Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Coolguye posted:

the way my little pony took over the universe for a few years still does my head in

never forget fallout equestria

or preferably do, god help me i've tried

oh, you think it's over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

Do I roll one fish block or three when assailing a slag heap from moist ground?

A woman with three fish blocks is a woman who married three soldiers before they deployed.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

mobiks require an extra vodka ration to unfreeze their fishblock ration during the accounting phase

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Neophyte posted:

edit: seriously you're joking I hope
He is definitely not joking.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Horsebanger posted:

mobiks require an extra vodka ration to unfreeze their fishblock ration during the accounting phase
They can also use a kerosene canister to do so, but many players don't know about this since nearly everyone sells it when they're in Belarus.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
How many washing machines do I collect when I pass start and what’s the conversion rate to looted toilets?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Owling Howl posted:

How many washing machines do I collect when I pass start and what’s the conversion rate to looted toilets?
What conversion? Just put the detergent in the flush tank.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

https://bullypulpitgames.com/products/fiasco

It's a rules-light RPG focused on mimicking films about plans gone bad like Fargo, A Simple Plan and Glen Gary Glen Ross. It comes with play-sets to make the game more about a specific version of this story - a small town, a frontier town, an Antarctic research base. Fans have also come up with play-sets, including those focused on current events, including the Trump Administration.

Kind of like a Hip-hop special operation system.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

You were eaten by a GRU

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Son of Rodney posted:

You were eaten by a GRU

New thread title

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Coolguye posted:

the way my little pony took over the universe for a few years still does my head in

never forget fallout equestria

or preferably do, god help me i've tried

a television show that nerds desperate for some sort of positive outlet in their lives flock to, combined with said nerds being the exact sort of introvert to enjoy making 500,000 words of fan fiction.

I KNOW BECAUSE I DID.

The fact that the background lore is absolute world building catnip (enough to make you curious, not enough to make it not a cartoon) helps.

Dead Sex-Parrot posted:

Still scratching my head about the concept of a my little pony mod for a war game.

It's because of a confluence of things: Nerds with free time, HOI4s insane modability, and the ability of HOI4 to function as a narrative device attached to an addictive map game. There's some very well made narratives buried in there, and they stack on each other. One good narrative inspires another writer, and after six odd years of this snowballing here we are. The fact that the map game is a ton more fun with an actual unique world, with uncertain outcomes, instead of "WW2 but what if" also lends itself to this.

In an on topic lol: The Ruble, lol.

E: okay legit I thought that post was newer, my bad.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 31, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Coolguye posted:

fallout equestria

Really turned the tables, that game:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

SirPhoebos posted:

I wanted to give an update on the Fiasco playset for the Ukraine War that I started putting together: It's about 4/5ths of the way to a first draft. The focus is on the Russian side of things. I still need to figure out the relationship table - I don't want to go with anything too generic, so I have to think of specific connections that'll be interesting.

(if the thread would rather I not discuss making an RPG supplement for an ongoing conflict, I won't).

Fiasco is an exceedingly fun game and more should play it, but an Ukraine war themed setting is just :psyduck:

I'm not gonna tell you what to do in your free time, but this is not the place and time for it. Thanks.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Russian propagandists and even Putin are outdoing themselves in blaming Zelensky and Ukraine for the anti-Semitic pogrom in Dagestan

for example "politicial scientist" Markov who was moaning not so long ago that it's laughable and improper that Jews and Armenians are discussing the policies of Russia on Solovyev's show

perhaps because until recently their propaganda was saying that antisemitism is a cultural norm for many (Russian) Muslims and it's simply a fact that was to be accepted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUIp0pmxckE

or because the administration considered anti-Semitism a joke and downplayed it?

quote:

The anti-Semitic riot at the Makhachkala airport on Sunday came as a “shock” to the Putin administration and constituted a “total emergency” for the president’s team, Meduza has learned from sources close to the Kremlin and the country’s ruling United Russia party.

According to one person close to the Putin administration, at the beginning of the recent wave of anti-Semitic incidents in the North Caucasus, officials and political strategists who work in the administration sent each other videos of Dagestan residents “looking for Jews.” They shared the clips “just for laughs,” the source explained.

