Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Fleetwood posted:

I liked the Radio War Nerd take on the new Dune: why go through the trouble of making this huge production if you're going to create something so bland and sterile? The Lynch version is just OUT THERE and is more concerned with telling a wild tale than sticking to the source material. the super soldier battle ritual was really cool tho. I listened to the audiobook version before watching the new movie and I think that was much better

even the trailer put me to sleep. what episode do they talk about dune?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

i'm generally pretty positive about trash because my expectations are so low and there are few good bits but overall it's like just a step above hercules and xena.

check out the book barn thread for goons jizzing over an evil wizard walking through town shooting fireballs at the scenery with all the cinematography of a 2D 80's jrpg

she was one of the few bright spots of the season too lol

totally agree on xena vibes. sometimes that's charming but mostly not

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
yall like the action boyz

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The dune movie should have been like the book and had little segments throughout where David attenborough tells you about some desert plant

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Dune should be colorful but Villeneuve always insists his films have an asphalt-colored filter over everything

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

You people are like parodies of goobers with terrible taste lol

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Whirling posted:

Dune should be colorful but Villeneuve always insists his films have an asphalt-colored filter over everything

???

Arrakis in the books has a white sun, its actually canonically supposed to look washed out

edit: David Lynch and Jodorowsky have poisoned people's brains about what Dune "should" look like, which is especially weird because both (attempted) adaptations have just been them taking a giant poo poo all over the source material and either making one of the biggest flops in cinema history or getting their movie stuck in production hell for upwards of a decade

AnEdgelord has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Nov 1, 2023

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Fortaleza posted:

turn on your monitor

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fortaleza posted:

______________/

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

https://x.com/virgiltexas/status/529116787594784769?s=46&t=XLIFOcsJHlmxpRCSXB8FIQ

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

he went as a lesbian??

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

tokin opposition posted:

he went as a lesbian??
i know he’s running that subway like the navy

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You fake fans haven't even watched Polytechnique and Incendies.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nothus posted:

Seriously, the reason why people like it is that it throws in more references for book-readers than the Lynch film. The awful 2000's era SciFi adaptation is better.

I can't think of a better adaptation than the dune 2000 rts.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lmao

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

disgusting costume

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fleetwood posted:

I liked the Radio War Nerd take on the new Dune: why go through the trouble of making this huge production if you're going to create something so bland and sterile? The Lynch version is just OUT THERE and is more concerned with telling a wild tale than sticking to the source material. the super soldier battle ritual was really cool tho. I listened to the audiobook version before watching the new movie and I think that was much better

Dolan specifically is a huge fan of Jack Vance and Gene Wolfe who are far more creative than Frank Herbert ever was, so much so that their work really couldn't be adapted well to the screen, it tracks that they wouldn't love Dune movie

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol wikipedia says jared didn't get arrested until 2015 so it isn't as edgy as you think (even if it ends up looking like foreshadowing in retrospect)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

lol wikipedia says jared didn't get arrested until 2015 so it isn't as edgy as you think (even if it ends up looking like foreshadowing in retrospect)

jesus that's way later than i'd have guessed

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
the weird thing about the new dune movie is that its full of holes if you haven’t read the book. before it came out I was wondering how they’d handle the fact that so much of the book happens in internal monologue while the characters just look at stuff, but then they just… let the characters look at things silently when the internal monologues would happen? great for people who’ve read the book, I assume baffling for everyone else; but it got good reviews, so I have no idea

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

the weird thing about the new dune movie is that its full of holes if you haven’t read the book. before it came out I was wondering how they’d handle the fact that so much of the book happens in internal monologue while the characters just look at stuff, but then they just… let the characters look at things silently when the internal monologues would happen? great for people who’ve read the book, I assume baffling for everyone else; but it got good reviews, so I have no idea

i've never actually read Dune books and i liked the movie, idk it mostly all made sense to me. and what didin't make sense i just handwaved away for world building and mystique that doesn't need answered. like I was saying in the movies thread, not everything needs to be spelled out and its nice just to absorb stuff that doesn't make sense as mystique, like OG star wars

