Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Spacebump posted:

You don't win games off of potential points, you win them off actual points.

potentially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Jokic defeated the two true villains of the NBA, the Lakers and the Thunder. Beating teams other than those is just not needed.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What's Lukas moral victory stats

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I always hear people talk about how the best players/scorers “get to the free throw line” but what does that mean exactly? Isn’t it dependent on the other team fouling you? Is getting fouled a skill in itself? I know Harden had some trick that has since been legislated out of the game.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Seams posted:

I always hear people talk about how the best players/scorers “get to the free throw line” but what does that mean exactly? Isn’t it dependent on the other team fouling you? Is getting fouled a skill in itself? I know Harden had some trick that has since been legislated out of the game.

Part of it is drawing contact intentionally but also just being faster than everyone else so they hack you/stumble into you trying to stop you from getting to your space.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
FTs generated is directly correlated to Alphaness and is an amalgamation of attitude and skills

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Cooper flagg is by far the best american player in his age cohort and is not dukey at all. Comes from normal family in maine.
Hopefully they dont damage him during his years

"Totally normal person from maine" is a red flag

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Seams posted:

Yes, it is very much a skill. Jrue Holiday is the perfect example of someone who lacks that skill despite being a player who drives to the basket a lot and rarely getting foul calls.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hifi posted:

"Totally normal person from maine" is a red flag

im a normal person from maine

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Seams posted:

There's a few things here:
  • shots around the rim are going to get fouled more than others, because that's where the big is defending, and he's most often the one fouling.
  • certain play types are going to get fouled more often than others. The Warriors are a good example here; they're often near the top in shots around the rim but near the bottom in terms of fouls drawn, which isn't a conspiracy against them, it's because they're scoring off of backdoor cuts and other off-ball movement that leads to wide-open layups and dunks instead of fouls.
  • guys that are bigger, stronger, faster are going to get fouled more often. If you're faster, you're going to slide right past the big for the layup while he tries to swipe at where the ball used to be. Guys like Jimmy Butler are just a combination of size and strength to get to the basket, speed to avoid getting blocked, and skill to do the moves necessary to get there without throwing the ball out of bounds or whatever.
  • and yes, there are certain players with the tricks/craftiness/whatever to "foul bait," but honestly they're a minority compared to the above. Prime Harden was the best example. I'd separate the guys who are using it to do crafty moves to get genuine shots at the basket, like Luka, from guys who are holding out the arms straight out as they drive like "foul me foul me," okay that's basically just a Harden thing.

Certain guys definitely have the ability draw a shitload of fouls, but too often they bail out the defense by pulling up for a jumper instead. ANT comes to mind. So often when commentators are talking about "drawing fouls," they mean the guy is driving to the hoop and getting fouled instead of going "gently caress it" and taking a jump shot.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Seams posted:

The primary skill in drawing fouls is being a very good player who's difficult to guard. Say Steph Curry. Being good accounts for a huge proportion of fouls called. Beyond being a good player, there is skill at getting fouled, even if you're not very good. Matt Harpring being a great example. Physical players with a great motor. Then there's players who are very good AND are good at getting fouled. James Harden made a science of this.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I will happily accept a lot of Brandon Miller scoring 20+ points in double-digit losses this season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JGjwwV_-MU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Turns out the Raptors are still bad and FVV was not the real only problem.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Manu Ginobili :argh:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Turns out the Raptors are still bad and FVV was not the real only problem.

Rookie Grady Dick tried a dunk on a breakaway at the very end of the 3rd quarter and got blocked from behind.

Ayton wound up with 20+ rebounds, saw a stat pop up that said 22 and I think he got one more after that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wolves in midseason form you love to see it

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
It takes a really spectacularly lovely performance to make people wonder if your coach is making it to the All-Star Game after Game 3, but boy howdy, they sure managed it.

Also, don't let his boxscore fool you - Ant played like dogshit in the second half.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The Minnesota timberwolves mediocre? Why I never

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

This squad definitely has echoes of championship years...loving loving these young guys and the vet pickups are dope!

