Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Lockback posted:

Everyone is going to blame the first manager who left and this guy probably won't take the fall but it's funny to watch him flip out.

It’s not the best look for salty Mc salt face, but he isn’t going to get in any kind of meaningful trouble over it. The universally disliked boss I had for a bit who quit for a promotion at another place was spoken highly of by plant manager in his “hand over the reigns to family friend of CEO” meeting. But that plant manager was a pussy yes man so what else would you expect.

What no one will dare do is to tell the truth that corporate hosed up and created this by not backfilling staff, hollow promises of support etc. for what sounds like literally years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Eric the Mauve posted:

You weren't before?

I never had much interaction with him before although I’ve worked in a lot of the same places over the years.

Ironically another shared coworker from way back reminded me that prior to being in management he has left a company in pursuit of other options as well and it was even more of an issue because he did it shortly before a major customer firmware release drop. So the things he’s accusing me of doing he actually did about 10 years ago lmao.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

priznat posted:

I never had much interaction with him before although I’ve worked in a lot of the same places over the years.

Ironically another shared coworker from way back reminded me that prior to being in management he has left a company in pursuit of other options as well and it was even more of an issue because he did it shortly before a major customer firmware release drop. So the things he’s accusing me of doing he actually did about 10 years ago lmao.

Every accusation a confession.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Sundae posted:

The USA is relatively prudish about anything that could be construed as sexual in the first place, the majority of states have made nude beaches illegal or heavily restrict them, some don't allow minors at all, etc etc. There is almost no social circle in the USA where you could tell people that you took your 14-yr-old son to a nude beach and not raise eyebrows at best / be ostracized at worst, and (no idea on the odds, but...) nobody would be surprised when the police visited you if it was your 14-yr-old daughter instead.

That's American culture, not just corporate culture here.

Yeah, it was absolutely wild. There was no relevance to the rest of the conversation. This is in South Florida and at a F500 company for reference.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

priznat posted:

it's always projection, every time

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Tnuctip posted:

That sounds like a super passive aggressive gently caress you.

Yeah you’re right, I really shouldn’t come back here unless they promote me again beyond what I’m at now. From what my manager has said I’ve been the most productive electronics technician to set foot in this lab in the 26 years he’s been here and it’s not even close. Taking a paycut would be insulting to me

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Sundae posted:

Someone needs to remind career advisors that it's not just if you're memorable to the interviewer, but how you're memorable too. "Well, his scientific knowledge was sub-par but he definitely put his almost-naked rear end in our faces in the presentation. Does that count for anything?"

yeah he deserves a raise

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The raise he already had was part of the problem.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Hotel Kpro posted:

Yeah you’re right, I really shouldn’t come back here unless they promote me again beyond what I’m at now. From what my manager has said I’ve been the most productive electronics technician to set foot in this lab in the 26 years he’s been here and it’s not even close. Taking a paycut would be insulting to me

I’m certainly not knocking technicians, but how many techs has that lab promoted out and up over those 26 years?

At a previous place the answer was 4 over 20 years…..

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Tnuctip posted:

I’m certainly not knocking technicians, but how many techs has that lab promoted out and up over those 26 years?

Yep, the curse of productivity.
At a lot of places, you only get promoted out of individual contributor roles if your networking and people skills are better than your productivity, because then it's a net gain for the company. So...

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Four out of five members of my team have complained about the new executive they hired over me. Not boding well for them, or for us.

But ain't gonna be my problem soon, as I got a verbal offer at a new place, and plan to give my notice at the end of the week or so

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Omne posted:

Four out of five members of my team have complained about the new executive they hired over me. Not boding well for them, or for us.

But ain't gonna be my problem soon, as I got a verbal offer at a new place, and plan to give my notice at the end of the week or so

Congrats, it's been a journey for you. Glad you're out of that place.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Tnuctip posted:

I realized that was going to be my career path if I stayed a technician years ago. There’s nothing quite like working alongside a guy who’s 50 years older than you doing the same poo poo everyday to motivate someone to find something else.

That being said I wouldn’t mind doing it part time when I’m way older. It can be a cake job in the right circumstances

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Omne posted:

Don’t give your notice til that offer is in writing & signed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Interim manager just posted this on LinkedIn to replace the person who left.. 5 people before I did

quote:

Looking to STEP-UP and take on new challenges with an exceptional team of talented engineers?
Would you EMBRACE working alongside industry veterans with an extensive proven track record to deliver new technology?
Seeking a STABLE opportunity that brings career GROWTH with LEARNING opportunities?

The all caps emphasis words just exude crazy desperation yikes

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm the extraneous hyphen

You guys can be the various baldfaced lies in the third line

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Work is mandating company phones for every exempt employee and removing access to slack email and everything else from non authorized devices. So I get an iPhone 15 that I have to lug around now too since I refuse to use a work device as my personal phone. drat it. I guess now I can take nicer cat photos since my personal phone is a pixel 3a?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Car Hater posted:

Lmao I want to be on the call between the two of them just to :munch:

Personal news, I've exhausted my tolerance (and good weather) for building decks and working on friends houses, and have fallen rear end-backwards into somehow having 3 offers to choose from. Two would keep me as an IC in engineering, both involve a substantial move to exciting (and potentially hurricane-prone) new locales. The third keeps me in Detroit (better for family and current financial situation, but I'm sick of Detroit) but would have me as a project manager for our local utility. There are a few other factors to consider, like overwork at one IC role (45-50 a week expected), and the fact that the utility PM role is not direct hire. I'd be juggling some big projects but no reports or anything, and it would be nice to get out of my current field, but I do not trust them when they say it would likely be a year later that I get reviewed for conversion to direct. They've already been dragging rear end getting me the formal offer on account of a re-org so I feel kind of sketched out about the corporate BS levels, but to be fair the hiring manager has just stepped into his role and apparently doesn't have the clout to bend the necessary VP schedules to his whim, something about all offers getting signed at once and then that's it they're done hiring til next year.

What's the thread's take on the value of a PM role on a resume? Not as good as an actual manager, better than an IC? I'm reading it like a chance to put big numbers on there and get a chance to go just about anywhere in a couple years since solar is only going up and everyone needs power, but again the BS seems strong and I've learned to never trust a corporation (thanks BFC!)

Hey there! Good to hear you're making some traction. We're in a straight hiring freeze while we await the outcome of our rate case and this new legislation going through the house will dramatically shift our investments to more renewables off of the distribution system (yay power outages coming). I haven't forgotten about you, but have absolutely nothing I can do with your information at the moment.

If you do take on the PM role, hit me up as I can help you onboard and get to know the lay of the land, etc.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spikes32 posted:

Work is mandating company phones for every exempt employee and removing access to slack email and everything else from non authorized devices. So I get an iPhone 15 that I have to lug around now too since I refuse to use a work device as my personal phone. drat it. I guess now I can take nicer cat photos since my personal phone is a pixel 3a?

I way prefer to use my personal phone for work stuff and just setup profiles/notification schedules. But I think the general thread view is preferring separate phones. There's pluses and minuses I guess.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
To be fair it’s only recently that phone OSs and apps have added a base level of separation between work and personal profiles that let you have work stuff on your personal phone without giving your employer root access to your device

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lockback posted:

I way prefer to use my personal phone for work stuff and just setup profiles/notification schedules. But I think the general thread view is preferring separate phones. There's pluses and minuses I guess.

Well the minus is if you leave the company the company can, and just might, remotely factory reset and lock your phone.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Lockback posted:

Congrats, it's been a journey for you. Glad you're out of that place.

Thanks, it's certainly been an adventure. My drinking is up approximately 137% because of this place. It's going to be good to not have to be The Man and build things from scratch, time to catch my breath after the past five years.

secular woods sex posted:

Don’t give your notice til that offer is in writing & signed.

No doubt. I don't do anything until the offer is signed, background check and reference checks (why?!?!) are done.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

TraderStav posted:

Hey there! Good to hear you're making some traction. We're in a straight hiring freeze while we await the outcome of our rate case and this new legislation going through the house will dramatically shift our investments to more renewables off of the distribution system (yay power outages coming). I haven't forgotten about you, but have absolutely nothing I can do with your information at the moment.

If you do take on the PM role, hit me up as I can help you onboard and get to know the lay of the land, etc.

Ah thanks! That's pretty reassuring actually, makes more sense than the reasons the recruiter gave. They actually told me I'm the one back in mid-September and have been slow-walking me with expectations of a formal offer and start date every week or two since then. Last update was "end of the month" but I take it I shouldn't hold my breath today eh? TBH, I'll probably just use it all as an excuse to wring more PTO out of em.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well the minus is if you leave the company the company can, and just might, remotely factory reset and lock your phone.

It's this. This is why you don't allow MDM on your personal device.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

There's an older female coworker at my job, she enjoys flexing her seniority and what power she perceives she has over the newer hires. I treat her respectfully but try to avoid interaction. Lately, she's taken a liking to calling out to me when I pass by her office and berating me for not saying good morning to her, her tone of voice is usually condescending and it makes me very uncomfortable since I'm a grown man being given a talking down to like I'm a child. I'm usually in a rush, which is why I don't say anything, but also partly due to the fact I want to keep interactions to a minimum since I know the good morning isn't about the act of saying good morning, but more about getting me to do what she wants. She also seems to just not like me for whatever reason and any interaction we do have is usually her chiding me for some tiny affront.

The most recent pointless spat is due to the fact I made the mistake of interacting with her. Her and some colleagues had given some presentations on our work flows to other departments, it was kind of a big deal due to the sheer amount of attendees. Myself and the other new hires couldn't attend the presentation because we had a clashing meeting that we weren't allowed to reschedule. I stopped by her office and told her I stumbled on the presentation slides and thought they were great, and I'd love to attend the next presentation to see our people in action. She didn't take the compliment and instead started accusing me of snooping and opening files I shouldn't be opening?? I told her the presentation was on our department network and I wasn't snooping. She just continued to claim I was being nosey and I shouldn't open stuff. I gave up and told her alright and left.

When I got back to my office, I sent her an email with a link to our department folder and told her I was accessing some of my files and saw the presentation, and since I wanted to know what I missed, I opened it. I did the whole "Dear <Mean Lady>," thingy, explained how I came across the file, and then finished with a sentence along the lines of "I am only explaining because you told me I was being nosey, which I found hurtful even if it was a joke". I didn't sign off with my name though.

She responded back telling me to limit emails to professional purposes only and if I (written "if u") had any comments about our conversation, to go to her office. This seems to be a recurring theme with people who are jerks, they don't like things written down. They always prefer in-person conversations.

Anyway, this whole situation is ridiculous and it makes me groan. I'm a grown man who let something so silly get under my skin, to the point where I'm venting to internet strangers. Should I have bothered sending the email in the first place? I'll admit I subconsciously sent it to let her know her behaviour wasn't on.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Communicate exclusively through email going forward, including the requested good morning. Walk by her without acknowledging her, sit at your desk, and send the email.

More seriously, definitely email a lot to provide evidence that is likely to be contrary to any stories she's going to start whipping up about you. Congrats, you got yourself a work nemesis.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
You should not have sent the email, especially if your original intent is to avoid interaction. Her mind was already made up. At that point you’re just poking the bear hive or whatever

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Yeah the email was a bad choice....but 100% it would have been something else they'd make a stink about with you, so it really was just the first point of escalation.

I'd start a (private) document, noting all interactions and comments this person gives you. You may need that contemporaneous account later.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I guess I just let the jabs she's been taking at me these past few months get to me. The accusations of being nosey just for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat was enough to make me want to antagonize her back. Is this all work really boils down to? Just the same old highschool drama we thought we'd grow out of? There's so many people who act like her, not necessarily directed at me but to others and there's so much lovely gossip. I'm no saint and I definitely have my own flaws but I try not to be an rear end in a top hat or gossip. My mantra is if you're spending 8 hours a day 5 days a week with a group of people, at least try to make it a somewhat enjoyable experience.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 31, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Put an Excel sheet on the shared drive titled "Salaries" and inside have "You nosey bitch" in cell A1 and nothing else.

E: don't actually do this

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

Put an Excel sheet on the shared drive titled "Salaries" and inside have "You nosey bitch" in cell A1 and nothing else.

