Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Cell animation was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
https://twitter.com/spikermonster/status/1718774052569960609?s=20

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

THIEF checked the meme. Wow, this is a nice meme!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lol there is a nuts and gum stall that i've never noticed before

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

*Kiryu typing slowly with two fingers* H E R S W E E T C A N…

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bar Crow posted:

The Simpsons is drawn in front of a live studio audience.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTj2N8DdY9g&t=128s

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Yes, but do we know how elegant her ushabtis were?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

stealie72 posted:

Yes, but do we know how elegant her ushabtis were?

yes

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

plainswalker75 posted:

In traditional cell animation, the background is often a distinct layer, so it doesn't need to get redrawn on every single frame of a scene and it's cheaper and faster to animate

Another fun fact: Very few cartoons are broadcast live, it's a terrible strain on the animators' wrists.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Cell animation was better.

Modern cartoons look like Flash animations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

lobsterminator posted:

Another fun fact: Very few cartoons are broadcast live, it's a terrible strain on the animators' wrists.

Murata briefly tried it after his family and the writer for One Punch Man had an intervention and refused to give him anything else to draw until he slowed down.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

If you genuinely don't know how animation used to work, you should look into it and some of the camera setups and techniques the industry came up with, it's pretty wild

the vertical rig Disney came up with to do zooms through layered backgrounds is unreal

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So I took a look at the newest Halloween ep. They were usually among the best of each season.

If that was among the best, just, yow.

Haven't watched in years. So much time not wasted!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I watch a bunch every year starting with the first one. I got to season 14 before it got real bad. Every few seasons there's a good bit or parody, but far more often than not it's just "here's the plot to avatar, beat by beat, with the people of Springfield."

E: apologies for putting this trash here, I thought I was in the other Simpsons thread!

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 31, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I watched the first 7 treehouses yesterday. They're all still pretty good except (especially early season) for a couple really unfortunate racial/ethnic stereotypes and Lisa dressing like a totem pole as a "tribute" to Native Americans.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Cocaine Bear posted:

I watch a bunch every year starting with the first one. I got to season 14 before it got real bad. Every few seasons there's a good bit or parody, but far more often than not it's just "here's the plot to avatar, beat by beat, with the people of Springfield."

Sounds great!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cocaine Bear posted:

E: apologies for putting this trash here, I thought I was in the other Simpsons thread!

Can't wait for the Lisa Lionheart revival for their Barbie parody.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Jose posted:

lol there is a nuts and gum stall that i've never noticed before

oh my god! together at last!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I love this

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

absolutely dying about it

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
It’s always the Simpsons thread that tells me about these things.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
sorry you had to learn about tadi ist this way op

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I had no idea she was dead, or had ever been alive, until I saw her pic here

And I gotta say

would

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

lobsterminator posted:

Modern cartoons look like Flash animations.

A lot of them are Flash animations. And a ton of animators got their start with it by now.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember an early selling point for venture Brothers, when they were shopping the pilot around, was it was a flash animation so you could put it on the web more easily than streaming the actual video.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah did people think all those kids loving around with Flash in the early 00s were just going to drop their entire toolkit when they went pro, like there was an animator academy that would teach them the "real" and "most respectable" arts of hand-drawn cels and "real" design?

Nah dudes it's content creation pipes. The actual "what" and "how" doesn't matter that much as long as the poo poo is passable.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
This goes for both KOTH and The Simpsons: the animation in the first two seasons is awesome and better than anything else in the entire run by far.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Counterpoint: Klasky Csupo weren't very good in the late 80s and only started really getting the hang of it just before they got dropped for Film Roman for season 4. Their best looking episode is probably Streetcar Named Marge and even that's only above-average animation for what Roman would do for the next few years.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Wakfu was done in flash but doesn't look like it at all

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

This goes for both KOTH and The Simpsons: the animation in the first two seasons is awesome and better than anything else in the entire run by far.

Season 1 Simpsons is jerky and weird looking. You can count the frames of animation for any given line of dialogue on your fingers, and their facial movements are so exaggerated that they look like sonic adventure cutscenes

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's a part of me that appreciates poo poo like the weird background gradients and purple trees but in general very early Simpsons was rough looking.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Everyone should experiment in their youth.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

goatface posted:

Everyone should experiment in their youth.

Sorry, mod applications are still closed

(And, yes, give me technically weird/crappy but full-of-vision animation over on-model stiffness any day of the week)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's a part of me that appreciates poo poo like the weird background gradients and purple trees but in general very early Simpsons was rough looking.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Conjoined Barts

Sentient Data posted:

(And, yes, give me technically weird/crappy but full-of-vision animation over on-model stiffness any day of the week)

Yeah but there was like a 5 year period where the animation was expressive and fun but also real good on a technical level and the writing was also pretty great. I was just baffled by "the first 2 seasons" as being that poster's high water mark.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Counterpoint: Klasky Csupo weren't very good in the late 80s and only started really getting the hang of it just before they got dropped for Film Roman for season 4. Their best looking episode is probably Streetcar Named Marge and even that's only above-average animation for what Roman would do for the next few years.

Yeah there are parts of Seasons 1-3 that are interesting and more experimental than what 4-7 did, but the inconsistency is noticeable