Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
If I wasn't all set to splurge on Legions (soonTM), I'd be sorely tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i missed the reprint of the rogue trader rpg book, so i guess thats on the list now too, gently caress.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

My Spirit Otter posted:

i missed the reprint of the rogue trader rpg book, so i guess thats on the list now too, gently caress.

I didn't even notice when I posted the article. I just stopped reading it when it got to the warhammer + stuff.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Lucinice posted:

I didn't even notice when I posted the article. I just stopped reading it when it got to the warhammer + stuff.

same, i saw it on reddit and made that post in case there were others like me, who missed it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here comes the Daemons
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/10/legacies-of-the-age-of-darkness-enter-the-daemons-of-the-ruinstorm/

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Ristolaz posted:

I was looking at the article that had the bound daemons rules, and it says that we would get the full ruinstorm daemons list by the end of the summer. Has there been an update that I missed or any rumors?

I think you manifested this into existence

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/10/legacies-of-the-age-of-darkness-enter-the-daemons-of-the-ruinstorm/

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Yep, esoterist here. My next power will be to banish some money from my wallet

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah. I know some folks who have been waiting for these rules since 2.0 launched. Nice to finally have them and it'll definitely get some people hobbying again. Demon armies are such a great opportunity for conversions and proxies and no two armies look alike. Excited to see what comes out of this.

That said, having read the rules, this is an army with a few problems. The Heavy Support slot is basically dead space. Just trash. Additionally, while I understand why the customization of the old list was stripped back I think they went a little too far with it. Most units have one or two options and some have none. It was all a little too much before, but this list has the opposite problem. That said, the big guys still have some nice options available and will see a variety of builds and the dominions will add a bit of flavor to the lesser demons. It would've been nice to be able to mix those, but that would've been impossible for an opponent to track. It's better this way and the bonuses are generally pretty solid across the board. Lists will probably fill out their HQ and elite slots as much as they can. I think demon lists might wind up a bit samey as a result, but we'll see.

All in all, while I think the militia list turned out better, this is a decent base for the writers to tweak and build off of. I'm just speculating here, but if the new exemplary battles book is anything to go off of then the writers will revisit these lists in the future as they get them into print. It sucks for demon and militia players to be stuck with beta rules for a while though. As a Dark Angels player, I have an idea of what that's like. :v: I'm happy they're trying stuff out and if this leads to tighter rules in the future then it's all good.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yeah, the militia rules were :krad: from the first read. The demons are just... there.

They also lost the zombie unit!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Huh, they actually made a good decision with the sprue design for once.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Mark 3 armour is so pretty :allears:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Oh clever. I was just thinking of that exact issue.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

drat now I regret creating a lasgun and autocannon heavy weapon squad out of my MK6's

Guess I'll build some missile launcher and heavy bolter squads with them instead :getin:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I love that they went to this little bit of effort. I like heavy support guys in mkIII so this is targeted directly at me. They'll also be nice bits to have for when you want to bulk up a character or something.

I think I want to build a plasma cannon or volkite culverin unit. :pcgaming:

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Yeah thats pretty clever and makes me want to get some. Breacher upgrade kit when though

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just buying some 3d printed upgrades for the mk6's from etsy until an official kit comes out.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Pre orders are up

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/14/saturday-pre-orders-heavy-armour-for-your-army-on-and-off-the-battlefield/

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Box :getin:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm trying to jam some not-Daemonettes in my list, and it looks like lesser Daemons don't exist in the Bound Ruinstorm so I need to use an Esoterist and the Regular Ruinstorm because Malefic Supplicant is just for Bound and

This feels like a long way to go just for some flavor.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I'm trying to jam some not-Daemonettes in my list, and it looks like lesser Daemons don't exist in the Bound Ruinstorm so I need to use an Esoterist and the Regular Ruinstorm because Malefic Supplicant is just for Bound and

This feels like a long way to go just for some flavor.

