Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

come and see

excruciating slog

Good or bad

Also, I've recommended this to a bunch of people since Mosfilm uploaded a 4K version to their youtube channel, and... yeah, the video description that blathers on about the Great Patriotic War makes it very hard to ignore that this is part of a huge swathe of war flicks they've uploaded following the invasion of Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Out There Halloween Mega Tape

So ten years ago we got The WNUF Halloween Special, which was a fake VHS recording of a 1987 evening news broadcast followed by an hour-long special where a reporter investigated a so-called haunted house. All the while, it was filled with fake 80s commercials, usually of the local variety. Last year, a sequel was released, though unfortunately only on DVD to order online for $30. My friends and I watch the original regularly during our Halloween marathons, so I figured I would shell out for it.

Depicted as something bought from a 90s tape trader, Out There Halloween Mega Tape features a 1994 Halloween broadcast of a Ricki Lake pastiche followed by a broadcast from 1996 of the same woman trying to stay relevant by co-hosting an hour-long investigation into the existence of aliens. The description on the box refers to it as "Yes, THAT special," giving you an idea of how eventful it's supposed to be. Plus there are various references to the first movie and some of its minor characters.

Compared to the original, the commercials are definitely better handled, especially in terms of nostalgic accuracy. There's definitely more humor in this than the original, less of a horror angle, and the alien special part starts to run out of gas. The original was able to build up tension through the last half hour or so before hitting the ending (which honestly wasn't the most interesting twist). The only real tension in this one is knowing that something major has to happen and not knowing what the payoff is going to be. Luckily, the actual payoff is fantastic and plays into something incredibly 90s-specific in the best way.

Is it worth the $30? Not really. I get the guys behind it want to prevent it from getting pirated, but it really doesn't need to be $30. Still, it's worth watching if you know somebody who does have it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ShoogaSlim posted:

come and see

excruciating slog
bigger fan of how schindler's list depicted the holocaust?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lake Mungo (2008) boring

Videodrome (1983) hell yeah, this rocks, I really need to sit down and watch the rest of the “classic” crobenberg body horror oeuvre

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Bram Stoker's Dracula - Is there a more hilariously miscasted role in cinema history than Keanu here?

It rules.

I think it's no fair to put 90s era Keanu against Gary Oldman at the peak of his powers and truly bonkers Anthony Hopkins. he never had a chance.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

bad

Coaaab posted:

bigger fan of how schindler's list depicted the holocaust?

idk never saw it

i wrote a long thing about the movie on letterboxd, but basically it just feels like 2.5 hours of bland misery just to say "war is bad" which... duh. i can see why it would be impactful in '85 but by today's standards it is pretty toothless. the whole thesis of the movie happens in the last ~10 minutes, you don't need the slow boring beginning just to get there.

i think it would have improved if any of the cast had any characterization whatsoever, but i can also see how the lack of development was deliberate and part of the point.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Saw Omen (2023) at a film fest. Was kind of expecting a horror movie but it’s more of a family drama intertwined with mysticism and visual spectacle. Beautiful little film, tight 90 minutes, could have even been longer to provide a sharper view of the characters. But I liked the vague lines and micro-tragedies you just have to pin together into its wider picture.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shawshank Redemption manic pixie prison escapee. 2.5/5 film

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

I think it's no fair to put 90s era Keanu against Gary Oldman at the peak of his powers and truly bonkers Anthony Hopkins. he never had a chance.

It felt like he was playing Ted in that film, though, barely getting through his lines. He never had a chance, but he didn't have to do this badly.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Videodrome - Fuckin thing is this for the whole drat movie:

All hail the new flesh

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Heat watched this with my buddy who'd never seen it before last night. He was a little too Tok brain for the first hour or so and then the second the truck hits the security car he was all loving in. Dude wanted Neil to get away so bad. When he was driving toward the airport with Eady I realized how much he wanted to convince himself that he was going to get out. Let out a "Yeah dude I was so scared first time around that he was gonna go after Waingro instead of following his code." Dude was so relieved for half a second when Neil keeps driving, then the scene stays on him and Neil's eyes start going buggy, and he loving knows I'm loving with him but can't admit it. Then Neil slams the gas and pulls off and he loving yells "gently caress you dude, they were there, gently caress you.". When a movie gives you that then you know it's top tier.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Bottoms (Emma Seligman, 2023)

Saw a preview screening of this last night as it's finally getting a UK release, and it lived up to the hype. Absurdist high school comedy which recognises it's a film in that genre (bell goes after five minutes: "that was it? that was class?") while having fun with it. I was laughing all the way through, as the main script was very funny, but there was also lots of little jokes in the background (a motivational poster in the school that says "smile! so everyone knows how beautiful you can be!").

The actual punching/kicking felt surprisingly weighty and led to a very satisfying final sequence ("yeah, I think we killed all of them"). Still laughing thinking about that shot of Ayo Edebiri kicking the can down the road.

And it was good to see the Orion logo back on the big screen! And to have some funny out/alternative takes over the credits.

Carpet fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 31, 2023

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Nosferatu (1922):

gently caress me rigid this was an amazing film in context. Second 1920's black and white silent German expressionistic film I've seen (first one is Metropolis because I'm a basic bitch) and so far it's 2 for 2 in the 'watch where whole swathes of cinematic language were first developed'.

Remarkably good cinematography given the technological constraints they were working with, and Gustav von Wangenheim brings maybe a modicum more dignity to the role than Keanu did. :v:

One thing I will say is that people lose their poo poo over the shot of Orlok's shadow ascending the stairs, but there's another absolutely phenomenal shot where he's casting a shadow in the room with Ellen, and you see the shadow of his hand move up her torso to where her heart is at which point his fist closes around it and she writhes - this got an audible gasp from my girlfriend and was a stunningly brilliant concept. Just leagues ahead of its time.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Breetai posted:

Nosferatu (1922):

gently caress me rigid this was an amazing film in context. Second 1920's black and white silent German expressionistic film I've seen (first one is Metropolis because I'm a basic bitch) and so far it's 2 for 2 in the 'watch where whole swathes of cinematic language were first developed'.

Remarkably good cinematography given the technological constraints they were working with, and Gustav von Wangenheim brings maybe a modicum more dignity to the role than Keanu did. :v:

One thing I will say is that people lose their poo poo over the shot of Orlok's shadow ascending the stairs, but there's another absolutely phenomenal shot where he's casting a shadow in the room with Ellen, and you see the shadow of his hand move up her torso to where her heart is at which point his fist closes around it and she writhes - this got an audible gasp from my girlfriend and was a stunningly brilliant concept. Just leagues ahead of its time.

It really is a timeless classic and head and shoulders above the Universal adaptation of Dracula. Even shots like the two people having a discussion in Mina's bedroom are creepy when you realize that Orlock is just staring directly at the camera/viewer in the background the entire time unblinking. Max Schreck did a really good job in that role.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Smile: This was a very odd movie to watch. I thought the directing, score, staging and editing was all exquisite, with the exception of an over-reliance on cheap jump scares, but there's so much wrong with it that it's hard to recommend.

Firstly, it's one hell of a derivative movie. It has basically the same structure and plot points as Drag Me To Hell (including a very similar fake-out ending), the central threat bares more than a passing resemblance to Pennywise from It and the overall tone owes a lot to It Follows. When it does show flashes of ambition and originality, such as the director's penchant for uninterrupted takes and framing the actors' entire bodies, it's great but for the most part it just made me want to watch the much better movies it's taking inspiration from.

But it's biggest flaw is the acting. I don't mean that it's hokey and exaggerated as horror movies typically are, I mean that there are many moments in the movie where the acting is positively amateur, just purely awkward and unnatural. I couldn't stop laughing at one scene with the two central characters arguing outside their home which is presented in a two minute long uninterrupted take; it reminded me a lot of the acting class scenes in Barry, you'd think these two actors had never met and were running a scene they'd both memorised separately and never worked on. Sosie Bacon throws herself at the role admirably but is never fully convincing and poor Jesse T Usher is just bad from beginning to end.

To give the movie credit where it's due: When it's trying to be funny it's consistently funny, the director clearly has a good sense of humour.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Third Man I had no idea Anna was also the woman who served as the doctor's assistant on Eyes Without a Face. If you haven't seen this film stop reading this post and go see it. This was my third or fourth viewing but the first in theatres and my god is it beautiful.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I love the setting of the Third Man. This whole post war Vienna that doesn’t exist in the same way anymore. Plus Orson Welles with the best entrance of all time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the first time I saw it was right after reading Gravity's Rainbow and Slaughterhouse V which put me in the perfect mood for it.

Really should do a double feature of lost Americans falling in love in Vienna but being forced to leave; Third Man and Before Sunrise

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Prisoners (2013) I mean, it's Villanueve and Deakins, its a beautiful film. a good mystery, but did it have to be 2.5 hrs long? think they could have cut it a bit

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The Misfits - This was made about 30 years too late, and not just because Pierce Brosnan is geriatric in this. It's bad, but it's like, cynically bad. Like a salesman trying to sell me something that we both know is outdated crap but they won't give up pitching how cool and hip it is. I felt insulted watching it. It's not even dumb fun. Hackers was a more intelligent movie than this.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Anatomy of a Fall (Justine Triet, 2023)

Gripping and very well done family/courtroom drama, featuring a fantastic central performance from Sandra Hüller (who's having a great 2023 as she also plays the camp commandant's wife in The Zone of Interest), along with performances from a child and a dog that refute that old maxim. The central mystery itself is very compelling, and I found myself tensed up on multiple occasions - there's one particular scene 2/3s of the way through that they'll be using on the highlights reel for Hüller's Oscar nomination.

