Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

feel very bad for the 7 year olds who have never seen a Cubs win a world series in their lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I wish the Astros had started their cheating reign a season earlier and deprived the Cubs winning

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

R.D. Mangles posted:

feel very bad for the 7 year olds who have never seen a Cubs win a world series in their lifetime.

https://www.theonion.com/2-year-old-never-thought-he-would-live-to-see-giants-wi-1819577125

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Nodoze posted:

I wish the Astros had started their cheating reign a season earlier and deprived the Cubs winning

And miss out on watching Trevor Bauer not get a ring in dramatic fashion?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Forrest on Fire posted:

And miss out on watching Trevor Bauer not get a ring in dramatic fashion?

Mookie would probably love for everyone to forget when Bauer sliced his hand open playing with a drone during the ALCS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1719422504698302849

Least watched game ever *so far*

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

My favorite random Cubs world series fact is when Parks and Rec, of all shows, called out a 2016 World Series win and it was 100% written in as a moonshot joke.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Off by one.

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012

Most of the USA content in whomever wins so long as their most hated enemies aren't there to win another. Evil has already been defeated.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

live with fruit posted:

Mookie would probably love for everyone to forget when Bauer sliced his hand open playing with a drone during the ALCS.

????

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Won't someone think of the ratings? We should just go ahead and contract all teams that don't meet some arbitrary level of national interest so that this can never happen again. Is there a GoFundMe for the struggling ad executives at Fox so we can help cover any bonuses they might miss out on?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm on board with contraction of the Rangers.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Did someone say ratings??

32-team Super Tournament!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If you win a World Series and no one's around to watch it do you get a flag to fly forever?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kirios posted:

If you win a World Series and no one's around to watch it do you get a flag to fly forever?

I'm afraid not. -_-

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Who gives a poo poo

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

thehoodie posted:

Who gives a poo poo

I imagine the people selling advertising during those games do

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Lame

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

thehoodie posted:

Who gives a poo poo

us salty fans of eliminated teams obviously

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thehoodie posted:

Who gives a poo poo

Major League Baseball

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

I want people to watch the glorious ascension of Evan Carter, so low viewership is bad for that exact desire.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I watch the playoffs to gauge the profitability of baseball's many valued partners

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Poque posted:

I watch the playoffs to gauge the profitability of baseball's many valued partners

Low viewership means valued partner becomes pillow king.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Poque posted:

For me it's that moment when they hand the Commissioner's Trophy to the owner.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I watch for the three to five minute long owners speech upon reception of the trophy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dameius posted:

Low viewership means valued partner becomes pillow king.

"No more Emirates or He Gets Us commercials please"

*monkey paw curls*

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Emirates x Ford collab, get it done MLB!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

If you throw out the covid season, the 2021 World Series had the worst TV ratings ever at that time. The 2022 series then replaced it as the worst rated World Series of all time. One thing I can think of those two years had in common is that Astros fans gave no shits about ratings then.

I for one am enjoying the Peyronie's disease commercials because my team is in the world series.

Edit: oh hell Garcia must be literally dead
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1719452041406484714?s=20

Bandire fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 31, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Every year has the worst ratings yet because entertainment is fracturing into infinitely more and smaller pieces

Pretty sure this same trend applies even to the Super Bowl

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Every year has the worst ratings yet because entertainment is fracturing into infinitely more and smaller pieces

Nope, last year was the second best viewership since 2004. The best was, sigh, the freakin cubs in 16

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

I'm actually under the impression that all numbers can do is go up?

More people would watch the world series if John Smoltz's voice and appearance was digitally erased

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If I were in charge of Major League Baseball I would simply not allow a cranky old man who hates the modern game to be the voice of the marquee event of the season

But I’m just a humble small town poster, I’m no big city anti-labor attorney

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

zoux posted:

Nope, last year was the second best viewership since 2004. The best was, sigh, the freakin cubs in 16

Not sure where you are seeing that but: https://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/wstv.shtml

Baseball only appeals to us olds, and it is slowly dying.

Rolling Smoltz out there to say incomprehensible bullshit isn't helping either.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Make the World Baseball Classic annual.
I bet baseball's doing better in the world overall.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Make the World Baseball Classic annual.
I bet baseball's doing better in the world overall.

"NBC Boston posted:

Just in Japan alone -- a country of 125 million -- 62 million viewers tuned in to watch Japan beat rival South Korea in a pool play game.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bandire posted:

Not sure where you are seeing that but: https://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/wstv.shtml

Baseball only appeals to us olds, and it is slowly dying.

Rolling Smoltz out there to say incomprehensible bullshit isn't helping either.

Uh, wow, this year is going to be a...dramatic drop. Also you are kind of ignoring that it was the most viewed championship series since 2018. When the bigger teams lose that's gonna happen.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
this is unfortunate. the World Series combines my two favorite things, Brands and Major League Baseball, and the thought that most of America isn't experiencing this is disheartening

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Might as well cancel the rest of the series and play re-runs of Friends

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

MrMidnight posted:

Might as well cancel the rest of the series and play re-runs of Friends

Does that mean the series will end without playing the 6th game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

could the ratings BE any lower?

:rip: