Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I remember as a kid watching jeopardy being really sad people didn't get to keep the money unless they won, and even then it's sometimes its different than the amount we watched them win. I was relieved you didn't have to owe the show money for going negative.

Yeah, the problem with letting runners-up keep their score is that it would heavily disincentivize playing to win (which was the reason it changed in the first place.) Players are already so risk-averse, even when it's objectively wrong (small late DD bets, etc) that this would just make it a million times more excruciating to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It's been a long time since I've seen someone cost himself a win as much as Mason did tonight.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's been a long time since I've seen someone cost himself a win as much as Mason did tonight.

That was painful to watch

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/noatishby/status/1717768023598117366?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

gently caress Mayim, gently caress Mayim, gently caress Mayim.

I seriously hope she never returns to the show.

EDIT: And yeah, is she really allowed to make this kind of video with the whole Jeopardy shtick? I feel like in the “normal world,” brands are pretty strict over what their representatives can do and say.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 27, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Can't think of many other people I'd rather hear less from on certain current events than Miyam loving Bialik.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Oh, new activity. Is it about...(checks thread) Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope with a side of Nope. I am NOT touching this one.

So...who's watching Celebrity Jeopardy!?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

gently caress Mayim, gently caress Mayim, gently caress Mayim.

I seriously hope she never returns to the show.

EDIT: And yeah, is she really allowed to make this kind of video with the whole Jeopardy shtick? I feel like in the “normal world,” brands are pretty strict over what their representatives can do and say.

Regardless of whether her contract specifically "allows" it, she's striking, and she's on a yearly contract, and she knows there's someone gunning for her job. She knows the risk she's taking.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The celebrities have just been so bad on the whole. I haven't watched much this round after I didn't like the last batch, but I checked the celebrities each week and haven't seen a batch that I wanted to watch. I know you're not getting A-listers but they could at least get entertaining people. Wheel of Fortune had the same problem for their celebrity games. They had one or two fun ones with comedians and a good energy, and then it's just a bunch of people who seem like they don't want to be there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah she also posted a video on TikTok: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMjs6Ysw1/

Given her well-documented pro-Israel views this isn’t exactly a surprise but ugh.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
11/15 CJ! Interesting matchup in my opinion

Macaulay Culkin
Rachel Dratch
Becky Lynch

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
How is 2016 not the answer for tonight’s final?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

davecrazy posted:

How is 2016 not the answer for tonight’s final?

I mean, it's not? 2016 also fits the description but isn't the *first*.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I missed the first part of the clue then!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Oh yeah the wording was

quote:

It was the first election since 1952 in which neither the incumbent president nor the incumbent vice president was a candidate

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Tonight's Celebrity Jeopardy might be the most painful game I've watched in a while.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Tonight's Celebrity Jeopardy might be the most painful game I've watched in a while.

When is Celebrity Jeopardy not painful?

Although Celebrity Wheel is worse.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Timby posted:

When is Celebrity Jeopardy not painful?

Although Celebrity Wheel is worse.

Other episodes have had dumb contestants or endless nonsense delaying the game. This one cranked both up to 11.

There was a triple stumper....in the category "Horse, Hog, or Dog" :suicide:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Other episodes have had dumb contestants or endless nonsense delaying the game. This one cranked both up to 11.

I was watching the World Series. I'm a little high so that might make me an ideal watcher / participant in the CJ I have recorded.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Timby posted:

I was watching the World Series. I'm a little high so that might make me an ideal watcher / participant in the CJ I have recorded.

You can get really far in quizzing being high all the time, my, uh, friend told me that

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

BaronVonVaderham posted:

If I have to listen to Sheryl Underwood ever again, it'll be too soon. I'd rather listen to Carrie Underwood & I HATE country music. I was red in the face yelling at their incompetence and yet she realized being negative for Final was bad which two other people this tournament couldn't comprehend.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Spokes posted:

You can get really far in quizzing being high all the time, my, uh, friend told me that

The edibles have often kicked in before we end up watching Jeopardy and I do shockingly well, but I deeply fear how the interview segment would go if I got the call and decided to go on stage baked.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
lol @ "repubic" in Final yesterday

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Aaron seems to struggle with emotional regulation.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Gigantic shift from his whooping and being an rear end when he won his semifinal to the tone of his giving the last response in regular yesterday.

Fully expecting him to just act butthurt through all of part 2 of the final today since he has to beat Emily by over 20k so knows he has very little chance of winning.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Yeah, that dude has some anger issues and I feel sorry for his family.

As for Emily, I feel like she was not really being chill about totally crushing it, either. She could have toned it back a bit.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I kinda see what you mean about Aaron. I don't know that he has a problem with managing his emotion but he definitely doesn't have much of a poker face.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
He's no Yogesh, but I wasn't expecting that in a tournament where all of the contestants had not only been at the podium before but had won a game or games.

You can really tell the experience makes a difference with contestants in how much more smoothly the games go (though having Ken as host helps infinitely more).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Today's Final was terribly written. 200 years after 1774 would be 1974. Star Trek had been off the air for five years in 1974.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I guessed Picard because I'm an 80s baby.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Timby posted:

Today's Final was terribly written. 200 years after 1774 would be 1974. Star Trek had been off the air for five years in 1974.

"Two centuries later", not "200 years". I don't think it's unreasonable to call 192 years later "two centuries later".

It's also not even an important part of the clue. Knowing "oh they're talking about Star Trek" doesn't really get you anywhere.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I thought it was alluding to the "One small step for (a) man..." quote. The connection to Kirk was cool but it was a bit of an esoteric link for the contestants to figure out.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I thought it was alluding to the "One small step for (a) man..." quote. The connection to Kirk was cool but it was a bit of an esoteric link for the contestants to figure out.

Me too.

Figured it out, though. I could only come up with one explorer from the late 1700s prominent enough to be a Final.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Timby posted:

Star Trek: The Animated Series (billed at the time as Star Trek) was on the air in 1974

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, that final was unquestionably Cook, and I say that as someone who literally last week almost flubbed the question of "who did Patrick Stewart play in Star Trek".

The 1900s were two centuries after the 1700s.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I've got a trivia question:

I've been tasked with setting up a trivia event for Friday, but my boss is reluctant to pay up for Kahoot. Does anyone know any free alternatives to Kahoot that can support a fairly large number of participants? (maybe 45?)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

google forms could work

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I've got a trivia question:

I've been tasked with setting up a trivia event for Friday, but my boss is reluctant to pay up for Kahoot. Does anyone know any free alternatives to Kahoot that can support a fairly large number of participants? (maybe 45?)

Not joking: it sounds like your boss doesn't care if this happens.

Looking around, though, if you have a university email address you might be able to get a free account. With smaller companies they don't usually do enrollment verification.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Sean posted:

Not joking: it sounds like your boss doesn't care if this happens.

Yeah I'm truly baffled that he's balking at like $25/month when I know full well what we have wasted in hosting costs for a thing that still isn't even live in production. What's the most confusing is this was HIS idea.

I've been searching around all evening to find an acceptable alternative. I think I'm going to put my foot down on the issue in the morning, and if he won't pay for it I'm out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yeah I'm truly baffled that he's balking at like $25/month when I know full well what we have wasted in hosting costs for a thing that still isn't even live in production. What's the most confusing is this was HIS idea.

I've been searching around all evening to find an acceptable alternative. I think I'm going to put my foot down on the issue in the morning, and if he won't pay for it I'm out.

It would set you back in the short term but Jackbox has some trivia games on multiple platforms. Could be fun enough off the clock for the other games, as well. The game needs some sort of platform (PC, switch, whatever) but participants play off of their phones or browsers.