Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Had a bit of a slump, decided to get out of it by painting some stuff quite different from what I'd normally paint; So vehicles, some novelty figures and my first attempt at a bust.

Vehicles (we're going to pretend the cyber-van has both wing mirrors, I dropped the drat thing while painting and lost the mirror in the carpet somewhere;

Halloween demon. Theres no way of getting a decent picture of its face without tipping it back about 45 degrees;

Cutethulu;

Dwarf Bust;

I'm reasonably pleased with the bust. Kind of feel I should have pushed the highlights on the skin a little more, but I'll print and paint another bust at some stage, because I didnt hate painting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
mech time

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Are those bases sculpted at all, or is that just paint? It looks great.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
its just paint. sand dune bases are tricky, but once i really get it down i want to make a guide. just like with flagstone, its faster to just paint the base that way than to sculpt one, and a flat base is much more secure than a 3d one

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I've been using a basic airbrush for priming and basecoats for a while now and I want to take the next step. What's a decent airbrush I can get in the UK for ~£100? Not sure it's worth me diving into the top range stuff at my amateur level. Or is it better getting a couple of cheaper ones?

I don't really need a new compressor I don't think.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Nebalebadingdong posted:

its just paint. sand dune bases are tricky, but once i really get it down i want to make a guide. just like with flagstone, its faster to just paint the base that way than to sculpt one, and a flat base is much more secure than a 3d one

It looks very good, quite striking. Painting down the edge a little really seems to pump up the 3D illusion.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Miles O'Brian posted:

I've been using a basic airbrush for priming and basecoats for a while now and I want to take the next step. What's a decent airbrush I can get in the UK for ~£100? Not sure it's worth me diving into the top range stuff at my amateur level. Or is it better getting a couple of cheaper ones?

a cheapo one with a different needle size will probably be better if you're pretty happy with your current one.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Miles O'Brian posted:

If your compressor has a tank you're golden. If it doesn't a cheap tanked compressor is £80 and will be the biggest effective upgrade.

If you want a brush get an Iwata Eclipse. They're slightly above 100 but represent a significant improvement in build quality and you will notice the difference if all you're using now is a cheapo Chinese brush.

Whether or not you upgrade past that is probably a question only you can answer.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Miles O'Brian posted:

What's a decent airbrush I can get in the UK for ~£100?

Harder & Steenbeck Ultra will set you back 65 quid, and if you want something a bit better, a H&S Evolution will run you 130 at Element Games. Both very solid options.

I use an evolution and an infinity, having upgraded from an Iwata. The maintenance and cleaning is much simpler and is much better built.

Best of luck!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Did Big Mr. Grumpy

(Finally) cut together a short video of how I painted this guy: https://youtu.be/Art3w9gPF30?si=76Jt6vwBRKlVdq0H

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Best time!

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

Had a monster mash / orktober event at my LGS last week and went in this mad direction for my entry. My varnish somehow managed to fog up unit 01 and not be thick enough to protect from the solvent I used on the decal. Ended up glazing contrast paint over it and it turned out ok

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Took my boy to comicon, ended up grabbing this myself (wtf they're so cheap? 20 bucks cdn for this). Any tips for someone coming from mostly GW kits?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Took my boy to comicon, ended up grabbing this myself (wtf they're so cheap? 20 bucks cdn for this). Any tips for someone coming from mostly GW kits?

You can get great results with just a matte topcoat.

If you want to paint it then subassemblies are great because the kit is already color separated for the most part. Airbrushing is super helpful. This is all if you want to emulate box art or gunpla style but there's no law you can't paint grimdark or whatever.

Be careful with enamel weathering products as it can impact the plastic in the joints.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

Be careful with enamel weathering products as it can impact the plastic in the joints.

That's really good to know, wouldn't have thought of that - thanks!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You're going to feel very disappointed in the quality of every gaming model compared to a rinky dink $20 kit once you put it together and realize it's so much more complex and easier to put together than anything you're used to.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Your fingers will hate you after push fitting everything together.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

You're going to feel very disappointed in the quality of every gaming model compared to a rinky dink $20 kit once you put it together and realize it's so much more complex and easier to put together than anything you're used to.

