Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

skooma512 posted:

You have your aircon on when it's 39F outside?

Most automatic climate controls Ive seen default to displaying AC when set to auto, even if the AC isnt on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
In mine auto will engage the AC, and even the front defroster (for legitimate reasons) but I can switch it off even if in auto.

I wouldn't care otherwise but the AC does take a non trivial amount of power and in my car at least, alters its performance.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

About to buy a car (Rav 4) for the first time since 2015, looking forward to it sucking worse than usual somehow

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄  ̄)づ♥(∀●)

Professor Shark posted:

About to buy a car (Rav 4) for the first time since 2015, looking forward to it sucking worse than usual somehow

just normal enshittification as far as UI and your ability to work on the car, RAV4s are still solid and really good cars

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023
Only problem with the Rav4 is that they took the fullsize spare off the back, otherwise they're still good.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I'm my opinion cars have almost all taken a huge leap forward in quality, while still suffering from enshittification of the touch screens and other features aimed at the premium market. Certainly fit-and-finish, paint quality, and materials have improved. Interfaces, tire sizes, and cost, not so much.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

anonumos posted:

I'm my opinion cars have almost all taken a huge leap forward in quality, while still suffering from enshittification of the touch screens and other features aimed at the premium market. Certainly fit-and-finish, paint quality, and materials have improved. Interfaces, tire sizes, and cost, not so much.

Yeah, I know a lot of the people claim that 'they don't make it like they used to!' don't remember how lovely stuff was made back in the day. Even the crustiest crap from Aliexpress is miles better than the average stuff they made domestically in the 60's, 70' and 80's. This applies to mostly consumer goods and a lot of bigger ticket items. Everything from back in the 70's especially was some of the flimsiest crap imaginable.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Reminder that tire sizes have some flexibility, if you have an oddball size that only has a couple expensive options you should ask a tire shop if there are any options that would fit that are more common. Also tell them if you garage park or not, some brands are a lot more prone to dry rot (sun damage) than others

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄  ̄)づ♥(∀●)

car enshittification is primarily the dash/console and the way they put things together to prevent you from doing minor stuff (audis making you take off a shield to take off the wiper fluid reservoir that sits over the ECU to take out 5 torx screws to check the fusebox), parts and blocks and stuff are all better than they've ever been because materials science

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

MrQwerty posted:

car enshittification is primarily the dash/console and the way they put things together to prevent you from doing minor stuff (audis making you take off the wiper fluid reservoir that sits over the ECU to take out 5 torx scres to check the fusebox), parts and blocks and stuff are all better than they've ever been because materials science

In order to take the battery out of my wife's 2013 escape we had to remove a bunch of miserable panels under the widow. You can see the battery and interact with the posts but god forbid you can take it out.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄  ̄)づ♥(∀●)

Tarkus posted:

In order to take the battery out of my wife's 2013 escape we had to remove a bunch of miserable panels under the widow. You can see the battery and interact with the posts but god forbid you can take it out.

lol the battery in my ranger is just sitting in the tray and it doesn't fit the old brace because it's an optima, it gets new zipties every few months

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

naem posted:

I just sleep better at night knowing that I have 400 plus calories in a can that lasts for years I can thin out with carbs etc if needed even if the lights go out

*spins chair around backwards and sits down*

Let me tell you about beans, my friend.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

wash bucket posted:

Do not jeopardize the beans.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Biplane posted:

Do not jeopardize the beans.

Wouldn't dream of it. Just proposing them as an alternative to canned soup for a "just in case" pantry staple.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Sentient Data posted:

Weekly grocery ad called out the butter sale as being valid on 16oz and 13oz sizes, so that's apparently next as they run through stock

This is going to be so annoying for baking.

"Add two and 6/13ths sticks of softened butter"

naem
May 29, 2011

wash bucket posted:

Do not, my friends, become addicted to beans. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

future ghost posted:

Microsoft enforced adding a search bar to the start menu, even if you use a third party menu like Start11, in a recent set of OS updates. They also added several background app-loading processes to get around users disabling stock app loading in registry.

Those bars can also be added by GPO, though at user level you can turn it off from the taskbar settings menu.
I finally switched to Linux this year full-time because of poo poo like this. They made it so you can't avoid updates without literally unplugging your poo poo from the internet and every update broke both of my PCs to a flatten-and-reinstall degree.

