Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lmao at this exclusive chat emoji you can get if you pre-order. Silent Hill is back.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Lmao at this exclusive chat emoji you can get if you pre-order. Silent Hill is back.

Here. Comes. Cults!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally i hope all these things flop and silent hill is dead forever

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Is SH: Townfall no longer a thing?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Mr E posted:

That Silent Hill TV Show looks awful. I hope F is good but really at this point I'd prefer Konami to go back to not making games at all.

before they die off, they need to re-release the original versions of sh1 and sh2 on any modern console. hell, i'll even take mgs-like-broken versions.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Endorph posted:

Here. Comes. Cults!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this will get spammed whenever a goon has a breakdown

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Tired Moritz posted:

this will get spammed whenever a goon has a breakdown

We need an emote immediately

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Me trying to talk about my friend's awful painting without hurting their feelings

I love how there is just no point to any of it, they outright tell you what percentage of each ending the character is at and the chat picks dark side or light side. No discussion of possible knock on effects, just live or die from moment go.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 31, 2023

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
What we do in the shadows spin off where a handful of wife murderers hang out in some hosed up fog filled town while raising orphan girls with mysterious pasts

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
im honestly so excited. this is gonna bomb so badly

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Basic Chunnel posted:

hasn't been shown since that SH stream last year (ditto the SH2 remake and SHf), but the dev has continued to tweet about it

definitely the project i'm most interested in as a fan of Stories Untold and Observation, so hoping we get more info soon

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

lmfao

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

A ton of disease babbling here

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

FoneBone posted:

hasn't been shown since that SH stream last year (ditto the SH2 remake and SHf), but the dev has continued to tweet about it

definitely the project i'm most interested in as a fan of Stories Untold and Observation, so hoping we get more info soon

Yup, they keep tweeting they have openings available for Townfall whenever a round of layoffs go off in the industry.

So it's not soon, but it's definitely happening, thankfully!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Put it this way: sometimes you’re a kid who loves the perfect film that is Alien, and you’re like “more of this please,” but then you get more and the returns diminish.

Then you get a crossover with another “universe” that’s decent on its own merits. Maybe the idea is appealing on its face. Maybe you buy into the bombast, the “dream match” quality of two great tastes coming together. What could go wrong? But things don’t always add to the sum of their parts.

The crossover becomes its own thing, and you get one good FPS out of it, but pretty much everything else to come out of it sucks. It sucks really, really badly, such that Alien becomes defined by hacky, derivative bullshit. So from then on the idea of a hyped-up crossover does not, in your mind, foretell good things in and of itself.

Another, more germane example: M. Night Shyamalan (who again, prefigured Alan Wake 2 with his own metafictional indulgence, Lady In the Water), after wrecking his name brand with a string of flops, toils through a couple of unpretentious, lean and mean genre indies such that within a few years, people start to wonder if maybe his earlier failures were a fluke. Then he has a real comeback with Split.

The thing with Split is (spoilers for a 2016 movie) that it’s a lean mean genre picture that just so happens to reveal itself, at the very end, as a secret prologue to a sequel following MNS’s second movie, Unbreakable. Much the same way CONTROL reveals itself to be, on some level, a prologue to AW2! Some people were thrilled we were in for more Unbreakable. A lot more people didn’t didn’t much care one way or another.

There were also people who actually liked Split more as its own thing, its own weird little one-off playing by its own rules. There were people who were deflated by the implication that Split only happened because MNS couldn’t make what he really wanted, which was Unbreakable 2, and the further implication that Split, by dint of not being the creator’s darling, was a minor work in service to the other, more important thing. Not to mention that if the return of the other thing didn’t pan out, the thing you showed up for would probably die too.

And if the other thing did really well? Who knows if they’d bother to return to the secondary franchise. Maybe CONTROL becomes something like the Hulk in the MCU — the FBC showing up in everything as a feature but never getting another crack at their own starring vehicle. That would be a shame.

