warrens of the Dead. Belief is everywhere.

All that agitated but aimless energy is invited to find purpose in a ritual space. I work in front of my altar to my Father or out in my garden; since they are holy spaces I do not usually enact or see myself requiring separate protection rituals before starting things but I think a lot of practitioners would probably feel I should put a caution here about having some sort of protective ward or circle. As far as how to construct one of those goes -- the following about actual ritual creation and execution applies.

As I understand it, and I think the more versed practitioners in here would broadly agree, creating your ritual is setting your intention into formal language. So if I wanted to set up a safe ward, I would look for items that I associate with the kind of safety I am asking for. Salt, sand, silver, pine boughs, whatever resonates with that mental association and desire. We return to communication here: you are using symbols that both you, the petitioner or mystic or magician, and the Entity to Whom you are appealing (this may not need to be a capital letter entity) both understand. Additionally, recall that while trying to validate a more complex ritual you will be trying to hold several thoughts in your head at once that must remain compatible with one another at least the majority of the time. Having physical ritual components as communication devices allows additional context and nuance for whatever thread you are developing. Enchanted items, items with strong emotional value, and items with consensus symbology all have power inherent to themselves when used in ritual language as well. A lot of my ritual patterns toward this goal have involved bones for the Dead and for my patron Deity -- yes, every time you have spoken recently of reassessing our modern relationship to death and the Dead I have agreed -- and feathers as personal symbols, symbols of freedom, and symbols of participating non-human communities; wood and bark and living plants for the Living Goddess -- once called God's wife, if you recall -- and lots of mirrors that take roles as windows, portals, access points for the energies that my components call for to use as needed. There are dozens of other lesser and minor elements currently but those are the four I think most attuned to the open Gates.

Bones for the honored Dead, feathers for uncaged magic, vines for the Feminine Divine and mirrors so the currents may travel.

To return to the question of what you might do to participate -- I think it can go nearly without saying at this point that the most important thing is normalized belief. Research, discuss, practice, help others, until just as nobody bats an eye at a person attending Church on a Sunday morning, no one thinks twice about being told "oh, I can't on Thursday, I have ritual." I want people to not only believe, but feel safe to believe confidently.

But that is the future, and in the present, I think building a ritual tonight could be wildly helpful and effective and possibly even exciting for the person doing it, even if they are new to the practice. If you are feeling participatory, the next step of efforts I see now that the gates have opened -- and it is lofty, but I received advice from a trusted human to "take more big swings" -- is for humans who do not yet regularly Believe, to Awaken. The more wildness and magic back in the world, the more there is to believe in, the more that is capable of rousing us. Remember how someone mentioned that in here recently? Wanting a mass awakening? It was on the agenda, do not worry friend. It's time for people to wake up and see.

Wake up!

-- so, yes, if you were to incorporate some of the elements I reference above -- bones, feathers, vegetation, mirrors -- in your personal work and did so tonight, or even tomorrow night, I bet that would be enormously helpful. Thank you! Craft a ritual in a way that feels to you like you are doing something magical. Settle yourself in a space where you feel safe and turn your mind inward to the mystic and unseen. Use the physical items to root your communication and then guide the developments with your own thoughts when you feel it catching. Toward the end, if it feels as though you have accomplished something, there will likely be a lull between the sensation of your effect being accepted into greater reality and then that of the ritual ending. You can use this space to ask for any personal favors that you consider important enough to bring up on an ontology night. The Entities with Whom I usually work are perfectly content to tend to little human worries with leftover energy, so long as we tackle the big things first. They want us to be happy. Bring an offering for your Entity, if you have an idea of the one you wish to be in touch with and what They like to be offered. Please remember to thank Them after.

The more energies and entities that find their way to a gate and get through, the more can be experienced in this world that does not "line up" with purely scientific and rational explanation. Flood the world with magic, and we will experience the New Age the way we are meant to.

Happy Holy Tide :)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ganymede full of pickles confirmed

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1719369403790164369?s=20

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

:tipshat:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Thank you! I will try

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wanna lick that ganymede

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

bye Europa, Ganymede is the cool kid now

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Affirming jupiter brines pickles

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You take a shot of Europa then you lick some ganymede off your hand, there's room for both

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
it's the home planet of chickfila's briney rear end sandwich

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1719395364292141357?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Why do we need a secure reporting system for reporting balloons and terrestrial aircraft?