Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My daughter is a rainbow unicorn. I dropped her off in the am wearing the costume but she is already not wearing it anymore in the photo they sent just now lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My son is a dump truck. When I dropped him off this morning he was the only kid wearing a costume!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
We also have a "ghost kitty", I did not expect that to be such a popular costume. I was at the dentist last week and the hygienist asked what our kid was dressing up as, then said "that's so funny, there was another mom in here saying the exact same thing! Is it a popular character?" But it turns out she was actually just thinking of my wife's appointment a few days earlier.

My kid was very precise about the specifications and I'm very proud of my wife for executing it perfectly: purple ears, pink whiskers, no shoulders. Too bad she only wants to wear it for five minutes at a time, but at least she is happy with how it looks.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
My daughter is . . . positive for COVID. Got back from the ER at 2:30 am this morning when her cough became croup-like and wouldn't stop.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It is really funny that ghost cat is so popular.

My son just turned three so it was the usual cute convo "what do you want to be?" "a ghost!" "you wanna be a ghost for Halloween?" "No a kitty!" "You could be both, a ghost cat!" "YEAAAHHH!!! OOooOoOo!!"

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My kid was Daniel Tiger for Halloween but when people asked him what he was going to be he still said pumpkin

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My daughter is going to be a witch and my son is going to be a fire truck. Got lucky and found both costumes on the city’s free stuff Facebook page.

It was a highly emotional morning for my daughter since she had to pick a different costume for daycare. The witch one is thick and would be too hot to wear inside all day. Then as we were leaving she saw our pumpkins were missing and started bawling. We had carved them a little too early this year and after a few frosts and thaws they were rotting, so I thought I had done a good job a prepping her that they weren’t going to make it until Halloween. They actually got tossed four days ago but it only hit her today I guess.

We got snow last night so I’m hoping it’s not going to be another emotional battle to get her to wear a coat.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
lmao there was a kid dressed up as a Costco free sample person at the Halloween parade

Totally my jam

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My kid is Mario, which is boring as poo poo

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
My kid decided not to wear her kitty ghost costume to school today because she is too enamored with a poster mailing tube she found, so she's going as "person with a really long mouth".

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My son is a fire truck and my daughter is a unicorn witch.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
My daughter was a bumblebee and my wife and I were beekeepers. There were many compliments.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cookie costume was completely rejected in favor of last year's kangaroo costume.

Which to be fair is loving adorable, but still...

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

We're done trick or treating. Only a couple meltdowns.

My son was Mario last year, but he's apparently entered his villain era so he was Bowser this year.

My youngest daughter was a mermaid. My oldest was Athena

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Mommy and Daddy had the Halloween meltdowns this year.

She's not even two weeks postpartum from a C-section and I only had 3 hours of sleep and still had tonight's baby night shift ahead of me. So we walked around for 5 minutes trick or treating our neighbors then left our older with the grandparents while we went home. We love trick or treating so it was unreasonably upsetting to miss out on it.

I took a nap and was woken up by my son bawling his eyes out because some punk stole our candy bowl off the porch. It's some cheap dollar store crap but he was playing with it all Halloween in his tent and was really attached to it, so I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

It's on Alibaba with a minimum order of 3000 bowls so if anyone wants to go halfsies lmk

e: daddy was Bowser and Mommy was princess peach to kiddo's Mario. Mommy got overstimulated from the wig so Daddy very quickly turned into Bowser with a peach wig. I'm happy to report that everyone universally agrees that I looked much better with the wig. I loving love Halloween and I'm sad I missed out.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 1, 2023

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Trick or treating kind of sucked lol. My son refused to wear a costume (he was presented several options) and decided that he was scared of all of the witches and ghost decorations that had delighted him before. We walked around the block and called it a night. Oh well, an attempt was made.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
There's no trick or treating where I live, but my daughter's English language daycare did have a special trick or treat event earlier this month that cost $50 to attend. I was looking forward to teaching her about halloween and getting her a costume, but then hand foot and mouth hit the daycare and enough kids got sick that they cancelled the event. We somehow managed to dodge it, at least.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Carotid posted:

Our child has decided to be a ghost witch cat pumpkin princess.