What if you liked CONTROL way more than AW, or thought its greatest future potential lay in going deeper into itself rather than deeper into whatever AW was doing? If you’re not as enchanted by the grand universal plan as the creators are, that can end up being a problem, because now, there’s no reason to expect that future CONTROL games, if any, will exist at the same distance from AW. It may end up a “sidequel”, or worse, whatever Book of Boba Fett was while everyone was waiting for the Mandalorian to show up.

Speaking of Disney is really staring this dilemma down as their firehose of networked properties generates less and less enthusiasm, the grand overarching plots and the individual pieces both becoming more and more listless…

But more to the point, investors and entertainment conglomerates are betting big on imperial IP franchises across all forms of media. Anything that’s anything must be a flagship, a sequel, or a tie-in.

Anyway, and apropos of nothing, one of the issues with Split specifically was that a fairly common feeling about MNS getting his mojo back by explicitly easing the throttle on the grand schemes, on “lore” and bluster. The end of Split indicated he was raring to leverage his comeback into a return to the bloated conceptual mythology that had ended his first run at the top. Sure enough, nobody cared about Glass, and he went back to smaller genre pics.

This all seems to boil down to one simple fact: derivative work is not guaranteed to be as good as the original. That's it. That the sequels/prequels/spin-offs/side stories tie into other creative works is entirely immaterial because normal sequels are just as likely to be bad, tarnish the overall perception of the franchise, misunderstand the elements that made the original so good or successful, and/or be just as vulnerable to ill thought out decisions made with monetary rather than creative motivations in mind. That doesn't mean you have to like it, but assuming a large interconnected universe inherently means better or worse quality simply does not follow.

Basic Chunnel posted:

As far as I know, it's coming but still in development. I don't think we have release dates on any of the other Silent Hill projects.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sydney Bottocks posted:

A ton of disease babbling going on here

- me, opening my teams chat at work

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I beat the Dead Space remake last night. Really good stuff. I haven't played the original since it came out, but the remake definitely feels like how I remember it, if that makes sense. All the characters, including Isaac, are better written than I remember. It seemed like almost every character had their Nicole they were being manipulated with, which is good early foreshadowing about the Nicole you see. Side note about Nicole, playing on an ultrawide screen totally spoils the jump scare at the very end. You can see her sitting next to you for a good ten seconds before you're supposed to.

Stasis and kinesis are as satisfying as ever. The plasma cutter is still one of my favorite video game weapons of all time. I couldn't help but use it for 90% of the game. If there is one complaint I have about the game, it's that the upgrade system really encourages you to focus on one or two weapons on your first playthrough.

The only major bug I got was after killing the Hunter with the shuttle, the cutscene never triggered and the marker vanished. So I wandered around the shuttle bay for ten minutes trying to figure out how to load an invisible marker into the shuttle. I thought the game was being meta about something.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
https://x.com/_KLind/status/1719386575166218650?s=20

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/bobvids/status/1719393688210510300?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think if you wanted to do a parody deconstruction of Silent Hill it's hard to imagine anything more perfect than whatever this is.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
dont forget to buy the season pass for ascension y'all, gotta level up the battle pass

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I love how there is just no point to any of it, they outright tell you what percentage of each ending the character is at and the chat picks dark side or light side. No discussion of possible knock on effects, just live or die from moment go.

thinking on it, possibly they might literally not be able to do any of that; since people are potentially paying actual money for their votes they might legally be obligated to state exactly what it is each vote does (or obligated by apple, same difference), in the same way gachas all have to post the exact odds of things out to four decimal places. so this is probably going to have the least complexity/responsiveness of any of these types, which is saying something.

can't believe the called shot on "trauma!" it's beyond parody.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Please for the love of god I need a high res version of It's Trauma. It is the stupidest thing. The *stupidest thing.*

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ok this owns, Silent Hill Twitch Edition ftw

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Nick Buntline posted:

thinking on it, possibly they might literally not be able to do any of that; since people are potentially paying actual money for their votes they might legally be obligated to state exactly what it is each vote does (or obligated by apple, same difference), in the same way gachas all have to post the exact odds of things out to four decimal places. so this is probably going to have the least complexity/responsiveness of any of these types, which is saying something.

can't believe the called shot on "trauma!" it's beyond parody.

