Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Actually considering chunking my wilhelt deck. just doesn't move as fast as i want it to be and i'd rather not just have it collect dust.

Will 100% use those funds on the sliver deck. Also wouldn't be surprised if zombies get an assload of support that makes me regret this decision but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I was having the same feeling about my Gisa and Geralf deck. It's a little too boom and bust (mostly bust) for my liking.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, I made mono-black zombies, but I didn't really make it to be good. I basically only want to make huge piles of 2/2 zombie tokens and get completely blown out by the next board wipe

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Balon posted:

Ya basically lol - this one is all about letting your deck be what it wants to be, or at least listening to your deck and figuring out what parts work and don’t.

Thanks for watching y’all!

This gave me a lot to think about for two of my decks. Thank you!

One thing I have enjoyed about commander so far is having multiple ideas cooking at once, in different stages of gestation, being able to shift focus away from a deck that isn’t working or that you aren’t thinking about in the correct way, and then being able to come back to it later with a refreshed perspective.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I had a Dina deck that just lost luster and wasn't all that good and then Zimone and Dina came out and that took all my deck building excitement for a long time. That deck is fun as hell.

Another one like that has been the Warhammer imperium deck where I just can't find an esper theme I liked, where it lived life as the knights precon with some upgrades and then into an extremely jank but effective combo deck with Calgar and tokens, and now it's a Raffine deck focused on way too many things and might just get shelved for something else entirely.

Deck building is super fun for me. Ive been accumulating good full art dual lands in boros from all the sets over the past two years because I don't have anything with boros colors in it at all. Then I found Duke Under Ravengard in my trade binder and got an idea. So I then dug through my giant bulk box and found every stupid idiot thing that had an etb effect or a good on combat damage effect and had flying or some other evasion. Then I saw a legendary card (eomer) from the LOTR set that gave extra combats when another legendary died and quickly realized that went infinite with a myriad effect. So after some piling together all the random poo poo and laying out a skeleton of a deck, I feel really confident at my pile of junk that could honestly be a precon. Moxfield says it costs $120 altogether even though I'm very sure it's over evaluating the price of all the commons in the deck, and there's a lot of commons, and a few of the lands from the past sets are kinda expensive apparently but no one even wanted to trade for them so effectively they have no actual value. Ok so I did shove an ancient gold dragon in there but that's really the only non-land card worth more than $2 in the deck

But that was really fun for me and reminded me of why I like sealed/limited prerelease events so much.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I’m close to done with my War Doctor deck and I’m really excited to try it out. I just want to shoot someone for like 70 damage (and then copy the ability and shoot someone else for the same amount).

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

if it has red, you can throw in Kediss and single tap all 3 players at once.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Dizz posted:

if it has red, you can throw in Kediss and single tap all 3 players at once.

I'm not sure that works. The big damage from The War Doctor is from its triggered ability as it attacks, not combat damage.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

oh right it's loving combat damage only

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You can still tap all three with Clara and Luxior.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
War Doctor//Adric is probably the cleaner play for a table kill imo, especially if you have an untapper for Adric or a Strionic Resonator.

And, if not, War Doctor//Adric can still KO the two biggest threats and you can hope the remaining player can't stop you for one more turn.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Framboise posted:

War Doctor//Adric is probably the cleaner play for a table kill imo, especially if you have an untapper for Adric or a Strionic Resonator.

And, if not, War Doctor//Adric can still KO the two biggest threats and you can hope the remaining player can't stop you for one more turn.

I think the going expectation is WD/Ryan Sinclair and bonus combats, but Doctor/Adric is am option.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
One amusing suggestion from the Command Zone podcast was War Doctor/K-9 with Flamekin Herald and no 0 MV spells in the deck.

Get the War Doctor and the Herald out, then cast K-9. K-9 cascades for 0, fails to find anything, and each card you exile during the cascade is a separate trigger for the War Doctor's first ability, meaning you wind up with time counters equal to the number of cards remaining in your deck, which then reshuffles itself.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

W.T. Fits posted:

One amusing suggestion from the Command Zone podcast was War Doctor/K-9 with Flamekin Herald and no 0 MV spells in the deck.

Get the War Doctor and the Herald out, then cast K-9. K-9 cascades for 0, fails to find anything, and each card you exile during the cascade is a separate trigger for the War Doctor's first ability, meaning you wind up with time counters equal to the number of cards remaining in your deck, which then reshuffles itself.

A pretty slick budget idea, since the 0-mana things you'd cut are all obnoxiously expensive mana artifacts.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Why does each card trigger separately? I would figure "exile until" would count as one instance of exiling cards.

e: Also I figure you'd want blue for, like, thoughtlash.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 28, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Dr. Stab posted:

Why does each card trigger separately? I would figure "exile until" would count as one instance of exiling cards.

Because Cascade is technically you repeatedly going "I exile the top card of my library, can I cast it with this Cascade y/n, if n repeat". You have to pause between each card for it to work in a physical card game, so it has to be multiple separate instances of exiling a card.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

Whenever you "exile cards from the top of your library until you find [thing]," the game has to stop between each exiled card to check, "Hey, is this [thing]?" If it's not, it exiles the next card and checks again. So each exiled card is a separate instance of something being exiled.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

The way I heard Wheeler talk about the Cascade thing is each card individually gets exiled because you have to perform the mana value check on each card. Similar to how Tainted Pact checks per card if any of the exiled cards share a name so triggers Laelia, the Blade Reforged a bunch of times if you want.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

The way I heard Wheeler talk about the Cascade thing is each card individually gets exiled because you have to perform the mana value check on each card. Similar to how Tainted Pact checks per card if any of the exiled cards share a name so triggers Laelia, the Blade Reforged a bunch of times if you want.

