Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Nazzadan posted:

https://warhammer.com/
New shop is up, I'm in queue just to check it out but apparently FW has been rolled into the main site now.

That makes a surprising amount of business sense for Games Workshop, alleged for-profit corporation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Navigating the factions seems a bit more annoying, but once you are on your faction that page is laid out much better. But when you select a unit and go to it's page it looks like it's formatted for mobile and they got rid of the recommended paints for some reason?

This seems pretty rear end, just rolling FW into the old site would have been better. I tried clicking on another unit to see if it had dead images/recommended paints and it bombed out

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 31, 2023

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Hate the new site

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Old site looked like it was made by professionals ten years ago, new site looks like it was made by interns yesterday

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Super Waffle posted:

Hate the new site

evergreen tweet

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The website on mobile is so irritating

Having to constantly work out of the sandwich menu is annoying

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Geisladisk posted:

Old site looked like it was made by professionals ten years ago, new site looks like it was made by interns yesterday

Yeah I’m on mobile and it was a bit frustrating. Might just not be used to it but being intuitive and straight forward should have been their first goal

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Spiffster posted:

... being intuitive and straight forward should have been their first goal

You've... played the game, right?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Can't wait to be horribly disappointed once they've dropped the queues. :v:

And I can't wait for them to suddenly become a permanent fixture for accessing the store.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And the moment I post that, the queues disappear. And holy hell this thing is awful. Like this is peak "designed by executive committee in how to make a flashy site" and not bothering to consult a proper web designer on how to make a site accessible and easy to read.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The new site is so bad. Hahahahaha.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Echoing others. I tend to idly browse minis shops while working and the new website design is awful.

The only positive I can see so far is the preview images are higher resolution, but they also managed to gently caress up the image upload and the 360 previews as well? Each 360 preview seems to be a "missing image servo" instead and loading the "missing image servo" seems to gently caress up loading other images after that.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I'm reading the Rogue Trader rulebook now, and some of these rules read like a parody. E.g. the one where you can split a unit, but only if you write down orders for the part that does not get the officer, and those orders then have to be followed. Or how entering a building essentially starts up a new game on a separate board. Or how the game strongly recommends using a GM to adjudicate the many ambiguous rules.

Still makes me want to play it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That sounds to me like they were trying to "simulate" a situation like it's real life. That's the sense I got when thinking back to 3rd edition rules and realizing that 40K was supposed to be a "war game" and not a "game". It might be more obvious with Warhammer where you have to deal with ranks and files and regiments.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yeah the new site is something else. I mean, I don't immediately hate it like you guys do, but I had to check if my browser zoom was indeed at 100% before I noticed that everything looks like it's been formatted for mobile. Also it looks like most of the 360 degree views for models are gone or at least for most of the ranges I checked. I suppose they haven't been added yet and will later? It's probably going to take a couple of days for them to fully work everything out I guess.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
All the forgeworld models are listed as "Expert" lol

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
This is just baffling, frankly

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Feels pretty good to be able to call myself an expert in something because I can clean a base of resin Ripper Swarms with soap and water before I primer them.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Nazzadan posted:

New shop is up, I'm in queue just to check it out but apparently FW has been rolled into the main site now.

It's so loving bad. Just unpleasant to browse, navigation is a nightmare. Who saw this design and went "yes, that's the one we want"?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

… touché

In my defense last edition I played was 5th. Just came back to the game

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

WE HAVE TO GO BACK:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Going back to more basic website designs would be nice, yeah. Less whizzbang and more ease of navigation.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yeah, but nothing starts off perfect.

Give em some time. They'll get tired of reading everyone's remarks on Twitter and work it out.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Too far back, too far!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What do you mean too far? That looks perfect.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

smug jeebus posted:

Too far back, too far!

Lmao I think this was the first board I ever read

I was too scared to post bc everyone seemed so cool and mature

Now I’m mature, stupid, and very lame and just post all the drat time

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Closing their official forums was one of the smartest things GW ever did.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Do Not Feed the Trolls!!

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Now I’m mature, stupid, and very lame and just post all the drat time

:justpost:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Safety Factor posted:

They should outsource their forums to us.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I was kinda surprised to learn how big and busy some of the old Warhammer forums like Dakka and Bolter and Chainsword still are.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Old wargame still keeps the old ways alive, as it should be

I still can't believe the standard BBS nowadays is reddit, impossible to keep a chronological discussion gong

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kitchner posted:

They should outsource their forums to us.

And then we'll get outmaneuvered by Goonhammer somehow.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

smug jeebus posted:

This is just baffling, frankly

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
website bad, so what

the difference between the two greens will not show up well on the actual table

Athas posted:

That Necron looks cool, but it's too much of a diorama for me. I prefer models that are a bit more static, as I think the tabletop looks a bit silly when everyone looks like a freeze frame.

Or maybe I'm just salty that I'll never have the painting skill to make that effect look good.

those necron digital swirlies look just fine based in a color and whacked with a contrasting/dark wash, or based with light grey and whacked with whatever contrast paint you like. abstract magical energy like that is actually very freeing, because there's no "right" way for it to look. as long as it doesn't look flat, almost anything can be good

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Not really clear to me what problems the new website is solving. The old one had issues but I don’t think they needed this kind of presentational update and I just don’t see offhand what it is doing better really.

It’s also weird that the main picture is a dude playing Warhammer instead of minis? Like…the minis are the draw, idgi.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

New site looks a lot better on my phone than on my computer I gotta say.

Captain Magic posted:

It’s also weird that the main picture is a dude playing Warhammer instead of minis? Like…the minis are the draw, idgi.

That's dude is the actual James Workshop.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

New site looks a lot better on my phone than on my computer I gotta say.

strongly disagree. navigating categories with dozens of entries with one and a half entries visible at a time is terrible

look at this nonsense

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

I cannot believe they finally put forgeworld kits on the main site. This is totally worth the downgrade in website design, and even then I don't think it is that bad, but it does feel like a mildly worse version.