Unfortunately, the bound demon list is kind of a weird placeholder from before the demons list was finalized. They updated it with a slight wording change when the full list dropped, but there are still strange disconnects like the brutes having worse WS and different weapons. Until the bound list gets a real update I'd just use the ruinstorm demons. They deliberately made demons their own weird thing and locked them out of the normal allies system. It's annoying, but esoterists are cool so they're not a terrible option. Go for it. Make some brutes too.

Alternatively, and I know this isn't the best solution and won't work everywhere, but maybe talk to your friends and see if they'd mind if you just swap a few words around and run the ruinstorm list as bound demons. Or just cheat.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I like the idea of bound ones having different profiles, but it seems like a weirdly specific distinction that doesn't super help. I ended up running Ruinstorm ones with an Esoterist as my warlord. It was pretty fun!

They didn't do much except overrun his Inductii after they lost the morale test on that one assault reaction. Then 20 tacticals lit them up from an objective. Oops.

I think you need multiple Esoterists and maybe a daemomic herald if you want to lean harder into them. It's definitely a gamble, but there is something genuinely satisfying about throwing the pokeball.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I was asked to quickly paint up some Domitar-Ferrum class battle-automata.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

if thats quick, id love to see you paint some slowly, goddamn

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

My Spirit Otter posted:

if thats quick, id love to see you paint some slowly, goddamn

It's a lot of cheating.

The minis were primed with a metal colour. I painted up the yellow chevrons, then I blocked in the black areas. I tried to make them as straight as possible first try and did not bother about going back to fix them. I tinted the trims with a sepia wash to make them look brass. Then I covered the whole model with gloss varnish, added the decals, varnished over the decals and once all dry I washed the whole mini with a mix of black and burnt sienna oils.
24 hours later, I sprayed the whole mini with satin varnish, dry / over brushed the metallic areas with a bright silver (in this case Vallejo metal Color - Aluminium), used the same paint to add chips and scratches to the surfaces. Used Scorpion Brass to reinforce the brass parts, added some green to the weapons and the chest led(?).
The base is just standard sand and kitty litter for variation with PVA glue, covered with Burnt umber pigment powder. No paint.

Apart from the 24 hour waiting for the oils to dry, was a really quick process. The oils hide a lot of mistakes, especially with the hazard stripes, if you look at them close you can see that they are nowhere near perfectly straight.

Edit: Oh right, I painted one single cable on each model red.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 25, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Second outing with Daemons in my list and now I love them.

Being able to barf out a dozen bases as a shooting reaction seems overpowered, but I think it's mostly the surprise of it.

Fear is also wonderful, but 12" feels way too big.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I should try that. Infiltrating an Esoterist as Alpha Legion sounds like a fun surprise for my opponents.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Last year (or early this year?) I went to some effort to scale up the original plastic MkIIIs to match the new MkVIs; I was really curious how they'd look next to the new ones.

I think it worked.

EDIT: My one complaint about the new MkIIIs is that either the chins go down too far or the neck bulbs don't, because if you socket a helmet into a torso the chin will ride up against the gorget and put the head into a natural pose of looking slightly upwards. You can see in that pic how I tried to combat this by filing the chin a bit, but it isn't enough.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 29, 2023

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Stephenls posted:

Last year (or early this year?) I went to some effort to scale up the original plastic MkIIIs to match the new MkVIs; I was really curious how they'd look next to the new ones.

I think it worked.

EDIT: My one complaint about the new MkIIIs is that either the chins go down too far or the neck bulbs don't, because if you socket a helmet into a torso the chin will ride up against the gorget and put the head into a natural pose of looking slightly upwards. You can see in that pic how I tried to combat this by filing the chin a bit, but it isn't enough.
I think I like your upscaled one more than the new kit.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Mercurius posted:

Agreed. I have upscaled old-MkIII as heavy support for my IW and I like the models a lot better that way. They didn't need this redesign, especially not one that removes options from the kit and fucks its compatibility with anything but MkVI parts.

