Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'll say once again as someone who still has the ESPN+/Hulu/Disney+ package I don't know how the tv deal works out but I was able to watch almost every Minnesota Wild game that wasn't on national broadcast on ESPN+ and it was great and I won't ask questions but I'm happy with how it happened. As opposed to me having to get Bally Sports North+ or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

soggybagel posted:

I'll say once again as someone who still has the ESPN+/Hulu/Disney+ package I don't know how the tv deal works out but I was able to watch almost every Minnesota Wild game that wasn't on national broadcast on ESPN+ and it was great and I won't ask questions but I'm happy with how it happened. As opposed to me having to get Bally Sports North+ or some poo poo.

The NHL.tv package in the US is held by ESPN+, that's how.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't understand why ESPN has left this up. A couple of days ago they tried to pass off this 2020 interview of Dame Lillard in Orlando during the bubble as a current interview. They digitally altered his jersey from Portland to Milwaukee, changed the microphone logo to ESPN instead of TNT, and added a Bucks logo on the floor behind Dame which is also in a spot that would make no sense.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1717727422097785340?s=20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That seems like it would take so much more time and effort as opposed to just using a picture or clip from one of his more recent games, what the hell :psyduck:

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DJExile posted:

That seems like it would take so much more time and effort as opposed to just using a picture or clip from one of his more recent games, what the hell :psyduck:

Or you’re ESPN. Just ask and get a real on court interview

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It makes no sense. Dame has been speaking to the media a lot, so there is no shortage of opportunity to interview him. I think someone was just lazy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Lazy but also willing to spend all that time digitally showing altering a half dozen things.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't understand why ESPN has left this up. A couple of days ago they tried to pass off this 2020 interview of Dame Lillard in Orlando during the bubble as a current interview. They digitally altered his jersey from Portland to Milwaukee, changed the microphone logo to ESPN instead of TNT, and added a Bucks logo on the floor behind Dame which is also in a spot that would make no sense.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1717727422097785340?s=20

ESPN has gotten really pathetic. They posted a video of the Chargers with a crying filter face on a couple weeks ago too.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

live with fruit posted:

ESPN has gotten really pathetic. They posted a video of the Chargers with a crying filter face on a couple weeks ago too.

It is 100 percent a really stupid split in management where the social team is split off from the other teams so they're out on their own and the managers of the social team only want to tell their bosses about the insane numbers + engagement they have. So basically you've got underpaid 22 year old kids pumping out stuff non stop at the behest of people who are being told by people who no zero about social media that they just want to see the numbers go up. Its hosed up.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The ESPN TikTok account just posts random viral videos, a lot of times they have nothing to do with sports.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
twitter dot com slash ESPNFC felt like the genesis of this issue. Ronaldo is only getting tweeted about every 3 days now, but he used to feature daily, even when he wasn’t doing anything interesting. In general it’s pretty nauseating, you can only do so many flame emojis and all caps posts in the same day

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Mahoning posted:

The ESPN TikTok account just posts random viral videos, a lot of times they have nothing to do with sports.

Not sure about ESPN but I know our company has had a long winding road to being able to monetize our social accounts and just navigating a lot of stops and starts on tiktok. But yeah I've noticed a lot of sports accounts literally will post anything. It'll just be a kid falling off a bicycle or whatever. It doesn't matter. It's weird.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Somehow, the TikTokization of sports media has gone the exact opposite way I thought it would. I figured that SportsCenter would turn into a 5-minute FYP of slam dunks and smash zooms of pundits.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Edward Mass posted:

Somehow, the TikTokization of sports media has gone the exact opposite way I thought it would. I figured that SportsCenter would turn into a 5-minute FYP of slam dunks and smash zooms of pundits.

Its crazy also how videos just get recycled non stop. Like a funny video from 9 months ago will just get reposted as new.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

congratulations to the world series ratings narrative

https://twitter.com/paulsen_smw/status/1719087498536620090?s=46

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm not particularly shocked.

Baseball is like an incredibly regional sport.

I watch Cubs and White Sox games, but do not give a flying gently caress about watching teams that I don't root for.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hell yeah, I'm glad of it. Go Rangers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can’t believe fewer people watched it than *checks notes* the time everyone was stuck indoors and there was virtually nothing to do or watch.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Can’t believe fewer people watched it than *checks notes* the time everyone was stuck indoors and there was virtually nothing to do or watch.
Ratings for sports (or at least the North American ratings) were way lower across the board then.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Ratings for sports (or at least the North American ratings) were way lower across the board then.

