Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

When you say Star Trek insurrection sucks even the most die hard Star trek fan will go “haha yep”

Hell even the director would say haha yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

On the other hand you won’t get the people defending Star Trek’s honor like you would for Star Wars. Like if you say rogue one sucks you’ll get a couple nerds popping out about how actually it’s great because it’s got darth Vader and world building and actually the characters are supposed to suck. When you say Star Trek insurrection sucks even the most die hard Star trek fan will go “haha yep”

*raises eyebrow quizzically

But that's only logical.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the really lousy entries in st are mostly accepted by people who don't view any media critically. it's not that bad, it's pretty good, there's a reference i recognize. i know people like this, and i've learned to never discussed trek with them.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

actual real-life activities inspired by star wars: 0
actual real-life activities inspired by star trek: 1 but it's the ultimate evolution of martial arts

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

!notify me when podracing is real

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Endless Trash posted:

Hell even the director would say haha yep

But have nothing bad to say about the people he worked with because he’s such a chill dude.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I feel like DS9 has the best first season run over all the other Star Treks except maybe Star Trek Strange New Worlds because its got bangers through out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dabir posted:

Wasn't that Mike Stoklasa's pitch for a better Picard show

Better? Oh gently caress no. Mike's Star Trek show pitch was "What if we just did Star Trek: Voyager again, only it's Picard, Geordi, Leah Brahms and Gerodi's kids on a Galaxy-class ship flying around the galaxy doing problem of the week things, but it's on a ship that looks like the Enterprise-D and sets that look like the Enterprise-D so it makes my boomer brain happy because things I remember from the 90s are on screen again because Star Trek stopped for me when TNG ended."

And then Terry Matalas went "hold my loving beer, Mike."

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I feel like DS9 has the best first season run over all the other Star Treks except maybe Star Trek Strange New Worlds because its got bangers through out.

Every time I start a rewatch of DS9 I'm reminded of this. It's easy to remember that the pilot is really something special, but then Duet comes like 5 episodes later? And it doesn't let up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Big Mac posted:

Every time I start a rewatch of DS9 I'm reminded of this. It's easy to remember that the pilot is really something special, but then Duet comes like 5 episodes later? And it doesn't let up.

Yeah its got some great episodes. I also really like Season 1 Sisko.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

On the other hand you won’t get the people defending Star Trek’s honor like you would for Star Wars. Like if you say rogue one sucks you’ll get a couple nerds popping out about how actually it’s great because it’s got darth Vader and world building and actually the characters are supposed to suck. When you say Star Trek insurrection sucks even the most die hard Star trek fan will go “haha yep”

lol yeah. A couple weeks ago I came across a dude on YouTube who was like "the musical episode of Strange New Worlds is an insult to the serious and prestigious legacy of Star Trek" and I was like "Star Trek? The show that had an episode where Abraham Lincoln flew through space on a giant throne to recruit Kirk and Spock to help him fight Genghis Khan in a battle royale tournament? THAT Star Trek?" and got immediately blocked by him. It was great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
LMAO at Sisko just stone cold phasering Bashir after he gets taken over by some alien. "Its me" Phasers immediately.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Hollismason posted:

Frankly Prodigy probably had the best first season but it's definitely a different kind of thing being a planned arc rather than individual eps like the others

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

LD, prodigy, and snw all had better first seasons than ds9 did.

Ds9 has the best first season of "mid" trek, basically everything between TOS and the first JJ movie.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

nine-gear crow posted:

Better? Oh gently caress no. Mike's Star Trek show pitch was "What if we just did Star Trek: Voyager again, only it's Picard, Geordi, Leah Brahms and Gerodi's kids on a Galaxy-class ship flying around the galaxy doing problem of the week things, but it's on a ship that looks like the Enterprise-D and sets that look like the Enterprise-D so it makes my boomer brain happy because things I remember from the 90s are on screen again because Star Trek stopped for me when TNG ended."