One of my favorite Dr Octagon B-sides.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter went from literally singing a song about how much fun she was having trick-or-treating to insisting on going home and not letting us go to a single extra house on the way back. Like, thirty second margin. It is impossible to ever know what's next.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
A tantrum. A tantrum is always what's next.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Well first trick or treating went pretty well. He wanted to dress as a cheetah, and just had his birthday, so we got him a cheetah onesie. (Technically a leopard but I gave it cheetah eyes and he doesn't consistently know the difference, yet.)

The only touch and go moment was when someone just up the street decided to let off a bunch of fireworks right on the sidewalk. No tears, but he was clapping his hands over his ears while cowering behind us.

Lots of compliments too. The best was when he got to hand out some candy at our door to some tweens. "Omigod he's so cute! Omigod he gave me a lollipop!"

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
My 4.5 year old boy wanted to be Elsa this year. We were simultaneously proud that he doesn’t ascribe to rigid gender stereotypes and apprehensive about how his friends would react.

We didn’t need to worry. He’s worn the dress to Halloween events at a theme park, preschool, dance class, and trick or treating with (to my knowledge) no negative remarks. We even got some compliments from strangers on what a cute boy he is in the dress. And he absolutely loves twirling the dress around.

It’s probably the starkest example I’ve seen of kids these days being raised in a different environment from when I was a kid. I’m so happy that he’s able to feel comfortable in his own skin.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah we got like six houses in and ours refused to leave the stroller after that

Really wish we'd brought a flashlight. Half our costumes were mainly black

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Our 13 month old son decided to take what we're going to call his first steps tonight because he made it to a third step before deciding to sit down. He was a cowboy for the photos this year (easiest to assemble from existing clothing), but he went to bed by 7ish while I handed treats out at the door for a few hours. Grandma didn't let him have any candy because it was too close to bedtime.

It's still better than last year's Halloween for him, when we placed him inside a pumpkin for photos...and he's screaming his head off in all of the photos.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Only a few days until these bullshit 5:15 wakeups become 4:15 wakeups, oh joy

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

When we were out trick or treating I saw a child dressed as mid 80s Michael Jackson, diamond glove and all.

We went to my mom's neighborhood at her insistence, where we've gone the previous two years as well and had a decent time and weirdly no one answered their doors last night. It was really disappointing so we gave up. This is probably the last year where we could get away with that too, I imagine next time it might end in my kid being devastated instead of happy enough to go in and eat more Mac and cheese then go home, so I told them we're gonna stay closer to home next year instead. I was really annoyed by the whole thing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The one thing that really kills the spirit for me is huge groups of kids with their parents screaming directions at them from a van with the door open, cruising along the curb.

If you're not walking with your kid, just wait at the end of the block for them to be done. Don't be lolling out of a minivan shouting GO TO THAT HOUSE WITH THE PUNKINS NO THE LIT UP PUNKINS I BET THEY GOT CANDY GET ME A SNICKERS

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My (almost) 3 year old had a great Halloween, with the expected crying at bedtime due to overstimulation and overtiredness. He got over it pretty quick. He dressed up as Spidey and I’m not convinced he could see because his mask kept slipping down. When strangers started referring to him as Spider-Man he got very excited. He was singing the song and saying hi to the half dozen or so other Spideys we saw.

We met up with two of his daycare buddies and the three of them were very cute together. All three dads realized the kids wouldn’t make it very far, so we brought wagons to tote them around in. They were holding hands, running around, and yelling at each other to wait up.

He got briefly confused when we stopped trick or treating and switched to handing out candy. “Why are they taking OUR candy?” But quickly learned the script and started telling people “we have this candy, and this candy, and Pokémon cards”. The Halloween Pokémon card boosters were a hit with the neighborhood kids.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A sugar spike and crash is pretty insane from an outside perspective. Was I doing that poo poo as a kid? Just running until I fell asleep? I was moderating my kid's sugar intake fairly hard and my parents hardly did, I must have been more insulin than blood.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

A sugar spike and crash is pretty insane from an outside perspective. Was I doing that poo poo as a kid? Just running until I fell asleep? I was moderating my kid's sugar intake fairly hard and my parents hardly did, I must have been more insulin than blood.

Sugar highs aren't really a thing, your kid was just super excited about all the fun.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Some styles exist, like watermelon sugar high.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Academician Nomad posted:

Sugar highs aren't really a thing, your kid was just super excited about all the fun.

