Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

The cat like all cat knows that nation states are made up and no land belongs to anybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bestselling passenger automobile in each state:

Vanishingly rare Florida ‘W’.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

RIP California.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Minenfeld! posted:

RIP California.

Yeah that's shocking

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Despite all of its problems, the American automotive industry must still be doing quite well if the most popular car in the majority of states is American-made.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Personally I yearn for the days when everyone is Florida and the F series is outlawed

Seen enough assholes in white ford trucks in the F series states to be immediately more defensive if one is near, as driver or pedestrian

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Personally I yearn for the days when everyone is Florida and the F series is outlawed

Seen enough assholes in white ford trucks in the F series states to be immediately more defensive if one is near, as driver or pedestrian

Same except replace F series with literally any BMW or Cadillac

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the rise of the suv sucks so much. i've been looking for a new or used station wagon for a bit now and it's basically gone extinct. so much better than a goddamn suv or truck.

we americans are really bad at cars despite being totally in love with them. the only benefit is i know the odds of anyone with a huge truck being completely awful is near 100%.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Bestselling passenger automobile in each state:

Vanishingly rare Florida ‘W’.
A few years old, but still:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

DTurtle posted:

A few years old, but still:

The reason the Smart Fortwo is so popular in Monaco is that most other cars are large enough to ensure that the trunk will always be in France.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I didn't expect the chinese to be driving vw's.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Florida is 16 years older than the ridiculous concept of a "unified" Italy.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
One of the finer pleasures in life as a North American who has lived in various European countries is trolling Italians and Germans of the "ah, but your country is so young" variety about how young their countries are.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The joke was Naples but the real joke is that Northern Italy Man is as noxious as his Florida Man equivalent.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

MeinPanzer posted:

One of the finer pleasures in life as a North American who has lived in various European countries is trolling Italians and Germans of the "ah, but your country is so young" variety about how young their countries are.

You only troll yourself by implying you only put stock into nerdy poo poo like governmental treaties and constitutions when determining what constitutes a country :smuggo:

But it is kinda fun how complicated something like that can get. Like I'm from Finland and officially the country has veen around since 1917. Buuut is it really a country when it doesn't have independent trade policy, monetary policy and more and more loosing the leeway in independent foreign policy? So Finland hasn't been a country since like 2009 when treaty of Lisbon came into effect. Or if it still is, then by that logic wouldn't it have been a country since 19th century when Finland was autonomous?

Like I said, nerdy poo poo. Maybe being a country is more of a feeling, if you and people around you feel like one, you're a country :colbert:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Canada only beca0me a country in 1982.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Things have been called countries (or contres or whatever) long before they were sovereign nation states, so :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Glah posted:

You only troll yourself by implying you only put stock into nerdy poo poo like governmental treaties and constitutions when determining what constitutes a country :smuggo:

unlike cool reasons to have a country like ethnicity or fiefdoms that accidentally survived ww1

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

i say swears online posted:

unlike cool reasons to have a country like ethnicity or fiefdoms that accidentally survived ww1

Cool reasons like shared feeling of solidarity.

Imperialist powers use uncool reasons like some dusty legal papers in their capital to delegitimize laid back feeling based countries so imperialists can subjugate other people easier.:colbert:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
End national boundaries

Keep subnational boundaries

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Let's switch to NUTS-2

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The US should just abolish states and use MSAs or combine MPOs with shared boundaries.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

mobby_6kl posted:

Let's switch to NUTS-2

Deuce nuts

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Geographic lines should be drawn via local slang for food or soda.

"Start in Sodaberg, go south until you hit Coketown, then head west until you reach Popville. If you hit the Zaxby's Line, then you've gone too far."

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

sherman's colony drop on the sea

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Why does the Republic of Florida have a New York flag?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Canada only beca0me a country in 1982.

Same monarch, same country. Canada's still a subsidiary of Britain.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Byzantine posted:

Same monarch, same country. Canada's still a subsidiary of Britain.