E: don't actually do this

I love this idea, but to maintain anonymity, I could slide a sealed envelope with no addressee on it under her door. I'll take your beautifully written "You nosey bitch" and put it in the envelope. Then when she comes to my office to complain, I'll tell her to limit office visits to unprofessional purposes only.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Qubee posted:

...Is this all work really boils down to? Just the same old highschool drama we thought we'd grow out of? ...

Yahhhhhh..... poo poo.

So, the first thing you have to do when you go in is find the biggest employee in the building, walk right up to them, and punch them in the face. You might lose the fight, but everyone will know from then on that you aren't to be hosed with.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I would say just ignore her entirely to the extent that is feasible. And yeah make sure any interactions you actually need to have with her are in writing.

comedy option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1lVwpPLSx0

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

(I am not sure if you should be Millie or Frank Fingerman in the above scenario. Either would probably be effective.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sadly work environments are often chock full of assholes and especially embittered ones. It's best to just keep it professional and rise above because engaging at their level will invariably end up bad for you because they've had more practice at it.

One time I lost my temper at a group who would gather in the kitchenette near my cube after asking them several times over a period of weeks to keep it down. The last time they replied "hey man chill out" and I told them "what the gently caress are you even doing here?? Do you do anything other than yap in the kitchen all day? It doesn't seem like it!" and because of my outburst I was seen as the "problem" one. I had mentioned it to my manager several times but was just sick of the constant distraction. Seriously they'd just be in there for an hour+ at a time several times a day. Although I did get a cube move out of it, but I still realize it wasn't the best move. Always just go upwards to your manager with grievances imo.

priznat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 31, 2023

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Qubee posted:

I love this idea, but to maintain anonymity, I could slide a sealed envelope with no addressee on it under her door. I'll take your beautifully written "You nosey bitch" and put it in the envelope. Then when she comes to my office to complain, I'll tell her to limit office visits to unprofessional purposes only.

The correct move is to ignore her, but if you decide to needlessly escalate, the typical move is called "clipping her wings"
- Ask anyone that could conceivably be your mentor for "advice" on how to deal with her. Pretend you're trying to form a respectful working relationship with her while actually you're just sharing all the garbage she's done.
- Occasionally mention nasty things she does to peers and whatnot. You have to drop it as either an obstacle to a work step (you're trying to help!!) or as if you're not even thinking about it.

If you do it right, you'll turn everyone against her and limit her ability to cause trouble since everybody will be onto her poo poo. You need to never seem angry or show emotion, whoever is angry loses. You also can't be seen as vengeful or as stirring drama. You are the logical upstanding person trying to be nice and professional, so if she complains she seems like the crazy one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tomfoolery posted:

If you do it right, you'll turn everyone against her and limit her ability to cause trouble since everybody will be onto her poo poo. You need to never seem angry or show emotion, whoever is angry loses. You also can't be seen as vengeful or as stirring drama. You are the logical upstanding person trying to be nice and professional, so if she complains she seems like the crazy one.

this is 100% true and being able to keep calm is a true power move I wish I had learned earlier. Let other people go off. Just disassociate if you have to.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Omne posted:

Glad you're out!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Reasons to have a company phone:

#1) Turning off your own phone and not having the bill. (Inadvisable if you actually use your phone for anything really)
#2) Looking important when you're really a fool.

Reasons not to have a company phone:

#1) Getting called at 12:04AM, 1:10AM, and then again at 4:30AM the day before you are leaving on vacation, because people are only just now dealing with your poo poo because they realized you're out the door tomorrow.
#2) Every other possible reason.

The only saving grace is that at least that QA fucker who kept calling me had to be awake during all those times too. :suicide:

Also, whoever at Apple designed that "X has notifications turned off. Notify them anyway?" option can GO TO HELL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lockback posted:

Yeah there's legit arguments for both sides. I'm a mountain boy who carries a backpack/pannier everywhere so I don't mind carrying the work phone during office hours.
From the company standpoint it's way easier to just spray phones at everyone and have the final say about what goes onto them and what doesn't.

Sundae posted:

#1) Getting called at 12:04AM, 1:10AM, and then again at 4:30AM the day before you are leaving on vacation, because people are only just now dealing with your poo poo because they realized you're out the door tomorrow.
#2) Every other possible reason.
Skill issue (turn it the gently caress off). And enjoy the breaaaaaak :)