Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

fsif posted:

Guess that means he's good?

He's decent, more than serviceable if you guys make a deep run and need depth and also, have a real D coord lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Ehhhh, our 5th-rounder is probably gonna be around pick 140 and their 3rd-rounder is probably gonna be around pick 90. It's nice to move up, but not for a good player on a reasonable contract. This does feel like a "stop questioning me, serfs" move from Gute.

edit: the Bills are my AFC team (Buffalo feels like the closest equivalent to Green Bay) so good for them at least

second edit: ...are we accumulating draft capital to help trade up for a QB?

surf rock fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 31, 2023

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Good Will Hrunting posted:

He's decent, more than serviceable if you guys make a deep run and need depth and also, have a real D coord lmao

If he's a passable starter he'll be our CB1.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

surf rock posted:

This does feel like a "stop questioning me, serfs" move from Gute.

It'd sting less if we had like anyone left on the team with leadership qualities. Bakhtiari is hurt and the rest of the offense aside from Aaron Jones are callow youths. Dillon is a mild-mannered keeps-to-himself type of guy.

Jaire lately has been straddling the line between braggadoccio and whining. Preston mostly keeps to himself. Clark and Rashan Gary are also both quiet types. We just don't have anyone with "fire" left.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

This is going to end in either a franchise or a transition tag.

I don't know the rules on this, but aren't you only allowed one? And they have Sweat who might require it since I think the Bears are dumb enough to not have an extension in place already for him.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

SKULL.GIF posted:

It'd sting less if we had like anyone left on the team with leadership qualities. Bakhtiari is hurt and the rest of the offense aside from Aaron Jones are callow youths. Dillon is a mild-mannered keeps-to-himself type of guy.

Jaire lately has been straddling the line between braggadoccio and whining. Preston mostly keeps to himself. Clark and Rashan Gary are also both quiet types. We just don't have anyone with "fire" left.

Let's bring back Cullen Jenkins to scream at everyone constantly again

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Niwrad posted:

I don't know the rules on this, but aren't you only allowed one? And they have Sweat who might require it since I think the Bears are dumb enough to not have an extension in place already for him.

This would be an all timer self own to the point where I just can't believe that's the case. No one is that dumb. I refuse to believe it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

You don't do that trade without a contract p much set in stone.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

You don't do that trade without a contract p much set in stone.

This is the Chicago Bears.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

You don't announce a head coach hiring without a contract in place either, but here we are

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I don't hate it on a rebuilding year and another to come. He carries a $9m cap hit next season and would either be extended or let walk. There was the issue of too many boundary CBs if Stokes can get healthy too.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

I don't hate it on a rebuilding year and another to come. He carries a $9m cap hit next season and would either be extended or let walk. There was the issue of too many boundary CBs if Stokes can get healthy too.

Isn't Stokes on IR (again)?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

SKULL.GIF posted:

Isn't Stokes on IR (again)?

Yeah, not a right now thing more of a if we had kept him thing. Team's not doing anything this year, who knows if they were planning to extend Douglas, so getting a decent return makes decent sense.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Both of the Vikings traded make sense. Ezra Cleveland wants to play OT and he wasn't pushing O'Neil or Darrisaw. He was a free agent at the end of the year as well.

Dobbs was a dirt cheap backup but also one who had started. If Hall is awful or gets hurt the team isn't completely sunk.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I think the Vikings only got Dobbs in case Hall is a complete disaster and then they don’t have to throw him to the wolves for the next few weeks if Mullens can’t play. That said, I hope they are planning to tank and move up in the draft. The Vikings aren’t going anywhere with this mediocre quarterback trio. They need a long-term quarterback solution and if Hall isn’t it, which he probs isn’t, they gotta draft somebody.

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 31, 2023

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

lol

https://twitter.com/kalynkahler/status/1719454193675604075?t=MtglNeWpaqIvkZU1RFRt2Q&s=19

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I was trying to remember which white guard it was that got abruptly cut from the team like 5 days before the regular season because he was disgruntled with the team's direction and lack of effort.

Josh Sitton!

That was the dumbest thing ever and part of why I hate it whenever people make Ted Thompson out to be a saint.

It went down like so:

Camp ends and before the regular season begins the media starts freaking out one afternoon that over the NFL wire it said Josh Sitton had been cut. Then the team puts out some super short thing that was like "Transactions: Josh Sitton, RELEASED".

Drooling old Ted would only meet with the media the like 1 or 2 times a year that he was required by the league to do so, other than that he refused to give press conferences. This put Fat Mike in the one re-ocuring situation that I felt bad for him where he had to give his weekly presser and was stuck giving half answers for Ted's stupid move that I think he honestly didn't agree with. In the case of Sitton we found out after the fact that he was getting a bit vocal in the locker room about the direction of the team, which in turn pissed Ted off so he dumped him 5 days before the season.

