Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’d love some annotations for this series, I didn’t know that kinjiro ninomiya statues were a relatively common sight at japanese schools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I can't wait for the anime version of this sequence. This was a cool as hell chapter as per usual, but it's going to be so much better with the actual song playing.

This manga rules.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

gently caress yea

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Another sequence of panels one can hear. Glorious.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Just some incredible spreads this week. You can just feel the raw emotion in them.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jerkface posted:

gently caress yea

The loudest silence

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nemo2342 posted:

Just some incredible spreads this week. You can just feel the raw emotion in them.

That first spread is godlike. This is probably gonna sound crazy, but it feels like it's conveying a lot motion despite being a single static image.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I fear that, if we ever get to the anime depicting these scenes, we will get let down by whatever music they pick. I'm feeling rad speed or thrash metal when i see the spreads but we will likely be getting jpop or weak gackt grade rock in an animated series.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 30, 2023

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Electric Phantasm posted:

That first spread is godlike. This is probably gonna sound crazy, but it feels like it's conveying a lot motion despite being a single static image.

Not crazy at all -- it's a really masterful 'guiding' of the eye around the page; it's the easiest thing in the world to follow the action from the head of the school monster, to the statues pouring out of it and running along the arms. Your eye moves over them, and as they are all in alternating running poses the effect is not unlike animation -- then you follow the figures along the bottom and left side of the page to the action down at the festival float, and it's probably at that point you're seamlessly moving down to the next panel focusing on Momo in the float.

It's a neat trick and it's so striking because it's rarely done so incredibly skillfully. You can see sort of the same thing going on in some Chainsaw Man spreads too (like Asa and whatsername running from the Bat Devil early on -- this is going to sound crazy but that sequence feels like sine Little Nemo comics or others where the action can be more fluid and not really bounded by panels).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

SlowBloke posted:

I fear that, if we ever get to the anime depicting these scenes, we will get let down by whatever music they pick. I'm feeling rad speed or thrash metal when i see the spreads but we will likely be getting jpop.

There is no way they will put JPOP over this spread, man. Anime knows how to rock

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

I fear that, if we ever get to the anime depicting these scenes, we will get let down by whatever music they pick. I'm feeling rad speed or thrash metal when i see the spreads but we will likely be getting jpop or weak gackt grade rock in an animated series.

i was hearing the 2nd kaiji OP when i read it

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jerkface posted:

There is no way they will put JPOP over this spread, man. Anime knows how to rock

I don't remember any recent anime with proper metal soundtracks, even bastard (which is mostly referencing metal bands in his characters) had a generic rocking one.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

SlowBloke posted:

I was getting Babymetal vibes, personally, but I think the vocals are gonna matter a lot more than the accompaniment for this scene; whatever song they choose is gonna need some incredibly powerful vocals that in-series makes everyone stop in their tracks in shock that it's coming from her.

And especially if she gets ghost powers after this and is gonna stick around. Hoping that she transforms into some vampiric glam queen

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SlowBloke posted:

I don't remember any recent anime with proper metal soundtracks, even bastard (which is mostly referencing metal bands in his characters) had a generic rocking one.

Aggretsuko maybe?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

literally my only problem here is that i don't know if she's metal screaming or if she's idol singing, it's so important

she's doing an idol hand so i am assuming the latter

dandadan man please figure out how to make paper play an audio track

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Not crazy at all -- it's a really masterful 'guiding' of the eye around the page; it's the easiest thing in the world to follow the action from the head of the school monster, to the statues pouring out of it and running along the arms. Your eye moves over them, and as they are all in alternating running poses the effect is not unlike animation -- then you follow the figures along the bottom and left side of the page to the action down at the festival float, and it's probably at that point you're seamlessly moving down to the next panel focusing on Momo in the float.

It's a neat trick and it's so striking because it's rarely done so incredibly skillfully. You can see sort of the same thing going on in some Chainsaw Man spreads too (like Asa and whatsername running from the Bat Devil early on -- this is going to sound crazy but that sequence feels like sine Little Nemo comics or others where the action can be more fluid and not really bounded by panels).

Thanks for putting this all into words. I've been going over the spread multiple times it really is a neat trick.

Patware posted:

literally my only problem here is that i don't know if she's metal screaming or if she's idol singing, it's so important

she's doing an idol hand so i am assuming the latter

dandadan man please figure out how to make paper play an audio track

Why not both?

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

totally rockin'!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's okay, the anime adaptation will use Maximum the Hormone.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

My mental image of scenes like this (where a character is singing without any actual song) is always kind of muddled. It's the sort of thing where you have to do the mental equivalent of squinting for it to make sense. Like I have this vague concept of someone going "wahh!!" in my head but any attempt to make things clearer mentally runs into a wall.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I'm hearing this

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
This manga is incredible.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

you are insane. static images can't suggest movement

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Farg posted:

you are insane. static images can't suggest movement

Uh… yes they can?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Am I just being dense and you’re making a joke?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

lmao

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

He’s not really pervy, he just thinks it will make him popular with girls

everyone be nice to thetoughestbean, a fellow early kinta understander

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

GloomMouse posted:

I'm hearing this

Same

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I immediately thought of this song from Bigtop Burger (It's kinda spoilery I guess? go watch the entire first season here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zyx-iyc5Mk&t=116s

spookykid fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 1, 2023

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
gently caress yeah Big Top Burger rules.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

Am I just being dense and you’re making a joke?

"static" images. It's in the name literally. they got a word for moving images and its a gif

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, you're an idiot. thanks, that clears things up.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
post literally one static image that suggests movement then.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Farg posted:

post literally one static image that suggests movement then.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
lol that's a gif. try harder

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dandadan is good

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This image gives me a headache. It's triggering some bug in the motors of my eyes that makes them confused about what to focus on it.

edit: I literally can't focus on the center part, my eyes keeps involuntarily crossing and losing focus. This is a dangerous image that should be banned by the government, IMO

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Farg posted:

"static" images. It's in the name literally. they got a word for moving images and its a gif

Farg more like fart lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Farg posted:

lol that's a gif. try harder

Nope. Jpg. Says so right in the address.