Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mordja posted:

wait what

now you can complete ogdoad in epic 2 or darkdome in eternal doom without wanting to kill yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

lunaran posted:

Nightmare revisited as a more unique gameplay mode with role-specific monster enhancement
- Knights, Fiends, Dogs, and Rotfish move and attack faster
- Vorepods pursue more maliciously than vanilla (... until the vore dies)
- Zombies eventually return to life even if gibbed with explosives
- Grunts, Ogres, and Shamblers can fire repeatedly in fast volleys
- Ogres have their Z-awareness bumped up and rarely play their long stun animation
- Enforcers have a higher ROF and rarely play their long stun animation
- Scrags move faster when strafing, and spit bigger, faster bolts
- Death knights fire bigger, faster projectiles in two different patterns
- Spawns wake up and take flight more promptly
- Max health is 100 :P

See this is what Nightmare should be like - not pumping up HP values / infinite respawns, but making enemies' unique abilities stronger and more deadly, and taking away their easy-to-abuse weaknesses.

(I still think Vores should be shooting 2x Vorepods at once; one at normal speed, one at ever-so-slightly slower speed; making you freak out while thinking "oh god where is it did it blow up already?!")

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Apparently* the hardest difficulties in Ultrakill is supposed to grant the enemies unique abilities which sounds cool but I'm kinda sad I'll never get to play them :(

*I heard

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mordja posted:

wait what

Just to pile on here, map markers are not a GZDoom feature, they’re a Doom feature

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For all its preposterous plotting, I had a lot of fun with Condemned 2--a game where the original hobo-cop stumbles from one absurd setpiece to the next. Blasting incoherent meth-heads in a condemned building straight out of Se7en? Got it. Haunted doll factory plagued by suicidal doll-bombs? Check. Fighting rioters in medieval armor in a vandalized museum? Yup. Trying to escape a rabid grizzly bear in a remote snowed-in cabin? You bet.
Is this the one where you learn you can do sonic boom hadokens and then you fight the president of the united states of america who can also do sonic boom hadokens?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Assepoester posted:

Is this the one where you learn you can do sonic boom hadokens and then you fight the president of the united states of america who can also do sonic boom hadokens?

POTUS makes an appearance but you don't get to fight him

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Condemned 2 definitely gets interesting near the end. Pity about it never getting a PC port!

Speaking of consoles, DUSK is now on PS4 as a Halloween treat, with a new level (that'll be posted on Steam Workshop for PC when that lands) and an extremely high-quality trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcHQFX5Lpzo

A PS5 update and a slightly lower quality trailer will come in the future.

A DUSK HD trailer was also supposed to land today, but it isn't quite ready.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mordja posted:

wait what

Even vanilla Doom has this, it is a lifesaver in big adventure maps.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Condemned 2 is a bunch of very interesting set pieces that do not congeal into a good game.

Then again Condemned 1 has a perfect final level in a horror game that then gets undermined because they thought, eh gently caress tension just throw a bunch of trash enemies at them until the item they need to progress drops like its an mmo quest

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Condemned 1 is a great game with some very dumb oversights in its writing. At the beginning of the game you're an fbi agent investigating the crime scene of a serial killer, and when you get attacked by a crazy homeless man at that crime scene, who you're forced to beat to death with a pipe, it never explains why he's not a suspect for the serial killings. Nor is there even an offhand remark about reporting the body or filling out paperwork for it, even though at that point in the story you're still active duty law enforcement.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNVo3VqjL0Q

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Goes hard as hell, wiat for it

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

Thousands and thousands of hours in Doom and I did not know this......

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Amazing. I take back every bad word I've ever said about kazoos.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Condemned had the great triple threat of an abandoned department store populated by mannequins, killer hobos posing as mannequins, and move-when-you're-not-looking spooky mannequins.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Only the very first one is any good, but they don't let you buy that separately any more which is a shame.

Go cry about it, then you'll have tears for FEARs

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The later games aren’t perfect but the environments are a lot better. One of the reasons I don’t replay the first one more is that I dread just how much samey industrial and office sets there are.

The department store in the third game is an all time favorite.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
FEAR 3 makes for pretty hilarious co-op.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Fear 3 isn't a good Fear game, maybe not even a good game at all, but it is a pretty fun game.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I do kind of hate Phase Casters though. Not every encounter is awful but a lot of them really suck.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
With the exception of NOLF 2, why on earth are Monolith so bad at sequels

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Convex posted:

With the exception of NOLF 2, why on earth are Monolith so bad at sequels

I guess AVP2 wouldn't count. Tron 2.0 is right out...

Uh, people like Shadow of War...?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
FEAR 2 is good, except for the ending.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I thought FEAR 2 stank

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

FEAR 2's the worst one by miles. 3's at least pretty fun in co-op

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
happy big 3k

Narcissus1916 posted:

So ah... how scary is FEAR? Thinking of finally giving it a go due to the Spooky Season.

I played Condemned back in the day and that scared the poo poo out of me. Is this on par?

i remember a couple of the jump scares getting me the first time i played it, but i was also like 14 so i dunno how scary it would be going into it now.

Woolie Wool posted:

:negative:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

POTUS makes an appearance but you don't get to fight him

I fought for that to be in my contract

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

the robocop game owns

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Robocop game seems pretty sweet

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
For whatever reason, FEAR 2's my favourite, but one could just play the first one and be satisfied. I liked FEAR 3 enough (played only in SP), but it's a very different game (and the end loving sucks), but it's got some great levels, I'm fond of the department store and the suburbs.

Woolie Wool posted:

What the gently caress

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

We should get another John Woo game, preferably one that has better shooting.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

A DUSK HD trailer was also supposed to land today, but it isn't quite ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiZ3ttvq-QI&t=1s

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hoping we get some good mods outta this

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

New scarecrow spooky as poo poo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiZ3ttvq-QI&t=88s

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Getting excited for the HD DUSK nude mod

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I played FEAR several years ago, and at the time, I wasn't too impressed with it. In retrospect, I think I might have just been my state of mind at the time. Also, I never really used the shotgun, which was probably my biggest mistake.

I watched Civvie11's review of it the other day, and it prompted me to buy FEAR 2 on Steam, only to realize that I already bought it on GOG, so I refunded it. I briefly thought about FEAR 3, but it sounds like the good bits are outweighed by the bad.

I thought it was odd Civvie didn't cover the FEAR 1 expansions. I know they're not canon. I remember liking the first one (Extraction Point), but the second one (Perseus Mandate) I remember being frustrating (I think toward the last half, they start throwing enemies at you that can go into bullet time themselves).

Did FEAR 1 ever have any mods or user-made maps?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Civvie in general doesn't seem to like covering expansions unless they're for an id Tech 1 or Build Engine game(or close relatives like ROTT and Wolf 3D), he's mentioned that he finds most FPS expansions don't really add anything meaningful for him to talk about and he's outright disdainful of the concept of covering something in a video just for the sake of completionist reasons(like it's one of the only times you ever see him outright mock his audience about something), there's a reason he avoided doing a video on the TNT levels from Final Doom until he came up with that April Fool's gimmick of doing them in the YouTube Shorts format

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Does FEAR run ok on new hardware (and in widescreen) without a lot of loving around? I really have a hankering to revisit it. I tried trepang2 demo and idk it just didn't do it for me.

It's a shame the multi is dead, I really liked running around only doing the flying kicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

F.E.A.R should run for you without any problems. You probably won’t have to do anything.

Run the benchmark for shits and giggles. When I tried the demo back in 2005 it turned the family computer into a slide show the moment shooting started. Now I can crank everything to max and still get a ridiculous frame rate on modest hardware.