Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
As horrible as it is, the fact that it isn’t something that happens regularly and is in fact quite rare probably will mean no changes to equipment rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I accidently watched the video on twitter and I wouldn't recommend it but the movement that it took from the other skater for this to happen was so odd and nothing that I've ever seen before watching hockey that it's hard not to just view this as a complete fluke....

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Didn't Gretzky wear an actual turtleneck sweater on the ice

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I don't know about other leagues, but the OHL has required neck guards for like 15 years. So basically anyone who's come out of that league and doesn't wear one has decided to ditch it.

Also, they definitely wear them as loose as possible because you'll see about 5-10 fall onto the ice during a game.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
All players should wear neck guards but have bowties printed on them to class it up

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
The players refused to wear kevlar ankle guards after Karlsson's (I think) achilles got ruptured - there is no world in which they accept mandatory neck guards unfortunately

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Players are stupid idiots about safety and will always choose comfort over protection. But it's not like it's unique to NHLers, or hockey players, or even athletes in general. People are dumb about safety in general. How many traffic laws only exist because people don't take basic care of themselves (ie seatbelt, helmet laws) and someone in a leadership position finally put their foot down and said "you guys are all dumb, do this now". I'm sure most workplace safety rules fall into the same bucket of "we know it's easier/faster/less annoying, but if you keep doing it someone will die, so no".

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Of all the safety stuff players are dumb about, this doesn't seem that bad to me. Though no doubt there are bunch of close calls I can't remember or don't know about, there've been like 70,000 NHL games in the last 50 years and there are 2 instances of this sort of thing actually happening. Not that I credit the players for doing a sober, rational analysis, but I think you can easily argue that statistically that it's pretty much fine to not worry about it more than they do.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I accidently watched the video on twitter and I wouldn't recommend it but the movement that it took from the other skater for this to happen was so odd and nothing that I've ever seen before watching hockey that it's hard not to just view this as a complete fluke....

It's happened at least twice in the NHL (malarchuk and zednik)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I don't know about other leagues, but the OHL has required neck guards for like 15 years. So basically anyone who's come out of that league and doesn't wear one has decided to ditch it.

Also, they definitely wear them as loose as possible because you'll see about 5-10 fall onto the ice during a game.

Hockey Canada requires laceration neck guards for youth age groups. USA Hockey requires mouth guards. There's nothing more surreal than a US team playing a Canadian team and wearing what's only required by their association.

The laceration neck guards do come attached to turtlenecks, but the small neck collar ones work similarly well. The goalie ones are much more important as you will catch a puck to the neck and it can protect you from getting a serious injury on a regular play. Oshie's Warroad company makes so good quality ones too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Miraculously, only one baseball player was ever killed by a pitch during a Major League game. That was in 1920. It would be another 35 years after that before Major League Baseball finally began to mandate batting helmets for players.

A first base coach was killed by a line drive during a minor league game in 2007. After that, MLB finally began to mandate helmets for base coaches.

No pitcher has been killed by a line drive yet. Quite a few have come close. Eventually it will happen.

Similarly, it was obvious to anyone with a brain that it was only a matter of time before a fan was killed by a flying puck at an NHL game. Nothing was done about it. Then it happened, and it was a 13 year old girl, and lo and behold, nets went up.

Just the way it is. No one really cares until someone dies. I think chances are the NHL probably will begin to mandate neck guards within the next few years, now that a player has finally, inevitably, been killed by a skate to the neck. And if not, they absolutely will after the second time it happens.

e: I could also cite head restraining devices and other driver safety features in race cars. NASCAR had a spate of drivers killed in wrecks in the late 90s, and did nothing, and then their superstar driver was killed during their flagship race, and lo and behind, in came the obvious safety measures. Same story, all over sports.

Maybe the neck guards won't come in this time, because no one's ever heard of Adam Johnson (I'm a Pens fan and I admit I don't remember him at all) and no one cares about the fledgling English hockey league. It'll never happen to Sidney Crosby, you say. Probably not. Then again, that's what NASCAR thought...

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 30, 2023

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
There was a former jet who got his leg cut in a practice and almost died but another player held it closed until paramedics got there. I have in my mind that it was Mark Flood and Ben Chiarot but I can't find anything

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
The Sharks should commission a giant shark rear end and then skate out through that at the beginning of games for the rest of the season.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I cannot imagine wearing a turtle neck on top of all the other equipment, purely from a comfort standpoint. People should definitely be wearing them though, especially at youth levels.

