Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

slidebite posted:

I don't see much of a difference firing up a VPN or taking 5 seconds to update ublock before hitting Youtube :shrug:

Google/Alphabet will be ratcheting the price up guaranteed. They have to. The that sweet, sweet monthly revenue is irresistible and after the profits flat-line (or don't rise enough) they will have no choice but to raise them again because of ~shareholder value~

Apple put up subscription prices last year and is apparently planning to hike them again early next year. Subscription price jacking is basically all these companies have left to juice the numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

slidebite posted:

I don't see much of a difference firing up a VPN or taking 5 seconds to update ublock before hitting Youtube :shrug:

Premium works on every platform. I can’t block ads on everything I use to watch YouTube

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Premium works on every platform. I can’t block ads on everything I use to watch YouTube

This. I bought Premium because I simply got tired of hitting Skip Ad every few minutes watching stuff on my C1 in bed

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MarcusSA posted:

That makes sense. I only watch on a PC myself so that's fair.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

slidebite posted:

or taking 5 seconds to update ublock before hitting Youtube :shrug:

I haven't even needed to do that in the past few days, did Google get bored?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

MarcusSA posted:

What platform aren't you able to block ads on? I mean I get that it's convenient to just sub to Premium and be done with it. It's pretty easy to find a way around them on almost anything today.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Not everybody wants to bother with different workarounds for PC, laptop, phone, tablet, and TV. We've been on this dumb poo poo for pages and pages of "Don't give Google your money/data" "I sub to it and it works well for me" "It's so easy to workaround/block".

Some people don't mind going out of their way to block ads on multiple devices. Other people don't mind paying $15/month to not have to deal with it. They're both fine choices.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
No

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I would imagine it is comically out of reach difficult for your average person that doesn't know what a folder>subfolder hierarchy tree is to figure out how to block ads on the youtube app on a smart tv or something.

Like the poster above said, everyone has their options that fit their capability, consumption rate and personal finances

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Are they cracking down on family plan sharing for premium? $30 split 5 ways isn’t bad.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
3 pages of YouTube chat better than 30 pages of Linus at least

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Nitr0 posted:

3 pages of YouTube chat better than 30 pages of Linus at least

This is literally the Linus chat thread. He's in the title. Pages of people refusing to comprehend that other people would rather pay $15/month for a service than try to figure out how to block/avoid ads on every different device and OS that they use is beyond tedious.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blurb3947 posted:

What platform aren't you able to block ads on? I mean I get that it's convenient to just sub to Premium and be done with it. It's pretty easy to find a way around them on almost anything today.

iPad (using the app) Apple TV. I don’t think you could block the ads on a Roku either.

Sure I could probably use YouTube in Safari with an adblocker and then cast it to the Apple TV but it’s real nice to just pick the tv remote up and scroll around.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

hobbesmaster posted:

Are they cracking down on family plan sharing for premium? $30 split 5 ways isn’t bad.

I had a friend add me to their family sharing plan and there was no fuss. Nothing afaik that attempts to limit it to a real physical household. Obviously anything can change whenever google feels like it of course.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I pay for youtube family because the videos are cool and having my mom / dad / wife / son watch adds is not cool.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Gin posted:

This is literally the Linus chat thread. He's in the title. Pages of people refusing to comprehend that other people would rather pay $15/month for a service than try to figure out how to block/avoid ads on every different device and OS that they use is beyond tedious.

thesis ... antithesis ...

synthesis: what if you watched ad-free videos on FLOATPLANE instead???

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I was trying to find something to put on while falling asleep last night and browsed down through the categories on the home page of smartertube and the Live category was all this

I have no idea what they actually are but, ugh, dire.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Klyith posted:

Correctly assessing that there is no alternative* is a different thing than "who cares".

*if you want to buy me an iphone and a bunch of subscription services that I'd need to fully de-google my life, be my guest!

