Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thank you. :toot:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Poil posted:

Thank you. :toot:

Rad!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (December 22-25, 2003)

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (December 22-25, 2003)

Okay, I have to ask whether or not this is an actual british christmas special.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

I haven’t looked in too much detail, and most of the comics the magazine used to publish seem to be lost to time (in the sense of “not even being notable enough to have a Wikipedia page”), but Wikipedia does tell me that Premature Ejaculation Theater carried comics with titles like “Takashima Michiko, Big-Breasted Daycare Worker,” “My FWB Ricchan,” and “Real Sex Trivia”. (Actually a few titles, like this last one and another slice of life comedy set in a sexual health clinic, do seem to focus on being at least somewhat educational about sexual health matters, which makes Reproducing less of a prima facie bad fit.)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

A lot of bondage in this story.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Honestly surprised that Dustin is just trick or treating without comment. Like I would have figured the dad smugly pointing out he's in his mid 20s was the boomer way to go.

Then again I guess the boomer way to go is just to lump everyone under 40 into "drat fool kids" and yell at any over 5'6 to get a job.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

I haven’t looked in too much detail, and most of the comics the magazine used to publish seem to be lost to time (in the sense of “not even being notable enough to have a Wikipedia page”), but Wikipedia does tell me that Premature Ejaculation Theater carried comics with titles like “Takashima Michiko, Big-Breasted Daycare Worker,” “My FWB Ricchan,” and “Real Sex Trivia”. (Actually a few titles, like this last one and another slice of life comedy set in a sexual health clinic, do seem to focus on being at least somewhat educational about sexual health matters, which makes Reproducing less of a prima facie bad fit.)

I think this explains a lot about the comic's vibe :v:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The most educational comic about a cock lover.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The right-column-left-column reading order is making me remember the old Cheer Up Boss Dharma strips fondly.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 9/16/51

Archie 8/2-4/48

Spoilered for background character.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 31, 2023

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

for the love of christ.

My Man You Grew Up In Freshwater In South America And This Is The Ocean, Your Kid's Gotta Adapt To The Differences Especially If The Salt Content Might Mess With Her Ability To Breathe Underwater

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hostile V posted:

for the love of christ.

... wait, how old is this reference?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that's the one current strip in the block

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Also, the Crowder meme is from 2018, so we're almost there.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nostalgamus posted:

Okay, I have to ask whether or not this is an actual british christmas special.

“Gorilla friend in a coma
I know, I know, it’s serious”

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

The right-column-left-column reading order is making me remember the old Cheer Up Boss Dharma strips fondly.

I'm surprised how much I enjoy this comic, it's actually really cute and funny and straightforward about pregnancy and baby stuff.

Hostile V posted:

for the love of christ.

My Man You Grew Up In Freshwater In South America And This Is The Ocean, Your Kid's Gotta Adapt To The Differences Especially If The Salt Content Might Mess With Her Ability To Breathe Underwater

I'm very glad they put a bikini on the female sea monster, I just wasn't sure she was female because I don't see big luscious eyelashes on her!

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 31, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hostile V posted:

:actually: the creature from the black lagoon would be comfortable in saltwater, both as lagoons are traditionally brackish-at-best bodies and because in the movie he's supposed to be a prehistoric missing link between sea and land animals.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Because I blew another Sunday night, it's A Sketchy Life for October 27, 1927! We're leading this week with J. Norman Lynd.

Ned Hilton:

Frederick Strothmann:

Alice Harvey:

An unsigned one that could've been written yesterday...in certain neighborhoods.

Don Herold:

Fred G. Cooper gets the big spread:

LJ Holman:

And in the :words:, Robert E. Sherwood catches the new Jolson film and realizes that things in the film trade are about to change dramatically.

R.E. Sherwood posted:

"The Jazz Singer" isn't much of a moving picture, as moving pictures go. It has a good idea (taken from Samuel Raphaelson's play), but it has been hoked and sugared to a regrettable extent; and Al Jolson as an actor on the screen is only fair.

But when Al Jolson starts to sing...well, bring on your super-spectacles, your million-dollar thrills, your long-shots of Calvary against a setting sun, your close-ups of a glycerine tear on Norma Talmadge's cheek, I'll trade them all for one instant of any ham song that Al cares to put over, and the hammer it is, the better I'll like it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft, featuring Mindy as the voice of reason. At least for today.
Why hasn't she asked who it is in the costume? :stare:

Bad joke, even worse riddle, would not have got that in a million years. :hmmno:

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City
Is each year level its own team, so the older kids are competing against the younger kids, over whom they have an obvious advantage? :crossarms:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 03, 1960)

"Yes yes horrible oppression under the cruelest tyrant blah blah blah I don't care take me to Avalon" -Val

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 10/29/03

Rob, I feel like you would have fewer money woes if you took fewer vacations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Why hasn't she asked who it is in the costume? :stare:

not even she can bring herself to give a poo poo

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

hexwren posted:

that's the one current strip in the block
I'm aware of that, but while I'm not the best at keeping track of time I thought the thing being referenced is like, a couple years old. Making this an extremely un-timely reference to be making.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

If the backstory is that the horse slipped on some rocks and that's why Dad got injured, why the whole business about how the horse is a mean sonofabitch that wants everybody dead? Even if you're saying he was skittish because he was abused so being spurred too hard made him jump, that's still not an act of malice on the horse's part.

