Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Sprinkler felt like a trap to me. I want all my crops on the same schedule.

I mix and match crops so they finish at the same time, such as having the 6 hour Barley on the Sprinkler row with the 3 hour Raspberry on the other slots. Or Wheat and the two adjacent to it. Can do the same thing for some of the other combinations and the gold fertilizer, although the timings are off if you get any of the growth time reducing gene traits.

Also, what someone said before is what I did. I went for prestige 4 on from fastest to slowest crops, since it's ~15% more crops every time you do it.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gooboo is kind of funny because the dev has said he wants it to be idle heavy but there's an enormous amount of babysitting you have to do

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

Gooboo is kind of funny because the dev has said he wants it to be idle heavy but there's an enormous amount of babysitting you have to do

The thing that unlocks at 280 is kinda cool for (some) of that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Grapplejack posted:

yeah I'm very much in things aren't easing up they seem to be demanding more time this is bad territory right now. Completely fixable but the hooks are out and I'm free.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

IDK, I check it like 2-3 times in a day if I sit down and it's working fine for me. It's not perfectly optimized, but I also don't feel like I'm missing a ton of progression by not watching it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Orvin posted:

How are you not at dweller depth 12 but getting to iron ore? The dweller max depth stuff is not that expensive, you just have to wait for your dweller to get to near the bottom for way more green gems then shallow. I am pretty sure it is way better to rebirth on like a 2-3 day schedule to max out your dweller depth then a bunch of short runs.

I lack object permanence and have just been buying upgrades from top to bottom on the list every time I prestige so I always forget it's there.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Baddog posted:

The unlock is at 290.

It does help, although I wish I knew how it determined some of its aspects: Cryo Lab: I feel like my best prestige was on my Mining and yet it's the lowest EXP per day. And then the Farm stuff tells you 'up to' the amount of experience you get, and that it's affected by specific crop details, but it doesn't tell you how. And also the Mining one is just green crystal gain, while the others actually aid you during runs in addition to their prestige resource passive gains. But the moment I got it, I froze the Horde until that thing was Level 2, because the passive gains were the most out of any of them, likely due to me spending a lot of time during a Horde run that was overcapped, since the overcap penalty is so low that it feels better to just sit there and farm even at 2x penalty (67.5%) rather than starting a new run. Whereas with Mining once you get to the top, that's it, there's no point sitting around unless you can push further in a reasonable amount of time.

Also, at the point of the game you unlock that, your capacity is likely out-pacing your production by quite a bit in the Village, so it's become more idle, and for Horde once you can safely sit at Zone 60+, it's not terrible farming to get more Reaping heirlooms. So basically, I think aiming for longer runs that try to push the limit of your last run is better to avoid burning out, and it's a bit more interesting to spend a decent amount of prestige currency rather than a short run where you can barely afford one upgrade that ultimately won't change your next run.

Mining: Really feels like I have no choice but to put everything into Iron Ore capacity to get any relevant progress, in order to get the next crafting slot upgrade, since the <95 upgrades only give you so much Iron Ore cap. I haven't gotten Depth Dweller 16 so maybe it helps with that, or maybe Depth 95 helps with that as well.

I still don't like the amount of waiting I have to do for Granite and Salt, and Rare Earth upgrade only helps so much with that, and Salt production stopping at Depth 79 kind of sucks for your Scrap gains.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 26, 2023

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Baddog posted:

Do you mean 290? Because I don't think I got any unlocks at 280

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

dipwood posted:

Mining: Really feels like I have no choice but to put everything into Iron Ore capacity to get any relevant progress, in order to get the next crafting slot upgrade, since the <95 upgrades only give you so much Iron Ore cap. I haven't gotten Depth Dweller 16 so maybe it helps with that, or maybe Depth 95 helps with that as well.
16 helps a little; 20 is apparently pretty significant. imo you should be investing heavily into depth dweller over all else; it lowers the effective depth for milestones much more than damage upgrades do.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Mining got frozen immediately and I'm just fine with that. Dueces.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

crime weed posted:

16 helps a little; 20 is apparently pretty significant. imo you should be investing heavily into depth dweller over all else; it lowers the effective depth for milestones much more than damage upgrades do.

The drawback here is you hit a lot of the cheeo milestones slower that way.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The drawback here is you hit a lot of the cheeo milestones slower that way.

You need to balance that, but I really think I'm giving gooboo a rest for a few months I think it has legs but I'm not liking the current grind wall. The way up was fun if the dev can rebalance everything to fun I'll do the cycle of pickup and drop.

