Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gridfinity looks cool I might try that for a drawer of very specific stuff but would take my very lightly modified ender 3 about a year of continuous printing to kit out the whole garage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
For those of y'all who might need such a thing, Tekton now sells torque wrenches with calibration certificates.

https://www.tekton.com/3-8-inch-drive-split-beam-torque-wrench-trq62103

https://www.tekton.com/1-2-inch-drive-split-beam-torque-wrench-trq62203

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Those do look nice. I've been looking for a 3/8 in that range for a bit, but I wrote off Tekton because I'm not a big fan of my 1/2" one I bought a few years ago. The scale isn't terribly well lined up, so I'm never sure if I'm correct or +/- 10ftlbs. Maybe I'll take a gamble on the 3/8 and see how well it works around the home garage first.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Question:

Does anyone here that needs a cert of calibration NOT need to get it re-certified every year or two?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

PitViper posted:

Those do look nice. I've been looking for a 3/8 in that range for a bit, but I wrote off Tekton because I'm not a big fan of my 1/2" one I bought a few years ago. The scale isn't terribly well lined up, so I'm never sure if I'm correct or +/- 10ftlbs. Maybe I'll take a gamble on the 3/8 and see how well it works around the home garage first.

The ones with calibration paperwork are split beam and have a different scale altogether. Looks a lot less ambiguous. Also not super fond of the dial system they use with the micrometer ones, so might give it a go for a 3/8” wrench. We’ll see.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 1, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

slidebite posted:

Question:

Does anyone here that needs a cert of calibration NOT need to get it re-certified every year or two?

Realistically you should be getting it re-cert/recalibrated every time you drop it too. I doubt anyone’s doing that.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure the newer stuff is much better, but I recently I compared my 1/2" Tekton torque wrench against a digital torque wrench on some wheel lug nuts, and there was a 20 ft pound difference between the two (90 ft lbs target).

Granted I generally stick with the German torque standard of gudentight, but even I was surprised at the discrepancy. Could be both are way off too, I should at least try checking the calibration with some weights

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Realistically you should be getting it re-cert/recalibrated every time you drop it too. I doubt anyone’s doing that.

I have gotten my Harbor Freight torque wrenches recalibrated every time I've dropped them...technically.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Catatron Prime posted:

I'm sure the newer stuff is much better, but I recently I compared my 1/2" Tekton torque wrench against a digital torque wrench on some wheel lug nuts, and there was a 20 ft pound difference between the two (90 ft lbs target).

Granted I generally stick with the German torque standard of gudentight, but even I was surprised at the discrepancy. Could be both are way off too, I should at least try checking the calibration with some weights

I work in computers for a living, which naturally makes me tech/digital averse but I absolutely love my snap on digital torque wrench. If you keep fresh batteries in it it stays dead on. Yes yes, you're supposed to get them calibrated but when you have a style that uses a load cell it's extremely unlikely it's going to lose calibration in a way that's not catastrophically off and obvious. I'm not sending anything to the moon so this is plenty good enough for me.

Bonus, it does angle as well. In any orientation, and you can take multiple bites at it and it keeps adding angle until you get to your set point.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Well, yeah, but I mean if you *need* paperwork to prove calibration, like for work. Do you need to do it after X-months, year, etc? Typically something if you're ISO certified or have similar internal procedures.

We have to re-certify ours every year regardless if it came with a certificate. Now that I think of it, we might even need to certify a brand new one.

Don't even get me started on the "calibrated tape measure"

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

slidebite posted:

Well, yeah, but I mean if you *need* paperwork to prove calibration, like for work. Do you need to do it after X-months, year, etc? Typically something if you're ISO certified or have similar internal procedures.

We have to re-certify ours every year regardless if it came with a certificate. Now that I think of it, we might even need to certify a brand new one.

Don't even get me started on the "calibrated tape measure"

When I was working in aerospace manufacturing all of our measuring and torquing equipment were recertified quarterly, including the 6 inch rules.

It absolutely makes sense when the difference between assembling a half million dollar part to spec or destroying it is 10 in/lbs.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It really comes down to whatever accreditation spec you’re trying to hit. Some ISO stuff has tighter or looser intervals, depending on spec. If you’re not re-calibrating at a certain interval, or at least doing a verification, why spend the money to get a wrench with a cert?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's kinda my point - I don't think anyone who actually needs a wrench with a cert is going to buy one of these, so why bother. It's just sales fluff imho. I'd be curious to test one and see if it even meets its cert out of the box specs.