In fairness it’s hard to know because half of the Nielsen people were on ventilators.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
The day I was born, half of the front page of my local newspaper was decided to covering a World Series win by a team 3 states away from me. Now, I doubt any newspaper but the local team's would mention anything there.

I was also born on a Monday during NFL season so it'd probably be buried as a AP blurb next to out of town week scores in sports these days.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Baseball definitely isn'[t what it was a long time ago. I'm unclear what pearl clutching (accusing the media of this, not any posters) about the ratings going down does at all. I didn't watch the game on Friday live because I'm not a huge baseball fan (and had a DnD game scheduled) but I did watch it on DVR later that night.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I suspect but have no evidence to support that sports were hurt during the quarantines because they suspended their seasons and broke the pattern and added skepticism to their playoffs. Sports is a routine especially if you’re a general sports fan and not just a fan of one team or sport. And they all stopped when everything else stopped so you break the routine. And then by the time they were back people had adjusted to their new routines of entertainment from streaming or whatever. So why interrupt your Breaking Bad binge for a World Series from an asterisked season?

But again. I have zero evidence to support this theory.

And yeah, Baseballs just a regional sport that runs its playoffs when all the other sports are starting up. So you got all your regional sports and baseball really needs a narrative to hook people. And not only does this series not have much of a story to it but it’s been a generally lackluster playoffs.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 31, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

I'm not particularly shocked.

Baseball is like an incredibly regional sport.

I watch Cubs and White Sox games, but do not give a flying gently caress about watching teams that I don't root for.

I would argue it's become a more regionalized sport from the 2000s on, when SportsCenter became both less necessary to follow everything in sports, and also when they moved away from highlighting baseball as often as they did. It has been hard to follow everything nationally, but at least seeing the SC encapsulation and knowing other teams' narratives was easier before everything go fragmented (and the NFL got pushed to being a year-round sport).

I also am coming around more to "unless overnight I become CEO of a sports franchise I have no need to care about ratings," and to summarize something John Skipper mentioned in a recent Meadowlark podcast, it's not like ESPN would pay more or less for a sport if the ratings were good or bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah sports ratings feels like a point of analysis not worth engaging with right now (if it ever was). We’re in a period where sports are signing record contracts because they’re the only thing on tv people don’t dvr or stream. So unless you’re the XFL ratings up and downs probably aren’t that meaningful.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

STAC Goat posted:

And yeah, Baseballs just a regional sport that runs its playoffs when all the other sports are starting up. So you got all your regional sports and baseball really needs a narrative to hook people. And not only does this series not have much of a story to it but it’s been a generally lackluster playoffs.

If people quit on the playoffs because the wild card and divisional rounds didn't deliver drama to them, they're insane. All the craziest poo poo happens in the championship rounds, and both of those games going 7 games was awesome

even if it didn't feel awesome the whole way through like the sweeps did, personally

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Momentum is momentum. And if you’re cranking out blowout sweeps while there’s other stuff happening on other channels sometimes you lose the attention of people who don’t feel some kind of special need to see the baseball games if there’s something more interesting on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah sports ratings feels like a point of analysis not worth engaging with right now (if it ever was). We’re in a period where sports are signing record contracts because they’re the only thing on tv people don’t dvr or stream. So unless you’re the XFL ratings up and downs probably aren’t that meaningful.
Ultimately the ratings don't really matter, like you said. The NBA is about to sign some new record TV deals and their ratings are down compared to last year. It's not going to make a difference.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
its weird, everytime mlb adds more teams to the playoffs the world series' rating goes down

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Peanut President posted:

its weird, everytime mlb adds more teams to the playoffs the world series' rating goes down

Yeah but a billionaire can reach the World Series by paying less money than before so it’s impossible to know if it is good or bad.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1719444167569580219

...well then

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

of course he shouldn't say it, but when your whole life is sports-talk-guy, it's gotta be hard to get "What is he, reta****?????" out of your lingo. that's like Nolan Ryan losing his fast ball

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Island Nation posted:

The day I was born, half of the front page of my local newspaper was decided to covering a World Series win by a team 3 states away from me. Now, I doubt any newspaper but the local team's would mention anything there.

I was also born on a Monday during NFL season so it'd probably be buried as a AP blurb next to out of town week scores in sports these days.

My local paper's current press time means the high school football results aren't available Saturday morning, just a big banner telling you to check the website.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

My local paper's current press time means the high school football results aren't available Saturday morning, just a big banner telling you to check the website.