The thing is while we can imagine how Google could track everyone they probably don’t put a lot of effort into tracking tough cases because it starts becoming a lot of work and generates a ton of dirty data.

If you use firefox on strict privacy, with a vpn, and clear your cookies every session, and don’t log into a google account and watch youtube on invidious and use an adblocker it is pretty hard to get meaningful tracking data out of that. If you don’t mind some jank you can randomize your user agent too.

As for de-googling cheaply you can just get a hosted nextcloud with email and sign up for kagi or use duckduckgo for free. I think I’ve seen hosted nextcloud for like $4/mo, I use an email provider that’s like $30/year. Kagi will let you automatically redirect to invidious even. If you run out of space on your nextcloud you can buy more super cheap with backblaze B2.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Not everybody wants to bother with different workarounds for PC, laptop, phone, tablet, and TV. We've been on this dumb poo poo for pages and pages of "Don't give Google your money/data" "I sub to it and it works well for me" "It's so easy to workaround/block".

Some people don't mind going out of their way to block ads on multiple devices. Other people don't mind paying $15/month to not have to deal with it. They're both fine choices.

Some user posted that they use vpn to sign up for youtube from Argentina for $2/mo. I think its a lot more compelling at that price point.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Internet Old One posted:

Argentina for $2/mo
Or, as they call it in Argentina, three months' wages.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Internet Old One posted:

The thing is while we can imagine how Google could track everyone they probably don’t put a lot of effort into tracking tough cases because it starts becoming a lot of work and generates a ton of dirty data.

If you use firefox on strict privacy, with a vpn, and clear your cookies every session, and don’t log into a google account and watch youtube on invidious and use an adblocker it is pretty hard to get meaningful tracking data out of that. If you don’t mind some jank you can randomize your user agent too.

As for de-googling cheaply you can just get a hosted nextcloud with email and sign up for kagi or use duckduckgo for free. I think I’ve seen hosted nextcloud for like $4/mo, I use an email provider that’s like $30/year. Kagi will let you automatically redirect to invidious even. If you run out of space on your nextcloud you can buy more super cheap with backblaze B2.

My sister and my stepfather got into a fight yesterday because a Tinder ad came up while someone was watching YouTube on the living room TV and my sister said "oh that means someone's been on dating apps. who's being unfaithful?" people are really really bad at understanding how tracking turns into ad presentations and poo poo, goddamn.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Arivia posted:

my sister said "oh that means someone's been on dating apps. who's being unfaithful?"

Your sister might be my ex-girlfriend.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Internet Old One posted:

Do you think google is making decisions about who to track? No! They're collecting all the data, and they don't really give a poo poo if it's good or bad or spoofed. You too have a data profile (or many) in the google panopticon.

For reference, I actually do a fair amount of anti-tracking and always have. Not out of full :tinfoil: that data will be successfully used against me, just out of general "gently caress you" cussedness to big corporations & ads. So no VPN, but general anti-cookie and tracking stuff. This worked fairly well for a long time, in that I saw different things on my desktop and laptop that indicated that Google didn't recognize me as a single person. I didn't get a smartphone until 2016, and the minute I did google was able to collapse that down. I started seeing correlated results, they triangulated me down to a single person with that extra data.

So tldr, the level of extra effort, or extra expense, you have to go through to stay completely blank to google is pretty extreme. And if you just go halfway, they collect what they can until they have a chance to connect it.

And that's just Google. Better not buy anything from Amazon, or watch Netflix, or do anything else on the internet with your IRL credit card. And that doesn't even get into the IRL sources of data you produce. Never fly on a plane! Go cash-only like some sort of psychopath!

Internet Old One posted:

Go right ahead and buy that poo poo for me. Don't forget the VPN subscription!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i always get a bit spooked when i recognize ad correlation between different devices across multiple apps. does amazon also sell profile data, cause it feels that way, but maybe that's just the other profilers being that good based on hoovering every scrap?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
amazon has a pretty booming ad business, so i'm assuming they're doing the same as everyone else. i ditched pinterest when they ramped up their "targeting", which always sounds nice

https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/742768184063758336

we're at a point where people are both criticizing tiktok for "stealing all your data" and defending them by saying that they're "not doing anything facebook isn't". technically true, but sucks how google and facebook made this the new baseline

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Anyone happen to have an extension/script that blocks youtube unless ublock is up to date?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

i always get a bit spooked when i recognize ad correlation between different devices across multiple apps. does amazon also sell profile data, cause it feels that way, but maybe that's just the other profilers being that good based on hoovering every scrap?

I feel like none of the megacorps are selling their own data to each other; they are hoarding it for their own advantage. But plenty of sites are selling to everyone who will buy it.

So for example lets say you need a new vacuum. You type "best vacuum review" in google, click the result for NYT wirecutter, click the link for amazon, buy vacuum. Google doesn't sell your search history to amazon, and amazon doesn't sell your purchase history to google. But NYT sold your clicks to both google and amazon, so they both know pretty much the whole story.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

I feel like none of the megacorps are selling their own data to each other; they are hoarding it for their own advantage. But plenty of sites are selling to everyone who will buy it.

So for example lets say you need a new vacuum. You type "best vacuum review" in google, click the result for NYT wirecutter, click the link for amazon, buy vacuum. Google doesn't sell your search history to amazon, and amazon doesn't sell your purchase history to google. But NYT sold your clicks to both google and amazon, so they both know pretty much the whole story.
There's an entire industry called data brokering, which is dedicated to collecting and selling/licensing data to third parties.

Mind you, the industry is older than the internet is - but it's never been turning a bigger profit than it is now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's an entire industry called data brokering, which is dedicated to collecting and selling/licensing data to third parties.

Mind you, the industry is older than the internet is - but it's never been turning a bigger profit than it is now.

Yeah it’s huge money.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Rinkles posted:

This was in one device but last week I was reading another SA thread where someone mentioned two specific video games, one of which I had never heard of. Not even 5 mins later, I opened Steam, which was NOT running in the background (or at least in the system tray, maybe some process I didn’t see) and lo and behold a pop up for the game I never heard of showed and when I closed that and went to the main Steam page, both games mentioned in the post were showing as recommended to me. I almost have to give them a round of applause for getting that data so quickly.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
YouTube is throwing product recommendations at me on the mobile app now. Not videos, just straight up little ad banners in the Home tab. They allow you to hide for 30 days, but much like the Shorts, im sure they’ll take the option away soon and then we’ll just be forced to live with it.

The iOS app works fairly well, but Google is hellbent on making me view YouTube on Safari with ton of decrapifying extensions, aren’t they?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Some dumb fucker wouldn’t shut up about lasik in the VR thread and the next time I go on YouTube I got two different videos on LASIK.

It’s almost impressive.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Some dumb fucker wouldn’t shut up about lasik in the VR thread and the next time I go on YouTube I got two different videos on LASIK.

It’s almost impressive.

I am so horny for men and I'm a hot single mom in your area and I want to hook up I want to find single men in my area single men hook up sex tinder grindr milf sex sex my holes

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

beep by grandpa posted:

I am so horny for men and I'm a hot single mom in your area and I want to hook up I want to find single men in my area single men hook up sex tinder grindr milf sex sex my holes

Wild, Now all my google searches are just Hot single moms in my area, as well as i think Google Changed my Sexuality to fit the algorithm

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

I swear to god….

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
And all of this is hurting you...how?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Shipon posted:

And all of this is hurting you...how?

All these horny ads I’ve gotten since reading the last 4 posts itt basically guarantees my erections are gonna last more than 4 hours

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

beep by grandpa posted:

same, tbh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

So it didn't do anything on my iphone but I'm on a computer now so fingers crossed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Great, now they're putting in lovely F2P mobile games into YouTube.

Who asked for this poo poo....?