On October 28, residents of the Dagestani city of Khasavyurt gathered at the Flamingo Hotel after a Telegram channel posted rumors suggesting the hotel was “full of Jews.” The same day, people in Cherkessk, the capital of Russia’s Karachay-Cherkess Republic, held an anti-Israel rally, where they demanded that Jews be “expelled” from the region. The following morning, on October 29, unidentified arsonists set fire to an unfinished Jewish cultural center in the town of Nalchik in the Kabardino-Balkarian Republic.

edit: well, Kadyrov has a solution - shoot people that protest

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 31, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bring back the guillotines IMO.

Yle.fi posted:

France has apprehended a Russian oligarch on suspicion of crimes

French police have arrested Russian businessman Alexei Kuzmichev on suspicion of tax evasion, money laundering and evading international sanctions. The news were broken on Tuesday by France's national prosecutors.

Search warrants were executed at Kuzmichev's apartment in Paris, as well as his villa in the Var region at the Mediterranean coast. Kuzmichev was being held on Tuesday, but no official charges had been brought yet.

Last year the French customs officials repossessed the oligarch's 27 meter long yacht.

And predictably Kremiln is upset about it.

Yle.fi posted:

Kremlin: Russia is ready to assist the oligarch arrested by France

Russia is waiting for information on the case of the Russian businessman Alexei Kuzmichev, who was arrested in France on Tuesday, says the Kremlin spokesman Dmitri Peskov.

The French are interrogating Kuzmichev on suspicion of tax evasion, money laundering, and violating international sanctions.

- As far as I know, he is a Russian citizen, so we must be allowed to get information on his arrest through our embassy, Peskov said.

According to Peskov Russia is ready to assist Kuzmichev, if he wants the help. The billionaire Kuzmichev was formerly one of the largest stock owners of the Russian Alfa Bank.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dwesa posted:

Russian propagandists and even Putin are outdoing themselves in blaming Zelensky and Ukraine for the anti-Semitic pogrom in Dagestan

for example "politicial scientist" Markov who was moaning not so long ago that it's laughable and improper that Jews and Armenians are discussing the policies of Russia on Solovyev's show

perhaps because until recently their propaganda was saying that antisemitism is a cultural norm for many (Russian) Muslims and it's simply a fact that was to be accepted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUIp0pmxckE

or because the administration considered anti-Semitism a joke and downplayed it?

edit: well, Kadyrov has a solution - shoot people that protest

Something tells me there won’t be any three warning shots first.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Bring back the guillotines IMO.

And predictably Kremiln is upset about it.

If anyone's going to execute a Russian oligarch, it's going to be RUSSIA!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Samovar posted:

If anyone's going to execute a Russian oligarch, it's going to be RUSSIA!

Only if they say bad things about smol Vlad.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Nerds have been war gaming for thousands of years. I honestly don't see the problem with game boy. You guys are just getting your knickers in a twist over the most banal of past times.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Oi brav don’t get ye knickers in a twist aroight mate

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
The BBC reports Russian soldiers murdered a family of 9 In occupied territories. Not particularly noteworthy given RuAFs actions in this war but Russia uncharacteristically arrested 2 of their own.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I cannot believe that Putin was deposed in a coup this afternoon led by Fitness Celebrity John Basedow.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Owling Howl posted:

The BBC reports Russian soldiers murdered a family of 9 In occupied territories. Not particularly noteworthy given RuAFs actions in this war but Russia uncharacteristically arrested 2 of their own.
Rolled a 1 on the murder/pillage check and now you're getting transferred to the penal battalion

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I cannot believe that Putin was deposed in a coup this afternoon led by Fitness Celebrity John Basedow.

Preposterous. Seagal would have crushed that puny ant.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Owling Howl posted:

It's because they were supposed to kill the family of 12 next door.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Didn't putin or about to sign a decree saying returning soldiers can't be charged for stuff they did in Ukraine?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Tai posted:

Didn't putin or about to sign a decree saying returning soldiers can't be charged for stuff they did in Ukraine?

Even if they could, they wouldn't be anyways. Same poo poo as US soldiers in Iraq.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tai posted:

Can't be charged, and newspapers are no longer allowed to report on crimes conducted by the returning veterans.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
But people tell me Russia has free speech though..

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

newspapers are no longer allowed to report on crimes conducted by the returning veterans.

Not true

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tai posted:

But people tell me Russia has free speech though..

that old soviet joke about an american saying he has freedom of speech because he can go to the white house and yell TO HELL WITH REAGAN and the soviet man laughs and says he has freedom of speech as well because he can go to the kremlin and also yell TO HELL WITH REAGAN

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Der Kyhe posted:

Can't be charged, and newspapers are no longer allowed to report on crimes conducted by the returning veterans.
According to big brain putin logic this makes sense.

