Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

That Works posted:

Did they forget the part where ultimately ALL nations must turn against Israel to usher in the next steps in Revalations etc?

I always wondered how evangelicals squared that circle but not enough to try and ask my family about it. Any ideas?

I can speak a bit to this. Fair warning on this topic I think right-wing evangelicals and in particular premillenial dispensationalists are a blight on modern Christianity and am unable to give an objective view. Anyway, for the most part they think they'll be raptured beforehand. Later the antichrist will seize control of the world and launch an attack on Israel. With the evangelicals gone, America will lose all its morals and decency and will probably be ruled by Barack HUSSEIN Obumbler or that witch Hillary by that point, and Democrats hate Israel so naturally they'll join in to attack it. The majority of Jews will be killed, but a few will realize that the evangelicals were right all along and throw themselves down begging for help, at which point Jesus along with his heavenly host will rescue the ones who convert. You might also wonder why a religious framework that culminates in the annihilation of the Jews calls everyone else anti-semitic, and it's pretty much all projection. Usually these guys are anti-semitic as gently caress, but ending the Jews is a job for the Christian endtimes, Hamas is moving in on their turf!

That's not a complete timeline, what events happen varies heavily between groups who all say this is from a "literal" reading of the Bible. In any event, this prophecy was basically made up out of whole cloth in the 1800s by John Darby and was further refined by Cyrus Scofield. It's formed by taking unrelated passages from various books of the prophets and Revelation and smushing them together, running them through a particular frame, and selectively reinterpreting or ignoring passages in order to get it to say what you want (which is basically "literalism" in a nutshell). Usually modern supporters aren't even drinking direct from the well, though, they're getting the ideas from failed prognosticators like Hal Lindsey and LaHaye & Jenkins of Left Behind fame.

eta- kind of a worthless snipe, but I don't have any news to share that hasn't already been discussed by the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

bulletsponge13 posted:

OK, you can disregard the connection if you feel, but it appears pretty obvious to me that they killed his family after having tried to apply pressure not only through their people, but the US on AJ reporting. Maybe I'm a naysayer, but given the Israeli conduct and the suspicious timing, it seems clear to me.

Not trying to sound dismissive or dickish.

I don't think you're being dismissive or dickish. My issue is that it comes across as a conspiracy, which I see so much in right wing discourse as a 'just asking questions' sort of argument.

Israel and the US apply pressure to try to get AJ to tone down their reporting. Ok. Shortly after an AJ's family is killed in an Israeli airstrike. Terrible. Is it connected? There's no evidence, but that would be hard to come by. Does it make sense? Well, does it make AJ likely to change their policy? I'd say no. If the goal is to silence AJ, then "accidentally" killing a bunch of their journalists would seem to be a better way of doing this-- the US found itself rather accident prone as it was invading Iraq in '03.

And beyond that, it isn't at all unreasonable that this person's family was killed incidentally. Dozens of families are being killed every day by Israel. Everyone killed has connections to other people which could be construed as having some deeper meaning. Most of them however are simply casualties of war.

It's my turn to apologize in advance for being a jerk, I'm not so much targeting you, as this style of argument. And you're at least being clear in the connection you're making instead of insisting it remain vague and hence impossible to argue against.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Nah, you're good- I didn't take your tone as nefarious. I'm just jaded and come across as an rear end in a top hat online, so I'm overly cautious about it here in the Something Awful villages.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Every day is a new crack-ping moment for me, and today, it's the Saudis who are pro-genocide (of Palestinians) because:

I) Allah promised the Holy Land to the Jews
II) Palestinians are not "real" Arabs but instead a mix of Turkish, Armenian, Roman, and other lesser races (in Saudi race science, I guess)
III) Palestinians were allegedly bad guests as refugees in generations past, and it is Netanyahu's prerogative and responsibility to rid the world of them

It's hosed enough as it is but then you get the Israelis retweeting that stuff captioned with "HONEST ARAB TELLS IT LIKE IT IS" and I realize I am once again smelling burnt toast

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dopilsya posted:

I can speak a bit to this. Fair warning on this topic I think right-wing evangelicals and in particular premillenial dispensationalists are a blight on modern Christianity and am unable to give an objective view. Anyway, for the most part they think they'll be raptured beforehand. Later the antichrist will seize control of the world and launch an attack on Israel. With the evangelicals gone, America will lose all its morals and decency and will probably be ruled by Barack HUSSEIN Obumbler or that witch Hillary by that point, and Democrats hate Israel so naturally they'll join in to attack it. The majority of Jews will be killed, but a few will realize that the evangelicals were right all along and throw themselves down begging for help, at which point Jesus along with his heavenly host will rescue the ones who convert. You might also wonder why a religious framework that culminates in the annihilation of the Jews calls everyone else anti-semitic, and it's pretty much all projection. Usually these guys are anti-semitic as gently caress, but ending the Jews is a job for the Christian endtimes, Hamas is moving in on their turf!

That's not a complete timeline, what events happen varies heavily between groups who all say this is from a "literal" reading of the Bible. In any event, this prophecy was basically made up out of whole cloth in the 1800s by John Darby and was further refined by Cyrus Scofield. It's formed by taking unrelated passages from various books of the prophets and Revelation and smushing them together, running them through a particular frame, and selectively reinterpreting or ignoring passages in order to get it to say what you want (which is basically "literalism" in a nutshell). Usually modern supporters aren't even drinking direct from the well, though, they're getting the ideas from failed prognosticators like Hal Lindsey and LaHaye & Jenkins of Left Behind fame.

eta- kind of a worthless snipe, but I don't have any news to share that hasn't already been discussed by the thread

That was an informative post. :tipshat:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1829092/Erdogan-Turkey-Israel-war-Gaza

quote:

Turkey's president appears to have threatened to intervene in Gaza in an impassioned speech at a pro-Palestine rally this evening.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan delivered a speech to a rally this afternoon in which he told attendees Israel was responsible for war crimes, and framed Hamas as "freedom fighters".

In comments that have prompted Israeli outcry, and led the country to withdraw its diplomatic presence, president Erdogan suggested assaults on Gaza constituted a "massacre".

In the same speech, he reportedly said that Turkey can "come at any night unexpectedly” to ecstatic reception from hundreds of thousands of attendees.

On the one hand, I'm happy that someone is actually standing up for the Palestinians and he's saying a lot of true things. On the other hand, Turkey has so many other war crimes to their name that I was neither expecting them nor given any particular feeling that they'd lessen the war crimes going on.

On the third mutant hand growing out of my abdomen, there's no way he's serious, right? I mean he's an unstable weirdo, but there's not a chance in hell and this just has to be blowhard bullshit for domestic consumption... right?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

On the one hand, I'm happy that someone is actually standing up for the Palestinians and he's saying a lot of true things. On the other hand, Turkey has so many other war crimes to their name that I was neither expecting them nor given any particular feeling that they'd lessen the war crimes going on.

On the third mutant hand growing out of my abdomen, there's no way he's serious, right? I mean he's an unstable weirdo, but there's not a chance in hell and this just has to be blowhard bullshit for domestic consumption... right?

Erdogan has basically wrecked the Turkish economy, so stoking militant Islamist sentiments is one of the ways he's been distracting from the hyperinflation and poor government response to the earthquake earlier on the year. That, and doubling down on the Gulenist conspiracies and anti-Kurdish angle.

It's extremely unlikely he's going to do anything.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

He's also saying a bunch of false things. Hamas are in no way freedom fighters. There are or were Palestinian organizations that could be called freedom fighters, but Hamas isn't that. This isn't just a "one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter" either. They don't even wait to have control to enact systemic repressions. But yeah, this is 100% self serving on the part of Erdogan. Anything to shore up his popularity and distract from the crumbling economic situation at home.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Yeah Erdogan is a piece of poo poo and just kinda shoots his mouth off in whichever way he thinks the wind is blowing that week. He basically wants to be a little Putin being the regional dealmaker and kingpin while crushing any opposition at home. As other people have mentioned he basically goes to the islamic nationalist well whenever he thinks it's a good distraction from his fuckups or scores him political points.

He is not an ally of Palestinians or anyone who wants a free and open society.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

You know who are actual freedom fighters? The Kurds that Erdogan’s regime has been bombing heavily lately. gently caress him, his solidarity with Palestinians is only as deep as his need to distract the populace from how he has ruined Turkey.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

pantslesswithwolves posted:

You know who are actual freedom fighters? The Kurds that Erdogan’s regime has been bombing heavily lately. gently caress him, his solidarity with Palestinians is only as deep as his need to distract the populace from how he has ruined Turkey.

yeah i've been seeing that in passing, he's loving with Rojava again

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.silentlunch.net/p/did-the-entire-media-industry-misquote

Strong argument that Aljazeera (I bet intentionally because how does Aljazeera English screw up an Arabic to English translation like this) mistranslated a statement and every english news outlet blindly copied the tweet like lemmings.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

great. lovely. wonderful. as if we needed more loving misinformation.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
The author liked a post in the comments complaining that the media wasn't taking the Twitter files (and Missouri v Biden, which I had to look up) seriously enough so it could be bullshit or it could be the worst person you know meme, I'm not sure.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

ZombieApostate posted:

The author liked a post in the comments complaining that the media wasn't taking the Twitter files (and Missouri v Biden, which I had to look up) seriously enough so it could be bullshit or it could be the worst person you know meme, I'm not sure.

He also has a bunch of posts advocating for various right wing COVID conspiracy theories (lab leak, media hiding dangers of vaccines, masking doesn't do anything) so I'm not sure he's a reliable source on this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If I were a journalist, I also would not respond to that guy.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
His entire argument is they mistranslated "victims" into "deaths" which, :shrug: and he's basing it on google translate, he doesn't even speak arabic.
Seems like an extremely weak reason to decide that Al-Jazeera intentionally mistranslates stuff to propagate false narratives.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

golden bubble posted:

https://www.silentlunch.net/p/did-the-entire-media-industry-misquote

Strong argument that Aljazeera (I bet intentionally because how does Aljazeera English screw up an Arabic to English translation like this) mistranslated a statement and every english news outlet blindly copied the tweet like lemmings.

Why are you posting an insane crank who doesn't know the first thing about Arabic or anything?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

His entire argument is they mistranslated "victims" into "deaths" which, :shrug: and he's basing it on google translate, he doesn't even speak arabic.
Seems like an extremely weak reason to decide that Al-Jazeera intentionally mistranslates stuff to propagate false narratives.

He says he hired two translators. (I don’t think that fact supports the “intentional mistranslation” reading.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hiring a couple of folks on Fiverr is the worst way to get to the bottom of a statement’s meaning, next to hiring one person on Fiverr or using machine translation.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Victim / deaths / deceased / dead persons is one of those things that are going to be touchy to translate in any language pairs, so there’s going to be some editorial decisions to be made.

Source doesn’t seem reputable and this debate is getting silly. Move on.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

orange juche posted:

But something something rapture Armageddon.

Seriously, the US' Israel policy is significantly driven by evangelical wing nuts who believe that the nation of Israel is essential for Jesus to come back and rapture all the right people and leave the sinners on a ruined earth

isnt a significant part of our current stance biden's doing? congress of course controls aid funding but it's not like the executive is condemning anything or vetoing aid (on the contrary, biden is asking for it--though maybe as a cynical ploy to coax the anti-ukraine aid segment of the gop into an "ugh, fine, if we also send money to israel also" vote). he's certainly not doing it to bring on the rapture

i figured that angle was more along the lines of the usual strange bedfellows US middle east policy, where we're happy to support basically anyone that doesn't like iran and are currently way more interested in making the israelis and saudis bond over mutual dislike of iran, because having our various good and close friends who hate our mutual enemy in the region also be good friends with each other pays security dividends that we actually value, unlike human rights which we value when convenient

like sure, the executive will put out some token "we recommend maybe not doing this" rhetoric (apparently over rank and file USDOS protest that we should actually strongly recommend not doing this because long term popular sentiment matters and we're falling on the wrong side of that) but as long the israeli and saudi governments can bond over not liking iran nbd, israel can have little a warcrimes genocide as a treat

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the first president to openly criticize isreal will get impeached and or lose the next election. we have a long history of letting isreal poo poo all over us and doing absolute gently caress all about it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There's a country that flagrantly interferes in US elections routinely and it isn't Russia or China.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Proud Christian Mom posted:

There's a country that flagrantly interferes in US elections routinely and it isn't Russia or China.

It’s Australia.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Geez y'all are dense. Here is a hint, it starts with an "I."

Italy with their drat satellite

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Discussion Quorum posted:

Geez y'all are dense. Here is a hint, it starts with an "I."

Italy with their drat satellite

Buongiorno

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ded posted:

the first president to openly criticize isreal will get impeached and or lose the next election. we have a long history of letting isreal poo poo all over us and doing absolute gently caress all about it.

Kennedy probably said something.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dopilsya posted:

It's the theologization of secular concepts. If you went to a Jewish settlement in Israel/Palestine in the late 40s, odds were fairly solid that you'd run into a group of secular left-wing Labor Zionists who were pro-USSR until the mid-1950s and saw what they were doing as part of an anti-colonial project. It wasn't until later that Israeli politics moved to the right, but what "left" and "right" meant changed to being pro/anti-settlement which wouldn't have made sense in the 1950s. This is an oversimplification for the sake of brevity from a little bit I've read about it. But then you see Israelis back then looking at the Bible as a historical document and comparing what was in it to archaeological sites to create a myth for the founding of the state, but Americans did that too with Thomas Jefferson cutting out the superstitious parts of the Bible but keeping other parts. The Mormons went a step further a few decades later by adopting a new book in which Jesus comes to America.

