Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Don't forget polarizing games no one can remember the name of Outward and Outcast

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

The setting is absolutely memorable and basically the one thing everyone recalls when someone mentions Outer Worlds, even if it is not very well utilized in the game itself.

I mean what’s memorable about it? It’s colorful sure, but the hyper capitalist space dystopia stuff is pretty one note.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Having played it on release, I vaguely remember the crazy scientist and a cute companion. Couldn’t tell you how it ended or what was the story even in the most general terms.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

You're right, it's a pretty wide spread. 21.5m seems insanely high for a CRPG that came out three months ago, so that's almost certainly an overestimation.

If we can extrapolate from the number of reviews, BG3 is sitting at 342,525 right now, still far behind, say, the Witcher 3 which has 674,465. Much like the latter game, BG3's numbers will probably continue to rise at a slow pace, though. I would expect a significant spike the first time it goes on sale.

e: did my part yesterday and wrote my own Steam review, figured I might as well add to the chorus

Since I was curious I also took a look at the numbers for Starfield and they seem kind of...low? Steam sales according to SteamDB are in the range of 1.49m-6.13m. I know I'm comparing different genres, but of the two games, I was definitely expecting Starfield to be the more accessible and better-performing one, even with BG3 being released a month earlier. It surprises me a little since Starfield has decent (although not great) reviews, but it probably is much more console-oriented, and maybe there's a major PC storefront other than Steam involved?

https://steamdb.info/app/1716740/charts/

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Since I was curious I also took a look at the numbers for Starfield and they seem kind of...low? Steam sales according to SteamDB are in the range of 1.49m-6.13m. I know I'm comparing different genres, but of the two games, I was definitely expecting Starfield to be the more accessible and better-performing one, even with BG3 being released a month earlier. It surprises me a little since Starfield has decent (although not great) reviews, but it probably is much more console-oriented, and maybe there's a major PC storefront other than Steam involved?

https://steamdb.info/app/1716740/charts/

Yeah, on PC it was also available on MS gamepass from day one, so a significant portion of players probably just signed up to that for a month or two to check it out without actually buying it.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Jack Trades posted:

I've had people, like my dad, that don't play anything besides normie poo poo like FIFA, come up to me and ask me for advice on BG3, and then after beating that asking me if DOS2 is any good.
BG3 is a huge phenomenon.

Well don't keep it just to your dad as I was curious myself: is DOS2 still fun to play after beating BG3? Or is it too much of a downgrade or wildly different?

Also Fanatical bundle over here: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-rebirth-bundle

$2.50 for Heroes of Hammerwatch and The Hong Kong Massacre seems nice: I'd get Golden Light and Valfaris as well if I didn't already have 'em.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FutureCop posted:

Well don't keep it just to your dad as I was curious myself: is DOS2 still fun to play after beating BG3? Or is it too much of a downgrade or wildly different?

Better in some ways, worse in others.

There is no voice acting, which I would consider a downgrade. And the writing I recall being very silly / dumb.
But the combat system uses Action Points instead of D&D's "You get an Action, Bonus Action, Reaction per turn and that's it" so I'd say that's better. And also the general element effect "mixing" is much more open and better integrated into the gameplay IMO.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FutureCop posted:

D:OS2 is an all-timer CRPG. It doesn't have the budget or fully mocapped performances of BG3, but the combat and encounter design is Larian at their video gamiest. It's a significantly harder game than BG3, though. You're really expected to do everything in your power to gain an advantage, especially early on when your party has crap for armor. Fortunately, almost any dumb thing you can imagine will probably be effective. No other developer in the business has such inventive and downright "I can't believe that actually worked" reactivity.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
21 million for baldurs gate is probably insanely inaccurate

The best selling game of the year is hogwarts legacy. These numbers are from May, so it had been out about 2 months. I'm sure it sold some more since then and is probably about to sell a lot more cause switch is coming out

"As of 5 May 2023, the game had accumulated a total of 15 million copies sold worldwide and crossed $1 billion in total revenue. On Steam, Hogwarts Legacy reached a peak of over 489,000 concurrent players during its early access"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
How can you determine the best selling game of the year using numbers from May? Also Larian hasn't published their sales figures so they wouldn't be included in a list like that anyway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think the point was Legacy sold that many and it’s unlikely BG got that far in less time. Which is probably true

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, on PC it was also available on MS gamepass from day one, so a significant portion of players probably just signed up to that for a month or two to check it out without actually buying it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Game Pass. That would explain the discrepancy. Still curious as to how the overall sales numbers compare.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the point was Legacy sold that many and it’s unlikely BG got that far in less time. Which is probably true

Yea this. Maybe I should have said in May it was the best selling game of the year. I dunno what it's numbers are now or what other games are at. I'm just saying for as popular as bg3 is, the wizard game is much more popular

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FutureCop posted:

It's different.

The production value is much lower, no cinematic camera or real cutscenes, you get voice acting and talking puppets, that's it, but the combat is so much better.
BG3 did add a bunch of QoL stuff that's you certainly miss when playing DOS2 though, but it's still a great game.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Sab669 posted:

The Cannibals were in The Outer Worlds

How disappointing. Apparently I never did that quest because I didn't pick the lock on the upstairs door. I mostly just remember it being a Will Shen thing that they used to shoehorn into every new Elder Scrolls and Fallout game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Volte posted:

I'm not even sure which game you're talking about because Fallout 3 has this exact quest and New Vegas has one that's very similar

Rdr2 also

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Iverron posted:

I mean what’s memorable about it? It’s colorful sure, but the hyper capitalist space dystopia stuff is pretty one note.

