Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vampire Panties posted:

If you can figure out a way for an endpoint to call another endpoint by effectively punching in an email address, without any sort of common registry, managed circuits, or PSTN inbetween, PM me because we can literally build a better mousetrap.
Maybe I missed the joke but isn't this just normal SIP with NAPTR and SRV records configured properly? We've had that as long as I've been in VoIP, but no one other than VoIP nerds actually sets it up. You could enter my email address in to a VoIP device and your call will find and reach my PBX, but for spam reasons actually accepting calls from unknown systems has been disabled for years. If your system was on my allowlist the call would reach my desk though.

In the better part of 20 years doing this as far as I can recall the only time I've ever used SIP URI dialing for a real call rather than just testing was back when ZipDX conferences could be accessed in G.722 by doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

"But our retention policy is 7 years!" buy a mail archiving solution.

If the retention requirement would create a legal liability if violated, buy an email archive system, and make sure it has good legal hold and search capabilities. Happy Happenstance Retention isn't a great way to actually enforce a policy, and whoops would you look at that, mailbox full.

you really want drop off retention and a duty of the custodian or legal to preserve with tools available. Having *just everything* in enterprise vault is how IT gets on the chain of custody.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Hi thread, I need another product recommendation. Boss wants something that will scan our NAS VMs for folders that have both high filecounts (say, 1000+) and have not been modified in the last several years and then generate a report for us, so that we can then zip said folders and reduce our overall filecount. We use SecuriSync for cloud file sharing and I guess it performs better with lower filecounts? I dunno.

WinDirStat gives me the information I need but doesn't generate reports and boss strongly prefers a more robust and automated solution and doesn't mind paying for one. Thoughts?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TreeSize

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I would rather chew my own arm off then work at a place that buys all of its software off the shelf. This isn’t a response to anything. Just the worst business segments to work with

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

i am a moron posted:

I would rather chew my own arm off then work at a place that buys all of its software off the shelf. This isn’t a response to anything. Just the worst business segments to work with

My soon-to-be-former senior director is absolutely this type, to the point where he wants to throw out perfectly good internal systems for something off the shelf. Even if there isn't really something you can just buy off the shelf. Lots of our biggest "off the shelf" software purchases still have "developers" attached to them to actually implement them, though I think he thinks that if you just find the right software then you just write a small check every month and then your IT staff are free to focus on the mission or whatever bullshit. He's not a very good leader, I'm happy to be leaving.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

i am a moron posted:

I'm going to interpret this as a response to my question. How dare you

Thanks, I'll check out their paid offers

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

johnny park posted:

Hi thread, I need another product recommendation. Boss wants something that will scan our NAS VMs for folders that have both high filecounts (say, 1000+) and have not been modified in the last several years and then generate a report for us, so that we can then zip said folders and reduce our overall filecount. We use SecuriSync for cloud file sharing and I guess it performs better with lower filecounts? I dunno.

WinDirStat gives me the information I need but doesn't generate reports and boss strongly prefers a more robust and automated solution and doesn't mind paying for one. Thoughts?

Foldersizes is what we use. Also quite cheap.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wolrah posted:

Maybe I missed the joke but isn't this just normal SIP with NAPTR and SRV records configured properly? We've had that as long as I've been in VoIP, but no one other than VoIP nerds actually sets it up. You could enter my email address in to a VoIP device and your call will find and reach my PBX, but for spam reasons actually accepting calls from unknown systems has been disabled for years. If your system was on my allowlist the call would reach my desk though.

In the better part of 20 years doing this as far as I can recall the only time I've ever used SIP URI dialing for a real call rather than just testing was back when ZipDX conferences could be accessed in G.722 by doing that.

