Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Shoving something in /etc/hosts on the guests is one thing I'm willing to do, but I don't know if I can lean on the virbr0 IP staying the same. I'm trying to look into that too. I think there's some configuration settings I can check and change there that may let me do that.

The guests already have their own host names and that doesn't appear to be relevant. When I try to SSH to rockbox from the guest VMs, the guests wind up thinking they are supposed to connect to themselves.

Now, for this guy:

I don't know what that's about. What does that mean? It sounds interesting and different.

Unbound is a DNS server that runs on anything, you can run to manage all this poo poo on your LAN, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Unbound

I use pfsense for my router which comes with it integrated so I don't have as much experience running it on an ad-hoc server but depending on router make you might be able to tell your router which DNS servers to use, then when devices request DHCP it should hint at the DNS server too, which you point to your local unbound server, and then unbound resolves everything locally or forwards it upstream if its not local. If you can't configure it on your router youd just have to tell all your devices to use unbound manually, so 192.168.1.2 or whatever instead of 8.8.8.8.

This is also how pi-hole works (idk if its using unbound behind the scenes), I use pfblocker-ng as an alternative to pi-hole so again not 100% sure just know its similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

By default pihole does not use unbound, though you can point it to an internal unbound server for dns resolution.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/dns/unbound/

or via container:

https://github.com/chriscrowe/docker-pihole-unbound

quadlet version for podman (needs to be run rootful)

https://github.com/Nitrousoxide/appstore/tree/main/quadlet/pihole-unbound

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 31, 2023

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I love unbound. I use it to manage everything on my home network.

Quick and easy flat-file configuration for all the basic stuff I do, and plenty of configurability for more advanced needs.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ooh are we talking about name servers?

I'm partial to coredns.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Would I be setting that up on my computer itself? I ask because I have to use this both at home and at work, so I can't rely on something on my home network for this.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Subjunctive posted:

isn’t that the rust thing linked above?

It's "xrandr for gnome-mutter", it doesn't work on other DEs. So not the theoretical "xrandr for all wayland compositors" which might appease mystes's desire for a standard.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Stuff like xrandr is most useful for desktop troubleshooting (which probably greater appeals to folks running sway, labwc, or something not kwin and mutter) and scripting in, say, a kiosk environment. Regarding the latter, if you're building a kiosk system then X11 is still plenty viable as the main security benefits of wayland are moot if you're primarily running a single application anyways.

Yeah I guess a big source of the people who might hack together more commandline tools are still on X11.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What on earth is a quadlet?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

it's a play on kubernetes, kube = cube so a quad is flatter or smaller or something.

But it's podman's systemd unit generation feature for containers and it's actually pretty well done.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sounds like an old-timey slur, but that is a compelling framing.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

It's like a triad but with a fourth person

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
https://www.phoronix.com/news/Bcachefs-Merged-Linux-6.7

tempted to ruin a new nas build with this :madmax:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

What's the advantage over BTRFS or ZFS (if any)?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Nitrousoxide posted:

What's the advantage over BTRFS or ZFS (if any)?

I think bcachfs is supposed to be btrfs2. Even more unfinished, even more unimplemented killer features.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

I think bcachfs is supposed to be btrfs2. Even more unfinished, even more unimplemented killer features.

Does it have the killer feature BTRFS never implemented of "not losing your data"?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does it have the killer feature BTRFS never implemented of "not losing your data"?
it seems like it's still pretty unstable (although it's based on the existing bcache code) so probably not now but it doesn't seem impossible that it would eventually be more reliable than btrfs

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm going on 8 years now of multiple btrfs filesystems in production with zero problems.

Cephfs however has been a briar patch of opportunities for data loss.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cruft posted:

I'm going on 8 years now of multiple btrfs filesystems in production with zero problems.

I'd like to hear more about some of these, as someone approaching the first ever version upgrade of a several petabyte vanilla Ceph setup.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

cruft posted:

How is bcachefs's implementation of tiered storage, disk groups, in practice? https://www.patreon.com/posts/tiering-is-dead-17110871 Is it reasonably performant and easy to use?

Edit: I was looking at some guides to bcachefs and was a bit confused to see that rebalance and scrub aren't yet implemented. I haven't been following development too closely, but I would have expected one of the two to be implemented in the last 5 years.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 1, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd like to hear more about some of these, as someone approaching the first ever version upgrade of a several petabyte vanilla Ceph setup.

