Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rolling around at the speed of sound got nowhere to go gotta follow my rainbow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I will literally come to your home and loving eat you to death (this is not a typo, I will start at your feet and work upwards).

Not to kinkshame or whatever but I do not consent to this

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

sebmojo posted:

Dark souls are a metroid

Made some sort of inexplicable noise in response to this

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
Hmmm.... can't crawl in Dark Souls.... Metroid can't crawl ... might be onto something!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

From Software offices, late night:

Designer One: *yawn* Tired as gently caress but gotta finish Nokron
Designer Two: I wanna get home, I've got some cock and ball torture scheduled. Can't we just make this place look like Siofra and fill it with the same dumbass Minotaur Cosplayer enemies?
Designer One: *scratching balls* Yeah, but make sure there's at least three in any given area and sprinkle in some Female Minotaur Cosplayers that constantly heal them.
Designer Two: Great idea, wouldn't want anyone enjoying this place.
Designer Three: uh, we need a boss...hmm...boss...
Designer One: how about making the player fight the Siofra deer again? Keep with the whole, "like our boring level? Do it again!" theme we got going here.
Designer Two: brb *heads to restroom*
Designer Three: great idea, but the Siofra boss was killable, we need to fix that this time around.
Designer One: okay, just make it so the thing is the size of the Colossus of Rhodes, and make sure the only lock on point is the upper torso.
Designer Three: haha melee users will hardly ever be able to hit it!
Designer One: gently caress, yeah, that's a good point. Don't want them landing hits. Hmm...make sure it rears up all the time too, so even jumping up at it will result in near-constant whiffs.
Designer Two: *emerges from bathroom with a bowl of feces and spoons up a bite*
Designer Three: *packing rear end in a top hat with paper clips, one at a time* You know, it could, technically, die at some point.
Designer Two: *frowns at bowl of feces* Could someone piss in this for me?
Designer Three: wait I know, lets give it a healing ability so it can top back up to full at will
Designer One: Okay, but make sure there aren't any limits to the number of times the heal can be used.
Designer Three: well DUH. Anything else?
*they all look at each other, exchanging knowing smiles*
All Three Designers: UNDODGEABLE ROLL ATTACK!!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

and of course he goes down on the next attempt

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
I'm enjoying your eldritch journey of self-discovery, please keep it coming.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

and of course he goes down on the next attempt

Never fails

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

From Software offices, late night:

Designer One: *yawn* Tired as gently caress but gotta finish Nokron
Designer Two: I wanna get home, I've got some cock and ball torture scheduled. Can't we just make this place look like Siofra and fill it with the same dumbass Minotaur Cosplayer enemies?
Designer One: *scratching balls* Yeah, but make sure there's at least three in any given area and sprinkle in some Female Minotaur Cosplayers that constantly heal them.
Designer Two: Great idea, wouldn't want anyone enjoying this place.
Designer Three: uh, we need a boss...hmm...boss...
Designer One: how about making the player fight the Siofra deer again? Keep with the whole, "like our boring level? Do it again!" theme we got going here.
Designer Two: brb *heads to restroom*
Designer Three: great idea, but the Siofra boss was killable, we need to fix that this time around.
Designer One: okay, just make it so the thing is the size of the Colossus of Rhodes, and make sure the only lock on point is the upper torso.
Designer Three: haha melee users will hardly ever be able to hit it!
Designer One: gently caress, yeah, that's a good point. Don't want them landing hits. Hmm...make sure it rears up all the time too, so even jumping up at it will result in near-constant whiffs.
Designer Two: *emerges from bathroom with a bowl of feces and spoons up a bite*
Designer Three: *packing rear end in a top hat with paper clips, one at a time* You know, it could, technically, die at some point.
Designer Two: *frowns at bowl of feces* Could someone piss in this for me?
Designer Three: wait I know, lets give it a healing ability so it can top back up to full at will
Designer One: Okay, but make sure there aren't any limits to the number of times the heal can be used.
Designer Three: well DUH. Anything else?
*they all look at each other, exchanging knowing smiles*
All Three Designers: UNDODGEABLE ROLL ATTACK!!

You're going to enjoy nokron a whole lot.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Nuebot posted:

You're going to enjoy nokron a whole lot.

