Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

I use ReCap lids. A #5.5 drilled stopper fits perfectly into them and they screw right in to any widemouth mason jar.
Yeah, that's the kind of fermentation lid I use with mason jars. For cambros I picked up a few more of the stoppered airlock things and drilled the cambro lids with a hole the same diameter as the one in the mason jar lids, so everything uses the same airlocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
MolGast is a motherfucker, and I need to weight out very small quantities for some dough experiments. Any suggestions for a .01g scale beyond generic Amazon cheapies?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Any recommendations for one of those rectangular japanese omelette pans?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I have a little square lodge grilled cheese pan which works surprisingly well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

coathat posted:

Any recommendations for one of those rectangular japanese omelette pans?

For this you just go to your local H-Mart or TNT or similar and just browse their selection. I live in a place where these are every block but there's gotta be something like that even in the whitest areas of the states.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I wish. The houseware section of the local place is a butane stove, chopsticks, and ramen spoons.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Is there a standard recommendation for a convection toaster oven that isn't a Breville Smart Oven? I have one and it's great but also the control panel is dying and I'm not super jazzed about what looks like a really involved repair process https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/414726/Fixing+the+start+button

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I think the anova smart oven is the next step up and the cuisinart is the next step down

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m having Spinzall fomo…

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I’m having Spinzall fomo…

They really aren't they useful. They can do some fun gimmicks but most of what they can accomplish can be done by other means

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Happiness Commando posted:

Is there a standard recommendation for a convection toaster oven that isn't a Breville Smart Oven? I have one and it's great but also the control panel is dying and I'm not super jazzed about what looks like a really involved repair process https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/414726/Fixing+the+start+button

I've read good things about the Panasonic FlashXpress (I guess mostly based on the Wirecutter reviews). I picked up a scratch-n-dent Breville at the start of a kitchen remodel and that thing absolutely sucks when it comes to toasting bread. I am probably going to buy one of these Panasonics to put in the finished kitchen and give away the Breville to somebody. It is smaller and has a weird quirk where you can only bake things for 25min max and then you have to restart the timer to get it to keep working, but seems pretty reliable.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone here hotpot a lot? I'm trying to decide between a gas set-up or an induction one. Or should I get one of these all in one units? Everyone I know has two gas set ups for different soup bases, but I just don't really want to worry about the gas.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fart Car '97 posted:

They really aren't they useful. They can do some fun gimmicks but most of what they can accomplish can be done by other means

I want the clarification/purification stuff mostly, I’ll need to look into other ways to do that I guess.

And gimmicks are great!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

I want the clarification/purification stuff mostly, I’ll need to look into other ways to do that I guess.

And gimmicks are great!

You can clarify using pectinex and juice and letting it sit overnight in the fridge but 1) it will never be as clear as with the spinzall and 2) it might not work as well on highly acidic things like lime or lemon juice

Paying hundreds of dollars for clearer juice is diminishing returns but Dave Arnold is all about doing twice as much work for 10% improvement

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Anyone here hotpot a lot? I'm trying to decide between a gas set-up or an induction one. Or should I get one of these all in one units? Everyone I know has two gas set ups for different soup bases, but I just don't really want to worry about the gas.

I went for induction and the split pot. I also didn't want to deal with the gas running out, that happened a couple times when we did it at friend's houses.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Better to buy a portable induction cooktop, then you can put whatever pot you want on it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Steve Yun posted:

You can clarify using pectinex and juice and letting it sit overnight in the fridge but 1) it will never be as clear as with the spinzall and 2) it might not work as well on highly acidic things like lime or lemon juice

Paying hundreds of dollars for clearer juice is diminishing returns but Dave Arnold is all about doing twice as much work for 10% improvement

Yeah we’re peas in a pod. Totally wanted clear lime juice for cocktails but I’ll figure it out.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Somebody, out there, somewhere, designed this container with *intention*.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/araven-09308-3-6-gallon-57-6-cup-polypropylene-light-duty-shelf-ingredient-bin-dispenser/15909308.html

That right there, is a container sized exactly to fit one (1) 25 pound bag of long grain jasmine rice. Plus one cup for air space.

And god damnit, it's half the price of what I paid for two poorly-sized containers that hold half that. Bought one, giving it a try, will report back.

Dumb and stupid, stupid and dumb. Not only is it perfectly sized for a 25 pound bag of rice, it is too perfectly sized for a 25 pound bag of rice. There is zero air space, and no room for you to look at it and go, "hmm, I'm getting low on rice. I'll go buy another bag and dump it in. No, you gotta completely empty it before you can put in a new bag.

Going back to the old container, even if it isn't FIFO. I'll find some other, probably non-food use for this one.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 1, 2023

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dumb and stupid, stupid and dumb. Not only is it perfectly sized for a 25 pound bag of rice, it is too perfectly sized for a 25 pound bag of rice. There is zero air space, and no room for you to look at it and go, "hmm, I'm getting low on rice. I'll go buy another bag and dump it in. No, you gotta completely empty it before you can put in a new bag.

Going back to the old container, even if it isn't FIFO. I'll find some other, probably non-food use for this one.

I actually prefer that! That way I use up ALL of the old bag of rice before I dump in the new one! Same with the container that holds my dog food.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That’s why you buy a second one and go back and forth

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm always chuffed on "slightly larger rice portion to use up the last of the old bag" day

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dump out the old rice from the rice jar into a bowl, fill my rice jar with new rice, then dump the old rice on top

Sometimes I will put it in a baggie on top of the new rice

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Steve Yun posted:

I dump out the old rice from the rice jar into a bowl, fill my rice jar with new rice, then dump the old rice on top

Sometimes I will put it in a baggie on top of the new rice

Right, which is what I was doing with my old container. But as you can see with the new one (I edited my post to add a photo), even though it makes much better use of the space allocated to it, it has ZERO. Room for old rice to go on top. I only got the one bag in there with a lot of shaking, packing, and digging of the rice in the container to make it all fit.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 1, 2023

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone got recs for a small strainer, like drinking cup size to sift matcha through? Prefer the mesh to be as fine as possible (I can't seem to find specs on this on product pages?).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone got recs for a small strainer, like drinking cup size to sift matcha through? Prefer the mesh to be as fine as possible (I can't seem to find specs on this on product pages?).

There are fine (30 mesh) and coarse (20 mesh) but I don't trust online stores to label them correctly so I always look for strainers in person

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah we’re peas in a pod. Totally wanted clear lime juice for cocktails but I’ll figure it out.

https://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=1439.html

Agar method works great

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

AnonSpore posted:

Like a bar strainer?

https://a.co/d/2xvMHyL

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

AnonSpore posted:

Try Finum brewing cups for super fine stuff like matcha

Finum Reusable Stainless Steel Coffee and Tea Infusing Mesh Brewing Basket, Medium, Black https://a.co/d/amqguWt

Different sizes/colors might be cheaper

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I'm looking to switch from my old gas stove to an induction one while the rebates are still around. Any recommendations on brands that are good/to avoid?

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
A newly minted home cook here. Really enjoying it and wish I had started much earlier in life. Having a blast expanding my repertoire and trying new things. Would love some recommendations on the following pieces of equipment:

- Blender.
- Food processor
- Stainless steel pot/pan essentials. Could use advice on putting together the essential line up.
- Nonstick for eggs

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Decline posted:

A newly minted home cook here. Really enjoying it and wish I had started much earlier in life. Having a blast expanding my repertoire and trying new things. Would love some recommendations on the following pieces of equipment:

- Blender.
- Food processor
- Stainless steel pot/pan essentials. Could use advice on putting together the essential line up.
- Nonstick for eggs

Do you have a price range for the blender? A lot of people will tell you to get a Vitamix because they are strong and will blend everything. These people are correct. But the vitamix is pricey.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
- Blender.
Vitamix is life changing. If you can’t swing $300, Ninja is good too. If you want to get a cheap one now and save up for a vitamix later, Nutribullet is supposedly surprisingly good.

- Stainless steel pot/pan essentials.
Anything that is tri-ply or “multiclad” will work great. If possible I would recommend ones that have flared rims for spill proof pouring. And look for comfortable handles

- Nonstick for eggs
T-Fal gets a lot of good reviews. Don’t spend too much on a nonstick because they all die after a few years and you have to periodically replace them

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

Steve Yun posted:

- Blender.
Vitamix is life changing. If you can’t swing $300, Ninja is good too. If you want to get a cheap one now and save up for a vitamix later, Nutribullet is supposedly surprisingly good.

- Stainless steel pot/pan essentials.
Anything that is tri-ply or “multiclad” will work great. If possible I would recommend ones that have flared rims for spill proof pouring. And look for comfortable handles

- Nonstick for eggs
T-Fal gets a lot of good reviews. Don’t spend too much on a nonstick because they all die after a few years and you have to periodically replace them

Any size recommendations on the pots/pans? From what I understand I will want to make sure that I have a sauté pan, stock pot, and skillet. Is it worth having a 10" and 12" skillet? The array of saute pan sizes a little bewildering.

What size stock pot is recommended if I cook a lot of pasta but also would like to actually make some stock in the future?

El Jebus posted:

Do you have a price range for the blender? A lot of people will tell you to get a Vitamix because they are strong and will blend everything. These people are correct. But the vitamix is pricey.

Appreciate this!

Decline fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 2, 2023

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Decline posted:

- Blender.
- Food processor
- Nonstick for eggs

Seconding the blender advice that Vitamix is top of the line and if one is in your budget that’s the way to go. Food processor, I’ve been quite happy with my Cuisinart 14 cup model, I hear Breville’s is nicer but is also considerably more expensive.

Pots & pans will vary by what you like to cook. Triple-ply with a copper inner layer to evenly distribute the heat is what I use - the name brand here is All-Clad and that poo poo is nice but also incredibly expensive. I have a Kirkland Signature set that I’m pretty sure is a rebadged Tramontina set from Costco that’s holding up very well after 8 years of use, and what I’d recommend if cost is a factor.

Nonstick just get whatever’s cheap in a good size for you, nonstick pans are all consumables anyway.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 2, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
8 quart stock pot, multiclad if possible. 6 will fit most things but once in a while you wanna make a double batch

12 inch skillet. 10 inch is nice as a secondary.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

Arcsech posted:

Seconding the blender advice that Vitamix is top of the line and if one is in your budget that’s the way to go. Food processor, I’ve been quite happy with my Cuisinart 14 cup model, I hear Breville’s is nicer but is also considerably more expensive.

Pots & pans will vary by what you like to cook. Triple-ply with a copper inner layer to evenly distribute the heat is what I use - the name brand here is All-Clad and that poo poo is nice but also incredibly expensive. I have a Kirkland Signature set that I’m pretty sure is a rebadged Tramontina set from Costco that’s holding up very well after 8 years of use, and what I’d recommend if cost is a factor.

Nonstick just get whatever’s cheap in a good size for you, nonstick pans are all consumables anyway.

May have to bite the bullet on the Vitamix Explorian.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Some folks mentioned getting whatever is cheap re: non-sticks. I also agree with that. When I'm in the market I usually hit up costco to see if they have something cheap, maybe a pair with a big and a small pan. If costco doesn't have it, I'll hit up a Marshalls or Home Goods store, somewhere that usually sells overstock items. They'll usually have something good enough. Not a bad idea for stock pots, too.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Why do people sleep on blendtec? I've had my refurbished blendtec for like 8 years or something and it got it's 555th use last night, each one perfectly doing what I wanted. It was like 65% the price of a vitamix.

OP for food processor just get whatever Cuisinart one is the right size for you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah blendtec

Also the Breville Boss

Anything with 1 horsepower really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Why do people sleep on blendtec? I've had my refurbished blendtec for like 8 years or something and it got it's 555th use last night, each one perfectly doing what I wanted. It was like 65% the price of a vitamix.

OP for food processor just get whatever Cuisinart one is the right size for you.

If I was gifted a blendtec instead of the vitamix I would most likely recommend the blendtec. I've only heard good things about both, but I've also only used a vitamix.