It doesn't help that new MkIII looks like an off brand version trying to avoid copyrights or some poo poo.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 29, 2023

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mercurius posted:

Thanks! I'm happy with the effect I got from it. (More on that in a bit.)

SkyeAuroline posted:

Agreed. I have upscaled old-MkIII as heavy support for my IW and I like the models a lot better that way. They didn't need this redesign, especially not one that removes options from the kit and fucks its compatibility with anything but MkVI parts.

It doesn't help that new MkIII looks like an off brand version trying to avoid copyrights or some poo poo.

I don't really agree that it looks like an off-brand version, but I do think it's a significant shift. It was hard to tell when we just had one of the new armor sets, but now that we have two, I think it's evident that the Heresy 2.0 model line is a much more significant revision to the actual art style of heresy minis than anyone expected.

So, check this out. Here's the original John Blanche sketches for Marks I-VII, plus the Jess Goodwin Mark VIII sketch.

(One of the reasons why I'm so happy with my MkIII upscaling is that proportionally it resembles that Mark III sketch, kinda round and wide and stocky.)

All art necessarily involves deliberate stylization; you couldn't make miniatures that are 100% accurate to those sketches. The original ForgeWorld sculptors made some interesting decisions when interpreting those sketches into 3D. For example, compare the banding along the legs of the Blanche Mark II sketch to this:

The ForgeWorld sculptor has chosen to interpret the banding along the legs as a series of overlapping cylinders. It looks great; I love that design for Mark II and for the back of the legs of Mark III. But it's not accurate to the sketch -- that leg banding in the sketch is flush, not overlapping. The sketch, by itself, almost looks more like this guy's arms than the ForgeWorld sculpt:

(Colossus pic chosen more or less at random but you can see how the Blanche art resembles the classic Marvel method of portraying cybernetic or metal body parts; basically naked bodybuilder flesh colored silver and contoured into cylindrical sections.)

The new Mark III minis aren't an update to the old Mark III minis; they're a reinterpretation of the original sketches. They don't match the sketches perfectly, but they vary from them to about the same degree the old sculpts did -- just in different ways. And as for the art style, when I look at the proportions of the new minis, I see this:

The heads are smaller and the shoulders are bigger and higher up. This is a whole new set of stylistic choices, unbound to the previous choices by the ForgeWorld sculptors of yore. And that's really annoying if you have big old Heresy armies and would like the new ones to match them visually, but, well, artists gonna art. Artists generally want to break free from previous conventions and do their own thing, and I think that's what we're seeing here.

What I expect here is that when we get the updated Mark IV, the helmets are going to look weird. They're probably going to be much closer to that weird duck bill thing on the Blanche Mark IV sketch than revisions to the existing Mark IV plastics.

One other interesting choice I see here. If you look at the back of the legs of the new MkIII, and also the back of the legs of an Intercessor...

It makes the Intercessor look like a technological descendant of the Mark III plate. Which is... I dunno if that's cool? I don't know if I like it. I do genuinely prefer the overlapping plates to the flush ones on Mark II and Mark III. But this has got to be deliberate. Leakycheese did a video about how the Kratos has been sculpted to look like a design predecessor of other Space Marine tanks that were sculpted earlier but developed later according to the lore, and I think this is the same sort of thing.

(Also randomly of note, if you look at the Jess Goodwin Mark VIII sketch, you can see the curved armor ridges above the ear coverings; those didn't make it into actual Mark VIII minis but are a signature of Mark X armor now.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 29, 2023

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

My favorite part about redesigning the OG armor marks is that Mk II and III helmets were fixed in place, like an old-timey diving helmet, or I guess like a spacesuit.

I kinda wish they had leaned into that and had larg bois that have no idea what the gently caress is going on unless it is in front of them.

I also wish that the different armor marks made more of a difference, like Cataphractii/Tartaros/Indomitus, but I can only imagine the headache that 'balancing' a unit that could be modified by Rite of War, Legion, armor version, and character rules would be.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I also wish that the different armor marks made more of a difference, like Cataphractii/Tartaros/Indomitus, but I can only imagine the headache that 'balancing' a unit that could be modified by Rite of War, Legion, armor version, and character rules would be.

The problem with doing it that way is you'd inevitably end up with a situation where half of the Legions have Legion rules that work best with armor marks other than the ones they're best known for. Better to have the armor marks be entirely cosmetic than write a ruleset where you really, really want to put the Raven Guard in Mark III and the Death Guard in Mark VI. There's just too many moving parts in the ruleset to avoid this.

(And then of course you could avoid this afterwards by just saying that your Death Guard modeled in Mark III are using the Mark VI rules, but if everyone starts doing that what was the point of giving all the armor marks their own rules anyway?)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 29, 2023

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SkyeAuroline posted:

I think it's basically just the helmet and powerpack that look a bit like third party bits. Cult of Paint recently did a video on the new MKIII and as soon as they put one of the old MKIII helmets on the new bodies they instantly looked just fine again.

I'm intending to pick up at least one box of them and I've got enough spare MKIII helmets and backpacks from the original plastic kit that I think I can swap the full 20 over. I tend to blutack stuff into place before I prime so if I remember I'll post some comparison shots of them with the old helmet/pack vs the new ones.

Stephenls posted:

I don't really agree that it looks like an off-brand version, but I do think it's a significant shift. It was hard to tell when we just had one of the new armor sets, but now that we have two, I think it's evident that the Heresy 2.0 model line is a much more significant revision to the actual art style of heresy minis than anyone expected.

So, check this out. Here's the original John Blanche sketches for Marks I-VII, plus the Jess Goodwin Mark VIII sketch.

(One of the reasons why I'm so happy with my MkIII upscaling is that proportionally it resembles that Mark III sketch, kinda round and wide and stocky.)

All art necessarily involves deliberate stylization; you couldn't make miniatures that are 100% accurate to those sketches. The original ForgeWorld sculptors made some interesting decisions when interpreting those sketches into 3D. For example, compare the banding along the legs of the Blanche Mark II sketch to this:

The ForgeWorld sculptor has chosen to interpret the banding along the legs as a series of overlapping cylinders. It looks great; I love that design for Mark II and for the back of the legs of Mark III. But it's not accurate to the sketch -- that leg banding in the sketch is flush, not overlapping. The sketch, by itself, almost looks more like this guy's arms than the ForgeWorld sculpt:

(Colossus pic chosen more or less at random but you can see how the Blanche art resembles the classic Marvel method of portraying cybernetic or metal body parts; basically naked bodybuilder flesh colored silver and contoured into cylindrical sections.)

The new Mark III minis aren't an update to the old Mark III minis; they're a reinterpretation of the original sketches. They don't match the sketches perfectly, but they vary from them to about the same degree the old sculpts did -- just in different ways. And as for the art style, when I look at the proportions of the new minis, I see this:

The heads are smaller and the shoulders are bigger and higher up. This is a whole new set of stylistic choices, unbound to the previous choices by the ForgeWorld sculptors of yore. And that's really annoying if you have big old Heresy armies and would like the new ones to match them visually, but, well, artists gonna art. Artists generally want to break free from previous conventions and do their own thing, and I think that's what we're seeing here.

What I expect here is that when we get the updated Mark IV, the helmets are going to look weird. They're probably going to be much closer to that weird duck bill thing on the Blanche Mark IV sketch than revisions to the existing Mark IV plastics.

One other interesting choice I see here. If you look at the back of the legs of the new MkIII, and also the back of the legs of an Intercessor...

It makes the Intercessor look like a technological descendant of the Mark III plate. Which is... I dunno if that's cool? I don't know if I like it. I do genuinely prefer the overlapping plates to the flush ones on Mark II and Mark III. But this has got to be deliberate. Leakycheese did a video about how the Kratos has been sculpted to look like a design predecessor of other Space Marine tanks that were sculpted earlier but developed later according to the lore, and I think this is the same sort of thing.