I couldn't possibly be more disappointed in gw as a company but I'm always up for a challenge.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I couldn't possibly be more disappointed in gw as a company but I'm always up for a challenge.

I couldn't believe it when I first encountered a multicolor piece that was made that way thanks to some magical injection molding

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Spanish Manlove posted:

This, honestly. The closest I've come to building gundam kits (just got my gundam rose) is shatterpoint minis. Not trying to be a shill, but I've noticed the quality there is the best I've seen for minis compared to GW stuff.

For gundams, the only reason you even need all the filing and clipping tools is to make the nubs as invisible as possible. You rarely ever have to worry about mold lines or gaps.

Cease to Hope posted:

Shatterpoint stuff

Great points, and I think I'll try to respond to some of them in a more appropriate thread like the star wars other games one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658006&pagenumber=132#lastpost

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gunpla is a different beast because the majority of parts are flat primitives and you usually paint in subassemblies and you're less concerned with painting light and shadows because the models are poseable. GW miniatures have a lot more small details on the models themselves with a lot of nooks and crannies designed to be easy to drybrush/edge highlight as well as take washes well.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eej posted:

Gunpla is a different beast because the majority of parts are flat primitives and you usually paint in subassemblies and you're less concerned with painting light and shadows because the models are poseable. GW miniatures have a lot more small details on the models themselves with a lot of nooks and crannies designed to be easy to drybrush/edge highlight as well as take washes well.

Is it common for people to freeze the models in place with glue on the joints and then paint them up in a scene or diorama? I've seen a few of these but I don't think it's common.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm finally finished the sqaud!

I had a very relaxing day with this guy

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Shoehead posted:

I'm finally finished the sqaud!

I had a very relaxing day with this guy
Whatever you did with the eye lenses has left them with the visual effect of an iridescent sheen that makes me think of insect eyes (particularly given how the mask is sculpted) and that owns, great job.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Waiting for my water effect to hopefully dry this frigging time, but meanwhile:

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Answers to all your questions and terrible enabling behavior can be found in the Gunpla thread. Stop by, have a chat, learn what solvent-based shading products don't play well with Bandai plastic.

Eej posted:

FWIW, this describes scale models more accurately than it does Gundams, and there's sweet FA in the miniatures market that can measure up to some of the kits coming out of China and Eastern Europe, either. Which is also a habit I would encourage the really sick paint addicts in this thread to consider

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is it common for people to freeze the models in place with glue on the joints and then paint them up in a scene or diorama? I've seen a few of these but I don't think it's common.

I wouldn't call it common per se, but it happens. I'd put it at about the same rate as people building permanent dioramas of their minis, versus keeping them based to play a game. The toyetic nature of Gundams is a pretty big selling point.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Obviously if you're submitting a gigantic battle diorama to the Gunpla Museum you'd glue that poo poo tight but the average person doesn't. I have heard of people using a little bit of glue on joints just to add some stiffness rather than completely eliminate mobility though, to make holding a pose easier.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think it'd be interesting to see how Tamiya and Bandai etc. would tackle organics like GW produce. For all their faults when they hit on a kit they really do.

I'm currently working on a Deredeo and its such a fun kit for GW but good lord I wish it had that iterative step just in terms of design that Bandai and Tamiya etc. have with disguised join lines and fit. Especially as the deredeo is 2x the price. I have no idea why GW still has such thick gates on so many of its models.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
yea, gw has tons of stupid detail and the gunpla things are pretty basic. credit where credit is due.

the gates in the japanese hero space marines are tiny as gently caress and i dont understand why gw hasnt adopted it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Paragon8 posted:

I think it'd be interesting to see how Tamiya and Bandai etc. would tackle organics like GW produce. For all their faults when they hit on a kit they really do.

Bandai does do human figures. It's mostly Anime characters, but I'm pretty sure Bandai has at least one Luke Skywalker kit.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Bandai does do human figures. It's mostly Anime characters, but I'm pretty sure Bandai has at least one Luke Skywalker kit.