Assumption 1: Russian soldiers who do crimes in Ukraine have immunity

Assumption 2: There's no such thing as Ukraine. Ukraine = Russia!

Conclusion: Russian soldiers can't be charged for crimes they do in Russia either!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Maybe not strictly forbidden from it but it's definitely discouraged in an unofficial decree

https://meduza.io/feature/2023/10/24/chtoby-rossiyane-ih-ne-boyalis

quote:

Государственные и провластные российские СМИ получили новые указания от администрации президента (АП). На этот раз пропагандистов просят не публиковать новости о преступлениях, которые совершают россияне, вернувшиеся с войны с Украиной (в том числе наемники и бывшие заключенные, получившие помилование). Об этом «Медузе» рассказали два сотрудника изданий, близких к властям.

Собеседники уточнили, что раньше таких рекомендаций не было — и некоторые провластные СМИ с удовольствием публиковали подобные новости. «Криминал всегда дает хороший трафик, а упоминание про СВО в заголовке подогревает аудиторию, делает новость более кликабельной», — объяснил один из источников.

Например, в середине октября «Лента.ру» сообщала о том, что «бывший вагнеровец вернулся с СВО и зарезал бабушку-инвалида из-за денег». Подобные публикации также регулярно появлялись в провластных телеграм-каналах и региональных СМИ, подконтрольных местным администрациям.

quote:

State and pro-government Russian media received new instructions from the presidential administration (AP). This time, propagandists are asked not to publish news about crimes committed by Russians returning from the war with Ukraine (including mercenaries and former prisoners who have received pardons). Two employees of publications close to the authorities told Meduza about this.

The interlocutors clarified that there had been no such recommendations before - and some pro-government media outlets were happy to publish such news. “Crime always gives good traffic, and mentioning SVO in the headline warms up the audience and makes the news more clickable,” explained one of the sources.

For example, in mid-October, Lenta.ru reported that “a former Wagnerite returned from the North Military District and stabbed a disabled grandmother to death for money.” Similar publications also regularly appeared in pro-government telegram channels and regional media controlled by local administrations.

And another relevant section:

quote:

Meduza’s interlocutor, close to the AP, explained that restrictions on such news “are overdue so that the Russians do not consider the fighters potential criminals and are not afraid of their return.”

He also noted that truly “patriotic journalists” understood the inappropriateness of such publications even before the Kremlin’s recommendations. Thus, on the websites of the popular tabloids “Komsomolskaya Pravda” and “Moskovsky Komsomolets” there is no news about crimes committed by participants in the war. But you can find a lot of positive texts about them. For example, “KP” told how a “SVO soldier” unexpectedly came to his daughter’s school and gave her flowers, and another soldier returned from Ukraine “with bouquets for his wife and mother.”

A Meduza source close to the presidential administration emphasized: “There is a desire to show that really polite, sensitive and caring people are returning from the front.”

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Achieving veteran worship was a major thing in the US, required a whole lot of propaganda. For most of human history, soldiers have been distrusted at best. Makes sense Putin would try to achieve it.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Tigey posted:

According to big brain putin logic this makes sense.

Assumption 1: Russian soldiers who do crimes in Ukraine have immunity

Assumption 2: There's no such thing as Ukraine. Ukraine = Russia!

Conclusion: Russian soldiers can't be charged for crimes they do in Russia either!

You also cant be charged for crimes if the judicial system no longer exists *taps forehead*

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yle.fi posted:
As far as I know, he is a Russian citizen, so we must be allowed to get information on his arrest through our embassy, Peskov said.

Dear Russian Embassy,

He was arrested. For doing crime. This is a thing that happens in countries that aren't actually just gas stations run by the mob. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

France

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

IAmThatIs posted:

Achieving veteran worship was a major thing in the US, required a whole lot of propaganda. For most of human history, soldiers have been distrusted at best. Makes sense Putin would try to achieve it.

Eh, in the US it required WWII

Pretty sure Russia loves the Great Patriotic War and propaganda as much as anyone if not moreso, so it's not just that

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

how many husbands do you have

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tarquinn posted:

Fiasco is an exceedingly fun game and more should play it, but an Ukraine war themed setting is just :psyduck:

I'm not gonna tell you what to do in your free time, but this is not the place and time for it. Thanks.

me walking in with my Gazapoly board

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Mr Teatime posted:

Kind of like a Hip-hop special operation system.

lol