Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Odyssey FTMFW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wildtortilla posted:

I collected the 120th star in Galaxy yesterday, then realized the special challenge world is gated behind collecting all the stars as Luigi, and promptly closed the game. Part of me wants to do it because Galaxy is lots of fun and part of me wants to play something else and there's too much vying for my attention.

Maybe I'll read a book.

the “special challenge world” isn’t actually a challenge world, it’s just a short little victory lap through the area from the opening

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

hatty posted:

Im playing Odyssey again and it still rules maybe play that instead of doing the Luigi stars

Yeah I just started replaying Odyssey after Wonder, I haven't touched it since 2017 and it's still amazing. It feels so polished and complete, the whole presentation from the worlds to the costumes to the little moon objectives. Even little details like the maps in each world that have descriptions in the margins. And it doesn't waste your time at all. Just an absolutely fantastic game.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I just got Burnout Paradise. Sale price finally got me

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I have an extra voucher after beating wonder, what should I use it on?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

thehoodie posted:

What don't you have

The Peach game though

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Buy Pikmin 4

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

thehoodie posted:

Mario RPGemake 👀

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Beat Wonder, got 6 medals. Great game, but my plan to use one character per castle was ruined by there not being a castle in every world.

As I was putting the game back in its case I saw my copy Pikmin 4 and figured out what I'm gonna (re)play until Mario RPG comes out.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Has anyone played Metal Gear Solid enough to know how the Psycho Mantis fight handles not having a 2nd controller plugged in?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You can punch the psycho mantis bust behind the desk to hurt him iirc

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gorilla Radio posted:

Has anyone played Metal Gear Solid enough to know how the Psycho Mantis fight handles not having a 2nd controller plugged in?

In the PS1 version, you eventually hit a point where you have to do the thing. I didn't know about the punch the statue method at all though. But you'll be required to do that at least once to finish the last hit point. He'll just teleport away from every punch you throw from that point on. And I think bullets stop landing way before he gets that low. So one method or the other is required.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Gorilla Radio posted:

You can switch to the player 2 controller in the emulator menu accessed by pressing L1+R1

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I was really thinking about getting the MGS collection on the Switch but if they really removed all mention of Hideo Kojima's name from the games that's just incredibly hosed up. I'm sure people will barge in with examples, but I can't imagine that happening in any other big creative industry, like a movie studio re-releasing a major motion picture from a big name director like Spielberg or whatever and removing his name from the credits.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Item Getter posted:

I was really thinking about getting the MGS collection on the Switch but if they really removed all mention of Hideo Kojima's name from the games that's just incredibly hosed up. I'm sure people will barge in with examples, but I can't imagine that happening in any other big creative industry, like a movie studio re-releasing a major motion picture from a big name director like Spielberg or whatever and removing his name from the credits.

How movie studios credit people who work on their movies is pretty strictly regulated by union contracts. Those contracts would prevent a studio from removing names when issuing a re-release or remaster or whatever.

The video games industry, not as much unionised.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Item Getter posted:

The games themselves keep his name everywhere they were in the original. Its in the extra materials where they do their best not to mention him.

Hes still in all the credits and Kojima Productions logos are still in

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I collected the 120th star in Galaxy yesterday, then realized the special challenge world is gated behind collecting all the stars as Luigi, and promptly closed the game. Part of me wants to do it because Galaxy is lots of fun and part of me wants to play something else and there's too much vying for my attention.

Maybe I'll read a book.

Good news - while Galaxy does have a final two stars to get as Mario and Luigi, bringing the final count to 242, it is not in a special challenge level. It's literally just a couple minutes long and consists of collecting purple coins in the area in front of Peach's castle from the opening of the game. It's absolutely not worth it and you're missing nothing by moving on.

They didn't start doing actual final challenges until Galaxy 2.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Ohtsam posted:

The games themselves keep his name everywhere they were in the original. Its in the extra materials where they do their best not to mention him.

Hes still in all the credits and Kojima Productions logos are still in

That's not really quite as bad then I guess, just have been hearing comments about it on the Internet but didn't understand it very well and from the way people talk about it thought it was a case of actually retroactively removing the text from the games themselves. Which I first thought was a joke but heard from several sources and thought it would be pretty hosed up if true.

Pinterest Mom posted:

How movie studios credit people who work on their movies is pretty strictly regulated by union contracts. Those contracts would prevent a studio from removing names when issuing a re-release or remaster or whatever.

The video games industry, not as much unionised.

