Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Based on the timing (finals was Oct. 1), I wonder if all the Le Sserafim collaboration was supposed to premiere at the OWL championship (the same way Riot revealed K/D/A during a League championship) and that got spiked by the business decision to end the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

Rawrbomb posted:

You literatly get 30 seconds to pick a character, BEFORE you can spawn into the map. What about my statement is incorrect?

What's wrong with flashpoint exactly?

You get 25 seconds to pick, then i think generally 45 seconds before match start. This assumes you are right there, ready to go. A lot of maps can take 20 seconds to get into position and thats huge. SO REALLY you have about 45 seconds or so. Thats if no one changes their character, leaves, etc. The easy and simple solution is to just remove the possibility of staggaring and have folks spawn on the defense point until the attackers spawn opens. This seems like such a unilaterally good thing that solves so many issues while providing no downside, i don't know why folks are arguing against it.

And flashpoint sucks because the maps are huge and take forever.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Valentin posted:

Based on the timing (finals was Oct. 1), I wonder if all the Le Sserafim collaboration was supposed to premiere at the OWL championship (the same way Riot revealed K/D/A during a League championship) and that got spiked by the business decision to end the league.

It'd be pretty funny if it did, since that would give the "here blizz you can copy my homework but make it so it isn't exactly the same" idea an unusual amount of validity

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I like the junk skin. It's extremely stupid looking in a way that appeals to me.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Rawrbomb posted:

I don't understand why you'd enjoy overwatch in the general, but dislike Flashpoint of all things. Can you expand on that?

the fun analyzer demands answers

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Le Sserafim was enough to get me to reinstall. What is all this new hero mastery poo poo?! I am overwhelmed.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
team fortress 2 allows you to pick which maps you want to play and has no queue time issues unless you're doing something dumb and self-inflicted like only picking a single map. maybe the big brain blizzard folks could just copy that verbatim.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jabor posted:

team fortress 2 allows you to pick which maps you want to play and has no queue time issues unless you're doing something dumb and self-inflicted like only picking a single map. maybe the big brain blizzard folks could just copy that verbatim.

TF2 have some sort of queue system now instead of servers?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

teagone posted:

Le Sserafim was enough to get me to reinstall. What is all this new hero mastery poo poo?! I am overwhelmed.

Hero Mastery is like a more fun version of the Training Facility where you try to clear the levels in the quickest, most efficient way. If you score high enough, you win bragging rights and cosmetic rewards like icons and card titles.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

For like 5 characters lmao.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

socialsecurity posted:

TF2 have some sort of queue system now instead of servers?
It's had matchmaking for a long time, it's just that it's matchmaking you onto servers and you can edit the matchmaking options to choose what maps it can join into. And then once you're on a server at the end of each game it calls a vote between 3 different maps for what to play next(I think one of these is always the map you just played, so the players can keep playing harvest or whatever over and over if they want).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

One of the things that makes that system work in TF2 is the larger player numbers in each map. It's possible that it won't scale with 5v5

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, in tf2 you can start a match with like 4 vs 6 players and it's fine because it will generally fill up to at least 10 vs 10 within like a minute or two.

Nevertheless, letting players pick maps is a strong avenue towards happy players.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

But do happy players translate into more hard cash? Don't think so.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Did CS run into issues with its matchmaking? I remember dipping my toes in some years ago and you could either quickqueue with every map currently available OR you could remove whatever maps you hated from the pool at the risk of slightly longer queue times.

I remember removing around a third and the queue times were still really good. :shrug:

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
CS can do that cause it’s one of the most played games in the world. While I don’t think OW is doing bad, I doubt they have enough people to have a ton of custom queues.

I really wish they would have just added another dps slot or two to each team instead of cutting it to 5v5, I have been playing comp mode CS in 2.0 since it came out and the balance, movement, shooting is so tight in CS that it feels like chess vs checkers comparing the two. Now, that could be because I’m just biased towards fast paced shooters like CS, but OW doesn’t feel well designed enough to be 5v5 like competitive cs or lol.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

For like 5 characters lmao.

it also seems like it's setting themselves up for failure in the future. Like what if they decided to rework a hero Roadhog or Sombra style, are they going to completely remake their hero mastery courses? Will the old scores be invalidated? Or even just small changes like giving Winston an extra second on his leap cooldown; will some of the high scores be physically impossible now?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it also seems like it's setting themselves up for failure in the future. Like what if they decided to rework a hero Roadhog or Sombra style, are they going to completely remake their hero mastery courses? Will the old scores be invalidated? Or even just small changes like giving Winston an extra second on his leap cooldown; will some of the high scores be physically impossible now?

They're gonna do whatever the intern available that day will manage to do in a week.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

My guess is the mastery courses will use whatever stats their corresponding hero had at the time of release.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Is last years Bride of Junkenstein mode back? Did they try to rebalance anything?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

Is last years Bride of Junkenstein mode back? Did they try to rebalance anything?