Nokron's the closest Elden Ring will get to catboys, so yes.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Nyakron

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
dota 2 is the better game but league has a better everything else - production values, art design, interface, etc etc etc

there isn't a single hero from Dota 2's 120+ that matches Ivern in terms of uniqueness and charm though

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I got better at Dark Souls games once I stopped locking onto bosses

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

MOBAs are bad games with bad communities, I know this despite never having played one.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Show me a good community

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

this one :glomp:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

ymgve posted:

Who are these freaks who replay games once you finish them? I don’t find joy in repeating a game faster, I find joy in discovery

Replayability is really important to me. I know the handful of games and developers I like, I'm happy to play their games over and over, so long as I can go "hey, what if I..." with them.

Duck and Cover posted:

I think if your genre depends on me spending x amount of time only to go "nope gently caress you can't get any further yet you better walk back" then it's a poo poo genre. I bet if you made Hollow Knight a linear game it'd be so much better, but of course it'd also be shorter.

It's not the roadblocks, but how the tools re-contextualise old areas that makes them appealing. The fact that they're generally pretty good at rewarding the player with tangible rewards like cool swords or boots that make you faster or whatever is part of that. A good Metroidvania says "hey, well done for checking under that waterfall you first saw 3hrs ago now that you're waterproof! Here, have a cool shield and a HP+!"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Show me a good community

Hollow Knight's community honestly seems very good

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

JollyBoyJohn posted:

dota 2 is the better game but league has a better everything else - production values, art design, interface, etc etc etc

there isn't a single hero from Dota 2's 120+ that matches Ivern in terms of uniqueness and charm though

ivern is unique only on a superficial level, his overall gameplan is still basically the same as every other jungler in league.
(because every hero is designed to be a generic slot-in replacement for its role so the people who played 20bux for a skin can pick the same character in every ranked game for 5 years without thinking about team comps)

characters like tinker or broodmother or techies change the way you play the game way more

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
bro he's a happy go lucky tree dude who makes friends with his jungle buddies, if that doesn't make you smile you are dead inside

gently caress tinker pickers

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Excuse me but Axe makes for the easiest puns and is thus the best hero.

Disco Pope posted:

Replayability is really important to me. I know the handful of games and developers I like, I'm happy to play their games over and over, so long as I can go "hey, what if I..." with them.

It's not the roadblocks, but how the tools re-contextualise old areas that makes them appealing. The fact that they're generally pretty good at rewarding the player with tangible rewards like cool swords or boots that make you faster or whatever is part of that. A good Metroidvania says "hey, well done for checking under that waterfall you first saw 3hrs ago now that you're waterproof! Here, have a cool shield and a HP+!"

Yeah that'd be fine but they use them as glorified keys. I stopped playing Hollow Knights after I was like "where the gently caress is the save point there should have been at least one by now" and I died. I get to travel back to that point, but a little bit weaker because of the death penalty. A late save point is one thing, but being capable of missing a save point makes the experience even worse. Did I miss one? I don't know. Was it just around the cocrner? I don't know. Am I going to another deadend? Probably not because I was following someone.

Anyway they should make metriodvanias less poo poo and more fun. More importantly they should make the games I play less poo poo and more fun.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 1, 2023

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Excuse me but Axe makes for the easiest puns and is thus the best hero.

Yeah that'd be fine but they use them as glorified keys. I stopped playing Hollow Knights after I was like "where the gently caress is the save point there should have been at least one by now" and I died. I get to travel back to that point, but a little bit weaker because of the death penalty. A late save point is one thing, but being capable of missing a save point makes the experience even worse. Did I miss one? I don't know. Was it just around the cocrner? I don't know. Am I going to another deadend? Probably not because I was following someone.

Anyway they should make metriodvanias less poo poo and more fun. More importantly they should make the games I play less poo poo and more fun.

Skill issue, Hollow Knight loving owns.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Skill issue, Hollow Knight loving owns.

I can see why you'd think that if you ignore the parts that are poo poo and/or like poo poo.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Duck and Cover posted:

Probably not because I was following someone.

That tells me where you were in the game - Greenpath. One of the best-designed areas in the game, imo.

By the time the player catches up to that person you were following, you have passed by four save points within Greenpath. I don't know where exactly you died but you probably missed one. I would hope you got the first one, right before you spot her for the first time. The second is towards the bottom-right of the area, but you might miss it. The third is essentially impossible to miss, so you must have died earlier than that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hollow Knight is the best metroidvania. The way the mapping works is good and adds to the game significantly.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

That tells me where you were in the game - Greenpath. One of the best-designed areas in the game, imo.