Palestinian groups particularly by the 1960s tended to be secular and left-wing. But in different parts of the world in the 20th century around the same time, there was a similar change in different countries. Religious Zionism became more pronounced in Israel. The Islamic Revolution happened. There was the rise of Sunni jihadist groups. There was the rise of the Evangelical Christians in American politics and the "moral majority" who support an alliance between the governments of the U.S. and Israel, which are comprised of people in the real world, but framed in cosmic, metaphysical and religious terms. In the 21st century, it wouldn't surprise me to see similar changes happening in different countries in a way that will seem contradictory. The relative decline of Evangelical Christians in American politics is happening at the same time that the Iranian mullahs are coping with a lot of unhappy young people.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Israel sent a hundred armored vehicles into Jenin in the West Bank and they're tearing up the place. Not entirely clear yet what the ultimate goal is, if any.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/?post_type=liveblog_entry&p=3138831

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Cugel the Clever posted:

Israel sent a hundred armored vehicles into Jenin in the West Bank and they're tearing up the place. Not entirely clear yet what the ultimate goal is, if any.

the goal is pretty clear, it's just unclear what that goal has to do with improving literally anyone's security situation

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
https://www.reuters.com/world/graphic-pro-israel-ads-make-their-way-into-childrens-video-games-2023-10-30/

quote:

Oct 30 (Reuters) - Maria Julia Assis was sitting down to a meal in her terraced home in north London when her 6-year-old son ran into the dining room, his face pale.

The puzzle game on his Android phone had been interrupted by a video showing Hamas militants, terrified Israeli families and blurred graphic footage. Over a black screen, a message from the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs told the first grader: "WE WILL MAKE SURE THAT THOSE WHO HARM US PAY A HEAVY PRICE."

Assis, a 28-year-old barista from Brazil, said that the ad left her son shaken and she quickly deleted the game.

[...]

Reuters documented six cases – in Britain, France, Austria, Germany and Holland – where people had seen the same or similar ads as Assis' son or said their children had seen them. In the Assis family's case, the ads appeared in a game called "Alice's Mergeland" made by a developer called LazyDog Game. Other ads appeared on family-friendly digital pastimes such as the block-building game "Stack," puzzle game "Balls'n Ropes," "Solitaire: Card Game 2023," and run-and-jump adventure "Subway Surfers."

Israel confirmed it was their ad, but also said "we told the ad companies it wasn't supposed to end up in kids' games" as if that makes everything better. Christ.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

like sure, the executive will put out some token "we recommend maybe not doing this" rhetoric (apparently over rank and file USDOS protest that we should actually strongly recommend not doing this because long term popular sentiment matters and we're falling on the wrong side of that) but as long the israeli and saudi governments can bond over not liking iran nbd, israel can have little a warcrimes genocide as a treat

To the people making these decisions, "long term" means "until next November."

Cugel the Clever posted:

That pretty much is the goal, I think.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I find it hard to believe that Israel the country with multiple cyber warfare, intelligence and espionage agencies didn't know what they were doing

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Kazinsal posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/graphic-pro-israel-ads-make-their-way-into-childrens-video-games-2023-10-30/

Israel confirmed it was their ad, but also said "we told the ad companies it wasn't supposed to end up in kids' games" as if that makes everything better. Christ.

On the flipside I saw some pro Palestine drawings displayed in the town center in Splatoon 3 for the weekend's Halloween splatfest.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

I find it hard to believe that Israel the country with multiple cyber warfare, intelligence and espionage agencies didn't know what they were doing

You think they're intentionally injecting graphic ads into children's cellphone games? To what end?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Grip it and rip it posted:

You think they're intentionally injecting graphic ads into children's cellphone games? To what end?

Impressionable minds. Remember the whole thing where people were targeting obscene videos at children by infiltrating the youtube kids thing and disguising disturbing footage as something that began in a benign fashion? same deal.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That Reuters piece is going to be seen by way more people than that ad.

But yeah maybe they hosed up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My guess is that they didn’t do out of their way to advertise to children, but they didn’t go out of their way to avoid it, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

There were Israeli ads a couple weeks ago that ran during kids shows. They had a childish, colourful art with text saying they knew the kids couldn't read, but the parents could understand how terrorists are bad etc etc. Even if the kids can't read they're likely to ask their parents whats going on with this strange ad. Get 'em while they're young.