Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jon Irenicus posted:

so you're telling me the only people who are allowed to make video games about Americana are the Finns??

The best movies about Americana are made by a Dane who's never been here so yeah, checks out that games do something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

The best movies about Americana are made by a Dane who's never been here so yeah, checks out that games do something similar.

paul verhoeven is dutch and he's been to america a bunch

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hatebag posted:

paul verhoeven is dutch and he's been to america a bunch

Ahh poo poo yeah, Verhoeven is way better than Lars Von Trier. Trier mostly just understands America because he has American brain diseases

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think people who aren't from here are better able to appreciate the propaganda we're all steeped in from birth as a national mythology as opposed to, you know, propaganda that you're steeped in from birth.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Twin Peaks is some of the best americana and Red Seeds Profile manages to copy a good bit of that aesthetic.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't think my pc's strong enough so I'll wait until I can get it cheap on ps5.

i have a lovely working laptop and a high quality busted laptop that i have to sit on a block of ice while playing this game

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Thinkin bout gettin one of them Legion Go's......

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Whirling posted:

good god that was the most self-indulgent Poets of the Fall song in any of these games and I respect that so much

they took the ashtray made and made it look like it was for babies

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

after playing several hours of THE FINALS, I think my rods and cones are hosed from the constant giant red background screens

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i wanted Control to have even more of that woowoo than it had, never played the first one but might have to check out AW2.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

i wanted Control to have even more of that woowoo than it had, never played the first one but might have to check out AW2.

id be interested in seeing what someone's opinion is if they havent played 1. aw2 kind of assumes youve 100%ed all of their games including max payne 1&2(not that godawful max payne 3)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ok guys this is maybe controversial but gently caress max payne 3, that game makes me so mad. the gameplay is taught and fierce, and you do it for maybe 60 seconds at a time between overly long cutscenes of max payne drunkenly stumbling around his apartment. none of the remedy weirdness or sense of humor made it into that game, they just wanted to make a hypernormalized prestige tv show like breaking bad

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Al! posted:

ok guys this is maybe controversial but gently caress max payne 3, that game makes me so mad. the gameplay is taught and fierce, and you do it for maybe 60 seconds at a time between overly long cutscenes of max payne drunkenly stumbling around his apartment. none of the remedy weirdness or sense of humor made it into that game, they just wanted to make a hypernormalized prestige tv show like breaking bad

Max Payne 3 was Rockstar

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I was going to say something, but ok, yeah, that's fair.

Yeah Rockstar just wants to make tv shows, while Remedy is obsessed with TV show production. Kind of like how Kojima is obsessed with movie making. But also Metal Gear Solid 1 is just a movie in video game form.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Al! posted:

there is a mod that removes all the cutscenes

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Remedy games are stylized as gently caress
like it's one thing to slap a grain filter on a game but it's another thing entirely to add a shader to make sure light gets diffused like it would by a camera lens (into those little hexagon shapes in the background when they're out of focus) or the cool overlays they do

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
i have $15 and want a scary game for halloween, RE: Village or Signalis?

Leaning towards Signalis tbh

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Max Payne 3 was Rockstar

yeah, im guessing theyre also the ones who sold the rights to make that godawful movie

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I liked it but I'd yet to become Remedy-pilled so I had no idea what I was missing

Anyway while I think you're totally fine to play Alan Wake 2 blind it's an experience that is insanely enhanced by at least Wikipedia-level knowledge of the first game, Control, and the Max Payne. Quantum Break too but not as much imo

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Al! posted:

people really love to gum up potentially good games with stupid cutscene bullshit and time-wasting, like how the newer God of War games keep making you crawl around on walls every five seconds and break your focus with cutscenes all the time. I got so sick of Ragnarok around the midpoint because I got into this crater area that had like 100 loving walls to climb and I just gave up. why couldn't they just let Kratos jump around like in the good old ps2 days