(Also randomly of note, if you look at the Jess Goodwin Mark VIII sketch, you can see the curved armor ridges above the ear coverings; those didn't make it into actual Mark VIII minis but are a signature of Mark X armor now.)
This post owns.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Robert Facepalmer posted:

My favorite part about redesigning the OG armor marks is that Mk II and III helmets were fixed in place, like an old-timey diving helmet, or I guess like a spacesuit.

I kinda wish they had leaned into that and had larg bois that have no idea what the gently caress is going on unless it is in front of them.

There’s kind of a problem in the more modern fluff where you can’t do something like that (it’s obviously very silly that a space marine can’t turn their head) because the overall level of competence in the Imperium is much higher than it was back in the 1st and 2nd edition fluff.

We must RETVRN to everyone being an idiot, even in the heresy where the Emperor was the biggest idiot of them all!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Are there any transfer sheets with the Destroyer Squad marking on besides 10 each on the big Legion-specific ones? I'd like to source a bunch of them as cost-effectively as possible.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Some comparisons between new MkIII bodies with various heads. (Pardon the half-completed nature of the models; I have so many bolter MkIIIs already I can't decide what I want to do with the new ones. One of those bodies is actually the one I had assembled above, taken back apart.)

First, the big lineup.

New MkIII head vs. old MkIII head. You can see the new one is noticeably bigger and overlaps the gorget more. It does look good, but I don't think the new one looks bad.

New head vs. unhelmeted head. They look about the same size; it's kind of a stretch that a head that size would be able to fit into a helmet that big, but shrinking helmets to make them more unhelmeted-head-size is a well-established artistic practice. For Captain America: Civil War, Chadwick Boseman wore a physical Black Panther suit with a real helmet and they shrunk the helmet in post using CGI to make it look better, because a real-sized helmet just looks kinda goofily big.

On the left is the new Mark II head from the tank cuppola sprue compared to an old Mark III head on the right. When I put together my big unit of twenty upsized Mark IIIs, I had planned to use the cuppola MkII helmet on a few of them to vary them up, but it looked terrible so I abandoned that plan; the old helmet proportions are so different from the new ones that the guys in MkII helmets just stood out too much. Compare with...

New MkII helmet and new MkIII helmet. They look fine together. So that'd be one of the advantages of embracing the new MkIII helmets -- they're going to look a lot better when you mix and match them with other new helmets, all of which seem to be made to the same scale.

Backpack comparison. You can see the zero-G maneuver verniers at the top of the backpacks are much more heavily armored on the new plastic MkIIIs, and I think I know why. In the ForgeWorld sculpts, the resin MkIIs and MkIIIs used the same backpacks, as did the MkVs and MkVIs. I think as they progress through new plastic versions of all the armor marks they're going to give each mark its own backpack, and the reason to give MkIIIs a bulkier, more armored backpack is so that if we get plastic MkIIs, they can give them a backpack that's less heavily armored, like the old resin/plastic MkIIIs.

Endman posted:

There’s kind of a problem in the more modern fluff where you can’t do something like that (it’s obviously very silly that a space marine can’t turn their head) because the overall level of competence in the Imperium is much higher than it was back in the 1st and 2nd edition fluff.

We must RETVRN to everyone being an idiot, even in the heresy where the Emperor was the biggest idiot of them all!

I unironically agree with this, and I'd be tickled pink if the new MkIIs have immobile diving helmets.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are there any transfer sheets with the Destroyer Squad marking on besides 10 each on the big Legion-specific ones? I'd like to source a bunch of them as cost-effectively as possible.

You'll have to look into third-party options.