The one I set up is now somewhere about 60PB, I think. Cephfs has been remarkably stable with current versions of ceph. But it was remarkably not stable 6 years ago when we first started using it.

With cephfs, there is no fsck, so if you run into trouble, the procedure *should be*:

1. DO NOT FOLLOW ANY ONLINE GUIDES
  2. Join the ceph-users email list
  3. Make a post with as much detail as you can provide
  4. Pray
  5. Provide timely replies to any responses you get

Alternately:

1. Obtain an advanced degree in filesystem design
  2. Do a lot of reading, both published guides and source code
  3. Roll out a test filesystem to try your fix with (you can do this on the same cluster)
  4. Go hog wild

Or just pay somebody, such as 45drives, for a support contract.

What we did was:

1. Panic
  2. Find something online that looks like the same problem
  3. Assume "resilient" includes resilience to administrative actions
  4. Blithely do that
  5. Spend the next 3 years cleaning up after it and recovering data

We wound up bringing in a second programmer to help me out with diagnosing how to recover from certain errors we encountered trying to reclaim lost inodes, making one-off patches to ceph daemons in order to log obscure details, copying files from a broken FS to a new non-broken one, and convincing a lot of staff that cephfs is forever as unreliable as some people ITT think btrfs is. We're now engaged in a years-long project to demonstrate that, no, actually, it's really nice, resilient, and a much better choice than our single-point-of-failure NFS on BTRFS server boxes. But it's an uphill climb.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 1, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't lost any data in ceph yet, but I have lost weeks trying to figure out how to fix errors in the cluster, usually related to upgrades. It's absolutely not a plug and play product, you will end up in the weeds and learn more about ceph's internals than you ever wanted to.

I still generally like it, it's a much more stable networked file system than anything else I've admined. I really like being able to do OS updates without users ever noticing.

For local file systems I'm in love with zfs. Less of a learning curve (though you can make newbie mistakes that you'll regret later) and it "just works."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like bcachefs’s architecture and approach, I have to say. fsck that isnt a manual reimpl of the FS? testable in userspace? a very good start

we use btrfs underneath our servers and it seems fine

mystes
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

For local file systems I'm in love with zfs. Less of a learning curve (though you can make newbie mistakes that you'll regret later) and it "just works."
yeah this is not what I want in a filesystem lol

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

mystes posted:

yeah this is not what I want in a filesystem lol

you don't want a fs that just works?

mystes
May 31, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

you don't want a fs that just works?
it's more the "you can make newbie mistakes that you'll regret later" part that I don't want

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

After 15+ years with AIX all I want is JFS2 for Linux, and then I would be happy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mystes posted:

it's more the "you can make newbie mistakes that you'll regret later" part that I don't want

Well I ain't putting the os in zfs. But for data volumes and software raid? I wouldn't think twice. The admin tools and features are top notch.

You can shoot yourself in the foot with mdadm or lvm or unraid too, everything's got a learning curve. Zfs is just better once you get past that.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

xzzy posted:

Well I ain't putting the os in zfs. But for data volumes and software raid? I wouldn't think twice. The admin tools and features are top notch.

You can shoot yourself in the foot with mdadm or lvm or unraid too, everything's got a learning curve. Zfs is just better once you get past that.

Oh yeah that's basically common to any file system where you can make meaningful choices in configuration.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I need to run Cassandra for some dev tasks, don't like that it uses 8g of memory, but also don't want to remember to start it manually when I need it. Is this what inetd is for?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

spiritual bypass posted:

I need to run Cassandra for some dev tasks, don't like that it uses 8g of memory, but also don't want to remember to start it manually when I need it. Is this what inetd is for?

You certainly could, but if this is a computer with DIMM slots I'd encourage you to look at memory prices. I picked up 2x32GB in laptop SO-DIMMs last year for $120, and 64GB DDR4 desktop kits are under $100 now. New from retailers, I don't mean eBay hustling. Having 64 or 96GB of RAM is really nice and easy to do now. Not even expensive, like 1/3 the cost of any other component.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'm old enough to remember when that resin factory burned down in the early 90s and SIMMs were selling for over $100 per megabyte.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Other than the fact it appears that Wayland will eventually be the new standard, is there a compelling reason to switch to it in the meantime?

