Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sounds like it's an incredibly perfect storm of cunning, risk, and circumstance that Swift is in the position she's in now. props

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Well drat then, good for her.

She also may or may not be dating Travis Kelce of the Kansas City Chiefs, and when they play a home game, a good 40% of the broadcast is cutaways to Taylor in the stands. Which has introduced her to professional football fans (of which there are A LOT) who may not have heard much about her before, other than the name. And, hilariously, introduced Swifties to the game of football, which gives us such amazing questions as "why are the Chiefs wearing their white costumes today?" While the Swifties are speedrunning the rules, they haven't gotten to the home/away jerseys part of things yet.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Because today they are the Chefs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Wait football people have costume changes? drat fast fashion ruins everything, shrink your wardrobes people!!

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Wait football people have costume changes? drat fast fashion ruins everything, shrink your wardrobes people!!

Funnily enough that's how they wrapped their heads around home/away jerseys...that it was like Taylor changing costumes during the concert for each era that she was performing.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I was at Target the other day and there was a standee with CDs and vinyls of her new album and I saw 2 teenage girls each pick up a copy and take a selfie. She's so powerful that she's getting kids to purchase physical media!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have nothing against Swift but I don’t care for personality cults.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just wasn't that big a fan of Call Me Maybe

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

That was Living Colour

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

RBA Starblade posted:

That was Katy Perry

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I have this theory that in the post pandemic world people have a pretty powerful sense of isolation which is leading them to go really over the top in jumping onto bandwagons of anything that's seemingly popular.

So Taylor Swift is caught up in the same rush that's propping up something like CU Football.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift was "seemingly popular" before covid.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Simplex posted:

I have this theory that in the post pandemic world people have a pretty powerful sense of isolation which is leading them to go really over the top in jumping onto bandwagons of anything that's seemingly popular.

So Taylor Swift is caught up in the same rush that's propping up something like CU Football.

Hahaha, the Kanye West thing was like fifteen years ago, what the gently caress are you talking about?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
As someone else posted, it's the re-released albums with the "Eras" hook, which allowed younger fans to engage with fresh takes of the songs their moms grew up with.

Also, she linked up with the guy from the National for two autumnal albums during the pandemic, which made it okay for critics and hipsters to listen to the rerecordings through an "auteur" lens.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

That was Living Colour

Would a Taylor Swift cover be too on the nose?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Hahaha, the Kanye West thing was like fifteen years ago, what the gently caress are you talking about?

that poo poo was 5 years ago what are you talking about :shepface:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

That was Katy Perry

I never want to be the guy smugly announcing how out of touch he is with some popular thing, but this accounted for half of the songs I would have confidently attributed to Taylor Swift :negative:

I should probably go listen all her albums once just to do it, it's not the same time commitment as, I dunno, suffering through the entire MCU.

Edit: ok wait, this is a lot of albums

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 31, 2023

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Casimir Radon posted:

:yeah: for me as well, she seems to be doing well for herself but I'm really sick of our whole society turning into what celebrity or politician you worship

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Taylor Swift is popular because a lot of her songs are bangers.

Some of them are also just high school level petty grudges or love fantasies but that's also her target audience.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Look at all these grandpas, drat

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Well I for one think Taylor Swift is a lovely young lady and hope she will marry my grandson, Brongolius III

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think gaylor swift is pretty weird. Shipping real people is weird

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tars Tarkas posted:

Taylor Swift is popular because a lot of her songs are bangers.

Some of them are also just high school level petty grudges or love fantasies but that's also her target audience.

there's one about the giant house she bought in long island lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CelticPredator posted:

I think gaylor swift is pretty weird. Shipping real people is weird

do i even wanna know

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think you can figure it out

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Was her dad in the cia ??

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CelticPredator posted:

Shipping real people is weird

You should only ship tea like Sean Connery.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RBA Starblade posted:

That was Katy Perry

Carly Rae Jepsen deserves better than this. :argh:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alan Smithee posted:

do i even wanna know

Gaylors are Swifties who think the woman who’s well-known for dating a long string of high-profile men is actually secretly a lesbian, and she’s secretly leaving a bunch of Easter eggs all over her music and imagery for people to find and interpret.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Originally it was Gaylor Negron but RIP.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm not saying that these things haven't happened before, or that Taylor hasn't been popular for a while. It's more how over the top these things have become that yeah, we really are seriously discussing congressional in inquiries into Taylor Swift concert tickets.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Gaylors are Swifties who think the woman who’s well-known for dating a long string of high-profile men is actually secretly a lesbian, and she’s secretly leaving a bunch of Easter eggs all over her music and imagery for people to find and interpret.

Swifties are insane with their conspiracy theories. The one relevant to this thread is that she's confirmed to be Dazzler in Deadpool 3 because she's been seen in public with Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds

And then she's going to pivot over to the main Marvel Universe and be Dazzler in a solo movie

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Len posted:

Swifties are insane with their conspiracy theories. The one relevant to this thread is that she's confirmed to be Dazzler in Deadpool 3 because she's been seen in public with Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds

And then she's going to pivot over to the main Marvel Universe and be Dazzler in a solo movie

Taylor Swift just completely hijacking the MCU would be really funny. Her doing it as Dazzler would be hilarious and kinda appropriate.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ticketmaster is a monster so anything that sheds light on that is good regardless

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Simplex posted:

This goes back quite a bit before that, but the pandemic didn’t help things. A lot of people were getting stupidly tribalistic about internet poo poo at least a decade ago. All the stupid Harambe poo poo was in ‘16. I suspect a big part of it is the mixture of oldsters getting on Facebook, and Gen Zers getting unsupervised internet access they can carry around in their pocket all the time. They don’t have the same instincts about safeguarding their privacy or not getting too wrapped up in stupid poo poo that many people who spent time on the rough and tumble ‘90s and ‘00s internet have.

Also in terms of celebrity worship I’m reminded of a picture I saw of the King Charles coronation earlier in the year. A protester had a sign that read “He’s just some guy”. Which sums up my position pretty well.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Taylor Swift is just some guy.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Harambe was just a meme because that gorilla was on national news for like a week until the Pulse Nightclub Shooting happened and there was finally some real news.

I think you're reading too much into it; it would sort of be like saying Morbius memes represent nihilistic disillusionment.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 31, 2023

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

yeah this

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

toggle posted:

Was her dad in the cia ??

No. Her dad was a high level stock broker at Merrill Lynch. My wife met him a bunch around the time Taylor was just getting started. She would've been fine if this didn't work out for her but also I think her dad and his network helped shape her into a much better business person than a lot of other people in similar situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I used to think my generation wouldn’t be as out of touch or clueless as other generations got when they got old and every time I read some poo poo like “Harambe was a portent of our isolation” on here I’m reminded of how wrong I was.