I have a friend who's had a lot of luck ordering custom decal sheets from Skumb4g Kustoms; they made him a custom sheet of Charnel Guard transfers. If you reach out to them you could probably commission a sheet of Destroyer markings, and it might even end up being less expensive than buying an official sheet, given the prices GW charges for those. Turnaround time'd be longer, though.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 30, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Stephenls posted:

It makes the Intercessor look like a technological descendant of the Mark III plate. Which is... I dunno if that's cool? I don't know if I like it. I do genuinely prefer the overlapping plates to the flush ones on Mark II and Mark III. But this has got to be deliberate.

Excellent post

Don't give the dude on the right any weapons.
Make him like he's walking the runway

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's also this bit of Adrian Smith art from one of the earlier black books

The new armor is definitely taking some design cues from this, such as the shape of the shin plates.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Using the previously described quick method I did a Perturbator!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
Posting a small batrep of my and my opponents third game of Heresy, after doing two 500 pts games last time we played. We're both still trying to build our stuff when we get the chance, let alone paint the models and the board.
That said, the best way to learn is to play more games, so off we went, into the Zone Mortalis.

We played a game of 750 points Zone Mortalis, featuring my opponents loyalist Mechanicum against my traitor Sons of Horus.

I won strategic advantage, and for the mission we rolled Sweep and Clear. My opponent opted to deploy his tech-thralls and Thallax and kept his tech-priest and both units of Myrmidons in reserve.
I deployed both my units of despoilers and kept my Delegatus with Cataphractii command Squad and reavers in reserve.

Turn one was uneventful, with both of us moving the troops out to claim a second quarter, but without shooting or charges.

On his second turn, my opponent moved on his Myrmidons from the side edge and moved his Thallax close to my board edge.
This allowed me to bring in both my reserves almost on top of his units on turn three, which was probably not the best play in hindsight.
Moving on so close to my opponents Myrmidons allowed him to Supress the command squad, who thankfully passied their pinning test.
The terminators returned fire during the shooting phase but failed to wound, while the reavers fired at the Thallax, also failing to wound.

State of the board at the end of my turn 3, as things are heating up.

The reavers arrive from reserves to confront the Thallax.

On my opponents third turn, his second unit of Myrmidons moved in close to the command squad. Thankfully, a Supress reaction saw them take a single wound and fail their pinning test.
My opponent moved the Thallax back towards the command squad to set up a charge, and fired both the Thallax and Myrmidons into the terminators, killing three and wounding the Delegatus down to a single wound, before both units charged.

The Myrmidons close on the command squad.

The terminators rose to the occasion, killing a Myrmidon and two Thallax, winning the combat and routing the Thallax, but losing another of their number, leaving only the standard bearer and the Delegatus.

The terminators rout the Thallax, evening the odds.

With the game in the balance, my despoilers closed on the tech-thralls, and the reavers charged to support the battered command squad.
Barely making a 7" charge, the despoilers encircled the surviving Myrmidons. The reaver chieftain challenged the Secutor Lord, drawing hits away from my terminators to avoid losing my HQ and thus giving my opponent victory points.
The chieftain failed to wound his opponent with his powerfist, and took an axe to the face. R I P.
Despite killing my chieftain by some margin, the combat this turn was a draw.

On my opponents fourth turn, he moved his tech-thralls towards my incoming despoilers, taking a Supress reaction and becoming Pinned. His Thallax continued to fall back, whilst his other Myrmidons were still pinned.
This time the combat wasn't so even, with the reavers and terminators hacking down a myrmidon and wounding the centurius. The secutor lord broke from combat and the reavers failed their sweeping advance.

The reavers trap the surviving myrmidons against the unbreakable command squad. The Thallax continue to rout as the despoilers close on the tech-thralls.

In my turn, the despoilers killed most of the tech-thralls, causing them to flee off the board. The terminators caught the fleeing centurius and ran him down, whilst the reavers charged the Destructors, killing two and breaking the unit.
We called it at this point with the score in my favour. I ended up winning by a fairly hefty margin, but if the command squad had taken two more wounds before the reavers had a chance to support them, it would have gone quite differently.