Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Iruma isn't new though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Im extremely concerned about the other isekai world involved in the mix-up.
There's going to be some heavy gap moe going on where Sasaki just chills out enjoying lemonade and tilling fields while still being the most intimidating looking thing in that entire world.

Elfface posted:

Iruma isn't new though?
Real cute first day Iruma had

Best part is that the guy he suplexed swore eternal loyalty to him on the spot afterwards he was so impressed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Brought To You By posted:

There's going to be some heavy gap moe going on where Sasaki just chills out enjoying lemonade and tilling fields while still being the most intimidating looking thing in that entire world.

Real cute first day Iruma had

Best part is that the guy he suplexed swore eternal loyalty to him on the spot afterwards he was so impressed.

I just love Iruma constantly fretting over how bad he's messed everything up as he continues to absolutely rock the demon world.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
two more chapters of Any Highly Advanced Medicine Is Indistinguishable From Magic

I have to say, this spidergirl design is hilarious

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Started reading that and its pretty amazing.

Also how Alec's becoming more and more beautiful with every chapter.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
At least we know Korone's ears are not just for show

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This was a one-shot that managed to get serialized The Hero's Party wants to Experience Love
Main Character desperately wants to be kicked out of his party because that's what makes the kids popular these days. But well...

Business is all but dried up at this point in the adventuring department. But fear not there's a new problem arising that's very relevant to this thread, a bunch of isekai'd people that refuse to go home are now causing some trouble.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wake up, babe. New "World's Greatest Engineer" chapters are up.

https://readmangabat.com/read-rk395503

(This is the reason web cartoons with infinite height are best)

Edit: after finding out his face can be used as a weapon

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 14, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Caught up on The Great Cleric
Ironically, stuff only started progressing and getting interesting (building a guild sim) once he started buying/saving slaves.

And he’s finally gaining levels instead of just grinding new moves

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is a great recommendation, hot drat I've just been working my way through it. I love a manga that's got specific technical information that they've gotta break down in text boxes throughout the story.

Also this slime he befriended is great and I absolutely adore them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The slime is definitely more than just a slime he befriended, it's probably a demigod or some sort sent to protect and assist him based on the dragon mom's reaction to it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

His real power is making people he befriends incredibly cute in his presence

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

This was a one-shot that managed to get serialized The Hero's Party wants to Experience Love
Main Character desperately wants to be kicked out of his party because that's what makes the kids popular these days. But well...

Business is all but dried up at this point in the adventuring department. But fear not there's a new problem arising that's very relevant to this thread, a bunch of isekai'd people that refuse to go home are now causing some trouble.

I guess I'm curious to see if this goes anywhere after a couple chapters, I feel like 'people just get isekaied in here sometimes' feels like it's becoming a more common background trope for settings.
There was one where a villainess regressed and lost most of her magic, then a few chapters later some background character (her chef) lost his goddamn mind because he found soybeans while they were on a vacation, and nobody understood what the hell he was going on about.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I just read 530 chapters of Release that Witch in three days and now I'm insane

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Did they release the witch?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
In the words of the translator:

They releasing him! That witch!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've had The Elder Sister and The Giant on my to-read list for a while and just binged through it and HOLY gently caress is it good

also insanely brutal, and edgy at times, but it feels earned unlike most other brutal and edgy isekai. the setting mixes a lot of isekai tropes up in inventive and often incredibly horrifying ways, and the artwork and action is fantastic. there's barbie doll nudity and not really much fanservice otherwise, though I will add a warning for extreme, detailed gore.

the boy whose reincarnation power was Subaru's from Re:Zero, having his essential organs compacted into a little "save point" cube that can be equipped by anyone to return to a set point if they die, so that he can never truly perish or be revived, is mortifying. also the way they suss out "reload" otherworlder powers is super interesting, as well as how the world has been bombarded by isekai'd people for so long that they have developed so many countermeasures that they can pretty much farm isekai protagonists for "parts" now. just super hosed up in a lot of ways, the main characters are all fantastic and ALSO super hosed up in a lot of ways, there is just so much going on that I couldn't believe I had only read 14 chapters.

shout out to this mostly-spoiler-free scene for the pacific rim reference:

it's also pretty funny when it wants to be

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
isekai Samurai

Our little Murder-hobo just got threatenedoffered a good time. I feel bad for the demon kind

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I guess the dragon egg isekai manga is called "dragon road" as shorthand now by a lot of people. helpful for such a short replacement name for the original. anyways, new chapter

hoping things turn out well for once in this series lol, it's felt considerably more brutal than its closest contemporary the spider isekai

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

A new group dropped in with chapter 15 of The One Within The Villainess. :toot:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SubNat posted:

A new group dropped in with chapter 15 of The One Within The Villainess. :toot:

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
So S-Ranked daughter got an anime. It's... not good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No...NOOO

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It deserved better

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

First Helck and now this! Why must they do this to target me, specifically each time?!

Oh well, at least Frieran is good.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The junk collector posted:

Really? Heard it was decent. Nothing spectacular, but alright.

RareAcumen posted:

First Helck and now this! Why must they do this to target me, specifically each time?!

Oh well, at least Frieran is good.

I know. I feel the same way about season 1 of Faraway Paladin and some of the stuff for Tensei Slime. Medalist is also looking REALLY shaky which saddens me. At least Shangri-la Frontier has been on an AMAZING roll.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’ve been reading Neko Oji: The Guy That Got Reincarnated as a Cat, which is largely tries to be a big too cute for its own good but but it constantly draws the old man’s face with the same expression as his cat form and it’s gold every time

https://x.com/neko_oji_en/status/1712634429942681681?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

Really? Heard it was decent. Nothing spectacular, but alright.
It's very obviously one of those B-tier "single-cour low-budget thing made as advertisement for the LN" shows. It's pretty decent within that framework but if you were expecting something like Freiren it's going to be a disappointment.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I'm liking Helck anime even if it's low budget. The story holds up.

This week One Piece had an episode where half of it the frame rate was so low I felt like I was watching a video on my first laptop.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The junk collector posted:

It's fine. It's certainly no masterpiece, but I don't think it's even below average. The action hasn't been great, but then the series doesn't really have a lot of this.

Also, S-Ranked isn't an isekai I think?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

It's very obviously one of those B-tier "single-cour low-budget thing made as advertisement for the LN" shows. It's pretty decent within that framework but if you were expecting something like Freiren it's going to be a disappointment.

Don't see how anyone would expect something like Freiren from S-Rank, like total opposites of everything. Even the quality of the source material

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I had this beat saber vtuber show up in my recommended and im broken because instantly I was like “drat that would be a funny isekai premise”

‘Reincarnated into Galaxy Conflict’s Mage Academy Otome Game, and all I have is 10,000 hours in a VR dance game and one week before Order 666???’

https://youtu.be/3b7RaXUB-ic

Also been reading a shitload of isekai/vrmmo webnovels on royal road, could write up some for here if people are interested. I don’t really follow webnovel thread.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Fellis posted:

Also been reading a shitload of isekai/vrmmo webnovels on royal road, could write up some for here if people are interested. I don’t really follow webnovel thread.

I mostly lurk here, do post in web serial thread. I would definitely be interested in your thoughts on noteworthy RR stuff. Thanks! There is such a vast pool of stories there that getting a perspective from outside of the usual places to follow almost always tells me about something neat I was not previously aware of.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one thing that bugs me about rr isekais is how often the supporting cast has no apparent reason to stick around. rather, they have every reason to get the gently caress out and never look back due to how unpleasant the mc is to be near. they aren't friends, they don't obtain benefits, they usually aren't romantically interested, they aren't united by a common cause, etc. they just show up and never leave despite the ridiculous bullshit the mc puts them through. they are closer to hostages than allies.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I see just as much of that, if not more due to saturation, in WNs on NovelUpdates. I think it's just an easy trap to fall into with power fantasy.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
RR has a lot of western writers, western isekai web writers are at a much lower level than the Asian counterparts, just has a bigger more competitive community

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I genuinely don't know the truth to this, but I always figured that we, as English readers, are only getting a small and curated percentage of Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc. web fiction, even with fan translations. To assume anything regarding a comparative writing level between the different languages seems highly dubious to me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

There's some really great stuff on RR. I wouldn't say those tend to be Isekai though.

These are the isekai/isekai adjacent ones I follow there.

The Last Orellen(this has gone on hiatus twice though)
Chrysalis (This one gets a lot better when the cast of characters increases)
The Reincarnation of Alysara (This is a pretty dry but detailed exploration of a magic system. There are not a lot of stakes to the story)

Non-isekai ones which I would highly recommend would be:
Nowhere Stars
Super Supportive
A Practical Guide to Sorcery

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Onean posted:

I genuinely don't know the truth to this, but I always figured that we, as English readers, are only getting a small and curated percentage of Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc. web fiction, even with fan translations. To assume anything regarding a comparative writing level between the different languages seems highly dubious to me.

This is definitely true. I’ve really enjoyed a translated web serial before, and went looking for others like it, only to find that while they exist they don’t get translated.

The thing I miss most when reading English web serials is the professional pipelines that exist in China, Korea and (especially) Japan. A popular Japanese web novel will basically always get adapted into a light novel and edited professionally (unless it’s written by a mysterious heiress who disappeared right before the 300th chapter…). It’ll probably get a manga and maybe an anime too, although LN anime usually isn’t worth watching nowadays, since it doesn’t have enough time to go anywhere interesting. Similarly there are tons of adaptations of Korean web serials into manhwa. (Same with China but for some reason Chinese long strip manhua are basically always soulless and bad, even if the original work is good. No idea why.)

The professional pipeline in English is to just release your book on Kindle Unlimited, with no editor involved. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

if something got an english translation it means someone cared enough about it to even just run it through a machine translator to post.

That doesn't mean some really terrible works don't get translated, but it does mean a lot of the incredibly boring, bog standard samey bullshit doesn't. So when you think about the really trash, boring stuff that gets a translation remember, there are probably 10-15 works just like it that are even worse