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
watch Dune with friends that haven't read the book. then you can tell them all about the Butlerian Jihad, CHOAM, the Landsraad, etc. really help them understand the movie in a new way. they will surely thank you for this.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dune is my favorite podcast

I like Duke Leo he cracks me up

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

uber_stoat posted:

watch Dune with friends that haven't read the book. then you can tell them all about the Butlerian Jihad, CHOAM, the Landsraad, etc. really help them understand the movie in a new way. they will surely thank you for this.

dune but with a donnie darko director's cut style edit where every time a new name or term comes up the movie pauses to read you articles from dunepedia with helpful diagrams

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

AnEdgelord posted:

???

Arrakis in the books has a white sun, its actually canonically supposed to look washed out

edit: David Lynch and Jodorowsky have poisoned people's brains about what Dune "should" look like, which is especially weird because both (attempted) adaptations have just been them taking a giant poo poo all over the source material and either making one of the biggest flops in cinema history or getting their movie stuck in production hell for upwards of a decade

I'm sorry but if I have to choose whose artistic vision I respect more between Frank Herbert and David Lynch, I gotta go with Lynch

like I'm not even being dismissive of Frank here but like come on David made loving Blue Velvet

Whirling has issued a correction as of 06:07 on Nov 1, 2023

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
lynch doesn't even respect his own artistic vision on that stinker lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Wolfsheim posted:

lynch doesn't even respect his own artistic vision on that stinker lol
He got insanely burned making it. He's said in interviews how loving awful it was to work on that, like the worst time in his life, and made him swear off making any other big branded hollywoo movies ever again. he was basically treated as a Marvel VFX worker. arguably lynch had to suffer that monstrosity in order for him to blossom into a big beautiful butterfly

i also like dfw's take on lynch

quote:

1984's Dune is unquestionably the worst movie of Lynch's career, and it's pretty darn bad. In some ways it seems that Lynch was miscast as its director: Eraserhead had been one of those sell-your-own-plasma-to-buy-the-film-stock masterpieces, with a tiny and largely unpaid cast and crew. Dune, on the other hand, had one of the biggest budgets in Hollywood history, and its production staff was the size of a Caribbean nation, and the movie involved lavish and cuttingedge special effects. Plus, Herbert's novel itself was incredibly long and complex and besides all the headaches of a major commercial production financed by men in Ray-Bans, Lynch also had trouble making cinematic sense of the plot, which even in the novel is convoluted to the point of pain. In short, Dune's direction called for a combination technician and administrator, and Lynch, though technically as good as anyone, is more like the type of bright child you sometimes see who's ingenious at structuring fantasies and gets totally immersed in them and will let other kids take part in them only if he retains complete imaginative control.

Watching Dune again on video, (Easy to do-it rarely leaves its spot on Blockbuster's shelf.) you can see that some of its defects are clearly Lynch's responsibility: casting the nerdy and potatofaced young Kyle MacLachlan as an epic hero and the Police's unthespian Sting as a psycho villain for example, or-worse-trying to provide plot exposition by having characters' thoughts audibilized on the soundtrack while the camera zooms in on the character making a thinking face. The overall result is a movie that's funny while it's trying to be deadly serious, which is as good a definition of a flop there is, and Dune was indeed a huge, pretentious, incoherent flop. But a good part of the incoherence is the responsibility of the De Laurentiis producers, who cut thousands of feet of film out of Lynch's final print right before the movie's release. Even on video, it's not hard to see where these cuts were made; the movie looks gutted, unintentionally surreal.