Then, months later, when Ted was finally giving a league mandated press conference, he was of course asked about Sitton as the first question. He gets this stupid loving grin and goes "oh well you know that we don't talk about players not on our team, so I have no comment".

Pure, classless bullshit and honestly the reason that I was fully in agreement with QAron when he first started bitching about the team and how they treated players (then of course came 2021 and yeahhh, I'm glad he's gone).

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I hope the Vikings never tank because A. Tanking is universally miserable to watch and destroys an organization from a motivation standpoint, B. I'd rather gamble on making a fluke playoff run than the bigger gamble of a draft pick, and C. More importantly, the rest of the team is REALLY solid right now. In particular we have a really good O-line, which can seriously elevate even a mediocre quarterback, along with excellent passing weapons and a defense that appears to be doing its job.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
How do in-season QB switches usually go? I feel like there isn't a ton of precedent for it. Baker beating the Raiders a day after joining the Rams was pretty awesome, I guess*.

* It loving wasn't awesome at all, it cost the Lions a shot at Witherspoon and they had to trade down and take Gibbs instead.**
** Who I love, so, it was loving awesome.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

MJeff posted:

How do in-season QB switches usually go? I feel like there isn't a ton of precedent for it. Baker beating the Raiders a day after joining the Rams was pretty awesome, I guess*.

* It loving wasn't awesome at all, it cost the Lions a shot at Witherspoon and they had to trade down and take Gibbs instead.**
** Who I love, so, it was loving awesome.

Got us Gibbs and Laporta right, worth it.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Are we sure getting Dobbs isn’t tanking

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hand Row posted:

Are we sure getting Dobbs isn’t tanking

He's a serviceable backup. Way better than Hall. I think it's more a sign the Cards are going for Caleb.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
After how much they talked up Crosby's Michigan connections on the Monday night game and seeing him play, trading for Donovan isn't what I had in mind for the feel good "Michigan native (and U of M player to boot) join the Lions for the season they might actually go deep in the playoffs" story. Still nice to pick up a player for basically nothing picks wise and add some depth with how injury prone we've been.

I'd prefer we were the one's trading second round picks for notable players and not INEXPLICABLY the bears, but hopefully this will all work out. Clearly the mindset of Lions management as well is to keep building on a good team and try to have sustained success and not hit the SELL EVERYTHING button at the first sign of success, which is the smart management and business decision (better to have an okay or good team for 5+ years than one great team for 1 year on the business side) and if it results in sustained quality and sustained wins for the Lions I'd be just fine with it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Niwrad posted:

He's a serviceable backup. Way better than Hall. I think it's more a sign the Cards are going for Caleb.

They're starting Kyler again soon and for all of his faults, I think he makes an already feisty Cards team easily too good to get Caleb.

The Bears have two bites at the proverbial apple and the Patriots and Packers are pretty hapless but the Giants literally cannot accrue any positive passing yards, so, uh, I dunno. My money's kind of on them.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

NowonSA posted:

After how much they talked up Crosby's Michigan connections on the Monday night game and seeing him play, trading for Donovan isn't what I had in mind for the feel good "Michigan native (and U of M player to boot) join the Lions for the season they might actually go deep in the playoffs" story. Still nice to pick up a player for basically nothing picks wise and add some depth with how injury prone we've been.

I'd prefer we were the one's trading second round picks for notable players and not INEXPLICABLY the bears, but hopefully this will all work out. Clearly the mindset of Lions management as well is to keep building on a good team and try to have sustained success and not hit the SELL EVERYTHING button at the first sign of success, which is the smart management and business decision (better to have an okay or good team for 5+ years than one great team for 1 year on the business side) and if it results in sustained quality and sustained wins for the Lions I'd be just fine with it.

I don't think Brad is interested in spending picks on guys you then have to sign to top 5 contracts, much the opposite. I'd have liked Maxx, but considering the Raiders didn't trade anybody including their 2 receivers who want nothing to do with the team, it's possible they just weren't interested in trading anyone.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Crosby is a one-man wrecking crew on defense and Adams has a similar effect on offense*. Trading either of them would've been admitting that the Raiders are hosed and have to blow it up and start over and you kinda can't do that without also admitting that McDaniels came in and immediately hosed everything up and hey, maybe they should've just stuck with Basaccia!

* When your lovely-rear end QB can actually throw the ball to him when he's running down the field, leaving his corner in the dust multiple times a game.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I understand trading rasul from a strategy perspective, but from a "what is gute thinking?" perspective I'm surprised he got rid of the guy who was essentially the one big sleeper find of his GM tenure.

