Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

this would be pretty surprising and I haven't been able to confirm this with any folks I know at the studio, there isn't even a complete list yet from what I understand. feels like a lot of rumors running around completely unverified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Holy gently caress. What? I hope this isn't true. Michael is a golden goose. The audio team has NEVER MISSED.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RIP.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

According to Coolguy it's basically studio wide firings. 10 year vets. A lawyer, the person who did all the mod icons, recruiting coordinator, and so on.

Lets be real, either they're going to try to replace them all with fresh faces who will work for low wages or there isn't any plans after The Final Shape.

But hey the profit margins for the shareholders are gonna look great this quarter!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If Micheal Salvatori really is out, this franchise is dead. Say what you will about Destiny, but the sound and music have never EVER missed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would like a better source than "a couple of twitter randos" before panicking thanks

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

According to Coolguy it's basically studio wide firings. 10 year vets. A lawyer, the person who did all the mod icons, recruiting coordinator, and so on.

Lets be real, either they're going to try to replace them all with fresh faces who will work for low wages or there isn't any plans after The Final Shape.

But hey the profit margins for the shareholders are gonna look great this quarter!

I'm cynical about doomsaying, but getting rid of some people who have been at the company for a long time, particularly the music guy, is definitely not a great sign.

Like, even if there isn't plans for more Destiny (which again, seems crazy given it's presumably a very profitable franchise) you think you'd want to retain talent like Salvatori even for future projects like Marathon. Like what the gently caress was the point of the Sony acquisition if they were just going to poo poo on what they bought?

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

haveblue posted:

I would like a better source than "a couple of twitter randos" before panicking thanks

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I'm cynical about doomsaying, but getting rid of some people who have been at the company for a long time, particularly the music guy, is definitely not a great sign.

Like, even if there isn't plans for more Destiny (which again, seems crazy given it's presumably a very profitable franchise) you think you'd want to retain talent like Salvatori even for future projects like Marathon. Like what the gently caress was the point of the Sony acquisition if they were just going to poo poo on what they bought?

The tendency of the rate of profit to fall

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

https://twitter.com/DestinyBulletn/status/1719161994958483779?s=20

Definitely looks like he was let go :smith:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

it's never been more over

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that’ll do it :/

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well, gently caress, again

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

MJeff posted:

Iwata cut his own salary in half.

This is exactly who I was thinking about as an example of "hey Bungie, maybe there's another way instead of firing all these workers?"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/620397373324308480?lang=en

:|

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Cheap Trick posted:

This is exactly who I was thinking about as an example of "hey Bungie, maybe there's another way instead of firing all these workers?"

It’s cool how some Japanese companies don’t layoff employees but it’s very rare elsewhere. Unions would help immensely.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RIP D2. They fired the soul of the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mill Village posted:

It’s cool how some Japanese companies don’t layoff employees but it’s very rare elsewhere. Unions would help immensely.

Definitely unionize, but they can only do so much about this sort of thing afaik. The real trick is stop selling out and, well, it's a shitload of money and the people making the deal aren't the people getting axed.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Destiny 2 Lightfall: Please stop firing devs of this game.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
So a few years back, I was talking with a good friend. This friend was a colossal Bioware fan from all the way back to Baldur's Gate. Riding high the string of banger releases from the mid-aughts on he was caught off guard by the steep quality decline that started basically around the end of ME3 and ended when Anthem completely shattered his faith in the company.

Long after that point when we were discussing related games stuff one day he brought this up. He confessed he couldn't understand how Bioware, a studio of such persistent and constant quality, could screw up so badly and ruin decades of good history. My response was basically that "Bioware", which he thought of as this kind of single representational thing, didn't exist and never really existed. It was always a unique collection of individual devs and creative talent working together under a shared vision, and over time these individuals quit or retired or were mistreated by management or otherwise let go. Over time it became a different group of individuals that wasn't as good hiding behind the same name, like a degrading Ship of Theseus.

The point I wanted to get across to him was that a studio name was only as reliable as the people working under that name.

Anyway I was just thinking of that for no reason at all today.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The composer of Deep Stone Lullaby has also been fired.

Welp. That's enough for me. Y'all have a good one...

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
I'm thinking Marathon is going on the chopping block also. I was looking forward to it but cannot actually imagine how could they make it a blockbuster, it's such a niche genre

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SgtSteel91 posted:

Definitely looks like he was let go :smith:

Okaaaaaay, Bungie has endured a lot of turbulence before, but I don't see how they're ongoing in 2025 at this rate.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

elpaganoescapa posted:

I'm thinking Marathon is going on the chopping block also

No way in hell.

Today is awful but let’s cool it on the “Bungie is going out of business” talk.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014

Pirate Jet posted:

No way in hell.

Today is awful but let’s cool it on the “Bungie is going out of business” talk.