I believe that voting is free, but the paid season pass thing gives you access to those dumbass stickers.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

That Article posted:

Navok says that Silent Hill: Ascension won’t be pay-to-win; viewers can’t simply spend a bunch of money on IP to outvote their fellow Silent Hill fans. And while IP can be purchased directly and unlocked through the season pass, there are free ways to earn the points. In addition to its branching narrative scenes, Ascension has moments called Endurance Scenes, real-time QTEs that viewers can participate in to decide characters’ fate (and earn them IP).

he's right it's not pay-to-win because I have zero idea what that would even mean in this context, but you can totally still spend money to just buy IP directly, you can just also get them from raising Karl's hope with your guitar skills etc.

can't explicitly confirm since the app itself looks to be down right now, but the app store is still showing prices for IAPs matching that of the "IP Packs" from the prior leak, so those are probably still accurate as well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr E posted:

That Silent Hill TV Show looks awful. I hope F is good but really at this point I'd prefer Konami to go back to not making games at all.

People extremely quickly forgot what Konami was like in the years immediately preceding them not bothering with games anymore

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

glitchwraith posted:

This all seems to boil down to one simple fact: derivative work is not guaranteed to be as good as the original. That's it. That the sequels/prequels/spin-offs/side stories tie into other creative works is entirely immaterial because normal sequels are just as likely to be bad, tarnish the overall perception of the franchise, misunderstand the elements that made the original so good or successful, and/or be just as vulnerable to ill thought out decisions made with monetary rather than creative motivations in mind. That doesn't mean you have to like it, but assuming a large interconnected universe inherently means better or worse quality simply does not follow.
On the contrary, I maintain that tying a particular vehicle to a broader universal tapestry is a two-way street and it’s just as likely that the greater franchise can reflect poorly on the entry as the entry reflecting poorly on the franchise. If the universe isn’t exciting, then it can easily threaten to cool down a specific entry as that entry focuses, however briefly, on its connection to that universe.

Take Assassin’s Creed. Whatever you think of that franchise, the devs recognized early on that the near-future sci fi overplot which tied all the entries together was something players tolerated at best. So even though the devs were clearly excited about their grand plan, they made the (wise) decision with AC3 to basically cancel the central story element of the near future stuff, only retaining the “DNA memory diving” hooplah as a gameplay conceit and focusing instead on the historical plotlines. Besides the fact that it was good, there was no shortage of relief when Black Flag came out and the future stuff was a complete afterthought.

AC at this point has a shared setting but there’s no longer any sense of “build” or interconnection of significance like there was in the beginning. In 2023, build is the whole point of a universe, the frisson of how the different pieces might directly or indirectly affect one another.

But the point is that it’s hard to engage a given entry into that mix without some heat bleed, and oftentimes the entries in a universe that people love the most tend to be ones that concern themselves least with the mythology. Take Andor, a legitimately great show that also pointedly declines to engage with most of the things people associate with Star Wars writ large. The words “Jedi” and “force” aren’t spoken over 11 whole hours, and the references to beloved touchstones (repeated iconic lines, etc) are few and subtle. So much so that people question why it’s even part of the universe.

I think in that case the setting adds something to the show, but the show doesn’t care about giving back to the setting. Is that a problem? If it is, what are the implications for an entry in a CU that is markedly better than others, in a way that’s not obviously replicable?

It’s a sidelong way of getting to the question of what a universe is for, and it gets to the other metatextual problem with universes, which is that they’re presented as a creative vision but function primarily as a commercial vision. Fandom is an audience that can be counted on to spend more money with less enticement; entries become almost incidental in themselves, because their primary function is to goose enthusiasm for a greater brand which just gets bigger and bigger — more metaplot, more “lore”, more scope and scale, likely for the payoff of a big capper in the flagship series.

Is that Remedy’s aim with their Lakeverse? I don’t think it’s so cynical, but the interdependence of the work still functions the same way. I can’t shake the feeling I’m supposed to be investing in metaplot between games, as much or possibly more than the plot within a game. Every janitor and FBC folder draws attention to the universe aspect and threatens more Lore.

