Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Some times writing a period piece works out less well than others, but I give Tauhid Bondia credit for sticking with the 1980s environmental issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

ellie the beep posted:

in another timeline:

His actions are so poorly conveyed.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

A bit of mental math suggests that if grandma here is, say, 70 in 1990, she probably gave birth during the war or in the austere years soon after, so yeah.
Next page is spoilered for the PoV character being told a “joke” about child abuse and (to give what I think is a deserved charitable reading considering her background), it being 1993, basically only being able to laugh it off.

Naturally, in the MangaDex comments, a couple people sprang to the defense of said “joke,” bemoaning how the modern internet had gotten so soft that people would be outraged by it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

A bit of mental math suggests that if grandma here is, say, 70 in 1990, she probably gave birth during the war or in the austere years soon after, so yeah.
Next page is spoilered for the PoV character being told a “joke” about child abuse and (to give what I think is a deserved charitable reading considering her background), it being 1993, basically only being able to laugh it off.

Naturally, in the MangaDex comments, a couple people sprang to the defense of said “joke,” bemoaning how the modern internet had gotten so soft that people would be outraged by it.
I do think the punchline of her joke is on the person making the 'joke', and her turning it around on him, at least. Still! That's a yikes for me.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember which depraved (even among their peers) Roman emperor is the correct one to reference.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

goatface posted:

I can't remember which depraved (even among their peers) Roman emperor is the correct one to reference.

tiberius is the one with that specific accusation leveled at him

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I just looked it up in the Twelve Ceasers.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

PetraCore posted:

I do think the punchline of her joke is on the person making the 'joke', and her turning it around on him, at least. Still! That's a yikes for me.
Very yikes, but yeah, the point of the strip is "can you believe men make jokes like this?" rather than "listen to this funny joke a guy told me," but (again, my interpretation) 1993 Japan meant she couldn't write a comic about just braining the guy, so her reaction can read as tacit approval to modern readers.

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 31, 2023

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Giant Ethicist posted:

Very yikes, but yeah, the point of the strip is "can you believe men make jokes like this?" rather than "listen to this funny joke a guy told me," but (again, my interpretation) 1993 Japan meant she couldn't write a comic about just braining the guy, so her reaction can read as tacit approval to modern readers.
Yeah, I read it as her reminding the guy he made that joke to make fun of him and make him uncomfortable now that he actually had a baby to associate it with, but the MangaDex commenters talking about cancel culture or whatever have no such excuse.

Sidenote, I love how she draws her baby just flapping his arms and legs excitedly. It's so cute when babies do that!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

If it's Bee Sharp or Cricket Bro I am going to stop posting this comic.

Mary Worth

"In some cases, even their spouse is happy!"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Also her episiotomy investigations are funny... it really is kind of amazing slash horrifying once you realize humans are not exactly especially suited for giving birth. I heard once 9 months is basically the limit for when a human baby could be born, based on head size and pelvis size, because if you consider, well, babies used to be smaller when people had less nutrition, well, the people giving birth were smaller, too! It's no wonder childbirth can be so dangerous, especially before germ theory was understood, because before germ theory doctors could be doing their best to provide proper medical care to their patients but not understand why they had to sanitize between performing autopsies to help understand anatomy and how to help patients and delivering a baby. Like, it's not like they were walking in completely filthy between the two, but if you don't understand germs exist you're not going to understand why a good rinse with water you're pretty sure is clean isn't enough.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Olive & Popeye

This ghost looks like he's been waiting all day for a chance to ask for pervert things.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

goatface posted:

Maybe they want to officially tie it in but have no interest in dealing with the problematic nature of Ming. Just handwave all that stuff as having happened and build fresh stories in the postgame.

Yeah, I think this is the actual reason why the new Flash Gordon is just skipping over the entire origin story. Which is a bit of a shame, since I've never actually seen it played out before. And probably never will.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

PetraCore posted:

Also her episiotomy investigations are funny... it really is kind of amazing slash horrifying once you realize humans are not exactly especially suited for giving birth.

Yeah, complete bipedalism and increased brain (and hence head) size really did a number on us. They're huge evolutionary advantages otherwise, but they hosed up childbirth very badly.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 9/17-19/51

Archie 8/5-7/48

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Oh poo poo, is that the reporter's ex-boyfriend back for REVENGE?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i really like this so far

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (December 26-31, 2003)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6rqQMbVHSI

Kennel fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 1, 2023

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Today on Ballard Street, a rare child sighting!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PetraCore posted:

Also her episiotomy investigations are funny... it really is kind of amazing slash horrifying once you realize humans are not exactly especially suited for giving birth. I heard once 9 months is basically the limit for when a human baby could be born, based on head size and pelvis size, because if you consider, well, babies used to be smaller when people had less nutrition, well, the people giving birth were smaller, too! It's no wonder childbirth can be so dangerous, especially before germ theory was understood, because before germ theory doctors could be doing their best to provide proper medical care to their patients but not understand why they had to sanitize between performing autopsies to help understand anatomy and how to help patients and delivering a baby. Like, it's not like they were walking in completely filthy between the two, but if you don't understand germs exist you're not going to understand why a good rinse with water you're pretty sure is clean isn't enough.

And even if they did wash, there's no guarantee the water they used would be clean.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Technowolf posted:

And even if they did wash, there's no guarantee the water they used would be clean.

Really it is loving insane we survived as a species.

I remember an old college intro to religion/mythology teacher once explaining a theory about why many early human societies were run by women. In short, if you jab a man, red liquid comes out and he sometimes dies. But women have red liquid come out every month, and they live! And other times lots of red liquid comes out, and a new person comes out too! It's loving insane! Clearly the women can die if red liquid comes out but not all the time. It really is a mystery.

And then some assholes watched how hooved mammals bred and had young, and it was all downhill for women from there.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 1, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Really it is loving insane we survived as a species.

People are working day and night to fix that oversight.

Our Boarding House (October 9-11, 1924)

Out Our Way: The School Ma'am Saga (October 11, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (December 22-24, 1921)

Dok's Dippy Clothng With A Mind of Its Own (December 23, 1914)

Little Lefty (May 15-16, 1939)

Some issues came up with the one for the 17th. I'll explain later...maybe...

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 1, 2023

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Gunther Staring at Tits

Coach Thorpula

The Home Free Halloween Spooktacular

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Darthemed posted:

"I am in Hell help me"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

i prefer "Hell is real but the demons are here."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

If it's Bee Sharp or Cricket Bro I am going to stop posting this comic.
And you will be right to do so.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

maybeadracula posted:

Ah yes the traditional happy haul of unwrapped baked goods, loose candy corn, fruit, a fabric swatch, a tied satchel, and a fat neck button extender

It's a Saf-T-Pop.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Julet Esqu posted:

Gunther Staring at Tits

Did Luan finally figure out a way to attract the boys on accident?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Green Intern posted:

Oh poo poo, is that the reporter's ex-boyfriend back for REVENGE?

:pray:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Unexpectedly depressing from Macanudo :smith:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (November 28, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (November 28, 2001)

lmao gottem