Bungie isn't going out of business, but according to that Bloomberg article, Bungie is now 'Sony's Bungie game unit' and Sony seems to have decided their whole focus on GAAS is non-viable, so I think they will keep Bungie on an eternal Destiny production treadmill because at least that's been proven to sell but probably axe non-proven products

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

elpaganoescapa posted:

I'm thinking Marathon is going on the chopping block also. I was looking forward to it but cannot actually imagine how could they make it a blockbuster, it's such a niche genre

Hear me out. Just hear me out:

What if Marathon is Lawbreakers by CliffyB, but Bungie.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

elpaganoescapa posted:

Bungie isn't going out of business, but according to that Bloomberg article, Bungie is now 'Sony's Bungie game unit' and Sony seems to have decided their whole focus on GAAS is non-viable, so I think they will keep Bungie on an eternal Destiny production treadmill because at least that's been proven to sell but probably axe non-proven products

I don't think there's enough life left in the Destiny model to keep it going on an indefinite basis.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think there's enough life left in the Destiny model to keep it going on an indefinite basis.

APB reloaded is somehow still online. So Destiny might "keep going" indefinitely, albeit not in the way some people want.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

elpaganoescapa posted:

It’s extremely rare and notable for any already-announced game with a marketing budget already spent on it to get cancelled because it’s absurdly unlikely that the amount needed to finish the game’s development is less than what it’s going to earn back at that point. Sony didn’t buy Bungie for Destiny. They bought Bungie for Destiny, Marathon, and Matter. Those properties are all going to be fine.

Gummy Bears I wouldn’t put your bets on though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Not going out of business, but even someone as gentle/mainstream toward Destiny as Paul Tassi kind of wondering what is the point while cranking out another Forbes article about the loss of the music team.

quote:

Whatever the case, this is obviously not what happened with former famed Halo composer Marty O’Donnell which resulted in a messy split from Bungie and lawsuits, a grudge he bears to this day. In this case, everyone, especially fans, loved Salvatori and no matter the ups and downs of the game, his music never missed. Not ever.

For many players, this moment specifically feels like the beginning of the end for Destiny. While that may be hyperbolic and almost impossible, given that Destiny 2 is all of Bungie’s revenue right now and they can’t stop supporting it anytime soon, it certainly does raise questions about the level of continued investment in the game past The Final Shape, whether it’s limping to Marathon’s release or if Bungie really does have a strong, longer-term plan for it. But both employee and fan morale has absolutely tanked after yesterday, and it’s not clear just to what extent it could recover.

I'm just shocked you can have one bad expansion, after one of the best they've ever done too, and the company gets savaged like that. Even Kotick let the WoW team bomb twice in a row before bringing in outside help. (Admittedly, he had other reasons to clean house, but that was higher up.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 31, 2023

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Now I'm just going to wait and see impressions of TFS once it's released before deciding to buy it. If it seems too sketchy, welp, it's uninstall time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm assuming the soundtrack for TFS is probably done at this point, so letting go of the big guys on the music team is more of "post TFS" type planning, which maybe explains why they danced around confirming an expansion to follow the TFS episodes.

But I also don't understand why Sony acquires a developer and then promptly has them potentially destabilize the future of what feels like that company's golden goose. Someone said Sony is moving away from live service games, but it seems pretty stupid not to maintain the ones that do work. I can't imagine a world in which having Bungie spin out new titles is going to be more profitable then continuing to churn out expansions for a game that has a dedicated playerbase that keeps coming back. Not like Bungie has some great IPs that will sell gang busters if they simply just made regular releases.

Then again, maybe Sony is hoping people will continue to play Destiny even if the quality is lowered. Some people certainly already think the quality is lowered and yet keep playing.

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012
Y'all should have been buying those event cards.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Financially Bungie was doing fine. The playerbase was not a fan of Lightfall (especially not me) but it still outsold Witch Queen which outsold Beyond Light etcetera etcetera. The record should be straight that this is not because Bungie is underperforming or because Destiny was “going wrong,” at least by the standards of anyone who makes these kinds of decisions - this was solely done because they agreed to get bought by an international megacorporation who was looking to cut costs and make a spreadsheet look good.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

this was solely done because they agreed to get bought by an international megacorporation who was looking to cut costs and make a spreadsheet look good.

Yep. The line for shareholders must go up. The corporate people who made the decision to sell Bungie made a short sighted decision that will have a lasting effect on the company.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Has Sony blamed the firings on Microsoft buying Activision yet?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

MJeff posted:

What did that 3.6 billion even do if they're having to do a giant bloodletting less than two years later.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

atomicpile posted:

Has Sony blamed the firings on Microsoft buying Activision yet?

Neither Sony nor Bungie have issued any official statement about this, it's all leaks, self-reported firings, and people speaking for themselves on twitter

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the final shape turned out to be massive layoffs following a corporate acquistion. toodles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Mill Village posted:

Yep. The line for shareholders must go up. The corporate people who made the decision to sell Bungie made a short sighted decision that will have a lasting effect on the company.

Well. Short sighted for the little people who don't matter, you see. But for everyone who is important the decision was great!