If this is your jam enjoy.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What I notice around GL300 is that you sort of want to specialize in what you enjoy. Of course you can throw your currency at whatever, but if you go hard into a mechanic, you'll progress much faster at it. And if you spread your currency around, I feel is probably inefficient. Like I'm just stalled on mining. I don't care about it really. So I don't invest much into it, and as a result my returns are pretty sub-optimal. I mainly focus on village 1st, and horde 2nd. Both of those make really solid progress daily.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Do you mean 290? Because I don't think I got any unlocks at 280

Yah I think I guessed wrong when I tried to remember when it unlocked.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i could have sworn it said 280 when it first popped up after unlocking treasure.

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008
Been enjoying Gooboo a lot but I wasted a bunch of rubies on upgrades I feel like I could have spent elsewhere more effectively. I wanted to edit my save to undo this but saves are encrypted now, is there any way possible now to fix this other than asking for a save at a similar level? I’m at 260 atm

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Still enjoying plinking away at Melvor but jesus there's so much QOL stuff that they just never bothered with in the base game presumably because mods exist and thankfully most of those cover it. Stuff like inventory management becomes a real pain in the rear end when you're constantly switching gear out all the time depending on what activity you're doing, auto-selling junk that you find while fishing that has literally no other purpose except to sell, showing detailed stats of what is buffing whatever activity you're looking at. Plus it seems like the game draws a significant amount of processing power only on certain screens and apparently particularly when you have the progress bar animations enabled because it seriously bogs down my other chrome windows to the point that it makes videos I'm watching buffer if I'm on the right (wrong?) menu and have progress bars on. Turning progress bar animations off makes it less laggy but they didn't add a different way to tell if something is being worked on so it just means i have to wait to see the XP ticking up to know if I'm engaged in an activity now.

I'm also finding it hard to see what all this grinding is in service of, like obviously my woodcutting gives me better logs that I can use in firemaking/fletching/etc but it doesn't feel like there's any real overarching goal other than to max everything out and I guess eventually do the dungeons and stuff? I am making numbers go up which is really all I need but at least at the moment it all feels real aimless. I imagine once I get more skills maxed or close to max and have to start focusing in more on the combat stuff it'll become a little bit clearer but at the moment it's a good time waster that I don't need to do a ton of upkeep for and has good cross progression/cloud save integration so I can easily switch between PC and phone which is big.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Similar on Melvor. I think I am close to not logging in every day. I got my magic log setup complete enough that I should just leave for a week (and use the uncapped idle mod).

It is interesting game. Grabbed me for 70 hours of screen time so far.

Bacchanal
Jun 25, 2003
Dread Lord of Immigration

Gandor posted:

Been enjoying Gooboo a lot but I wasted a bunch of rubies on upgrades I feel like I could have spent elsewhere more effectively. I wanted to edit my save to undo this but saves are encrypted now, is there any way possible now to fix this other than asking for a save at a similar level? I’m at 260 atm

They're not encrypted at all, just base64 encoded. You can decode them, make changes, and re-encode them just using a web browser, without having to install anything.

Copy the contents of your local save file, hit F12 in your browser of choice, select the Console tab, and type:
code:
atob('')
Paste the file contents you copied between the single quotes and hit enter. This will spit out a giant string in single quotes which will look like what the save contents were before.

After you've made your modifications in a text editor, copy all the text, open the Console tab in your browser again, type:
code:
btoa('')
Paste the modified save file content between the single quotes and hit enter. This will spit out a giant gross blob of text between single quotes. Copy the stuff between the single quotes and save it into a file on disk, and you should be able to load it in Gooboo. Make sure you save it into a new file, so if something goes wrong, you haven't lost anything.

Bacchanal fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 27, 2023

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I've found this site pretty helpful when I want to gently caress around with a browser game save: https://www.saveeditonline.com/

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I've seen no reason not to invest almost all your red gems into at least several treasure slots once they become available. They start very cheap (50 gems) and only go up +10 per purchase, and extra treasures are almost always worth slotting in when possible.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
What got me hooked on Melvor is the ancient relics mode. Whole different game when you have to figure out how to beat the next dungeon with all your skills maxed at a low levels. Then you get a relic that changes the whole path you thought you were taking!

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I just got to horde 66 question about the new souls perk, does it make it so when heirlooms drop it always drops multiple or just it rolls again if one drops to see if you get a second?

Edit: vvvvv thanks

Lilli fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 28, 2023

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Lilli posted:

I just got to horde 66 question about the new souls perk, does it make it so when heirlooms drop it always drops multiple or just it rolls again if one drops to see if you get a second?

50% chance from what I understand. Either 1 or whatever your cap is.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I do wish that you could see more of where to acquire the "Keep: Upgrade" relics in gooboo. They're very useful and scattered everywhere. I know they just kind of happen when you hit that level of everything, but they don't feel like a big thing and just something that you could miss happening entirely when they do change your gameplay a bit.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Jhet posted:

I do wish that you could see more of where to acquire the "Keep: Upgrade" relics in gooboo. They're very useful and scattered everywhere. I know they just kind of happen when you hit that level of everything, but they don't feel like a big thing and just something that you could miss happening entirely when they do change your gameplay a bit.

The "look ahead" feature on the regular upgrades is fine and all, but yep, really wanted it on the achievements.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Ironwood RPG

There's a double xp event going for halloween which is great for leveling crafting and lasts two days. The unique halloween themed item is just a gimmick head equip.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I need some help with the farm in GooBoo, because I'm just not getting it. Everyone around my GL has like 20+ more farm levels than I do. I keep crops growing like 24/7 with very minimal overgrow. Everything has prestiged at least one time at level 4+. I don't fertilize often though because of gold. Maybe I should just spam carrots to farm up some gold?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Zotix posted:

I need some help with the farm in GooBoo, because I'm just not getting it. Everyone around my GL has like 20+ more farm levels than I do. I keep crops growing like 24/7 with very minimal overgrow. Everything has prestiged at least one time at level 4+. I don't fertilize often though because of gold. Maybe I should just spam carrots to farm up some gold?

My farm is lagging too (partly because it gets unlocked last, eh?). It's at 46 with global at 301, but I haven't spent that much on it. I do spend sapphires to fertilize when I'm going to do some overgrowth overnight, but I think I could use them more.

You can also buy farm cards, the doubles get you big chunks of crops to buy more upgrades.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Fundamental: Am I doing something wrong in the beginning of the Interstellar stage? It's been hours of buying the one thing I can buy and I'm still not even in the same area code as the next upgrade of any kind. The next research option is at 0.18 mass and the highest collapse I got to was 0.15.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Fundamental: Am I doing something wrong in the beginning of the Interstellar stage? It's been hours of buying the one thing I can buy and I'm still not even in the same area code as the next upgrade of any kind. The next research option is at 0.18 mass and the highest collapse I got to was 0.15.

Not familiar with the game, but my genre-relevant question is: which of the following happens when you click that "collapse" button? (Save first maybe.)

1. Your current mass is set to 0.1120. (Reset on prestige.) This would end up being a decrease from 0.1560 to 0.1120, and probably bad.
2. Your current mass is increased by 0.1120. (Increased by prestige.) This would end up being an increase from 0.1560 to 0.2680, and probably good.

Because if it's the latter, then the solution seems fairly straightforward. Collapse, determine a good ratio of "mass gained by collapse" vs. "time spent to get to that point", repeat to gradually accumulate mass, which presumably does something useful from that accumulation.

If it's the former, you'd need advice from someone (not me) who's actually familiar with that particular game.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Niether. :v: It's set to what it says it will collapse to, but only if it's higher than what I have now.

eta: There's another upgrade screen I didn't notice on the Research page. :doh:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The developer of that game loves to keep poo poo slow as well. I grew to hate it and dropped it.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

The dev appears to have conflated "slow", "difficult" and "requires skill". I don't really mind a slow incremental, but that doesn't make it difficult, and sticking through it wouldn't require any skill beyond patience. I enjoyed it through a chunk of the big overall prestige system, before I lost my save and the developer put up a splash about a major rework due to complaints. I was at the point where I was starting to have multiple stages running concurrently and fully automated, but the amount of clicking in the remaining game was grating.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Safari Disco Lion posted:

No, you're doing okay; there's upgrades on the prior stages that will translate into raising the mass softcap, you've just gotta unlock those and the mass will take care of itself, IIRC

Fundamental is SLOW

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Wow you're not kidding. This segment is all 'wait for the next singular upgrade purchase, then reset'. Literally nothing else going on. Yeah think I'm out.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

GooBoo

What do i do with aluminium bars?

Farming. - Potato needs 800 flower and ?

ive got a gnome but never get gold. what am i missing?

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004

Meskhenet posted:

GooBoo

What do i do with aluminium bars?

Farming. - Potato needs 800 flower and ?

ive got a gnome but never get gold. what am i missing?
Bars are for upgrades. First one you'll see is ore shelf for more tin storage.

Potato needs gold. You probably haven't put the gnome in your field.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

how do i put the gnome in the field?

Ok figured it out, had to remove a crop :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I am very, very late to the party but been playing NGU and just got to where I can comfortably kill Uug. I have been completely neglecting maxxing my boosts for the 2% bonus and just sort of did the math on how easy it would be to get a few done and how much the bonuses would add up and jeeze, I feel silly.