It's pretty heavily based around company towns and early capitalism of 19th and 20th century as opposed to more modern, end-of-history cyberpunk dystopias we usually get, which is a significantly fresher take. In particular it makes capitalism seem as far more pathetic and beatable than its usual portrayal as inevitable and implacable doom of human race. Because historically, the next step is a communist revolution, but Obsidian are cowards. :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lt. Lizard posted:

It's pretty heavily based around company towns and early capitalism of 19th and 20th century as opposed to more modern, end-of-history cyberpunk dystopias we usually get, which is a significantly fresher take. In particular it makes capitalism seem as far more pathetic and beatable than its usual portrayal as inevitable and implacable doom of human race. Because historically, the next step is a communist revolution, but Obsidian are cowards. :v:

The ending conceit of let's just unfreeze all the smart people and that will usher in a golden age was incredibly dumb

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

All I can think of when it comes to the Outer Worlds world building is the Disco Elysium bit about moralists don’t actually have beliefs, occasionally they find one laying on the floor and must immediately put it back in its box. You can have a significantly fresher take all day if you don’t actually use it to say anything.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
As I said, the actual story of the game did not utilize its setting very well, hence the cowards comment.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I've had people, like my dad, that don't play anything besides normie poo poo like FIFA, come up to me and ask me for advice on BG3, and then after beating that asking me if DOS2 is any good.
BG3 is a huge phenomenon.

That reminds me, apparently the latest South Park special mentioned BG3 several times. I don't really recall them referring to specific video games before, except for the classic WOW episode (but then I haven't watched South Park in a very long time)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The ending conceit of let's just unfreeze all the smart people and that will usher in a golden age was incredibly dumb

If they were at all clever about their setting the ending would have been the smart people unfreezing then the colonies being hosed, because they were the companies' Yessest Men who ever agreed with anything, since the entire point of the setting was that capitalism had won for centuries and no one anywhere had any other bright ideas about it, so why wouldn't they be the "big brains" that got sent.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

As I said, the actual story of the game did not utilize its setting very well, hence the cowards comment.

Woops, fair point, I should not post while trying and failing to nap.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Does BG3 have softer level scaling than D:OS2 or do you still need to spend your time re-buying all new gear every 1-2 levels? That was ultimately what ruined D:OS2 for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lakitu7 posted:

Does BG3 have softer level scaling than D:OS2 or do you still need to spend your time re-buying all new gear every 1-2 levels? That was ultimately what ruined D:OS2 for me.

For a normal difficulty playthrough I just continually slapped on whatever I found, looted or 'made' and was totally fine.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lakitu7 posted:

No, you'll be drowning in great gear.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Lakitu7 posted:

Gear doesn’t have levels like in Divinity. You can use your stuff for a long time, and even when it gets outclassed it’s not the massive gulf in raw power like Divinity had. You can use act 1 gear in endgame without issue.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lakitu7 posted:

Some of the unique gear (which is all hand-placed) I found in Act 1 lasted me throughout my entire playthrough, with a few of those items arguably being best-in-slot. If that was your main complaint about D:OS2, it's not an issue in BG3. Probably one of the main differences between the two games.

There's a BG3 thread over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891331&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lakitu7 posted:

It's one of the few benefits of them going D&D and that is the itemization being incredibly good. I liked BG3, I wasn't as in love with it as a lot of people, but the one thing I liked a ton was all the good and useful loot. I hear you with Original Sin 2 as that was a major issue I had too and that brought the whole game down (among other things) but it definitely isn't an issue with Baldur's Gate 3.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah it's almost too much to keep track of (in a good way) -- you'll do something and think "Ah poo poo I have a ring with a unique effect that I stashed away 30 hours of that could have helped with that".

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

BG3 has some of the best itemization in recent RPGs, imo. Lots of fun stuff to muck around with. It's actually nuts how much of an improvement it is over DOS 1/2.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Excellent. Thanks folks!

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Phlegmish posted:

That reminds me, apparently the latest South Park special mentioned BG3 several times. I don't really recall them referring to specific video games before, except for the classic WOW episode (but then I haven't watched South Park in a very long time)

They had a Red Dead Redemption 2 episode. Also a board game episode filled with real games.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Opinions on Chained Echoes?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Anno posted:

BG3 has some of the best itemization in recent RPGs, imo. Lots of fun stuff to muck around with. It's actually nuts how much of an improvement it is over DOS 1/2.

Yeah picking up new items all the time and immediately thinking "Oh I can't use this atm but I could make a build that does fun poo poo with it, maybe I should respec" is a sign of a good loot system.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BG3 has easily the best loot system in the genre because every piece of gear you find has a unique effect that will be useful on some build or some situation.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Azran posted:

It has good world building with a pretty dark story. There's a Final Fantasy 6 vibe, but it doesn't lean on nostalgia.

They did clever things with the combat. You're forced to change up attacks to maximize damage, and your four active fighters switch freely with a tag team buddy. So you have up to eight characters and strong incentive to use their specials. Oh, and it auto-heals between fights, letting you go all out on each encounter. That spoiled me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Azran posted:

second best pixel jrpg throwback (behind crosscode, ahead of sea of stars)