Also still same (office of the ) Governor General. And still same crown corporation owning crown lands.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Groda posted:

Florida is 16 years older than the ridiculous concept of a "unified" Italy.

Despite Miami-Dade being Spanish-speaking, Florida probably is a lot more unified than Italy

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I don't know about that. I spent my teens through college years in Florida, and the overwhelming majority of people are from somewhere else.

The people who choose to live in Florida frequently have a very libertarian bent to their world view. Like the way a lot of housing development happens in "unincorporated" parts of various counties. My parent's Tampa suburb has a population over 100k yet it's just a name on a map. It has no town hall, downtown or city government of any kind despite having the population of a decent sized city. Gotta avoid paying taxes at all costs!

There is zero sense of community, just endless sprawling suburbs of landscaped streets and identical houses full of people that don't think the government could ever do anything to benefit anybody. Some of them get fired up about using the government against their "enemies" though!

There's pockets of "real" Florida throughout the state but they are massively outnumbered by all the new developments of the past few decades. But for most Floridians all of their needs will be met by one of the countless strip malls around them, and maybe they can take the family to Red Lobster or Cheesecake Factory, as a treat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also the Pensacola dialect and the Key West dialect are mutually unintelligible

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Well, Italy's (and Germany's) relatively recent unification are probably a factor in them retaining more cultural diversity than something like France, which of course had centralized authority put in a lot of effort into homogenizing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mustang posted:

I don't know about that. I spent my teens through college years in Florida, and the overwhelming majority of people are from somewhere else.
Unified by having the kind of brain that convinces one to move to Florida.

Mustang posted:

The people who choose to live in Florida frequently have a very libertarian bent to their world view. Like the way a lot of housing development happens in "unincorporated" parts of various counties. My parent's Tampa suburb has a population over 100k yet it's just a name on a map. It has no town hall, downtown or city government of any kind despite having the population of a decent sized city. Gotta avoid paying taxes at all costs!

There is zero sense of community, just endless sprawling suburbs of landscaped streets and identical houses full of people that don't think the government could ever do anything to benefit anybody. Some of them get fired up about using the government against their "enemies" though!

There's pockets of "real" Florida throughout the state but they are massively outnumbered by all the new developments of the past few decades. But for most Floridians all of their needs will be met by one of the countless strip malls around them, and maybe they can take the family to Red Lobster or Cheesecake Factory, as a treat.
Seems like they're more unified culturally/ideologically/spiritually than most countries.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mustang posted:

How does a suburb like that handle things like road maintenance, sewage, police etc.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Count Roland posted:

How does a suburb like that handle things like road maintenance, sewage, police etc.

texas has Municipal Utility Districts which operate similarly. usually they shell out cash to import services from real cities

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Phlegmish posted:

Despite Miami-Dade being Spanish-speaking, Florida probably is a lot more unified than Italy

Well, linguistically, at least...

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Unified by having the kind of brain that convinces one to move to Florida.

Seems like they're more unified culturally/ideologically/spiritually than most countries.

Definitely true to an extent, it's very much a "gently caress you, got mine" type of place. But few of them will ever claim to be Floridians, they're still New Yorkers, Georgians, Bostonians, or wherever the hell they're from.

Count Roland posted:

It's handled by the county, which doesn't do a particularly good job at anything. During rush hour the subdivisions a few miles past my parent's can take 30 minutes to reach the highway, and then another 30-45 minutes of commute to get wherever they work. Traffic congestion just gets worse and worse every year, and they still keep making these huge subdivisions without the infrastructure to support them. Public transportation is practically nonexistent in Florida. But you can ride a lovely little street car from downtown Tampa to Ybor City (nightlife neighborhood of Tampa)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mustang posted:

Definitely true to an extent, it's very much a "gently caress you, got mine" type of place. But few of them will ever claim to be Floridians, they're still New Yorkers, Georgians, Bostonians, or wherever the hell they're from.
This is what's known as false consciousness.