It's annoying that ENUM never took off

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

Eh it wasn’t a joke, more like “SIP with SRV records is already the :airquote: easiest :airquote: way to implement dialing”. Every other option I’ve ever seen was ultimately more complicated or required a 3rd party service

Also SiP URI dialing was the de facto method of 3rd party video calling from 2010 to 2020 or so. I’ve configured and used it for a kerjillion clients. The trick is the firewall traversal & configuring dialing rules that only allow inside connections if they know the full URI string. Also :ssh: you could use sip uri dialing to join webex meetings as audio only without consuming licenses or using pstn circuits :ssh: (Cisco/webex formalized this as webex edge audio and gave me zero credit :rolleyes:)
SIP URI dialing failed out when MS Teams took over everything. You can still technically join a teams meeting by URI but they’re like 160 character strings

However the bit about fraud reminded me when PIMCO (not the life insurance with the whale) screwed up their inbound dialing rules and got hit by ISDN toll fraud to the tune of 180k$ in one month

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

johnny park posted:

Thanks, I'll check out their paid offers

PowerShell and Scheduled Tasks can also do what you're looking to do fairly easily. Might be worth a look.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Something really odd is happening with my admin account. It has an active email address even though theres no license in the 365 admin center that would grant it nor do I want the account to have one. Clicking on mail in the Admin Center says I don't have an Exchange Online License. If you go to Exchange Admin center directly, I can see the mailbox, not quite sure where to even start on this one. :confused: Its got a database and external object ID in powershell too.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 30, 2023

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Foldersizes is what we use. Also quite cheap.

This has exactly what we wanted, thank you!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

It's annoying that ENUM never took off
IIRC a few countries actually set up official registries, but there wasn't even an attempt in the US.

Shocking, I'm sure, that the company that would presumably have been responsible for running it is also the one that makes money off of running the number portability databases among other things which would have been largely obsoleted by a good ENUM implementation.

I've heard that some of the big telcos use ENUM internally, I've played around with doing the same but it's just a lot of headache for little benefit compared to just directly programming those same routes in to our SBCs. I'd imagine if we had a larger network the advantages might be greater.

Vampire Panties posted:

Eh it wasn’t a joke, more like “SIP with SRV records is already the :airquote: easiest :airquote: way to implement dialing”. Every other option I’ve ever seen was ultimately more complicated or required a 3rd party service
To be fair it is pretty easy, it's just never very well explained, especially the NAPTR part which took me quite a while to understand what purpose it served. The SRV side is a lot more straightforward.

quote:

Also SiP URI dialing was the de facto method of 3rd party video calling from 2010 to 2020 or so. I’ve configured and used it for a kerjillion clients. The trick is the firewall traversal & configuring dialing rules that only allow inside connections if they know the full URI string. Also :ssh: you could use sip uri dialing to join webex meetings as audio only without consuming licenses or using pstn circuits :ssh: (Cisco/webex formalized this as webex edge audio and gave me zero credit :rolleyes:)
SIP URI dialing failed out when MS Teams took over everything. You can still technically join a teams meeting by URI but they’re like 160 character strings
Oooh yea, I forgot about that. We rarely touch video so it doesn't come up often in my life but there was a time when Polycom really wanted us to push their room systems for some reason.

quote:

However the bit about fraud reminded me when PIMCO (not the life insurance with the whale) screwed up their inbound dialing rules and got hit by ISDN toll fraud to the tune of 180k$ in one month
We used to wholesale a Broadsoft system and at one point the default config had the ability to dial out from voicemail. Combine that with the way users tend to choose their voicemail passwords and we had a similar situation with a MASSIVE bill that almost took us down. I do not miss that system.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Internet Explorer posted:

PowerShell and Scheduled Tasks can also do what you're looking to do fairly easily. Might be worth a look.

Can confirm powershell is great for setting scheduled task, you'll never guess the command

Set-ScheduledTask

Anyway getting real sick of my coworkers poo poo today, love being condescendingly told that the ticket about the phone system not working is, in fact, probably about the current phone system, and not the one that goes live in 2 days.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
Imagine being an operations manager for a tiny 3 tech MSP, going on a week-long vacation to St. John, then logging into Connectwise at 9PM EST to manually go through your technicians' tickets so you can scold them in teams for doing their jobs. Well, imagine no more.

One of several against each several employees.

Nothing crazy, just a typical micromanager that's starting to show her rear end.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 31, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Imagine being an operations manager for a tiny 3 tech MSP, going on a week-long vacation to St. John, then logging into Connectwise at 9PM EST to manually go through your technicians' tickets so you can scold them in teams for doing their jobs. Well, imagine no more.

One of several against each several employees.

Nothing crazy, just a typical micromanager that's starting to show her rear end.