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Whirling posted:

people really love to gum up potentially good games with stupid cutscene bullshit and time-wasting, like how the newer God of War games keep making you crawl around on walls every five seconds and break your focus with cutscenes all the time. I got so sick of Ragnarok around the midpoint because I got into this crater area that had like 100 loving walls to climb and I just gave up. why couldn't they just let Kratos jump around like in the good old ps2 days

with Atreus yelling all the time "hey dad it looks like you could try climbing that"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Al! posted:

yeah, im guessing theyre also the ones who sold the rights to make that godawful movie

that and the hitman movie with Olyphant are very weird things to exist and I think they both probably wouldn't have if not for Sin City hitting it so big at the time

Olyphant deserved a better script

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

it's really weird how long it took for cutscene skipping to become a standard feature

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Thinkin bout gettin one of them Legion Go's......

alright the detachables are cool I admit it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zokari posted:

it's really weird how long it took for cutscene skipping to become a standard feature

they used to have to mask load times with them
I guess that's less of a thing these days but when you only have 256 MB of RAM like the PS3 you need all the tricks you can use to cache poo poo I guess

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Zokari posted:

also subtitles. for example, freelancer doesnt have subtitles

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I guess that's less of a thing these days but when you only have 256 MB of RAM like the PS3 you need all the tricks you can use to cache poo poo I guess

yeah well those "slowly crawl through a crack" and etc. animations are also that and people complain about them endlessly

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

ive been playing the dead space remake and it's funny how sometimes the doors take a little bit longer to open for some reason!

metroid prime rear end game

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

bedpan posted:

there is a mod that removes all the cutscenes

The resulting game is 17 minutes long.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zokari posted:

yeah well those "slowly crawl through a crack" and etc. animations are also that and people complain about them endlessly

oh christ those are horrid
the worst for me were the walking through mud sections in the Tomb Raider games
I don't why the visceral reaction is so deeply unfun, I feel like the experience just saps all the momentum from the gameplay

like I'd rather have a freezeframe with a loading indicator so I'm not just holding the forward button for 15 seconds

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i started starfield now that bg3 is done, wanted to start skylines 2 but it was pretty uncomfortable to look at but it seems like it will be good if they patch it

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

with Atreus yelling all the time "hey dad it looks like you could try climbing that"

Don't forget the NPCs trying to solve every puzzle for you while you work them out. I at least finished the first game since it tells a competent enough story, but 2 has this aggravating style of writing where everyone feels like they got chipped away to be the most boring version of themselves possible, in addition to talking like Joss Whedon characters now.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

kratos is now canonically old and stupid please respect the game's artistic vision

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

err posted:

i have $15 and want a scary game for halloween, RE: Village or Signalis?

Leaning towards Signalis tbh

Signalis is fantastic, unless you hate the idea of grimy yet weirdly beautiful ps1 visuals and abstract story telling.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Signalis is fantastic

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
signalis is very good. steam deck + headphones + playing in the dark = pretty spooky. haven't finished it yet but good game imo

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Remedy games are stylized as gently caress
like it's one thing to slap a grain filter on a game but it's another thing entirely to add a shader to make sure light gets diffused like it would by a camera lens (into those little hexagon shapes in the background when they're out of focus) or the cool overlays they do

Tons of game developers tried to do bokeh dof for years and it's super demanding for the graphics card. Everyone would do it if they could. Most of them are just not willing to make their game run so much worse to do it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Now they have them but still have the loading screens anyway, like in Starfield.

Launching and landing on a rocky body is a cutscene, not gameplay, but they didn't even bother to use it to cover a loading screen.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Tons of game developers tried to do bokeh dof for years and it's super demanding for the graphics card. Everyone would do it if they could. Most of them are just not willing to make their game run so much worse to do it.

That reminds me of an article I read about the dev who worked on the bottles in Half-life Alyx
instead of modeling liquid physics they spent like 6 months working on a bespoke, brand new shader that emulated the behavior of liquid in a bottle
and it looked really cool and is apparently very efficient and while I'd like for valve to make games I'm happy nerds are out there getting paid to do poo poo like that at their own pace too

someone should get to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I'd prefer the courtesy of a loading screen following a telegraphed exit/entry into another area versus having to do something boring like rock climbing along a predetermined path.