That's how Gavin Verhey played it on the Shuffle up and Play ep he was on too, and he would know.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, you can see it in action here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2-m4AtUL_8

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I made a dwarf-equipment EDH deck, not sure how well it does, not sure if I want Bruenor to be my commander to make use of the free equipment or one of the other legendary dwarfs who just gives dwarves a buff and let me add dwarves to my hand.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I give up on my LOTR-only food deck, its such a poo poo deck.

I want to use the base of the deck but also include cards from other/all sets.

I cannot find food as a deck type on edhrec? Do food decks fall under the lifegain type? I see Frodo appears as a commander in that category.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

I give up on my LOTR-only food deck, its such a poo poo deck.

I want to use the base of the deck but also include cards from other/all sets.

I cannot find food as a deck type on edhrec? Do food decks fall under the lifegain type? I see Frodo appears as a commander in that category.

yeah, looks like food isn't tracked separately and it all falls under "lifegain" (and a quick glance at some of the decks shows some pretty useful crossover synergies for lifegain + tokens + artifact/sacrifice)

I'd probably just start looking through Frodo decks based on price/salt/etc. for ideas

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

You can filter decks by the cards that they include, so if an archetype doesn't appear in the drop-down you can just have it only show you decks that contain cards that you consider staples in that archetype

So, for example, if Aristocrats wasn't in the drop-down I would still be able to tell it to show me only decks that contain zulaport cutthroat, blood artist, carrion feeder etc

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Abzan got a ton of food support in WOE, the LOTR-only is really hampering you there. Night of Sweet's Revenge, Tough Cookie, etc.

I made a Yenna, Redtooth Regent deck. It's been fun to play but nothing else has made me learn so many rules. It's pretty common to cheat an aura into play, and attaching it can sometimes evade shroud. I'm constantly having to count enchantments on my board, on the whole battlefield, auras specifically, enchantments+creatures. Timestamps on auras, checking if the aura's giving an effect or giving the creature an effect, e.g. Snake Umbra's effect overwritten by Kenrith's Transformation. It ends up kinda voltron-y, stacking auras on a creature or two and Yenna making copies of everything.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Could use some help improving my dwarves deck.

There are several different interactions and win conditions I liked but clearly it isn't doing any of them particularly well.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/8uiwqMTyKkWWNM5VIuOCPw

I had Hellkite Tyrant in thinking maybe its doable to slowly in a longer commander game get 20 artifacts and maybe in case I face other artifacts but between needing to deal damage and that I've yet to have all that many artifacts out in play this isn't working.

I threw in some board wipes because clearly not having them meant in some games against either goblins or elemental/counter spam my board state would get untentable unless they were very slow.

I threw in stuff for treasure tokens but while they've been helpful in working around mana crunch and are on theme I dunno if its better to have different interaction.

I also don't know if I have the right commander, I mainly have her in to try to tutor for dwarves but if I'm tutoring for dwarves I'm thinking I'm already in trouble and need something that better synnergizes better if I'm trying to do an equipment theme or maybe I should switch to vehicles?

The two main pointers as I understand it is either build an Equipment deck first with Dwarf tribal second and try to add in more of the "good" equipments, or pivot more towards vehicles?

Thoughts?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

LCC Lost Caverns of Ixalan Commander precon decklist preview links

E:

LCC Notable reprints in the precons (Prices included, but they will be outdated shortly anyway)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I need Don Andres in spanish

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Thanks I was able to get the vampire one before my LGS pumped the price. Exquisite blood paid for 90% of the deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

MasterBuilder posted:

Thanks I was able to get the vampire one before my LGS pumped the price. Exquisite blood paid for 90% of the deck.

I wanted Exquisite Blood for so long, then my playgroup's power level ramped up, leading to us all getting sick of infinite combos, two-card ones especially.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Where's a good place to buy non-english cards? I keep hearing that TCGplayer has a language filter but I can not figure it out

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

My two favorite cards in Spanish are Myr Sire and Hall of the Bandit Lord. It looks like TCG Player doesn't have a language filter but Star City Games does: https://starcitygames.com/search/advanced/

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Farewell in spanish is really good, but I'll check star city for some stuff

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/lost-caverns-of-ixalan-spoilers-november-1-precon-decklists-and-cascading-etb-dino

Scroll down for complete decklists.

This is the first time in a long time I kinda want all the precons partially due to the reprints but also due to some really interesting looking tribal shenanigans.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Spanish Manlove posted:

I need Don Andres in spanish

*laughs Xanatharly*

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Where's a good place to buy non-english cards? I keep hearing that TCGplayer has a language filter but I can not figure it out

You have to pick a card printing first, then you can filter by language. Afaik there's no way to make it show you every card on sale in a specific language or even every card in a specific store in a specific language.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Exquisite Blood has always lived in that uncomfortable space where it's too good for bad tables and too bad for good tables. I'm happy they reprinted it, because modern era cards really shouldn't be $50 because they've only ever had 1 real printing, and that some people can get a free precon by flipping theirs.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm always a little down on creature theme decks ("typal" is such an awkward word) due to how limited in scope they can be, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued to pick up the pirates or vamps or merfolk just to have some casual power level decks on hand.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Two people at a pod I played in last weekend got salty because I said the mill in my Anowon deck was incidental. The only three cards in there that explicitly mill are: Anowon, Thieves' Guild Enforcer, and Soaring Thought-Thief. I had those three out. I did 16 combat damage one turn and got a big Notorious Throng off. I actually milled two people out.

E:

To be clear, I usually just try to beat. Anowon's mill is just there to draw cards, Thieves' Guild Enforcer is just a cheap Rogue, and Soaring Thought-Thief is a pseudo-lord.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Commander players being fountains of salt? Well I've never.

You have to be copying kicked maddening cacophony before it would raise my eye brow in edh.