Damon Bruce did a huge profile on TJD and usually I don't get overly hype on rookies, but this guy looks gooooooood.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
i love chet

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Papes posted:

i love chet

He's extremely good (even with the foul trouble)

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

TheKevman posted:

This squad definitely has echoes of championship years...loving loving these young guys and the vet pickups are dope!

Damon Bruce did a huge profile on TJD and usually I don't get overly hype on rookies, but this guy looks gooooooood.

The warriors looked fuckin lost in the playoffs last year, added a forty year old and a bunch of castoff poo poo. This isn’t like they signed Iggy or had ice cream at Durants house or whatever after beating him in the playoffs. They are now my Regression to the Mean All Stars

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

TheKevman posted:

podziemski's hair fills me with total rage, i have become the Boomer. him diving a dudes knees after loose balls doesnt help either tho

Steph is still out there Stephing it up, dude is an absolute legend

i am a moron posted:

The warriors looked fuckin lost in the playoffs last year, added a forty year old and a bunch of castoff poo poo. This isn’t like they signed Iggy or had ice cream at Durants house or whatever after beating him in the playoffs. They are now my Regression to the Mean All Stars

they are Steph Curry and some dudes. Its absolutely a hollowing out and if they either don't get a good 4 or 5 they run is over. Robert Williams on this team would annihilate but I don't see how it happens.

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 31, 2023

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Celtics starters look incredible and the bench looks like dogshit. Might be players on the buyout market I would think.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
ty for all the good answers :)

edit: happy to see giddey had a good bounce back game

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Celtics starters look incredible and the bench looks like dogshit. Might be players on the buyout market I would think.

yep. im guessing they’ll trade for some real bench guys before the deadline, i think brad can find some picks in the couch cushions or something to help

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

aren't they over the second apron? gonna have some troubles being players in the buyout market if so
e:

fart simpson posted:

yep. im guessing they’ll trade for some real bench guys before the deadline, i think brad can find some picks in the couch cushions or something to help

yeah i really expect all the competitors to be actively trading for their depth this year for a change

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Giddey and Simmons both had good games
Good job boys :unsmith:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i mean really it’s just that sam hauser and payton pritchard went from two highly efficient 3 point bench shooters (last year) to two of the worst shooters ive ever seen (this year). idk why

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Ammanas posted:

podziemski's hair fills me with total rage, i have become the Boomer. him diving a dudes knees after loose balls doesnt help either tho

Steph is still out there Stephing it up, dude is an absolute legend

they are Steph Curry and some dudes. Its absolutely a hollowing out and if they either don't get a good 4 or 5 they run is over. Robert Williams on this team would annihilate but I don't see how it happens.

I'll take the dumb fro over the pictures of him in braids.
Warriors didn't win 3 in a row on the road at all last year so glad we aren't doing that again at least.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

If you're looking for TJD hype, fast forward to about 7 mins in this video and get all the stats to make you go :o:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?BHH2M7jXQXs

How did no one take a shot on him earlier than 2nd to last in 2nd round with that pedigree....

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

where did this version of sam hauser go? celtics should sign this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7aCWJalXUM

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

many people are wondering... are the bulls BACK???????

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
This is chet's world yall are blinded by wemby

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
N: Nugs 4-0
V: 💪

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

ex post facho posted:

N: Nugs 4-0
V: 💪

Their defense looks way better than last regular season.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Yeah Nuggs are legit as hell

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TheKevman posted:

If you're looking for TJD hype, fast forward to about 7 mins in this video and get all the stats to make you go :o:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?BHH2M7jXQXs

How did no one take a shot on him earlier than 2nd to last in 2nd round with that pedigree....

He’s undersized old and his agent told other teams not to draft him so he’d go to the warriors

Oh what’s that? His agent is James Dunleavy how interesting

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 31, 2023

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

TheKevman posted:

Yeah Nuggs are legit as hell

Nuggs are on a totally different level. Just lapping the league at a jog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

Their defense looks way better than last regular season.

Peyton Watson and Christian Braun are at or above replacement for both Bruce Brown (luv u Bruce) and Jeff Green so yeah, I can see that being the case.

I think they definitely miss Brown's 3p shooting but Watson is a nightmare on both ends, especially after teams are already forced to contend with AG's bulling in the paint.