Yes, no

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

lmao they nerfed lifeweaver

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

d0grent posted:

lmao they nerfed lifeweaver

he had gotten to be hard to deal with but really just for life grip if they know what they're doing

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

That discord orb nerf seems pretty massive, they'll probably have to increase the time out of vision to lose it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

he had gotten to be hard to deal with but really just for life grip if they know what they're doing

+3s lifegrip cd but they also nerfed his max healing ammo to 16 and the max heal per shot to 70

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

+3s lifegrip cd but they also nerfed his max healing ammo to 16 and the max heal per shot to 70

his healing is really good, it's just often not contributing enough to the team without really choice Life Grips. I don't know if I agree with the heal nerf, but maybe it was contributing to too many trees

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

give the boy some damage

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

tbh the nerfs to liveweaver aren't that big, but their dev notes that he heals a lot is weird. what else can lw do? His damage and utility are poo poo compared to most other supports

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I frankly don't understand their logic of "lifeweaver has the highest healing output of the supports so we're nerfing it". Like, there's always going to be a support that has the most healing output by definition and if they want to encourage people to not just spam heals then maybe give people a reason to use his thorns for anything besides breaking shields/turrets

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

also lol at the cass nerf :dafuq:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You know how one of the BIGGEST mistakes players make in OW is looking at the score screen and erroneously assuming player stats are the end-all indicator of the direction the game should be heading?

The idiot devs of this game are essentially doing the same thing when it comes to hero balance, when they look at stats and base changes around those. It all makes sense, now. They are SCOREBOARD balancing. Random nonsensical changes.

They might have essentially moved Lifeweaver from the garbage can right back to the dumpster he came from with these. And they've thrown Zen in there to join him with possibly one of the most nonsensical changes they've ever made to the game with this discord nerf. If you are going to give discord an application cooldown, at least make it so it can't be removed aside from LoS, you fools. There are absolutely way too many ways to remove it for it to be any level of effective against anything, now.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

Inept posted:

also lol at the cass nerf :dafuq:

I mean..yeah. The existence of that grenade as it exists right now is just incredibly game breaking and stupid. I genuinely can't believe how some of these changes to the heroes made it out of play testing. A fuckin grenade that goes dozens of meters and literally goes around corners to stick to enemies, disabling them and doing the damage of a headshot? Seriously? Bring back the flashbang, this nerf isn't enough.

Also the zen nerf same thing. Why should you get free walls for 3 seconds just because you pressed shift and threw a discord orb. It should break immediately upon line of sight and be a much more high focus ability instead of just throwing it out for free constantly.

Still no QoL improvements like having a visual cue if you have vision on yourself, spawning at the first point for match start, or even seeing the got drat scoreboard after a match. SMH MY HEAD.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Lifeweaver was low-key busted because good ones take forever to kill and his ult is ridiculous. I'm fine with the life grip changes but I still think they went the wrong direction with his previous buffs.

Zen's discord changes are big but probably for the best for the health of the game. After playing a few rounds I didn't find it to be much of an issue, especially now that Discord can be applied from 40m again. Also, Zen having 225 HP again is crazy, and Harmony basically never falls off now. I think he's actually overall stronger than before.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

novaSphere posted:

Lifeweaver was low-key busted because good ones take forever to kill and his ult is ridiculous.

The nearly universally agreed upon worst character in the game was low key busted? I don't think you are playing the same game as most others.

The character is essentially verification that when you try to balance out lack of personal damage contribution by having more healing output than anything else in the game, you generally get worse than avg to downright poor results. Now they took away some of that extra healing that already wasn't particularly propelling the character to a workable niche and replaced it with.. nothing.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
endorsement changes are good for mentally ill people that care about endorsement level

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ana didn't need a nerf but fine I guess.
They nerfed Illari's pylon but not in the way it should have been - it should have no shields and/or should break on a timer and need to be repositioned.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Ana didn't need a nerf but fine I guess.
They nerfed Illari's pylon but not in the way it should have been - it should have no shields and/or should break on a timer and need to be repositioned.

100hp is a pretty important breakpoint, for instance now it means a sombra can just throw a virus from a safe distance at it and take it down

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Javik the Seer posted:

I mean..yeah. The existence of that grenade as it exists right now is just incredibly game breaking and stupid.

the grenade is dumb but it's not OP, it's just annoying

cass in general was already underwhelming

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

The nearly universally agreed upon worst character in the game was low key busted? I don't think you are playing the same game as most others.

The character is essentially verification that when you try to balance out lack of personal damage contribution by having more healing output than anything else in the game, you generally get worse than avg to downright poor results. Now they took away some of that extra healing that already wasn't particularly propelling the character to a workable niche and replaced it with.. nothing.

His damage sucks but his personal survivability is stupid high now, and tree is very strong. He's not busted to the degree characters like Illari or Bap are (which is why I said low-key), but he's much stronger than he's given credit for. Mind, I think he's strong in ways that don't feel rewarding or impactful to play as, but aggravating to play against because he just shits out so much healing and never dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
just for april fools or a single day I would love for them to turn healing down by like a flat 50 or 75% or something just to see what the game feels like as people adjusted