By the time the player catches up to that person you were following, you have passed by four save points within Greenpath. I don't know where exactly you died but you probably missed one. I would hope you got the first one, right before you spot her for the first time. The second is towards the bottom-right of the area, but you might miss it. The third is essentially impossible to miss, so you must have died earlier than that.

I already caught up and fought them once (well fought them multiple times because I'm bad and they're a smidge too tanky). I checked, it's Fungal Wastes, seems the map did have a bench point, so I guess I was close. Anyway it was a bunch of mantises, and flying evolved mosquitos. Not super long but they each take like 3 hits. I'd probably have the patience for it but on top of the other issues was enough to make me stop.

Oh and looking at my map isn't a pause? Yeah gently caress that.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 1, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If losing temporary progress every time you die is a problem, then maybe metriodvanias aren't for you?

No seriously, the first reboot of Prince of Persia had a rewind mechanic which was brilliant, more games should do that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Someone told me Deep Rock Galactic has a surprisingly wholesome community, so I jumped into a public server.

hahaha it's exactly the same community as counter-strike

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You're not gonna find a non-toxic community for a video game because it's easy to be a fucker when you're anonymous and don't have to look anyone in the eye. Best you can do is find a community within the community that doesn't suck, and then hope it doesn't get torn apart from within because small communities get all incestuous and backstabby.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

I can see why you'd think that if you ignore the parts that are poo poo and/or like poo poo.

I'm sorry that you got frustrated because you failed to find a rest point before getting yourself killed but instant-respawn would be a gameplay design choice that I don't think fits in well with metroidvanias

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I think I've only run into one dickwad so far while playing Darktide, people are generally pretty cheerful in that game for some reason

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

I think I've only run into one dickwad so far while playing Darktide, people are generally pretty cheerful in that game for some reason

I have a theory that it's because the characters talk poo poo to each other for you. Like if one person is taking all the ammo the other characters call them a shithead and tell them to stop hogging ammo. Then the ammo hogger's character calls them all noobs and says they need it more than the others.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I'm sorry that you got frustrated because you failed to find a rest point before getting yourself killed but instant-respawn would be a gameplay design choice that I don't think fits in well with metroidvanias

I'm sorry you gently caress hippos. You shouldn't do that it's not safe, and the hippo cannot give consent. What? If you're going to make up poo poo I get to as well.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

QuarkJets posted:

I'm sorry that you got frustrated because you failed to find a rest point before getting yourself killed

Duck and Cover posted:

If you're going to make up poo poo I get to as well.

you literally said this

Duck and Cover posted:

I stopped playing Hollow Knights after I was like "where the gently caress is the save point there should have been at least one by now" and I died.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

you literally said this

Oh yeah I did and that means I want insta respawn? (I know it wasn't meant but I do think the idea of a multiplayer style respawn timer would be funny, funny bad but funny) No it doesn't. I get it I get it Hollow Knights has tons of flaws and you all thought you found one you could refute. Pretty sad really, I'm just trying to inform people about games being bad only to be viciously attacked. *shrugs*

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 2, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hollow Knight is a bad Metroidvania because its bloodline is closer to its diseased parent of vile darkness, Metroid

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Any multiplayer game mode with teammates are garbage and should be ignored or better yet removed. Having teammates either hampers you or acts as a crutch to help you get undeserved wins. They also provide a safety blanket in the form of "bwuh we would've won if you guys could play :qqsay:" or makes you feel like you carried them to a free win when in fact, they carried your sorry rear end, meaning you learned nothing from the match.

No the only real multiplayer mode is 1v1. Nothing to blame but you, no one to carry you to victory but you, and you get all the sweet sweet tears all for yourself when you crush their very soul and will to continue.

edit: Incidently I know this is an Unpopular Opinion since 1v1 is consistently the least played game mode due to gamers being massive wusses who love the comfort of blaming teammates to much to actually git gud.

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 2, 2023

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

1v1 is the most sacred of online game modes but it only works when the game is designed for it and not many risk it outside of fighting games nowadays

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

i've never been a big strategy game player but when i did play online i would always choose the max amount of players not cos i wanted to coattrail a good team but just because it was more casual and lively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

satanic splash-back posted:

1v1 is the most sacred of online game modes but it only works when the game is designed for it and not many risk it outside of fighting games nowadays

If 1v1 does not work then was the game really supposed to exist?(Looking at you DotA-likes)

On another note, the trigger for my post was having to wait for 4(!)minutes for a 1v1 duel in For Honor twice in a row :v: