Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Flyndre posted:

I've finally got around to set up Radarr, Sonarr, Prowlarr, Jellyfin and Jellyseerr on my Synology NAS, and it seems to work well.

One question: What is the workflow supposed to be like, when I add an older TV-show to Sonarr where I also want to download older seasons? For some of the shows it only finds the newest episodes. As far as I've understood, this is intended behaviour since it's based on RSS-feeds from the index providers. Do I then need to grab older episodes manually (which I've seen that I can do in the GUI), or is there a cleverer solution?

For older shows/seasons it's usually a game of "see what it can find on its own and then manually hunt down any others." Sometimes this can be done via the manual search in Sonarr but there are still times I have to do it the old fashioned way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
If you feel like adding another app to the stack, Overseerr can integrate with Sonarr/Radarr and provide a better UX for searching and queuing up what you want.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

you can hit the magnifying glass icon next to any season you've set to monitor and it'll search for each of those episodes automatically. You can also hit the magnifying glass at the top of series to search for any and all episodes/seasons you've set to monitor and it'll do it for everything.

What it doesn't find you'll have to probably manually search up though.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Thanks, looks like I have a manual job to do. Does Overseerr add any functionality that Jellyseerr doesn't have?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Flyndre posted:

Thanks, looks like I have a manual job to do. Does Overseerr add any functionality that Jellyseerr doesn't have?

They're the same thing. You don't need it. Just use Jellyseer as your front end to Sonarr/Radarr.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Flyndre posted:

I've finally got around to set up Radarr, Sonarr, Prowlarr, Jellyfin and Jellyseerr on my Synology NAS, and it seems to work well.

One question: What is the workflow supposed to be like, when I add an older TV-show to Sonarr where I also want to download older seasons? For some of the shows it only finds the newest episodes. As far as I've understood, this is intended behaviour since it's based on RSS-feeds from the index providers. Do I then need to grab older episodes manually (which I've seen that I can do in the GUI), or is there a cleverer solution?

I'd just double check that the emblem that shows what's being monitored has the previous seasons being monitored. Then as long as you have a usenet index it should find it. You can also tell it at time you add the show if it should look for previous seasons or not so make sure that's on. I'd stop by the Usenet thread for more questions though.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Flyndre posted:

Sorry, glossed over Jellyseer.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

spincube posted:

Any suggestions for an Android RSS reader that'll sync up with a selfhosted FreshRSS instance?

I can sort of get by with the mobile web interface, but a dedicated app would be ideal.

I use FocusReader which is $7/year, it's fine. I did have one called ReadYou from fdroid that worked at some point but doesn't today.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Is there a hands off nextcloud server yet? The Hansson IT guys seem to be purposefully breaking stuff on major releases so you have to use their IT services.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

SEKCobra posted:

Is there a hands off nextcloud server yet? The Hansson IT guys seem to be purposefully breaking stuff on major releases so you have to use their IT services.

Hetzner?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

I recently had to upgrade the base OS (well, replace) and reinstall nextcloud because of.....I don't recall...php? Whatever dependence wasn't being satisfied to continue upgrading. I moved the old install which was three major releases behind and went through the upgrade processes like 4 times? I had the same problem I always have: timeout of the webgui during backup. You can wait that out and continue the process and it completed fine every time.

What kinds of stuff is breaking for you or others?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Motronic posted:

I recently had to upgrade the base OS (well, replace) and reinstall nextcloud because of.....I don't recall...php? Whatever dependence wasn't being satisfied to continue upgrading. I moved the old install which was three major releases behind and went through the upgrade processes like 4 times? I had the same problem I always have: timeout of the webgui during backup. You can wait that out and continue the process and it completed fine every time.

What kinds of stuff is breaking for you or others?

Maybe it's a poor expectation of mine, but I don't think I've ever had a docker pull nextcloud && docker restart nextcloud actually work. To me table stakes for a container is that it handles the janitor work in the background.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Maybe it's a poor expectation of mine, but I don't think I've ever had a docker pull nextcloud && docker restart nextcloud actually work. To me table stakes for a container is that it handles the janitor work in the background.

So you're using a containerized version. I am not.

Sounds like the release quality of their containers is the problem.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

Feeder should do.

gariig posted:

I use FocusReader which is $7/year, it's fine. I did have one called ReadYou from fdroid that worked at some point but doesn't today.

Thanks, both of these seem to do the trick. I've flipped a coin and gone with FocusReader for now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hughlander posted:

The linuxserver image of nextcloud has always worked for me.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Hughlander posted:

You have to specify a major version as nextcloud only supports major version upgrades. So nextcloud:26-apache and you can just pull and restart to get the latest point release. Pull 27-apache when you're ready to pull the next major version and so on.

Its definitely the worst OSS community out there though as far as quality and usability and reliability, not sure why. PHP is rear end maybe? Never used it, no desire to either, maybe thats true for lots of other devs who might otherwise be willing to contribute and fix stuff.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

The linuxserver image of nextcloud has always worked for me.

Same here, haven't had any breaking problems with it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hughlander posted:

My opinionated take is that the horrid architecture of the PHP language itself makes it difficult to come up with a container that works the way everybody expects a container to work.

Usually containerized PHP software works like:

1. cd into the bind-mounted persistent directory provided by the administrator
2. copy all the source code from the container image into that directory, blowing away any copies that this container made previously
3. run apache with a configuration file pointing at the source code in the bind-mounted directory

The linuxserver people do seem to have a pretty good handle on making this mess something you don't need to worry about.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

You have to specify a major version as nextcloud only supports major version upgrades. So nextcloud:26-apache and you can just pull and restart to get the latest point release. Pull 27-apache when you're ready to pull the next major version and so on.

Its definitely the worst OSS community out there though as far as quality and usability and reliability, not sure why. PHP is rear end maybe? Never used it, no desire to either, maybe thats true for lots of other devs who might otherwise be willing to contribute and fix stuff.

Yah I checked my notes I was just running with:
image: lscr.io/linuxserver/nextcloud

Sloppy on my part.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

One time I submitted an issue to their github repository, suggesting a rough patch to fix a bug related to authentication, and asking if this was an acceptable solution approach that I could refine and turn into a merge request. Then a salesperson replied *in the github ticket* suggesting that my use case sounded like something where I'd benefit from purchasing an enterprise license!

That kind of soured me on Owncloud.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

After pushing people to migrate from pfSense CE to pfSense+ a couple of weeks ago saying it is free, they have abruptly stopped supporting pfSense+ Home+lab (the free pfSense+) now will be charging people hundreds of dollars a year.

https://www.netgate.com/blog/beta-of-pfsense-plus-software-version-23.09
https://www.netgate.com/blog/addressing-changes-to-pfsense-plus-homelab

Glad I never went down this rabbit hole. Feels very Unity like from them.

I'd probably recommend OPNsense going forward. I don't really trust pfSense to keep maintaining their CE version.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Whew glad I went with OPNsense when I was building my own router a while back.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Netgate has been doing sketchy poo poo for a while, so this isn't much of a shock. I read up on the beef between pfSense and OPNsense a few years back when I was moving my poo poo from EdgeOS/Vyatta to an x86 mini PC and that situation alone convinced me to go with OPNsense and never look back. OPNsense rocks and the community plugins are pretty good, too.

I'm struggling to think of a single company that's turned an open-source project into a commercial product and not ended up loving over their users at some point.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cenodoxus posted:

I'm struggling to think of a single company that's turned an open-source project into a commercial product and not ended up loving over their users at some point.

Does sqlite count?

quote:

A perpetual source code license for the SQLite Encryption Extension (SEE) costs US $2000.00. This is a one-time fee that enables you to ship as many copies of the code as you want as long as each copy is compiled and statically linked with your application

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Nitrousoxide posted:

After pushing people to migrate from pfSense CE to pfSense+ a couple of weeks ago saying it is free, they have abruptly stopped supporting pfSense+ Home+lab (the free pfSense+) now will be charging people hundreds of dollars a year.

https://www.netgate.com/blog/beta-of-pfsense-plus-software-version-23.09
https://www.netgate.com/blog/addressing-changes-to-pfsense-plus-homelab

Glad I never went down this rabbit hole. Feels very Unity like from them.

I'd probably recommend OPNsense going forward. I don't really trust pfSense to keep maintaining their CE version.

Yeah, anyone should have seen that when v23 came out without the CE version (v2.7) and telling everyone to grab the free* homelab version in the meantime this was going to happen.

* - the signup page literally said "We're not charging right now, but will charge in the future!"

It reeks of venture capital attempting to force every little bit of money from places they shouldn't.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

mawarannahr posted:

Does sqlite count?

Maybe the way to qualify it would be, any company that sells enterprise licenses for an open source project (versus just selling support hours)

Still thrilled to be wrong, SQLite is cool and good.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Ive been using pfsense for like 8 years and its been great, I don't see this changing :confused:

I don't know why anybody is surprised or gives a poo poo about this, why would I pay a $130 a year for a loving SLA on my home router?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Ok, finally read the Negate posting about why they did it. Totally thought all the screaming was people getting charged now for pfsense+ home edition. My bad.

They should've expected all of that to happen when they delayed the CE v2.7 update as long as they did. All people wanted was the new intel igc 2.5g drivers in reality - so much so that those aliexpress vendors (of the n5105 all in one units) backported the drivers to 2.6 and shipped their version of pfsense. The amount of fuckups Netgate has done recently (wireguard, bad partitioning, etc) is pretty astounding.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I wish government funded open source would finally take off instead of everyone migrating from bad Microsoft on premise to even worse Microsoft cloud products until they realize that pricing has become unsustainable and try to jump ship only to realize that there is no exit strategy, at which point it will be a back and forth for big players threatening exits until MS offers enough discounts and that poo poo keeps going for about a decade.

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG
It’s almost as if Microsoft is allowed to exist as it does, and do what it does, because it makes the US government happy and assuming the US Government will do anything open source is beyond “wishful thinking” and into “insanity.”

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I didn't say US government funded, did I? The US is not the only place in the world.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

The US is not the only place in the world.

citation needed

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hockenheim posted:

It’s almost as if Microsoft is allowed to exist as it does, and do what it does, because it makes the US government happy and assuming the US Government will do anything open source is beyond “wishful thinking” and into “insanity.”

they do do open source although Microsoft does have a part
https://github.com/NationalSecurityAgency

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I figured AT&T was bankrolling Netgate but I guess that's drying up

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I recently redid our entire home network with a new NAS (TrueNAS Scale), etc. My wife asked about setting up a solution for backing photos from both an iPhone and Pixel, so we don't have to rely on iCloud or Google Photos. What's a recommended setup? I've seen PhotoPrism but can't seem to find any official apps for Android, haven't looked at iOS.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

calandryll posted:

I recently redid our entire home network with a new NAS (TrueNAS Scale), etc. My wife asked about setting up a solution for backing photos from both an iPhone and Pixel, so we don't have to rely on iCloud or Google Photos. What's a recommended setup? I've seen PhotoPrism but can't seem to find any official apps for Android, haven't looked at iOS.

I wish there were a better answer, but for now it's probably NextCloud.

If you only want backup, I recommend WebDAV plus the PhotoSync app. It takes more nerd poo poo to set up on the phone, but then you can just forget about it.

E: I personally can't stomach NextCloud, FWIW. I roll my own WebDAV based solution, which is ugly, but standards-based. I appreciate knowing that 20 years from now I won't have some bonkers deprecated database to contend with, it's just the straight up file system.

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 31, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

calandryll posted:

I use Nextcloud. I've set it to automatically backup my camera-taken photos as soon as it's on wifi on my android phone. Don't know if that can be done on iPhone.

Edit: for sharing your photos with other people afterward I recommend the "Memories" app in Nextcloud rather than the built-in photos app there though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Edit: for sharing your photos with other people afterward I recommend the "Memories" app in Nextcloud rather than the built-in photos app there though.

The new Memories android app "just works" too for photos that are in Nextcloud but not on your phone. Just like google photos did/does.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Motronic posted:

The new Memories android app "just works" too for photos that are in Nextcloud but not on your phone. Just like google photos did/does.

I just downloaded that, and it uses the Nextcloud app to sync your photos. It doesn't do it itself. It's pretty much indistinguishable from a PWA of your Memories app in Nextcloud, so I'd personally just recommend using that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

calandryll posted:

Immich