Look, I'm totally fine with the horse actually being an rear end in a top hat, but I'm not okay with falsely accusing a horse for no reason.

Well, it's from war time, so it's probably something about the Japanese--

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

...Oh. Or maybe scratch that theory.

Luann

Looking forward to finding out how Tiff is a horrible whore because she looked at a (non-single) boy, but Gunther and Luann are okay even though they're on a whole-rear end date and holding hands while Gunther technically still has a girlfriend.

Gil Thorp

:frogon:

Home Free Halloween Spooktakular

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gunther's dressed as a book and Luann's dressed as Tiffany (if she were a country musician)?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tiggum posted:

Gunther's dressed as a book and Luann's dressed as Tiffany (if she were a country musician)?

Dahl / Dolly - Doll-O-Ween

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
More like big fuckin goober

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Two 'kids these days' in a row!

Mary Worth

And a 'people not doing what I demand these days' to boot.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

:lol:

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Blind Alley

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Wow, Luann has somehow managed to get significantly worse than it already was. Like, I can believe if there's a bit of a timeskip or something but Gunther hasn't broken up with his girlfriend, and even if he did immediately got with someone else right after breaking with her while loudly professing his happiness at her failure, something that I guess Luann is just totally cool with, and now Bets is going to show up at a party to surprise him and one of her supposed friends (Tiff) is smugly going to just let her get embarrassed and likely heartbroken in a very public and messy fashion.

These are our protagonists. We are supposed to root for them.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

OneMoreTime posted:

Wow, Luann has somehow managed to get significantly worse than it already was. Like, I can believe if there's a bit of a timeskip or something but Gunther hasn't broken up with his girlfriend, and even if he did immediately got with someone else right after breaking with her while loudly professing his happiness at her failure, something that I guess Luann is just totally cool with, and now Bets is going to show up at a party to surprise him and one of her supposed friends (Tiff) is smugly going to just let her get embarrassed and likely heartbroken in a very public and messy fashion.

These are our protagonists. We are supposed to root for them.
I’m giving Tiff the benefit of the doubt that she doesn’t know Gunther and Luann are together. She’s not looking at them in the strip.

They probably aren’t even “together” and it’s all going to be Bets’ fault when she jumps to the wrong conclusion.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

They probably aren’t even “together” and it’s all going to be Bets’ fault when she jumps to the wrong conclusion.

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting to happen too.

Luann and Gunther aren't together together, they're just a couple of horny 20-year-olds who've been happily reminiscing about the first few times they kissed, and decided to do a couples costume and are casually holding hands at social events. None of which technically means Gunther is cheating on his estranged technically-still-his-girlfriend who's somewhere on the continent but he doesn't know where. So when Bets is upset by all this, it'll be totally her fault.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mercury Hat posted:

I've been trying to figure out what liability even means in this context. Would she have been at risk for kidnapping by an enemy group? Would she have hobbled his career by taking his money and time to have a family?

If I'm reading it right, when they met (& got busy) he was a newly-minted Marine, and was considering it a career move. Around 2002 that would probably mean deployment to combat in Iraq. Sounds like she was concerned about being a distraction if not also in no hurry to be a military spouse.

And now I've put more thought into MW in the past five minutes than in the previous fifty years.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting to happen too.

Luann and Gunther aren't together together, they're just a couple of horny 20-year-olds who've been happily reminiscing about the first few times they kissed, and decided to do a couples costume and are casually holding hands at social events. None of which technically means Gunther is cheating on his estranged technically-still-his-girlfriend who's somewhere on the continent but he doesn't know where. So when Bets is upset by all this, it'll be totally her fault.

Oh boy can't wait for this

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I hope Mark Trail gets eaten by a wendigo and we get a new artist/author for the strip.

CommonShore posted:

Dahl / Dolly - Doll-O-Ween

Alright, I got the Dahl joke, but Luann completely did not parse as Dolly Parton for me at all.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Luann has never actually thought her actions through at any point in her life. Neither have any of the people she knows.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I can't believe Lula killed Ten's mom with repeated feedings. You've got to space that out, girl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

manero posted:

Pluggers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7aIf1YnbbU