Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's this clever thing you can do where you can put hundreds of people inside a big car that runs on a road made just for it, and you only need one person to drive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

There's this clever thing you can do where you can put hundreds of people inside a big car that runs on a road made just for it, and you only need one person to drive it.

you need a person to drive it? are they doing it for fun?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you need a person to drive it? are they doing it for fun?

Yes. Driving a train is fun

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i have driven a train through the channel tunnel at the science museum in london. it was not fun

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If people weren't doing stupid jobs we could take turns driving the trains and also we probably wouldn't need to drive as many of them.

Whereas if everyone is using self driving cars you need lots of people employed to constantly make cars.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've help put in some cool stuff that helps with automatic trains. I don't know how close we are to complete driverless trains but it feels like it's closer than a road full of driverless cars

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Operating on literal rails on fully segregated tracks which already rely primarily on off-vehicle sensors to direct traffic is absolutely a better situation for automation than cars.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Everyone wants to be the philosopher poet in the revolution. Nobody wants to clean the toilets.

I think recognising we have less than 1 job per person to do in the country is important. The fairest way to divvy that work out is to make those who can do 0.6 of a job at the same pay. You'd see a transformation within a short space of time. People would fill their lives with other things, we do inherently want to create and enjoy our lives.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

winegums posted:

Everyone wants to be the philosopher poet in the revolution. Nobody wants to clean the toilets.

I think recognising we have less than 1 job per person to do in the country is important. The fairest way to divvy that work out is to make those who can do 0.6 of a job at the same pay. You'd see a transformation within a short space of time. People would fill their lives with other things, we do inherently want to create and enjoy our lives.

The other things that people do with their time to enjoy their lives also create actual jobs, it's pretty nifty. Sometimes the jobs they create are even cool and good, relative to the average job.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 31, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"continue this way plebian, for you must fill my coffers"
Conflating the innate drive for progress and meaning with "lol work you loving scrub" is hilarious

Quelle surprise that a landlord harbours this mindset

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I read Mistress Masham's Repose very young, and this quote about TH White's stranded Lilliputian community always stuck with me as the ideal attitude to "work":

quote:

They believed that the most important thing in the world was to find out what one liked doing, and then to do it. Thus the people who liked being hunters, were hunters; those who liked fishing, fished; and anybody who did not like doing anything at all was supported by the others with the greatest care and commiseration, for they considered him to be the most unfortunate of mortals.

That book affected a lot of my attitudes, come to think of it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'd happily clean the toilets on a rota basis! Like, 2 days a week doing my same sort of computer- touching job, then 1 day as a janitor, then 1 day as a taxi driver, or retail worker or something. Then the next 3 days off, 'cos we may as well throw in a 4 day working week while we're at it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I remember scrubbing the bogs when I worked at a Subway and there are many days working every job since where I wish I could do that instead, but for the same pay. It's not that bad, they gave me a brush. Hell, even working at the subway, it was usually better than dealing with customers.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

PT6A posted:

for the same pay

Certain types of work are systematically underpaid, disrespected or negatively incentivized. The abstract tasks of delivering food to people or driving people around, for example, could be very rewarding materialistically and inherently, but current systems - in which time constraints, poor pay and ratings lead to antagonistic interactions and bad driving - makes that almost impossible. Another example is the British Gas engineer whose appointments and time are managed by a computer somewhere and is negatively impacted by spending too long with a customer, instead of being trusted to use their technical knowledge to do a good job and being properly paid.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

big scary monsters posted:

I've been unemployed a few times and honestly it was great except that I didn't have any money. That's really the main downside of not working in my experience.

I got terribly depressed

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There’s an Israeli arms manufacturer with an office near my work, this morning there’s a group of people lying across the entrance to their car park with a big pro-Palestine banner

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

you should join them op

even divorced from regional events, arms manufacturers are universally bad and terrible and deserving of your ire

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Skimming through the past two pages are people having to explain to NJAN99 that expending effort on non-fun things is not the same as partaking in a 9-5 workday?

History Comes Inside! posted:

There’s an Israeli arms manufacturer with an office near my work, this morning there’s a group of people lying across the entrance to their car park with a big pro-Palestine banner

Niiice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

domhal posted:

Certain types of work are systematically underpaid, disrespected or negatively incentivized. The abstract tasks of delivering food to people or driving people around, for example, could be very rewarding materialistically and inherently, but current systems - in which time constraints, poor pay and ratings lead to antagonistic interactions and bad driving - makes that almost impossible. Another example is the British Gas engineer whose appointments and time are managed by a computer somewhere and is negatively impacted by spending too long with a customer, instead of being trusted to use their technical knowledge to do a good job and being properly paid.

Agreed. And I even see it in my current profession. I teach people how to fly planes, and I really enjoy doing it. The top of the pay-scale for that is poo poo, it could be eclipsed by an airline pilot with a few years of experience, and no matter how good I get at it, it's never going to improve. The choices are leave the job I love, and have gotten pretty good at, and make massively more money, or stay and pass on my experience and eat poo poo for it. It's not a choice that you'd have to make in a sane system.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I cannot believe you lot have had a multi page discussion about 'work' because 99 replied to me saying some people can't work with "pretty much everyone can work" and you got drawn into talking about it instead of telling him to gently caress away off for posting like a Tory

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

kecske posted:

I could probably do without work because my back and knees are hosed but without some kind of daily structure or routine I would go feral pretty quickly, eating noodles on toast at 3am watching let's plays of 30 year old mmos

I think we just might be the same person

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I enjoy my work, but I hate my job

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

I cannot believe you lot have had a multi page discussion about 'work' because 99 replied to me saying some people can't work with "pretty much everyone can work" and you got drawn into talking about it instead of telling him to gently caress away off for posting like a Tory

Talking about how work loving sucks is always something I'm down for

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

fridge corn posted:

I enjoy my work, but I hate my job

My god... it's 9 perfect words.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ms Adequate posted:

Tbf I dislike the sentiment that encouraging disabled people back into work is in some way cruel. Most disabled people want to work, but are not given the support they need to be allowed to.

The issue with the Tories is they don't plan to provide that support (and Starmers Labour won't either)

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Working 9 to 5, what a way to make a living

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Tbf I dislike the sentiment that encouraging disabled people back into work is in some way cruel. Most disabled people want to work, but are not given the support they need to be allowed to.

The issue with the Tories is they don't plan to provide that support (and Starmers Labour won't either)

I think the cruel part is the part where the encouragement essentially equates to “do it or we’ll just starve you out”, personally.

It’s not like they’re out there saying “maybe you should get a job, it might help with your mental health or *other beneficial effect here*”, they’re saying “get off your rear end and get a job or we’re going to keep making your life harder and harder until you break”.

It’s not encouragement, it’s a threat.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 31, 2023

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

This all sounds like an excellent argument for

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Not So Fast posted:

W**king 9 to 5, what a way to make a living

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

Skimming through the past two pages are people having to explain to NJAN99 that expending effort on non-fun things is not the same as partaking in a 9-5 workday?
Dealing with 99 is work

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

space space communism

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

just walked past one of the jewish schools here in north london and the amount of security around it is unreal, like something you'd see in the states

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

kecske posted:

just walked past one of the jewish schools here in north london and the amount of security around it is unreal, like something you'd see in the states

I don't blame them honestly. It feels like lots of people have lost the plot. The real right wing anti semites seem to be having a field day (maybe I am just not used to seeing this) in amongst the chaos.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

And some don't. Some find the whole process adds huge stress to them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/31/keir-starmer-israel-hamas-ceasefire-may-risk-further-violence

Kieth is at it again

"Keir Starmer: Israel-Hamas ceasefire may risk further violence

A permanent ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war could risk further violence, Keir Starmer is expected to say, as he attempts to quell growing tensions within his party over the conflict."

What a leader. What vision. What a worthless oval office.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Some might say that a non-stop barrage of rockets destroying civilian bodies and homes is a form of violence, but I am not a very serious and constipated leader of a major political party

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mega Comrade posted:

I mean, yes, to some extent that's true, but the country we live in does not provide any of that support and believes that the most effective, and only appropriate, way to encourage disabled people into work is by making life on benefits utterly miserable and making us regularly demonstrate that, yes, the lifelong conditions that afflict us still afflict us (oftentimes wrongly denying our benefits renewals and forcing us through the appeals process with all the combined stress of the process itself and lack of income until and unless it succeeds).

This is without mentioning that work for many disabled people would require such radical departure from how things currently operate as to be preposterous.

We're so far from a society that facilitates disabled people working that yes, I do believe it is cruel to encourage ('encourage') disabled people into work. It does far more harm to all of us who can't work or would need considerations that capitalism finds prohibitive than arguing it's cruel does in any discouragement it causes to the disabled.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Permanent ceasefire could cause future violence is a The Whitest Kids U Know skit, prove me wrong.

winegums posted:

I've got one of those flat silicone toilet brushes and they're a lot nicer to work with than anything written by Hegel.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If cleaning toilets paid the same as the job I already have then I’d rather be cleaning toilets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ms Adequate posted:

I mean, yes, to some extent that's true, but the country we live in does not provide any of that support and believes that the most effective, and only appropriate, way to encourage disabled people into work is by making life on benefits utterly miserable and making us regularly demonstrate that, yes, the lifelong conditions that afflict us still afflict us (oftentimes wrongly denying our benefits renewals and forcing us through the appeals process with all the combined stress of the process itself and lack of income until and unless it succeeds).

This is without mentioning that work for many disabled people would require such radical departure from how things currently operate as to be preposterous.

We're so far from a society that facilitates disabled people working that yes, I do believe it is cruel to encourage ('encourage') disabled people into work. It does far more harm to all of us who can't work or would need considerations that capitalism finds prohibitive than arguing it's cruel does in any discouragement it causes to the disabled.

Yeah. People shouldn't need to work. Once that pressure's removed they can decide if they want to work, and what at.