Again, it’s that M. Night Shyamalan problem: what does the creator think is interesting about the work, and what happens when it misaligns with what a player finds interesting? In all likelihood the gap widens, and the player loses interest. If the point of disagreement is “the game currently being played,” that’s a problem.

More broadly, the question we’re coming to as a culture in the franchise age is: If an imperial brand starts to lose heat and becomes less of a selling point in itself, if it becomes a focus of fatigue rather than excitement, what does that imply for the constituent parts plugged into it? Does the cooling off of other parts become a problem for a given entry to solve? Do they pull an AC, concede that it’s not working and let it spin off into its own little corner, or do they double down?

I’m skeptical of the long term bc Remedy is clearly precious about their homebrew Dark Tower. If I’m not getting in on the ground level, what do I have to look forward to? How can I expect anything except more of what I’m presently getting? That’s what a universe promises.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 31, 2023

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Okay but how do we influence the viewers to go for the UFO ending

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

maybe itll be like homecoming and the ufo ending will be the default one you get

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you, the viewer, are the dog at the wall of monitors

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ChickenHeart posted:

Okay but how do we influence the viewers to go for the UFO ending

UFO is when the project crashes due to everyone in the audience spamming gamer words and then they have to do a 5 second video where all the characters die on their way back to their home planet.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

On the contrary, I maintain that tying a particular vehicle to a broader universal tapestry is a two-way street and it’s just as likely that the greater franchise can reflect poorly on the entry as the entry reflecting poorly on the franchise. If the universe isn’t exciting, then it can easily threaten to cool down a specific entry as that entry focuses, however briefly, on its connection to that universe.

What is cool down? If it means loss of "marketable hype", that's going to fade with time regardless. No piece of media stays culturally relevant forever no matter how good. The only way of lengthening that relevance is by influencing new media, which are just as likely to have a "cooling" effect as bad sequels or larger universe brands. We talk all the time how much damage has been done to horror games as a genre by failed attempts to mimic Silent Hill 2. Personally, though, such cooling has little effect on my enjoyment of material because it's entirely divorced from the actual quality. Alien and Aliens are going to be great movies that I can enjoy for the rest of my life regardless of how many bad AvP movies and games come out afterwords. And if they finally make another genre defining Alien sequel, I'll enjoy it for it's strengths regardless of how many bad AvP movies came before.

I find it weird you mention Andor, because it's the perfect example of the opposite of what you are describing. Star Wars is absolutely a sprawling universe that, over time, has "cooled". Yet Andor was a fan and critical success despite being in the middle of of a glut of lesser received movies and shows. It's true that part of that is because it didn't follow the same trodden ground of Jedi and force users, but what it did focus on was always central to the original plots, even more so I'd argue than the force; The Empire vs. The Rebellion. It filled in gaps that had previously been left to our imaginations in a way that is, sadly, still relevant to the modern political discourse. If that isn't "giving back" to the fictional universe, I don't know what is. Could you have told the same plot and explored the same concepts in a different setting? Absolutely, and it's been done many times before. But the same can be said of the original Star Wars movies and, in fact, most popular narratives. The execution and, for lack of a better word, "flavor" of the setting is as important to the whole as any other, for good or ill.

And again, none of this is new. Writers have put nods to their own work or their inspirations for as long as there has been publishing. Stephen King referencing It in Dark Tower doesn't make either story inherently lesser. What's new is the corporate approach of pushing such nods as marketing, and potentially focusing on that instead of making well crafted narratives. I can agree that is a legitimate concern, but in order to tell if that is happening or not, we still need to judge entries on their own merits.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
You know what's really good in traditionally cerebral, atmospheric horror titles? That's right, a garish UI and a stream of random chat bullshit from strangers taking up two thirds of the screen.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

exquisite tea posted:

I think if you wanted to do a parody deconstruction of Silent Hill it's hard to imagine anything more perfect than whatever this is.

The light gun arcade game is up there.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

who broke you, Samm :smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

punished samm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.