Like, De'vondre was a good find but he was a known starting NFL linebacker

These practice squad surprise success stories are the only thing you can use to make yourself look good as a GM if you're a bad drafter, weird to cut bait on one imo

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MJeff posted:

They're starting Kyler again soon and for all of his faults, I think he makes an already feisty Cards team easily too good to get Caleb.

The Bears have two bites at the proverbial apple and the Patriots and Packers are pretty hapless but the Giants literally cannot accrue any positive passing yards, so, uh, I dunno. My money's kind of on them.

Bears kept Jaylon Johnson and added Sweat who theoretically should help their defense a bit. Panthers might be the best bet for the Bears to get the #1 pick.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Bears kept Jaylon Johnson and added Sweat who theoretically should help their defense a bit. Panthers might be the best bet for the Bears to get the #1 pick.

The bears are still awful

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

PupsOfWar posted:

I understand trading rasul from a strategy perspective, but from a "what is gute thinking?" perspective I'm surprised he got rid of the guy who was essentially the one big sleeper find of his GM tenure.

Like, De'vondre was a good find but he was a known starting NFL linebacker

These practice squad surprise success stories are the only thing you can use to make yourself look good as a GM if you're a bad drafter, weird to cut bait on one imo

Rasul Douglas was a third round draft pick. He didn't exactly come out of nowhere.

The Packers had to do something about what will eventually become a logjam at CB. Hopefully he and Micah Hyde can have a nice playoff run together.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

MJeff posted:

How do in-season QB switches usually go?

Let me tell you about a man named Case.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SirPablo posted:

Let me tell you about a man named Case.

Didn't he spend that entire year with the Vikings?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://x.com/MikeSilver/status/1719475801278550391

Yeah this is what I thought when watching that Bears commanders game.

Dude is the most unsound good player I have ever seen

So many times he let Fields escape contain or didn't bother to stop the run and just tried to get a sack every play

Bears ran like right at him and gashed.

And that side is the weaker run side of their line.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

MJeff posted:

Didn't he spend that entire year with the Vikings?

Bradford was the starting QB for 2017 but his knee failed after the first game.

https://www.vikings.com/news/2017-vikings-position-recap-quarterbacks-20339159

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Redeye Flight posted:

I hope the Vikings never tank because A. Tanking is universally miserable to watch and destroys an organization from a motivation standpoint, B. I'd rather gamble on making a fluke playoff run than the bigger gamble of a draft pick, and C. More importantly, the rest of the team is REALLY solid right now. In particular we have a really good O-line, which can seriously elevate even a mediocre quarterback, along with excellent passing weapons and a defense that appears to be doing its job.

Yeah, I figure worst case scenario they’re an okay team that can present a bigger obstacle than expected or even surprise and spoil another team’s run, and who doesn’t want to mess up someone else’s week for laughs. 49ers, looking at you!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Vikings love mediocrity, it's extremely Minnesota.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/kevinsheehanDC/status/1719460931233628549

drat DC media is unloading on Chase Young

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Scipiotik posted:

I don't think Brad is interested in spending picks on guys you then have to sign to top 5 contracts, much the opposite. I'd have liked Maxx, but considering the Raiders didn't trade anybody including their 2 receivers who want nothing to do with the team, it's possible they just weren't interested in trading anyone.

Yeah it would've created a lot of problems down the line if they traded lots of good picks to get lots of good players that they'd then need to figure out how to pay in future seasons or need to just release because they can't afford them. I'm content to see him make any move, even a small one like this, as trades are fun in general to see happen and it gives me a sense that he was out there shaking the trees to see what he could make happen and this just happened to be the only one that panned out. DPJ also seems like he's going to be motivated to play as best he can and not clash with the culture there (in the way that I'd be concerned someone like Avante would), which seems particularly important since while the Lions have some good players they aren't drowning in megastars or anything so I attribute a lot of their success to having the right mentality in place to bring the best out of players who may not have the raw level of talent that some other rosters have.

If we come out of the bye with Montgomery back or close to back, a few other players back, everyone overall healthier, and stay mostly injury free going forward I feel really good about the Lions' chances this year. Watching football for the first time in awhile this year has really reminded me just how crazy dangerous this sport is though, so I increasingly feel like making it deep into the playoffs or winning a Superbowl comes down to whichever of the 8-ish good teams has the fewest injuries.

Edit: I just found out that the Raiders didn't complete a single pass to a WR in the first half of the Radier/Lions game. That's a pretty unbelievable stat and makes me feel better about how we'll stack up against some of the better offenses out there.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I like the move, WR is definitely the weakest part of the offense right now and this is no longer the time for the lions to hoard picks when wins are on the table.

Also Donovan Peoples-Jones is an all time sports name