I've been running KDE with the proprietary Nvidia drivers, and every time I tried to use Wayland in the past it rendered my system unusable - it simply couldn't reach the desktop. I haven't tried again in the last few years, partly because everything has been working fine under x11 and I like KDE and don't want to switch to another DE.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Other than the fact it appears that Wayland will eventually be the new standard, is there a compelling reason to switch to it in the meantime?

I've been running KDE with the proprietary Nvidia drivers, and every time I tried to use Wayland in the past it rendered my system unusable - it simply couldn't reach the desktop. I haven't tried again in the last few years, partly because everything has been working fine under x11 and I like KDE and don't want to switch to another DE.
I wouldn't switch if you're using the proprietary Nvidia drivers

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's been "eventually" for the last 15 years, however in the last ~18 months it feels like it's suddenly hitting the point of critical mass and maturity that 'eventually' now actually feels like a actual point in time and not an abstract concept. Personally I mostly interact with my linux PC over xRDP and the lack of a good RDP solution for wayland is what has so far kept me on x11. However KDE are working on a rdp server so there's now an actual route to me making the switch.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's pretty good and I feel like the performance under wayland seems better in general, plus if you're already using kde then you can keep using that with Wayland, so if you weren't using the proprietary Nvidia drivers I would say absolutely give it a try, but it's still buggy as gently caress with the proprietary Nvidia drivers

I switched to Wayland + plasma because I got a 4k monitor and it's nice in general but I ended up having to get a new video card because I was also using the proprietary Nvidia drivers and it was too buggy (maybe it would have been better with a more recent Nvidia GPU? I don't know)

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 6, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mystes posted:

It's pretty good and I feel like the performance under wayland seems better in general, plus if you're already using kde then you can keep using that with Wayland, so if you weren't using the proprietary Nvidia drivers I would say absolutely give it a try, but it's still buggy as gently caress with the proprietary Nvidia drivers

I switched to Wayland + plasma because I got a 4k monitor and it's nice in general but I ended up having to get a new video card because I was also using the proprietary Nvidia drivers and it was too buggy

Thanks - that confirms my general impression of the current state of affairs.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I have a 3080 on proprietary drivers and it’s pretty much been a nonstarter on Fedora with KDE. I need to read up on living with Wayland, though, just to see if I can’t tweak my way through poo poo to know what to expect ahead of time.

That said I just learned Plasma has built-in tiling now, with a setup that knocks PopShell out of the water in my mouse-using-peasant opinion. So take all my statements with that grain of salt in mind. (In my defense I switched off Gnome like a month ago.)

I also started using activities rather than just virtual desktops. Is there a way to set it so you have a different amount of virtual desktops per activity? For work I can make use of multiple virtual desktops but on the personal side two monitors more than addresses my needs.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
drat gonna have to bite the bullet eventually and get an AMD card 😔

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

I tried KDE + Wayland + nvidia (4090) today. Works fine but computer is non-functional after waking up from sleep.

This concludes my semi-annual Wayland test. Nvidia Still Broken.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yes, if you are at all sensitive to the mild jank that X has had forever.

I was flipping back and forth when I switched to linux a year and a half ago, and at the time I encountered some pretty wild bugs using KDE-Wayland... But I eventually decided I would rather deal with wild bugs in exchange for how it felt better. X has always had a feel to me that is like a few grains of sand in a sandwich, extremely small but super annoying. Wayland felt just as good as Windows to me. (Better actually, once I got everything in KDE like effects & animation speeds just right.)

OTOH I have an AMD GPU so haven't experienced the Nvidia problems. All the wild bugs I saw got fixed such that by a year ago it was pretty solid.

And if you're 100% used to X so it doesn't feel at all deficient, none of that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

It might be better with an actual desktop environment with a compositor on x11, but before I switched to a 4k monitor I was using a 2k monitor and it was already barely usable with i3 on X11, because with a lot of stuff open it would get incredibly slow switching virtual desktops

Wayland feels incredibly smooth and the fractional scaling works great in kde (basically I have it scaled so it normally looks similar to what it looked like when I was using a 2k monitor but it's sharper, and when I want to I can scale the font size down and still have it be legible), so even though I had to get a new video card I'm pretty happy with the result