Wouldn't know. High School games here are usually played on Saturday afternoons.

That's the case for the games on the West Coast though.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

soggybagel posted:

Its crazy also how videos just get recycled non stop. Like a funny video from 9 months ago will just get reposted as new.

https://x.com/JobathanQRTy/status/1719455739897335911?s=20

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://nypost.com/2023/11/02/business/sinclair-broadcasting-wants-to-scoop-up-diamond-sports-sources/

NY Post posted:

Sinclair Broadcasting Group wants to pay pennies on the dollar to regain control of a nationwide chain of regional sports networks — which it had paid $10.6 billion to acquire four years ago only to see it fall into bankruptcy this spring, The Post has learned.

Sinclair, which owns 185 television stations in 86 markets, in partnership with Bally’s has offered roughly $850 million to regain control of its bankrupt subsidiary, Diamond Sports Group, which airs local games on TV under the Bally Sports brand and owns the rights to 39 teams across MLB, the NBA and NHL, sources said.

The deal looks like a last gasp to keep the decades-old regional sports networks broadcasting on local TV. Diamond, which has been mired in bankruptcy court since March and is looking to restructure debts of up to $8.6 billion, has asked the court for another extension, from November 29 to Jan. 29, to present a restructuring plan, the sources said.

Last month, MLB argued against the extension, saying Diamond has failed for months to find a profitable operating model, Sportico reported. MLB said that Diamond’s cash on hand declined nearly 90%” between March and August, leaving its final reserves at about $22 million, according to the court record.

“There is no reason to believe that the debtors will finally figure out a path forward,” the league’s lawyers said in court filings

Diamond has been progressing in a deal with the NBA to cut the roughly $600 million it pays in annual rights fees by about 20% for two seasons. But the NBA wants all its media rights back after the 2024-25 season – when its national deals with Turner and ESPN expire, a source close to those talks said.

Commissioner Adam Silver plans to sell all the league’s streaming rights to a tech giant like Amazon starting in the 2025-26 season, a source with knowledge of those talks said.

As a condition of its deal, Sinclair wants Diamond to drop a $1.5 billion lawsuit against the parent company that alleges it pulled out money from the debt-laden subsidiary for management fees and dividends while knowing it was insolvent.

Sinclair has presented its bargain-basement offer to Diamond’s junior creditors, who hold about $8 billion of that debt and must decide whether to accept what amounts to about four cents on the dollar or the chance to roll their stakes into the new company, sources said.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah the discussion I’ve heard is that the leagues want their rights back as soon as possible. MLB is the wild card because several teams already have their own TV networks for their games, like the Cubs and Yankees. I know MLB has already assumed control of a few of the RSNs.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah the discussion I’ve heard is that the leagues want their rights back as soon as possible. MLB is the wild card because several teams already have their own TV networks for their games, like the Cubs and Yankees. I know MLB has already assumed control of a few of the RSNs.

A fully centralized rights system is going to be hard. Big teams aren't going to agree unless they get paid out as I don't think say the Dodgers and Lakers will agree to a 1/30 share to say nothing of the Yankees/Cubs/Jays that have TV tied up in ownership. The NBA also has the Raps, Knicks and Wiz that I can think of off the top of my head that will have ownership issues.

It works in football since that's the way things have been done forever and the MLS didnt have enough of a divide between the top and bottom that a much bigger pie from Apple couldn't satisfy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

pseudodragon posted:

A fully centralized rights system is going to be hard. Big teams aren't going to agree unless they get paid out as I don't think say the Dodgers and Lakers will agree to a 1/30 share to say nothing of the Yankees/Cubs/Jays that have TV tied up in ownership. The NBA also has the Raps, Knicks and Wiz that I can think of off the top of my head that will have ownership issues.

It works in football since that's the way things have been done forever and the MLS didnt have enough of a divide between the top and bottom that a much bigger pie from Apple couldn't satisfy.

I also am a bit skeptical of the NBA wanting to get control of ALL the local rights because yeah, there are several teams that have multi-billion dollar local deals that neither the players or those teams would be happy to see go away, and they already have the rights to show any of these local games on league pass anyway, with someone else footing the bill for the production no less.

But I could definitely see them bundling some of the less lucrative rights and contracting someone for production they can have a firmer hand on than the RSNs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
There are only a couple of those and they could negotiate directly. Even as simple as "all 30 teams! These 5 have different terms and conditions".I don't know they're thinking yet, but better single-team or a region of team league pass could help drive some extra revenue for those team owned stations.