They're just another scummy data vendor now and the most frustrating part is, they still make all their money through selling things. Azure runs fuckin' everything Amazon doesn't, but they still pull this poo poo.

I loved Windows from 3.1 to 8, but about halfway through 10's run, they went full Google and gently caress them forever. I'm a FOSS chick now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Elviscat posted:

They must have used the same insane algorithm they used for Facebook Marketplace.

Sure, I searched for firewood within 12 miles, but I guess I'll have a gander at this lawn tractor a state over.

The ads aren't even using keyword spam! How did this almost replace Craigslist?

I clicked on a Marketplace listing yesterday and got "This seller has vacation mode turned on and currently won't accept orders or receive messages."

How about you not show me that listing at all, then!?!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

I clicked on a Marketplace listing yesterday and got "This seller has vacation mode turned on and currently won't accept orders or receive messages."

How about you not show me that listing at all, then!?!

You might still want to buy it even if you have to wait.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Cars reached their apogee in like 2009 where they had all the modern safety features and ease of use but they didn't have touch screen entertainment systems, just bluetooth and an aux port

nulldev1ce
Aug 16, 2002
Shiny Globule

skooma512 posted:

The car decides everything. We don't argue anymore.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

nulldev1ce posted:

May be old news to everyone but me. Modern cars with HD FM usually display artist and title, but now, it's a mortgage ad?

For simplicity and usefulness reason I have always loved the concept of basic amplitude modulated radio. we will be judged as a species for what we have done to God's gift of radio transmission

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

skooma512 posted:

"should you run the heat in your car with the AC on?

The answer is yes. The air conditioning system in your car is designed to be used in conjunction with cold air and warm air. When you have your AC on, it helps to dehumidify the incoming air which makes it dryer. This is ideal for defogging or defrosting your windows and for reducing the humidity inside your vehicle."

I wish I would have known that when I was younger and lived in a cold state.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

While that's true, there is a minimum weight per gallon that the FDA allows for anything labeled "ice cream," so I'm sure you'll see more brands move to dubious naming schemes like "ice creem" (frozen dairy dessert) in the future.

breyers did this years ago!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

skooma512 posted:

Most new cars will run ac pretty much all the time to keep humidity down even when the heat is on.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Ice cream vs foaming lactate dessert

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
When you go to big stores like Target or Home Depot and suddenly your phone internet no longer works. Like god forbid you want to research products n prices, check out market. I deserve a reward for walking into your store, instead I get a punishment. Pretty evil I gotta say.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

ProperCauldron posted:

When you go to big stores like Target or Home Depot and suddenly your phone internet no longer works. Like god forbid you want to research products n prices, check out market. I deserve a reward for walking into your store, instead I get a punishment. Pretty evil I gotta say.

Do they do that? They certainly wouldn't be allowed to do that here.

Isn't it blocked because it's a big steel building?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outrail posted:

Ice cream vs foaming lactate dessert

It's an iced based snack product

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

ProperCauldron posted:

Baby's first faraday cage

naem
May 29, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Cars reached their apogee in like 2009 where they had all the modern safety features and ease of use but they didn't have touch screen entertainment systems, just bluetooth and an aux port

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CarPlay has turned me around on the huge screens

Its the best

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

euphronius posted:

It’s the best

And of course GM is trying to eradicate it to protect their OnStar revenues.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ProperCauldron posted:

Ill entirety buy into that conspiracy

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

euphronius posted:

Its the best
for sure. i hate screens that have their own custom program that has few if any updates, but driving the whole thing from my phone is amazing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was fine just using my phone as well I suppose

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lucky him

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Faustian Bargain posted:

for sure. i hate screens that have their own custom program that has few if any updates, but driving the whole thing from my phone is amazing.

You can drive with your phone now??

Technology has gone too far.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ProperCauldron posted:

Its one of those convenient lucky quirks. They typically make the buildings in such a way that 4/5g wont penetrate all the metal in the roofing and supports to the roof

It just so happens that they are totally fine with that result, it accomplishes multiple goals. Dont worry, theres in-store wifi. Connect to the internet-store wifi, we definitely arent monitoring it :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
seriously lmao if don't use a vpn for your phone