Yeah I guess that makes more sense than foolishly just thinking that as an older and more established industry it has higher standards of artistic integrity or whatever.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
PSA, Grim Fandango is on sale dirt cheap for the first time since 2020: https://www.dekudeals.com/items/grim-fandango-remastered

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks. I had some Nintendo bucks so the game came out to $.05, which seems a bit criminal to me.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

beer gas canister posted:

PSA, Grim Fandango is on sale dirt cheap for the first time since 2020: https://www.dekudeals.com/items/grim-fandango-remastered

Niiiiiiice. Redeemed some coins and got it free.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

...I don't want people asking me about Grim Fandango.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Excellent game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just an update to my voucher mishap: I'm getting a refund for the erroneously-purchased second voucher set.

:toot:

While talking to the rep (she called me! I expected an email) I asked her if she saw the timestamps as I only had date stamps, and she said that the purchases were made within 3 minutes of each other. That led her and the review team to thinking that it might've been more of a system/eshop/input issue more than me just doing it twice and regretting the second time.

Anyway, I hope this is the last time I have to deal with any of this.

The irony of this whole thing is that there's about a 85-90% chance that I'll be yet again getting a voucher pack for two other games.

If Metroid Prime 4 and F-Zero Whatever is released on this switch, then yes plz.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just an update to my voucher mishap: I'm getting a refund for the erroneously-purchased second voucher set.

While talking to the rep (she called me! I expected an email) I asked her if she saw the timestamps as I only had date stamps, and she said that the purchases were made within 3 minutes of each other. That led her and the review team to thinking that it might've been more of a system/eshop/input issue more than me just doing it twice and regretting the second time.

Anyway, I hope this is the last time I have to deal with any of this.

The irony of this whole thing is that there's about a 85-90% chance that I'll be yet again getting a voucher pack for two other games.

If Metroid Prime 4 and F-Zero Whatever is released on this switch, then yes plz.

Rupert B, I am sorry you are being forced to run cover for Big Nintendo after discovering the Game Genie code for Infinite Vouchers. True gamers will remember what was done here.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Right analog stick on my joycons have stopped clicking in. Anyone experienced that and got a fix?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This will sound like a poo poo post but have you tried pulling them? Maybe they are stuck in the in position

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

This will sound like a poo poo post but have you tried pulling them? Maybe they are stuck in the in position

It's not a bad shout, but I've tried that yeah.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

wizard2 posted:

Rupert B, I am sorry you are being forced to run cover for Big Nintendo after discovering the Game Genie code for Infinite Vouchers. True gamers will remember what was done here.

no nothing is wrong I am a completely honest and safe human male guy and I do not need any help

:shepface:

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

no nothing is wrong I am a completely honest and safe human male guy and I do not need any help

:shepface:

All Rupert needs is for everyone to buy some more Nintendo games.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Lots of sales in the eshop right now. Picked up Super Meat Boy Forever expecting it to be a platformer but it's a runner game. Jump and punch are also the same button so if you're one pixel off the ground you dash into death instead of jumping again... I gave up on the second level in frustration.

Grim Fandango looks cool so I'll grab that next.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kyoujin posted:

Lots of sales in the eshop right now. Picked up Super Meat Boy Forever expecting it to be a platformer but it's a runner game. Jump and punch are also the same button so if you're one pixel off the ground you dash into death instead of jumping again... I gave up on the second level in frustration.

Yeah as soon as the first trailer came out for it I think reactions were universally negative. But they stayed the course even though it didn't come out until like two years later

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it's popular (or was at the time) with speedrunners. Definitely not a game for casual people.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
But why not speedrun a good game instead

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mega64 posted:

But why not speedrun a good game instead

i recommend castlevania 3

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I really like Super Meat Boy Forever. The way it uses the simple controls builds through the game to eventually overwhelm you. It's really smart and well made.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

...I don't want people asking me about Grim Fandango.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBP_X4Zx-I

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i recommend castlevania 3

Hell to the gently caress yeah.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=curf8onLZ7I

Devil world is an interesting choice. And I've never played that castlevania game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=curf8onLZ7I

Devil world is an interesting choice. And I've never played that castlevania game
Devil World's neat. Miyamoto's take on the Pac-Man maze genre, and his first console-centric game. Released in Europe, but never got a US release due to all the religious iconography. I think this might actually be its first official release in the US? I don't think the Virtual Console version appeared out there.

Murasame Castle is also cool. An action game with a medieval-Japan setting, using the Zelda 1 game engine. FDS and Japan-exclusive, but it got an international release on the 3DS Virtual Console. Well worth a spin, IMHO.

The Game Boy Castlevanias generally don't seem very well-liked.

EDIT: The Japanese apps are getting the same games this time around, with one addition - a "SP" savestate for Ninja JaJaMaru-kun that starts you at Stage 19.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 31, 2023