That poo poo sucks, hope you get out from under her soon

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Me too. Got a job offer this afternoon that I'm going to learn more about tomorrow from a contact, so here's hoping I leave this vastly underpaid gig behind.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are they normally like that or is this new? Because from that single screenshot it feels like they got chewed out for something and are trying to claw back some self respect.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

No, she just talks like that, in person as well. This ticket is one she's been wanting addressed for several months, and is very simple: remove all remote agents on machines that haven't been active. We had a backlog of them since a couple clients have employees that use machines once a year or so, and we wanted to verify with her that we knee which clients those were. She's pushed to "discuss" this multiple times, but it's been a month since it was last addressed and my dispatcher pushed me the ticket, so I just did my job as requested, removing all agents not seen in the last 60 days, according to company policy.

She's also taken to watching everyone through our security cameras and eavesdropping on conversations, walking up unannounced behind us multiple times a day if she feels the techs are talking too much for a "status update" to interrogate you about the work you're doing, passive aggressively insulting people when she pleases (our dispatcher in particular), and has also created a system where EVERY ticket is high priority and must be taken care of right then; an ID scanner or email issue is given near equal weight to a downed server or failure of LoB software, which means we spend almost all our time jumping tickets abd putting out small "fires" rather than implementing solutions or doing useful admin activities.

I'm bitching, I know, and it's not remotely the worst job I've had, but I am a combo commercial sysadmin and residential repairman making 34K a year, and not being paid overtime. I literally am not being paid enough to put up with it.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 31, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Forgot to add, she's like this because the owner, though a great guy, basically has no idea how the company functions day to day and abdicates a lot of responsibility, so she essentially does what she wants, how she wants, with no pushback

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

I'm bitching, I know, and it's not remotely the worst job I've had, but I am a combo commercial sysadmin and residential repairman making 34K a year, and not being paid overtime. I literally am not being paid enough to put up with it.

What the hell kind of job combo is that.

Also that’s poo poo pay even for our entry level service techs ( residential repairmen) for our apartments, let alone any computer toucher.

Oh wait did you mean residential IT repairs? That makes way more sense and is why I shouldn’t be scrolling while falling asleep.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 31, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Cyks posted:

What the hell kind of job combo is that.

Also that’s poo poo pay even for our entry level service techs ( residential repairmen) for our apartments, let alone any computer toucher.

Oh wait did you mean residential IT repairs? That makes way more sense and is why I shouldn’t be scrolling while falling asleep.

No it's a combo, the owner bought a residential PC repair shop a decade ago, started a MSP, and the two companies are intertwined. So I am both a sysadmin and do residential repair.

And it can really, really suck when the two clash. Which they do almost every day.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

No it's a combo, the owner bought a residential PC repair shop a decade ago, started a MSP, and the two companies are intertwined. So I am both a sysadmin and do residential repair.

And it can really, really suck when the two clash. Which they do almost every day.

Right for some reason I was picturing you were a sysadmin who also fixed people’s kitchen sinks as a job responsibility cause I wasn’t thinking at all.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

That would be a more entertaining job, I think!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The first rule of 9PM Teams messages is that you didn't see them

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, my Outlook & Teams app notifications shut off the moment my shift ends. You can schedule it in the app. I have a life, suckers!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, gently caress. I just got laid off. Need to force myself to take a couple days to regroup and get my head on straight, figure out what kind of job I'm looking for aside from "remote."

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, gently caress. I just got laid off. Need to force myself to take a couple days to regroup and get my head on straight, figure out what kind of job I'm looking for aside from "remote."

Sorry to hear that - hopefully you get back on your feet soon.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Do you think companies are going to drop these products? I can't see companies leaving Okta, Zoom, etc. and there's still stuff that they are adding which their customer really want.

We're dropping Okta. It's not easy, but the cost savings are finally big enough to make it worth it. Most companies are looking at cutting costs, and we have a 7 figure Okta bill every year. Combine that with the ever increasing price of Microsoft E5 licenses, there's a push to derive more value from Microsoft solutions we're paying for anyway.

We have roughly 90K users, and 1400 apps in Okta right now.

It's a 3 year project to move off of Okta, to minimize disruption we're timing it with the certificate rotation of the apps.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

johnny park posted:

This wouldn't be a bad opportunity to write this yourself with powershell. Recursively seek directories, and test each for age then number of child directories. If you get a hit, write the path out to a text file.

Short, direct path to exactly what you need, no frills, and you can zip the files right then and there in the powershell if you want to.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

skipdogg posted:

We're dropping Okta. It's not easy, but the cost savings are finally big enough to make it worth it. Most companies are looking at cutting costs, and we have a 7 figure Okta bill every year. Combine that with the ever increasing price of Microsoft E5 licenses, there's a push to derive more value from Microsoft solutions we're paying for anyway.

We have roughly 90K users, and 1400 apps in Okta right now.

It's a 3 year project to move off of Okta, to minimize disruption we're timing it with the certificate rotation of the apps.

Yeaaaaaaaaaah we're gradually ditching identity and mfa cruft outside the MS subscription we already pay for, and honestly I'm glad it's slowly happening.

All eggs in one basket isn't scaring me very much in this case. It's a basket that isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and in IT it's often the complexity of spreading out your technology stack that creates the problematic weak points we stress about.

Okta has also been demonstrating that they may not be any better suited to be a security tool provider than Microsoft, and that's really saying something this year in particular.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
If I'm a cloud engineer, and if I'm OK with the work I'm doing, is it a bad thing if I don't want to be a cloud architect?

I don't know if I'm setting myself up to be 50 and unemployable because I didn't want to move up vertically, but honestly the more I look at what architects do, the less I see it as "sweet, an opportunity to not have to code as much" and more of "I don't mind if I have to talk to the occasional end-user or non-tech colleague but I don't want to be responsible for a sale not happening because I talk fast and very New Jersey"

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’m an architect sometimes and I mostly sit around and think and then tell people my thoughts and get high fived. It’s pretty cool ngl and more money

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't see how anybody half competent is worried about being unemployed when it's 50/50 if anybody I interact with in this industry has a clue about what they are doing. However I guess the AI chatbot thing as customer service agents has shown us that they can be awful as long as they aren't providing illegally bad support, and if every competitor has done the same thing then it's not a competitive disadvantage to sack even your offshore teams and force people down the path of 4-5 questions and leave them hosed if they have a different problem.

I have a fairly pessimistic outlook on deskilling across the board and wouldn't be surprised if being able to put a sentence together and read and interpret an instruction manual in 20 years time puts you in the top 50% of candidates for any job.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

i am a moron posted:

I’m an architect sometimes and I mostly sit around and think and then tell people my thoughts and get high fived. It’s pretty cool ngl and more money

Honestly, as a :airquote: Cloud Engineer :airquote: the only real thing I ever needed from architects was a little help with direction (there are so many priorities, and everyone wants it now) and emotional support when terraform deployments fail.

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't see how anybody half competent is worried about being unemployed when it's 50/50 if anybody I interact with in this industry has a clue about what they are doing.

I'm confused how any of them get hired? I guess I need to flat up lie through the interview process :smith:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I'm confused how any of them get hired? I guess I need to flat up lie through the interview process :smith:

It's a combination of people hiring for positions they know nothing about so a bullshit artist with no skills will get hired over someone reasonably competent but may not be able to show confidence to the interviewer. Then that person gets by doing JUUUUUST enough that they'll perpetually have a job so long as they keep their head down or headcounts don't need to go down. We had someone my former manager hired specifically on the basis of their supposed knowledge of standing up on premises AD, and while I wouldn't say the dude was entirely incompetent dude got eventually found out when he hit a deadline and needed a ton of help to basically do the remaining 90% of what he'd started. He didn't get cut, because we still had a bunch of jobs which we could reasonably give him that needed doing and my boss didn't trust that if he canned the guy he could continue to have the budget to hire an actual no poo poo AD dude.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We canned someone a couple of weeks ago who claimed a lot of Intune experience and then said you couldn't use it to deploy Wi-Fi profiles so they'd have to touch 60 laptops

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

We canned someone a couple of weeks ago who claimed a lot of Intune experience and then said you couldn't use it to deploy Wi-Fi profiles so they'd have to touch 60 laptops

It's like the first hit on google. drat.

https://www.prajwaldesai.com/create-a-wi-fi-profile-in-intune/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah we absolutely tried because simply having the headcount would have been useful even if they were only half competent, dropping links to documentation and blog posts in the chat etc. They said they tried all that but it wouldn't work, audit logs showed no changes had been made at all.

I can cover for a lot if people are going through stuff or whatever but don't lie to me because I am not prepared to tell the guys above me that the audit logs shouldn't be believed.