In a strange way, though, Dune actually ended up being Lynch's Big Break as a filmmaker. The Dune that finally appeared in the theaters was by all reliable reports heartbreaking for Lynch, the kind of debacle that in myths about Innocent, Idealistic Artists in the Maw of the Hollywood Process signals the violent end of the artist's Innocence-seduced, overwhelmed, hosed over, left to take the public heat and the mogul's wrath. The experience could easily have turned Lynch into an embittered hack, doing effects-intensive gorefests for commercial studios. Or it could have sent him scurrying to the safety of academe, making obscure, plotless 16mm's for the pipe-and-beret crowd. The experience did neither. Lynch both hung in and, on some level probably, gave up. Dune convinced him of something that all the really interesting independent filmmakers-the Coen brothers, Jane Campion, Jim Jarmusch-seem to steer by. "The experience taught me a valuable lesson," he said years later. "I learned I would rather not make a film than make one where I don't have final cut." And this, in an almost Lynchianly weird way, is what led to Blue Velvet. BV's development had been one part of the deal under which Lynch had agreed to do Dune, and the latter's huge splat caused two years of rather chilly relations between Dino and Dave while the former clutched his head and the latter wrote BV's script and the De Laurentiis Entertainment Group's accountants did the postmortem on a $40 million stillbirth. Then De Laurentiis offered Lynch a deal for making BV, a very unusual sort of arrangement. For Blue Velvet, De Laurentiis offered Lynch a tiny budget and an absurdly low directorial fee, but 100 percent control over the film. It seems to me that the offer was a kind of punitive bluff on the mogul's part-a kind of be-carefulwhat-you-publicly-pray-for thing. History unfortunately hasn't recorded what De Laurentiis's reaction was when Lynch jumped at the deal. It seems that Lynch's Innocent Idealism had survived Dune, and that he cared less about money and production budgets than about regaining control of the fantasy and toys. Lynch not only wrote and directed Blue Velvet, he had a huge hand in almost every aspect of the film, even coauthoring songs on the soundtrack with Badalamenti. Blue Velvet was, again, in its visual intimacy and sure touch, a distinctively homemade film (the home being, again, D. Lynch's skull), and it was a surprise hit, and it remains one of the '80s' great U.S. films. And its greatness is a direct result of Lynch's decision to stay in the Process but to rule in small personal films rather than to serve in large corporate ones. Whether you believe he's a good auteur or a bad one, his career makes it clear that he is indeed, in the literal Cahiers du Cinema sense, an auteur, willing to make the sorts of sacrifices for creative control that real auteurs have to make-choices that indicate either raging egotism or passionate dedication or a childlike desire to run the sandbox, or all three.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:15 on Nov 1, 2023

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Not sure what’s worse about those Villenueve conversation: so many people liking his most banal movie (Dune, which is dogshit but not as dogshit as Arrival) or no one at all mentioning his best (Incendies).

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
new War Nerd and Citations Needed on Gaza, which are podcasts

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

hadji murad posted:

new War Nerd and Citations Needed on Gaza, which are podcasts

adam johnson is an annoying dweeb so I gave up on CN several years ago. i don't recommend it anymore either

nima seems alright though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

as always, CN is leftist preschool, necessary but if you don't graduate you're in trouble

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Citations Needed is very good for sending to the libs in your life, or mining for arguments that will work on those who have not yet embraced the immortal science.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

There came a point at which I couldn't listen to CN anymore because I only have so much appetite for "eating my vegetables" type listening

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
it got people to stop talking about some film director so clearly it has its uses

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
dune sucks and only mediocre dudes like it

just transition and you'll never have to think about dune again

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Mr. Lobe posted:

There came a point at which I couldn't listen to CN anymore because I only have so much appetite for "eating my vegetables" type listening

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

dune sucks and only mediocre dudes like it

just transition and you'll never have to think about dune again

george rr martin's DUNC and egg

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

???

Ironically making “one the biggest flops in cinema history” - as you’ve called it - taught Lynch a valuable lesson: never let Hollywood studios compromise your artistic vision. We can see this through his triumphant follow-up Blue Velvet and through the fun-filled years that would follow,
from Twin Peaks to Inland Empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm a stupid baby who likes citations needed :kiddo: