Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
hating the yankees and their fans is not just always reasonable, it's the only morally correct view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

maffew buildings posted:

hating the yankees and their fans is not just always reasonable, it's the only morally correct view

even if this were true, hating the rays is even more reasonable.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How can you hate the rays

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

ilmucche posted:

They're more likely to win the Best Regular Season Record trophy than the Yankees.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

ilmucche posted:

They treat the players as faceless cogs in an assembly line, they cry super poor despite being owned by a billionaire

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I think it was David Roth who said the Rays are like a hedge fund with a baseball team attached

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

ilmucche posted:

This is like asking 'How can you hate wall street finance bros?'

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

They treat the players as faceless cogs in an assembly line, they cry super poor despite being owned by a billionaire

while pocketing like a hundred million of revenue sharing that goes right into their goldman sachs ghoul owners pocket while having one of the lowest payrolls in the sport.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

mcmagic posted:

while pocketing like a hundred million of revenue sharing that goes right into their goldman sachs ghoul owners pocket while having one of the lowest payrolls in the sport.

I think this is one reason (of many) why people cheer for players instead of the owners.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

turns out that rooting for rays players is pretty fraught territory too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I try not to watch sports deontologically.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

zoux posted:

I try not to watch sports deontologically.

the most astros fan post of all time.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hating the Rays, Yankees, Astros and Red Sox is correct, at least as far as fundamental truths go

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't hate the Rays 100% due to an arrogance that makes me sick to my stomach. Whenever the Rangers play the Rays in the playoffs there's a good chance great times are coming.

I'm sorry for feeling this way.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Hating the Rays, Yankees, Astros and Red Sox is correct, at least as far as fundamental truths go

You forgot the Dodgers and Cardinals.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

turns out that rooting for rays players is pretty fraught territory too

Aside from bullpen guys that poo poo their pants over a pride patch and the player/team doctor who sexually assaulted kids, there

Never mind

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

mcmagic posted:

MLB revenue sharing shouldn't even kick in unless you have a payroll of like, 40% of the lowest luxury tax threshold, and then it should be setup something like a dollar for dollar match between 40-80%. You should have to spend it on contracts.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/uniformcritic/status/1718788499074396622

Uhhhh source??

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

going back to no wild cards will cause a huge backlash the first time a 100-win second place team misses the postseason while an 85-win division winner makes it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It wasn't quite as severe as that on the low end, but of course, it happened the very last season that was played with no wild cards, 1993. The Giants won 103 games, easily the second most in MLB, and didn't get invited to the postseason party, because the Braves won 104. The Phillies won the East division with 97 wins.

The move to six divisions with a wild card had long since been announced, so there was a lot of press around the Giants missing out when next year they would make it.

I'm just barely old enough to remember September of 1993, and even though I rooted for the Giants the whole way (I loving hated the Braves), it was awesome. All the excitement of a short series but spread over a whole month. The last great pennant race. Throwing that away was a mistake.

Now get off my goddamn lawn.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Go back to 3 division winners and 1 WC. All series 7 games. Easy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
but how is that going to get the owners more money

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

It wasn't quite as severe as that on the low end, but of course, it happened the very last season that was played with no wild cards, 1993. The Giants won 103 games, easily the second most in MLB, and didn't get invited to the postseason party, because the Braves won 104
Now get off my goddamn lawn.
This is the first specific baseball game I remember attending. I was 8, Mike Piazza hit two home runs, and I learned first hand what the Giants rivalry means

Intruder posted:

but how is that going to get the owners more money
Know what gets the owners more money? Bawfuls New MLB Schedule & Postseason Plan :smuggo:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

I learned first hand what the Giants rivalry means

this must have been traumatic as a child.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The loud drunk SF fans were scary, but the hero Mike Piazza drove them from the stadium by the 6th inning.

And then a few years later the treacherous Rupert Murdoch drove him from Los Angeles, destroying a generation of fans.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Piazza's plaque should have a Marlins hat on it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Piazza's plaque should have a Marlins hat on it
That's right

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

An account called Stirrups Now! calling to shrink the playoffs sounds right.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

As a lifelong Montréaler, can a different team be used in these "relocation/expansion is technically possible!" articles? Seeing the logo of Nos Amours attached to all of these is just a bummer, man.

------

Anyways here's a question re: Daaaaaa Yankees Choose! (their off-season strategy). The revent discussion finally got me to peek at spotrac. So others don't need to go hunting around, here's some quick details on the currently signed deals with $15M+ annual salary:

Aaron Judge
Remaining: 8 years, $40M annually
P/T Options: None.
NTC: Full.

Gerrit Cole
Agw: 33y 59d
Remaining: 5 years, $36M annually
P/T Options: Cole can opt-out after 2024, but NYY can force opt-in by guaranteeing 2029 @$36M.

Giancarlo Stanton
Remaining: 4 years, $32/32/29/25M (FLA retains $10M starting in 2026
P/T Options: NYY partial option in 2028 @ $25M (or $10M buyout)
NTC: None.
Notes: Salary for Luxury Tax Calc is $22M.

Carlos Rodon
Remaining: 5 years, $27.833M annually
P/T Options: None
Notes: $5M signing bonus paid in 2023 but is applied as $833,333 per year.

Anthony Rizzo
Remaining: 1 year, $17M
P/T Options: NYY partial option in 2025, $17M (or $6M buyout)
NTC: 6-team
Note: Salary for Luxury Tax calc is $20M.

DJ LeMahieu
Remaining: 3 years, $15M annually
P/T Options: None
NTC: Limited

So that's already $167.833M, and in 2024 there's retained salary from waiving Hicks and Donaldson totaling $14.76M, putting them at $182.6~M for the 6 players still on the roster. The figure isn't exact, but it gives a sense of their current position.

Obviously the Yankees have essentially unlimited cash but their current ownership have demonstrated an unwillingness to hit the most punitive luxury tax tiers.

Last year the speculation was that they wanted to stay under $293M to avoid being charged 90% tax on the spending above that line.

Next year will be at $297M. Since the Yanks paid the luxury tax in 2022 & 2023, their luxury penalties will be:

- 50% on every dollar between $237-257M;
- 62% on every dollar between $257-277M;
- 90% on every dollar between $277-297M;
- 110% on every dollar over $297M.

If the 90% tax was a deterrent in 2023 then the Yanks may have an internal budget of $277M for 2024.

A bunch of discussion has already been had in this thread re: the rather shallow FA market, and the Yanks farm system ranks in the high-20s with limited immediate help (Dominguez is recovering from TJS, so Pereira I suppose?). It came up during the chat re: hypothetical Soto trades that New York seems low on young proven talent (Torres, King maybe at 28yo?).

So... if they can't buy or trade their way to an improved roster, and drafting obv takes several years, then will there come a point where the Yankees should seek to trade Cole or Judge?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They aren't going to trade Judge. It's non starter. Cole is a LITTLE more interesting because he has an opt out and if they are sitting out of a playoff spot next season at the deadline I could see them maybe trading him if he would approve it but there is no way they trade him this offseason either. They might be well served to let him walk if he ops out too but I don't think they will actually do that either.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Yankees are not trading Aaron Judge. That’s… it’s not a thing that’s gonna happen. Nor are they gonna trade the Cy Young winner. They’re not firesaling and blowing up the team. If their priority was not going over the tax they wouldn’t have signed Judge and Rodon last offseason.

They’re gonna try and compete as some of those contracts wind down and hope enough of their cheap young talent develop to compensate.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
The Cole 1-year team option is a no-brainer too. It's his age-39 season, sure, but short of catastrophic injury, he should still be at worse a good #3/4 starter. Top-end salary for starting pitchers is just gonna get sillier and sillier over time (over $43 million per just this year), so his $36 is, if not a bargain, gonna be middle of the road by the time it winds down. It's half a rung below NFL QB salary craziness.

I wonder if there is a world where the Yankees try to move Stanton after 2024 to attempt to get under the lowest threshold to reset their tax. His $22 being gone and Rizzo's $17 coming off the books would get them quite a bit closer, especially if they made more economical additions this winter. Somehow I doubt this will happen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stanton’s only relatively tradeable if he bounces back and stays healthy. If he does that you don’t trade him. If they just want to unload him they’ll have to eat his salary which goes against the idea of saving some money. So it just is what it is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They should be trying to move Stanton now if anyone would take him which I doubt.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

He has a NTC so good luck with that

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mookie nooooo bb what is you doing???

https://twitter.com/Sammy_Roth/status/1719155902870409621

LATimes posted:

Betts said he hoped major league teams would consider signing former Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer this winter.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 31, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Dodgers gonna Dodger.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

He has a NTC so good luck with that

He might be open to going back home to the west coast if there is a team that wants him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Can’t imagine why Mookie’s experience might have been different