Sure but they're not really that great. It's like a weird prepainted face plate on essentially a gundam kit

Ultimately they're all very different products for different markets and the comparison where they overlap - big robots and vehciles - is interesting. I do think GW is putting out some incredible models so they're not uniformly behind bandai etc. The quality and precision of the face sculpts GW are putting out are incredibly good and I'm not sure anyone is coming quite close to them in their scale.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
It's interesting - I live in Japan, and have a lot of Japanese hobby friends who came to GW miniatures via Bandai* and they uniformly rave about the insane details on GW kits compared to what they're used to. The grass is always greener, I guess.

*GW's pipeline of "good-quality acrylic paints to paint your Gundams with" -> "oh, we also have these Space Marine Heroes things to paint" -> "oh, there are also games attached to that" as a way into the Japanese hobby market was honestly pretty dang inspired.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
What about those expensive Joytoy dolls, anyone bought a $70 space marine yet?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Springfield Fatts posted:

What about those expensive Joytoy dolls, anyone bought a $70 space marine yet?

I will if they put out a cool looking Alpha Legion one

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Pathetically, same if it's a Worldeater Berserker or Nob / Warboss.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

I'm currently working on a Deredeo and its such a fun kit for GW but good lord I wish it had that iterative step just in terms of design that Bandai and Tamiya etc. have with disguised join lines and fit. Especially as the deredeo is 2x the price. I have no idea why GW still has such thick gates on so many of its models.

I recently worked with a 1/35 Tamiya Flak 88 kit for a Basilisk conversion. The Tamiya kit is about 40 years old, but was overall decent. It had a sprue that was pretty misaligned, plus the others had very prominent mold lines. I feel that modern GW kits are better quality, but that isn't super fair because the Tamiya kit is ancient. The details were super crisp though, and nothing is heroic, the detail is all much much smaller than what you get on a GW kit. It really underlines how much GW kits are designed for teenagers/children, a child would destroy the Tamiya kit. All the to scale rods would be done for. I'm going to be raiding that box for industrial looking greebles for years, the kit is worth it for that alone.

As for organics, the soldiers in the kit look great, but too much so. They are totally proportionally correct, and that reads too much like toy soldiers to me. They have really natural realistic poses, some in action, some at ease. At 1/35 they are too big, but even scaled to 28/30mm they would look way to natural and would stick out. An army of them would look amazing, but I think it would look like you were playing with a museum display.

I also suspect my kit might have been a lemon, as everyone I know has nothing but good things to say about Tamiya, and they enjoy an excellent reputation. No one removed the swastikas from my kit, which is just SOP at Tamiya these days from what I gather. They are allowed in my country, Canada (even applauded), but from what I read Tamiya removes the decals with swastikas so they can ship wherever. I'm guessing that means I either got a kit that sat for decades, unlikely, or maybe that one wormed its way past QC, which the misaligned sprue hints at. I could be wrong about that, but every negative review of that kit is just people across the globe complaining that Tamiya is removing the nazi decals.

Did I mention this kit was like $38? Excellent value, if I make this conversion again I'll happily buy another kit.

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

Gunpla plastic also feels a lot more brittle than what GW uses. I wouldn't dream of articulation on troops and heroes, but it feels like for robits and vehicles GW could stand to do a lot better. Things like push fit weapon hardpoints, turret articulation and the like.

At the very least let me do JoJos poses with my wraith knight! Surely they could do a socket and ball or ratchet joint that, if not solid enough for long use could be good enough to lose before locking it in with glue

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

I recently worked with a 1/35 Tamiya Flak 88 kit for a Basilisk conversion. The Tamiya kit is about 40 years old, but was overall decent. It had a sprue that was pretty misaligned, plus the others had very prominent mold lines. I feel that modern GW kits are better quality, but that isn't super fair because the Tamiya kit is ancient. The details were super crisp though, and nothing is heroic, the detail is all much much smaller than what you get on a GW kit. It really underlines how much GW kits are designed for teenagers/children, a child would destroy the Tamiya kit. All the to scale rods would be done for. I'm going to be raiding that box for industrial looking greebles for years, the kit is worth it for that alone.

As for organics, the soldiers in the kit look great, but too much so. They are totally proportionally correct, and that reads too much like toy soldiers to me. They have really natural realistic poses, some in action, some at ease. At 1/35 they are too big, but even scaled to 28/30mm they would look way to natural and would stick out. An army of them would look amazing, but I think it would look like you were playing with a museum display.

I also suspect my kit might have been a lemon, as everyone I know has nothing but good things to say about Tamiya, and they enjoy an excellent reputation. No one removed the swastikas from my kit, which is just SOP at Tamiya these days from what I gather. They are allowed in my country, Canada (even applauded), but from what I read Tamiya removes the decals with swastikas so they can ship wherever. I'm guessing that means I either got a kit that sat for decades, unlikely, or maybe that one wormed its way past QC, which the misaligned sprue hints at. I could be wrong about that, but every negative review of that kit is just people across the globe complaining that Tamiya is removing the nazi decals.

Did I mention this kit was like $38? Excellent value, if I make this conversion again I'll happily buy another kit.

Yeah, Tamiya is rad. It's basically the only scale modelling company I'll buy a kit from just for the building experience. I'd encourage anyone to have a go at a modern 1/48 Tamiya tank. They are such precise kits that you can pour a lot of time in. Perhaps too much especially on the planes! I have a couple that are half built because I've lost the patience whereas I find GW kits to be more enjoyable from a painting perspective. I think they can be more forgiving of mistakes as well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Space Friend posted:

Gunpla plastic also feels a lot more brittle than what GW uses. I wouldn't dream of articulation on troops and heroes, but it feels like for robits and vehicles GW could stand to do a lot better. Things like push fit weapon hardpoints, turret articulation and the like.

At the very least let me do JoJos poses with my wraith knight! Surely they could do a socket and ball or ratchet joint that, if not solid enough for long use could be good enough to lose before locking it in with glue

I got the Tau riptide years ago when I was considering getting back into the game. It has a couple ball sockets but I think that’s really only because Tau had them already. As much as I liked the kit, I still complained that it was a top-heavy kit with the feet being Tau feet that couldn’t stand on their own unless you glued it - unlike gundams. Later on it seems like they recognized the problem but it was a slap on the face. Instead of doing the sensible thing that forgeworld itself did and gave them heels, they doubled down on the no-heel Tau missile gundam and gave it kickstands so it didn’t fall over :psyduck:

I still have the riptide and it’s still only partially assembled so that maybe one day I can give it a nice paint job and display it. But I have a few gundam kits since then and those are much more enjoyable to assemble and paint so who knows when I’ll get around to it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Giant Ethicist posted:

It's interesting - I live in Japan, and have a lot of Japanese hobby friends who came to GW miniatures via Bandai* and they uniformly rave about the insane details on GW kits compared to what they're used to. The grass is always greener, I guess.

*GW's pipeline of "good-quality acrylic paints to paint your Gundams with" -> "oh, we also have these Space Marine Heroes things to paint" -> "oh, there are also games attached to that" as a way into the Japanese hobby market was honestly pretty dang inspired.

I have no idea how a kid is supposed to paint a gunpla with those thick rear end tamiya acrylic paints that no one tells you needs their proprietary alcohol based thinner to be workable. No wonder I never finished painting any of my gunpla as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
This fuckin' thing.

I have been fighting all afternoon to get this thing to photograph right, to show off the crispy hatching I spent so much time on. Not happening. Here's an in-progress cell phone shot, which is the best I got.

Anyway, lessons learned about water effects:

The Vallejo acrylic water effects either go bad, or react profoundly negatively to the faintest hint of moisture under their surface. I did an initial thin pour of about 1mm on this thing, and while the top turned clear and shiny, the formerly clear liquid underneath turned milky white. I had to scrape the whole thing off and repaint, then do it again with mod podge, which worked much better, although it fogs like crazy when you introduce washes to it. Maybe you could get away with oils?

Anyway, the pouring water was the easiest part of this whole thing. Take plastic sheet, slather mod podge on with toothpick, sorta scratch it out so it looks like flowing water. Wait until it dries clear, then peel it off, glue it into place with more mod podge, which will also dry clear. Add volume and texture as you like, simple as.