Speaking of, I really should test my personal 20 year 3/8 just to see how off it is.

Motronic posted:

I work in computers for a living, which naturally makes me tech/digital averse but I absolutely love my snap on digital torque wrench. If you keep fresh batteries in it it stays dead on. Yes yes, you're supposed to get them calibrated but when you have a style that uses a load cell it's extremely unlikely it's going to lose calibration in a way that's not catastrophically off and obvious. I'm not sending anything to the moon so this is plenty good enough for me.

Bonus, it does angle as well. In any orientation, and you can take multiple bites at it and it keeps adding angle until you get to your set point.
CDI Torque makes the Snap on torque products. They are *really* good.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's been a while since I watched it but (of course) project farm did a video on this, of interest is he tested them new out of the box, but also he did 1000 cycles on them and then tested them again and the precision was still good but accuracy had drifted by a measurable amount for the larger ones. Something like 5-18 ft lbs across ~20 devices. Of interest while snap-on was the second or third most accurate out of the box, after 1000 cycles it was accurate to like 3 ft lbs

That said next time I need to buy one I'll just buy the harbor freight second to worst model

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I view torque wrenches as a tool for being consistent...which could be consistently off a few pounds.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
A hardware store near me had a pretty good discount on induction bolt heaters, so i finally bit the bullet. After doing some suspension work yesterday I have to say it owns bones.

One thing I hadn't thought of before I bought it is that it heats through rust. With a propane torch, I usually have to spend some time picking away the scale rust to stop it from insulating the metal you want to heat underneath. In fact, most of the scale fell off from the thermal expansion, making it easy to fit a socket fully.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That seems like legitimately the most useful method, ive never looked into getting one myself despite living in the land of rust.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Can't be seized if its a liquid :buddy:

I rarely have need for one, but drat, I want one.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Can anyone recommend me a good riveting tool?

I'm looking to be able to set blind pop rivets. I don't think I'll actually need to do 1/4" rivets, but I wouldn't mind having that as an option. Unless it would make more sense to just get a smaller riveter with a pivoting head for ease of use?

I've got a pile of 1"x.5" square stock from a cheap gazebo kit that I was originally going to use for plant trellises, but I just hit on the idea of using it to build a parts bin organizer tower in the footlong gap between my new tool chest and the wall.

Eg this: https://garagespot.com/build-hardware-storage-cabinet/

But for packout bins: https://plumbingvans.com/product/parts-organizer-towerfits-6-milwaukeepackout-binssku-030008/

But with square stock, like a super lovely version of this nicely built tower: https://twitter.com/kevin2kelly/status/917871283139854336

Seems like it wouldn't be a hateful project, and since I don't have a great space for a welding work area, I think rivets would work nicely?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Astro pop rivet tool is pretty good

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

always be closing posted:

That seems like legitimately the most useful method, ive never looked into getting one myself despite living in the land of rust.
Conversely, I keep looking at them and blanch at the price.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Conversely, I keep looking at them and blanch at the price.

Yeah, I get it in a specialty kind of way that would be a nice to have, but I don't get that there is a vast amount of utility compared to an oxytorch which can do a lot more at seemingly similar prices.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I have been having a great time using a die filer (mini belt sander) from Makita to take out rusty fasteners on my old pickup project. With a suitably coarse 40 grit zirconia belt, you can plant the finger sized tip right on a rusted out carriage bolt or nut and precisely sand it to nothing in 30 seconds. Uses batteries pretty quickly, but I am super impressed by the tool. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VN9JG5D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I always wondered if you could do field acr or plumbing pipe brazing with one of those induction bolt heaters, and if its more convenient and oxidizes copper less than a torch

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I bet you could but the limitation is going to be that you need to loop it around the fastener to get the best transfer iirc. Hard to do that on a run of pipe.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

kastein posted:

I bet you could but the limitation is going to be that you need to loop it around the fastener to get the best transfer iirc. Hard to do that on a run of pipe.

There is a flexible line you can wrap around stuff in the induction kit. It's a bit cumbersome though, so more for stuck brake couplings than pipe. Also, copper isn't heated much by induction.

