Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

I’m not going to click that link but lol and also lmao and a further rofl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Now that I think of it an Alan Wake vs. Robocop crossover would own

“Murphy scanned the Main Street. But he didn’t scan with eyes. He didn’t have eyes. Robots did not have eyes. He had a scanner. He was a robot. No longer a human. But he was still a cop. A policeman. Could a robot be a policeman? There was only one way to find out. Even in his metal body he swore to uphold the law. That’s what police did, what he continued to do. Even now, as a robot. Murphy scanned the street with his scanner, peering through his robot eyes, looking for lawbreakers.”

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 31, 2023

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
wtf is an Alan Wake? is this convo about the pubg universe horror thing

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

SkeletonHero posted:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SkeletonHero posted:

quote:

Bloober Team is gunning for the very top of the horror game developer pantheon, having shipped six consecutive spookfests in under a decade

:shuckyes:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basic Chunnel posted:

I hate to break it to you but AVP, beyond the one FPS with truly random Alien spawning points, all of it is really bad. Even before they threw in the Terminator or Robocop

I will cut you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Alan Wake always lended itself to this since even in the first game his famous book series is basically just Max Payne (Alex Casey)

E: also I want to say, I'm also someone increasingly sceptical of how every movie is a shared universe and think Scorsese is entirely right about Marvel movies

That SAID, despite the shared elements, Alan Wake 2 absolutely feels like an auteurist work of art and less of a corporate product than 99% of video games

given remedy's entire body of work it's likely that we didn't see this in max payne because they didn't have a body of work to draw from back then. everything lake's made has been in a conversation with his previous games. even max payne 2 was half-commentary on the nature of its prequel

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Ahh yes, just like the classic idiom after all, “quantity over quality”

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

King of Bleh posted:

Ahh yes, just like the classic idiom after all, “quantity over quality”

My posting philosophy

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just curious, are you running them on an SSD? Starfield was one of the first games I've had on PC that was just unplayably laggy on a regular hard drive, but went perfectly fine after I moved it onto an SSD. Haven't put enough time into AW2 to really judge how it performs.
That was the issue. I mean, I've heard that SSD is an improvement, but I didn't expect games to just fly when moved to it.

Gotten through first chapter of AW2 and some of the second and wow. Yeah, The Return was a MASSIVE inspiration on this game, and that's great.
After almost a year of games for teens and games that try to be for adults but end up juvenile it's nice to play something that actually feels adult.
Fun and incredibly funny in a very Lynch way, and it even had the song at the end of the chapter like The Return did with its musical numbers.

The only thing I don't like are jumpscares. They legit feel like something out of 2006 flash game since it's just an image that takes up the entire screen and screams at you. They kinda fit when the world's already abstract, like during profiling, but there are a few that just happen for no reason.

Haven't played AW1 so I wonder how lost I'll be. Also, Alan Wake is kind of a poo poo writer. All his manuscripts are comprised of like 3-word sentences.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
AW2 is a egs exclusive right? No chance coming to steam anytime soon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's literally published by Epic so it's never coming to Steam

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I hate to break it to you but AVP, beyond the one FPS with truly random Alien spawning points, all of it is really bad. Even before they threw in the Terminator or Robocop

The Capcom arcade beat 'em up is really, really good.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They're right, the vast majority of AVP stuff is awful. AVP 1 and 2 and the arcade beat 'em up are good, but it's also no accident that the only good AVP stuff is videogames and the movies have consistently sucked.

And the stuff that's good in AVP2 has nothing to do with the Predator, who is just kind of there, and more to do with 'play the person showing up after the disaster, then go play the One Thing That Went Wrong and caused it all as the Alien', which is a fun way to do the multiple campaign thing.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

fwiw, Aliens: Fireteam Elite is also a great aliens shooter but runs into the issue of being thin on content if you only do one playthrough of the campaign. Which is a shame, because it nails the aesthetic and tone of the Aliens movie while also being fun to play.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A Cool Video Game Too posted:

fwiw, Aliens: Fireteam Elite is also a great aliens shooter but runs into the issue of being thin on content if you only do one playthrough of the campaign. Which is a shame, because it nails the aesthetic and tone of the Aliens movie while also being fun to play.

Yeah it's a game where you get to the end of a level and it goes "cool, want to play it again?" just for you to ask "why".

It is the worst offender for dumb aliens though, while it's true that the movie aliens took a serious hit in the brain department between 1 and 2 that still doesn't excuse them running at soldiers like they are zerglings on attack move. Aliens: Dark Descent was a lot better about that just because the aliens were so much more lethal and hard to deal with.

Night10194 posted:

They're right, the vast majority of AVP stuff is awful. AVP 1 and 2 and the arcade beat 'em up are good, but it's also no accident that the only good AVP stuff is videogames and the movies have consistently sucked.

And the stuff that's good in AVP2 has nothing to do with the Predator, who is just kind of there, and more to do with 'play the person showing up after the disaster, then go play the One Thing That Went Wrong and caused it all as the Alien', which is a fun way to do the multiple campaign thing.

Tbh a lot of that is the P in AvP. Even the Predator solo game that came out recently pretty middling because the predator was somewhat weak, meaning that the humans could use the advanced tactic of shooting him with a gun that the soldiers in the movie never hit on.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah it's a game where you get to the end of a level and it goes "cool, want to play it again?" just for you to ask "why".

It is the worst offender for dumb aliens though, while it's true that the movie aliens took a serious hit in the brain department between 1 and 2 that still doesn't excuse them running at soldiers like they are zerglings on attack move. Aliens: Dark Descent was a lot better about that just because the aliens were so much more lethal and hard to deal with.

One of the things I like in Fireteam is it going 'These things are such a problem because the corps don't let people in colonies have firearms or militia or whatever because then they'd use them on Burke.'

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

It's literally published by Epic so it's never coming to Steam

sweeney :arghfist:

A Cool Video Game Too posted:

dark descent also nails this on a RTS-ish game, it rules and could also use more content

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

dark descent also nails this on a RTS-ish game, it rules and could also use more content

Imo it is the best length as it is, as it doesn't really overstay its welcome. As time goes on the pace of play slows down a *lot* and continually cranking that up would go from fun to frustrating.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Oh yeah did that game get the fixes it sounded like it needed/deserved? From what I could discern it had some pretty nasty issues undercutting an otherwise solid game, was planning on getting it in the xmas sale cause this year has just been jam packed with games.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo it is the best length as it is, as it doesn't really overstay its welcome. As time goes on the pace of play slows down a *lot* and continually cranking that up would go from fun to frustrating.

maybe, but I felt that the narrative setpieces were too constraining, while necessary to break the pace, and esp the final boss level was too scripted and uninteresting
I'd have liked maybe one more area, or one more alien type

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

CuddleCryptid posted:

For me the connection is bizarre because Alan Wake made a point of repeatedly pushing back on explaining the mystery entirely. There's a quote from the first game that pops up all over the environmental graffiti in the second:

Then they take it and make a whole big connection to a game that is entirely about the complete opposite of that. It's a strange thing to do even if it doesn't have an actual impact on the story because it turns the monster from a force of nature into something that could put in a box.

Does it fundamentally change the story? No, but it's weird.

I don’t think Control really takes away from that in any way. Hell, even in Alan Wake 1 the game explains exactly what’s going on. Magic lake with hosed up darkness poo poo. You can use its power with art to re-write reality, but it’ll gently caress you up and use that art to manifest in our world. Bam, simple. The characters can even fight back against it, a dude survives the events of the game by wrapping himself in Christmas tree lights.

Control also shows that the bureau is not in control, like at all. Half the facility is overrun with extradimensional horrors even before the Hiss shows up.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

The gameplay loop is solid enough and the Hard difficulty is a significant enough step up that the answer to "why" is because it's fun! The fun just runs out once you try to push higher than Hard because the builds required and optimizations needed are a bit obtuse, and it requires a significant amount of teamwork and discipline.

But even on Hard the runners all go from "haha that's just a scratch" to "oh god kill them before they can hit us" levels of dangerous, and you don't get any helpful highlights when ADS anymore. I get it if them running at you in droves throws you off though, but it isn't like there isn't precedent in the movies.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CharlestonJew posted:

Control also shows that the bureau is not in control, like at all. Half the facility is overrun with extradimensional horrors even before the Hiss shows up.

The entire bureau also seems subordinate to some quasi-divine extradimensional intelligence with unclear motives, which is probably bad. Though I personally think the board entity is chill (and the first DLC is non-canon).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I find the difference in approach between AW and Control really funny because they're coming at it from radically different perspectives. Like of course Alan doesn't get it, he's a mediocre thriller author. The Bureau think they get it a lot more than they actually do get it, but it's their job to try and to monitor the 100 Alan Wake situations going on around the world at any given time. Fun seeing different angles on the same issues.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

This doesn't really count as a 'game' but...

https://twitter.com/VoidBurger/status/1719372753881440411?s=20

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1719360296249418210?s=20

:wtc:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Getting the In Water ending because I didn't keep my Hope Meter topped up

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I just hope the Silent Hill Livestream thing is a trainwreck in a really funny way and not a cancelled immediately way.

I guess they're not mutually exclusive.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I really want to congratulate whoever convinced for the inclusion of cosmetic prizes for a cyoa game

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i rather just give cash to a silent hill nurse vtuber

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ludonarrative Dissonance: The Game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Here. Comes. Cults!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Feels Villeneuve Sent A Blast

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Here. Comes. Cults!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This is so stupid that I'd almost love it if it didn't have MTX and was just fully free. It'd still be terrible but at least amusing.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

This is so loving...corporate. Like it was never supposed to leave an executive office. This is parody. (I too hope it isn't cancelled and is a cool story but lol)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Viewers will have the opportunity to donate IAP currency to replay character deaths on the Blam Cam.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

REDEMPTION

SUFFERING

DAMNATION

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The entire bureau also seems subordinate to some quasi-divine extradimensional intelligence with unclear motives, which is probably bad. Though I personally think the board entity is chill (and the first DLC is non-canon).

See i liked that the FBC predated the discovery of the Oldest House and The Board, because of course the US government would have spotted weird poo poo happening and tried to do something about it even before an infinitely large brutalist building showed up in New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

That Silent Hill TV Show looks awful. I hope F is good but really at this point I'd prefer Konami to go back to not making games at all.