To be fair I would like the sets to look like the nineties ones again. Soft lighting, beiges, and everything being cushioned activates the comfy neurons. However SNW might have improved the sets over discopicard they’re still “harsher”. Though a lot of that is nothing to do with trek and more just how modern shows are made.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't forget that they deliberately made the Titan in picard harsh and uninviting and no carpet because they wanted to up the nostalgia of the Enterprise-D bridge scenes gently caress you matalis.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

galagazombie posted:

To be fair I would like the sets to look like the nineties ones again. Soft lighting, beiges, and everything being cushioned activates the comfy neurons. However SNW might have improved the sets over discopicard they’re still “harsher”. Though a lot of that is nothing to do with trek and more just how modern shows are made.

I still can't loving believe that the Picard show didn't do some kind of callback or reference to this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCnOstkvNR4

But with Picard now in Scotty's role, saying that the Enterprise-D is the only ship he thinks of, and the only one he misses.

"Here's to you, lads."

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Woulda owned for him to sing that terrible ship song his duplicate sings when he gets kidnapped that one time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

That is in fact better than Picard.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Mirror universe old Jake Sisko is just The Candyman

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean I always said I would love to see a bit of a Galaxy Class with modern tech. After all, they could do so much that they conceptualised back in 1987 but had trouble actually showing, things with the scale of the ship and the whole flying city concept, what with modern CG and Volume set extensions and... wait why did that monkey paw just curl

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Do we REALLY need cetacean ops?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

John Murdoch posted:

Do we REALLY need cetacean ops?

...yes? Obviously?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm surprised we haven't seen an away mission with Matt or Kimolu yet.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I mean I always said I would love to see a bit of a Galaxy Class with modern tech. After all, they could do so much that they conceptualised back in 1987 but had trouble actually showing, things with the scale of the ship and the whole flying city concept, what with modern CG and Volume set extensions and... wait why did that monkey paw just curl

Main shuttle bay!!!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The galaxy class should transform into humanoid mode. The nacelles fold out to be the legs, the sauce separates and splits into three reattaching as the arms and torso, and the Captain's yacht forms the head.

protodependency
Jun 10, 2022
the Pakleds aren't stupid. they are just really high. high on some kind of space weed. it's why they are all fat. they always have the munchies

protodependency
Jun 10, 2022
also ensign suder had it figured out. how to not have to do any work on a 70 year journey

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

AND they full stop did moriarty dirty

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well they didn't really do Moriarty anything, that was just a security check generated by the Soong androids bizarre broken memory

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Well they didn't really do Moriarty anything, that was just a security check generated by the Soong androids bizarre broken memory

turn on ur internal chromonitor

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The galaxy class should transform into humanoid mode. The nacelles fold out to be the legs, the sauce separates and splits into three reattaching as the arms and torso, and the Captain's yacht forms the head.

I hate it when the sauce separates

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Picard s3 wanted to be shameless nostalgia pandering so bad yet missed the most obvious hook of a TNG Legion of Doom made of Lore’s reactivated body, Moriarty, Tomalok/Seska, Conspiracy bugs, Armus, uhh… Duras’s bastard son?, And whatever other big villains that never got offed on screen.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

GolfHole posted:

AND they full stop did moriarty dirty

Picard season 3 had me slightly excited that they were going to do something good or interesting when Moriarty showed up... But like everything else, it was a let down.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why would dragging out moriarty be good? it could possibly make for a halfway decent ld gag, but that's about it.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

why would dragging out moriarty be good? it could possibly make for a halfway decent ld gag, but that's about it.

It COULD be good

It's much more likely to be bad

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

The sentient hologram idea was already done way better with the Doctor on Voyager, I'm really meh on Moriarty having a whole plot arc even though they did trap him in the matrix.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

GolfHole posted:

!notify me when podracing is real

Rally B group got banned in the 80s or 90s.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

protodependency posted:

the Pakleds aren't stupid. they are just really high. high on some kind of space weed. it's why they are all fat. they always have the munchies

Space munchies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Picard s3 wanted to be shameless nostalgia pandering so bad yet missed the most obvious hook of a TNG Legion of Doom made of Lore’s reactivated body, Moriarty, Tomalok/Seska, Conspiracy bugs, Armus, uhh… Duras’s bastard son?, And whatever other big villains that never got offed on screen.

It missed the mark on the bridge sounds too. Why the gently caress are there so many TOS sounds in Picard S3?