I don’t know about that. My experiment is perfectly replicating each time my kid visits her overindulging aunt.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
Oh wow I've become a grumpy old fart. Last night I had folks driving up to my house, getting candy, and then piling back into the minivan. I'm living now on an obnoxious little street that is absolutely suburban but the dirtbags who built the place didn't bother with sidewalks. So like I get it it's not great to walk down halloween night but the reason it's not great to walk down at night is because you assholes are driving door to door instead of walking like a normal person. So I'm out there with the kiddo and his friends who are all hopped up on trick or treating adrenaline trying to keep them from sprinting into the middle of a street that normally sees two cars an hour. When I lived in a rural place I drove up to a neighborhood and parked and walked around, can't y'all do the same?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Well, this will certainly last us until next year….and beyond. All three are at a good age that I could just walk the dog while they went up to the doors. They were good about saying thank you without prompting, which was nice to see. Even though it was cold as hell they hung in there and did the entire neighborhood by foot.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I must have been more insulin than blood.

you hope anyway! :D

Kiddo randomly spiked a little at night, so either the liver dumped some storage or he found a snack. Not bad, just high end of normal. Breakfast took an extra dose to get back to normal.

From observational experience, really high blood sugar is loopy, spacey, tired, indifferent. Really low blood sugar is punchy, goofy, and loud, right up until they go too low.

"Fun" fact, cookie icing is 29g carb in 2 tbsp, and it's sticky so they can't spit it back out. That concentration of sugar smells toxic to me at this point.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Whoa did you go to a rich person neighborhood?? So many full-sized candy bars!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
After busting our asses all day Sunday to do anti-lice treatments all around the house and to ourselves, and combing my son's hair the past few mornings to make sure he was clean, he gets sent home from daycare almost immediately today when they found nits in his hair :negative: Really bad week for my wife to be traveling out of town.

Bought lice shampoo last weekend and have used that on him/ourselves a couple of times, and obviously we're combing his hair pretty religiously. Anything else we should be doing? Haven't found a bug in his hair (live or dead) since Sunday evening, but those eggs had to have come from somewhere.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 1, 2023

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Extreme melt down from both kids when I wanted them to eat a peanut butter jelly sandwich before we left, then another dual meltdown when I had to put on snow pants and a winter jacket under the kid’s costumes, my daughter cried all her makeup off before we even left the house. But once we were out the kids had fun, it was so cute watching my son persevere and climb up stairs by himself with his big fire truck costume that stuck out in front and back. We live on one of the “popular” streets for trick or treating, it’s fun to see so many people out. It honestly went way smoother than I thought it would once we were out and about. A third meltdown occurred when I made pizza, which both kids said they wanted, but by the time it was ready neither of them wanted it any more??

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh that was an unexpected bonus: the costumes we made for the kids were a bit oversized, but since they had to wear a thick coat under them, they turned out perfectly-sized! Almost like we planned it but no, we just suck at measuring felt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

C-Euro posted:

After busting our asses all day Sunday to do anti-lice treatments all around the house and to ourselves, and combing my son's hair the past few mornings to make sure he was clean, he gets sent home from daycare almost immediately today when they found nits in his hair :negative: Really bad week for my wife to be traveling out of town.

Bought lice shampoo last weekend and have used that on him/ourselves a couple of times, and obviously we're combing his hair pretty religiously. Anything else we should be doing? Haven't found a bug in his hair (live or dead) since Sunday evening, but those eggs had to have come from somewhere.

Find a treatment center near you and do that.

The OTC lice shampoo is worthless... ask me how I know.

Your pediatrician can probably prescribe a stronger treatment without a visit.

We ultimately did a lice treatment center. They basically use a specialized hair dryer on the scalp. The science behind it is that lice hate changes in temperature and humidity, so by blasting them with hot, dry air it will kill them and the eggs. The OTC shampoo kills lice just fine, but it doesn't do so well at killing the eggs, so if you leave even 1 behind you're hosed.

The one we went to sold some snakeoil that went along with it... rather, it was given to us as part of the treatment package, but they sell it separately for $:lol:. It's a specialized shampoo that has a couple ingredients that may or may not actually do anything. There's one key ingredient that's used a lot in lice treatment (whether it actually works or not is another question), but the rest is kinda junk. But mostly it's the heat treatment itself and the follow up with a nit comb.

These places look scammy, but they worked for us.

Also be absolutely goddamn sure you're not getting reinfected. Pillows, sheets, clothing, etc. all needs to be washed in high temp or bagged and left for a few weeks. Anything that could have touched anyone's head. It's all suspect.