I'm not keeping oxygen or acetylene bottles in my house for fire safety and insurance reasons, so it was either induction or MAPP/air as an upgrade from propane/air. I'm happy, but I can see its not for everyone.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

So Amazon left a cordless grease gun at my front door.

I didn't order a grease gun.

I didn't order any power tools.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Sometimes there's sellers just trying to put fake reviews on their items by shipping random stuff to people, sometimes someone screwed up at a warehouse. Amazon has a reporting thing if you want to let them know:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G33XVXQPUV79Z2ZC

You don't need to return it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Congrats!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The problem now is that I need to buy a piece of heavy equipment to use it on...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The problem now is that I need to buy a piece of heavy equipment to use it on...

I bet Amazon has something they want you to you can buy...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You could just be the grease fairy, visiting construction sites at night and leaving no zerk unturned.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Catatron Prime posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good riveting tool?

I have the M12 riveter and it's excellent especially if you have to do say 50 rivets holding the sail track to mast or something. It's pricey tho.

I got one of these https://a.co/d/2IkpVF1 because I needed to do 1/4" rivets which are too big for the M12 and was very impressed with it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Big Taint posted:

I have the M12 riveter and it's excellent especially if you have to do say 50 rivets holding the sail track to mast or something. It's pricey tho.

I got one of these https://a.co/d/2IkpVF1 because I needed to do 1/4" rivets which are too big for the M12 and was very impressed with it.

Oh this is awesome! That just went into my cart. I was initially going to buy the Astro hand riveter, but stumbled across a new old stock Marson riveter so I snagged that instead. Depending on how this organizer tower turns out, I suspect I'm going to want to be able work with thicker stock and that one looks perfect for 1/4"!

I'm just excited because there are so many projects where rivets would be incredibly useful, but it's just not something I've ever really thought about. I just assumed most metalwork stuff I want to do would have to wait till I had a good shop space available for welding.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

MRC48B posted:

I always wondered if you could do field acr or plumbing pipe brazing with one of those induction bolt heaters, and if its more convenient and oxidizes copper less than a torch

back in the day I worked somewhere that was trying to use induction for soldering. it didn't really work because the heating was very localised. often the molten solder would just run out of the joints because the rest of the material was still cold.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

How did I ever work on cars without an M18 Impact Wrench? This thing is like magic, and if you don’t have one, you desperately need one.

We pulled the rear knuckle to change a CV and a bearing on my buddy’s Saab 9-3 XWD and we only needed to use a breaker bar where the torque wrench wouldn’t fit. This sucker spun off the axle nut like nobody’s business.

The only downside is the size/weight of the thing. It’s a little too long to fit in a lot of tight places, so I guess that means I need to pick up one of the stubby guys to supplement. The weight though! 6 pounds without a battery. Gotta do some curls with this thing.

Anyway, thank you Mr Milwaukee for making this magical tool.

That’s a ford fiesta for scale

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 12, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I have the mid torque model and it’s a great compromise between weight and power.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

How did I ever work on cars without an M18 Impact Wrench? This thing is like magic, and if you don’t have one, you desperately need one.

We pulled the rear knuckle to change a CV and a bearing on my buddy’s Saab 9-3 XWD and we only needed to use a breaker bar where the torque wrench wouldn’t fit. This sucker spun off the axle nut like nobody’s business.

The only downside is the size/weight of the thing. It’s a little too long to fit in a lot of tight places, so I guess that means I need to pick up one of the stubby guys to supplement. The weight though! 6 pounds without a battery. Gotta do some curls with this thing.

Anyway, thank you Mr Milwaukee for making this magical tool.

That’s a ford fiesta for scale

Got one of those MFs and with 1400 ftlbs in reverse I've only ever found one bolt, that it didn't move.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wesleywillis posted:

Got one of those MFs and with 1400 ftlbs in reverse I've only ever found one bolt, that it didn't move.
How many bolts did you snap?

I only have the fake Makita impact so maybe I'm just jealous :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I used my M18 1/2" impact for repairing some boat trailers. Trailers that may have never seen fresh water other than rain for many years. 1/2" and 5/8" galv bolts that were extremely co-dependent with their nuts. Everything would get a blast with PB and then the Milwaukee went at them.

Sometimes the whole bolt, sometimes not.

But they all turned.