One year, the youth team that I was on had mandatory embroidered turtlenecks for games and practices because the coach and his wife thought it looked nice. We played awful all year, and it was probably the worst on-ice year ever. Those things were so uncomfortable.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
There's a barstool Rangers dipshit "just asking questions" about whether the throat incident was on purpose and I didn't think I could be surprised by how low that org will go but here we are. Jfc what an rear end in a top hat.

I'm not gonna link it because I don't want him getting any engagement on it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Matt Zerella posted:

There's a barstool Rangers dipshit "just asking questions" about whether the throat incident was on purpose and I didn't think I could be surprised by how low that org will go but here we are. Jfc what an rear end in a top hat.

i feel like there is a wide gulf between "hockey player doing something dangerous in the middle of a game" and "he was trying to literally kill a guy"

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Just stop reading after you see “barstool”

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

WeaponX posted:

I think I had him in my follows from the playoffs two years ago. I've made exceptions in the past (Big Cat, PFT) but yeah that dudes gone from the TL now.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bedard vs Cooley tonight, kinda surprised I haven't heard more about it. Usually the hockey media loves to hype up when two top rookies play each other for the first time.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mcmagic posted:

I've watched it 10 times. It was basically a superkick to the throat with a blade.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I've watched it 10 times

You are a sick gently caress.

Not as sick as someone who suggests it was literal murder for clicks though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Eric the Mauve posted:

You are a sick gently caress.

Not as sick as someone who suggests it was literal murder for clicks though.

I didn't mean that I watched it 10 times because I liked it. I wanted to be able to make sense of the horrible thing that happened. I have a weird thing about needing to understand why a young person dies in a manner like that. It's a weird death phobia I'm working through in therapy. I basically didn't sleep for 2 days when Damar Hamlin had that freak accident on MNF and I reacted basically the same way.

I don't think it was murder. I don't think the other player had intention to kill. But I think he absolutely wanted to injure to some degree and was reckless about it.

Is there any hockey move that would require a player to lift his blade up that high of he wasn't trying to avoid tripping over someone down on the ice in front of him?

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 30, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Matt Zerella posted:

There's a barstool Rangers dipshit "just asking questions" about whether the throat incident was on purpose and I didn't think I could be surprised by how low that org will go but here we are.
:tinfoil: :wtf: By who? To what end? This is bafflingly stupid.

WeaponX posted:

:hmmyes:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I've watched it 10 times. It was basically a superkick to the throat with a blade.

I've literally never seen a hockey play like that before. If they kicked the guy that did it out of the league it would probably be justified. I don't think he should be charged with anything though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I have seen guys do a stomping motion towards a guy who’s down on the ice in the NHL, but not directed at the neck. I think that’s an automatic major?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Is there any hockey move that would require a player to lift his blade up that high of he wasn't trying to avoid tripping over someone down on the ice in front of him?

No. I have not watched it, and will not watch it. There is no legitimate hockey move that requires you to lift your skates above even knee level.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

deoju posted:

:tinfoil: :wtf: By who? To what end? This is bafflingly stupid.

The twitter nazi talking point is that it's a hate crime and more proof of blah blah racism

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jhet posted:

No. I have not watched it, and will not watch it. There is no legitimate hockey move that requires you to lift your skates above even knee level.

And yet it happens all the time.

You have to remember that this is a lower level pro league, not NHLers. The guy whose skate cut Johnson was trying to check another player ahead of Johnson, but the opponent was moving slightly faster so he's leaning forward to hit the shoulder as they make contact. Because he's off balance his leg swings up to try to keep from falling over. If you skate with all your weight leaned forward on one leg and someone shoves you, your leg will come up too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
You'll never guess why hockey fans are questioning if this particular player did it on on purpose

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

And yet it happens all the time.

You have to remember that this is a lower level pro league, not NHLers. The guy whose skate cut Johnson was trying to check another player ahead of Johnson, but the opponent was moving slightly faster so he's leaning forward to hit the shoulder as they make contact. Because he's off balance his leg swings up to try to keep from falling over. If you skate with all your weight leaned forward on one leg and someone shoves you, your leg will come up too.

It does happen yes, but it's not a legitimate move. That's not how you're taught to check either, you shouldn't be leaning forward, you should be keeping your legs in control and on the ice and should be loading your weight above your core so you can keep your balance.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

You'll never guess why hockey fans are questioning if this particular player did it on on purpose

no, DoPS isn't involved

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

I don't think it was murder. I don't think the other player had intention to kill. But I think he absolutely wanted to injure to some degree and was reckless about it.

I haven't watched the video so I can't comment on the specifics of what happened but I would wager my entire bank account against the proposition that the player intended to injure Johnson with his skate blade.

For one thing the best people to judge intent would be the other high level players of the game and there has been nobody inside the actual hockey world (people who live and breath hockey and take part / watch it as their job every day) who has viewed the clip and suggested that it was anything other than an accidental and unintended outcome of the play. From what I've seen all of the people saying that are people who have no obvious familiarity with the sport and they don't know how to read what is happening from the perspective of someone who does.

I remember reading about how match fixing in soccer often involves as little as 3 or 4 players on the team of 11 being in on the scam and how it's impossible for the average person observing the game who isn't a high level soccer player to identify what is going on... because it involves someone intentionally being out of position by as little as a few feet or reacting a second late to something and people who don't live in that world just aren't equipped to see that.. but other soccer players can see it, they know exactly what's going on and it stands out to them like a sore thumb.

Same thing here.. if the guy intended to kick Johnson with his skate blade, that would be plainly obvious to his team-mates and the community.

Now if you're saying that he was intentionally trying to injure another player with a reckless hit and because of the collision that had the unintended consequence of slashing Johnson's throat then that may well be what actually happened, but that is also be accepted by most hockey players as an unfortunate reality of playing the game - people are going play aggressively and be reckless / out of control with their bodies sometimes in hockey.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjkmDhOeLj0

I was looking for something scary to screen on my projector while I hand out candy and I found the perfect thing

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
a fun fact about the NHL's commitment to player safety is that it is against the rules to wear a full cage/shield unless you are injured/recovering from an injury and get approval

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

But it's totally OK to wear a tiny mockery of a visor and have your career ended by a horrific eye injury. Like a real man!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

clean ayers act posted:

a fun fact about the NHL's commitment to player safety is that it is against the rules to wear a full cage/shield unless you are injured/recovering from an injury and get approval

That's also from the players.

The NHLPA doesn't care about safety, just maximizing earnings.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Starsfan posted:

I haven't watched the video so I can't comment on the specifics of what happened but I would wager my entire bank account against the proposition that the player intended to injure Johnson with his skate blade.

For one thing the best people to judge intent would be the other high level players of the game and there has been nobody inside the actual hockey world (people who live and breath hockey and take part / watch it as their job every day) who has viewed the clip and suggested that it was anything other than an accidental and unintended outcome of the play. From what I've seen all of the people saying that are people who have no obvious familiarity with the sport and they don't know how to read what is happening from the perspective of someone who does.

I remember reading about how match fixing in soccer often involves as little as 3 or 4 players on the team of 11 being in on the scam and how it's impossible for the average person observing the game who isn't a high level soccer player to identify what is going on... because it involves someone intentionally being out of position by as little as a few feet or reacting a second late to something and people who don't live in that world just aren't equipped to see that.. but other soccer players can see it, they know exactly what's going on and it stands out to them like a sore thumb.

Same thing here.. if the guy intended to kick Johnson with his skate blade, that would be plainly obvious to his team-mates and the community.

Now if you're saying that he was intentionally trying to injure another player with a reckless hit and because of the collision that had the unintended consequence of slashing Johnson's throat then that may well be what actually happened, but that is also be accepted by most hockey players as an unfortunate reality of playing the game - people are going play aggressively and be reckless / out of control with their bodies sometimes in hockey.

You're probably right. To my untrained eye it looked like a Shawn Michaels superkick to the throat.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Didn't Gretzky wear an actual turtleneck sweater on the ice

Nah, the hockey player you're thinking of is Toronto Maple Leaf Legend Thomas Plikanec

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Call Your Grandma posted:

Nah, the hockey player you're thinking of is Toronto Maple Leaf Legend Thomas Plikanec

Mods??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Call Your Grandma posted:

Mods ban this filth