Nicely shot, with camera movements (fast zooms into someone's face, whip pans to something happening off screen) that in certain moments give it a documentary feel - and there's some sequences where we see what's being recorded on a handheld digital camera.

There's also an interesting use of language - it's a French film, with a lead character who's and married to a Frenchman, who have lived in rural France for a few years after living in London, with a francophone son. However she mostly speaks English, including in the courtroom scenes as she isn't as fluent, while the judge, prosecutor and defence continue to speak French.

Perhaps 20 minutes too long, but I'm looking forward to seeing it again and trying to pick up on the little clues or moments I might have missed the first time around.

The screening of this one last night was a "mystery film" one (actually the same evening as its UK premiere) and there were surprisingly few walkouts - I heard a few groans when the French production companies came up on screen (Canal+ avec le participation de... etc) but they stayed seated through the opening scenes. Five or so walked out when we saw the first French characters speaking French 20 minutes in, after the opening titles - but were they asleep for that part immediately before which was in English? Anyway, their loss.

very late edit: totally forgot to mention that a steel band cover of a very popular song from 2003 plays an important part in the plot, but I guarantee you will not be able to guess the track

Carpet fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 2, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

eyes wide shut weird, uncomfortable movie. Very well made but I didn't particularly enjoy it. Can't believe it made $162 million???

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

e:oops

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Killers of the Flower Moon

Phenomenal. A masterpiece on every level, and it's a drat shame Marty's only likely to make one or two more films before his time is up.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

distortion park posted:

eyes wide shut weird, uncomfortable movie. Very well made but I didn't particularly enjoy it. Can't believe it made $162 million???

Kubrick's death earlier that year plus the stunt(ish) casting of Cruise and Kidman in a sex movie (gasp!) was simply too much for the primitive culture of 1999 to resist.

It honestly was a bit of a cultural phenomenon for a minute or two there.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Titane

aaaaaah gently caress!!!
So intense and violent at the beginning, I really wasn't sure if I was gonna be able to finish for a while. I saw Raw last month and was expecting something similar with the creeping dread and moderate body horror, but I was REALLY not expecting this movie to be the ways that it was at the level that it was. I was barely able to keep it together to finish, but in a really really powerful way it felt like I was just riding the line. Ducournau is incredible. I can't wait to see what she puts out next (actually I need a minute to recover so I'm glad to wait)

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Eyes wide shut is great with its weird dream world and strange characters and the whole orgy/conspiracy angle. Plus Tom Cruise just never gets to have sex. Its not my favorite Kubrick, but probably top 5.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eyes Wide Shut is fascinating, It's Kubricks most rewatchable movie aside from maybe The Shining. It's operating on so many levels that no matter what you're going to pull something out of it, on one hand it is a fascinating drama about a man being unable to understand that his wife is also a sexual creature, on the other it's a kafkasesque paranoid dreamscape where the subconscious is made manifest in repeating signs and symbols and the main character is hopeless to fight against the tide despite having the illusion of choice, on the third hand it's a haunting christmas movie that captures like almost no other the intense loneliness and isolation one can feel when untethered from anyone else in a huge city; one teeming with people but all of whom are at across purpose to you, on the other hand it's a tabloid magazines dream film of watching two of the biggest stars of the times marriage falter supposedly on the same faults the film characters have. And lastly, as my buddy who watched the movie yesterday said, the movie looks amazing. His main takeaway before even anything with the secret society or the infidelity poo poo was that he wishes he had Pollack's apartment.

I don't think it's Kubrick's best film, but my god is it easy to get sucked in.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

fidelio

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Pollacks house has a bathroom with a desk and couch in along with the toilet and bidet. What a setup.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story - okay what in the name of gently caress even is this movie. I'm so confused

Like, is it supposed to play like a slapstick comedy? I don't know how I'm supposed to be reacting to these scenes. One minute he's having an impromptu movie-style kung-fu battle with a bunch of schlubby line cooks from his restaurant to the strains of Green Onions, then he's fighting a duel with a big bad heavy for the right to teach kung-fu in San Francisco in spite of a panel of solemn greybeards who had resolved that they shouldn't teach it to whites because they are the enemy, and then he's fighting the heavy's brother who randomly shows up on the set of a movie to do a fully choreographed one-on-one battle while nobody intervenes. I've seen cartoons that are more subtle in the writing of their dialogue, and I'm talking about the kind ten-year-olds watch. I don't know if this is supposed to feel like a serious biopic or if it's trying to sell the idea that Bruce Lee just lived a constant life of backflips and kipups where his shirt just bursts off his oiled-up body right in time to beat up some sailors, like for him that was Tuesday

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zodiac Chloe Sevigny is the best actor in the film and it's not close. The amount of disappointment conveyed entirely non verbally whenever Gyllenhall fails their family is palatable. It's a good film, but not a great film. As far as I'm concerned David Fincher is the best 3/5 director we've got, man can absolutely make a decent film that you won't regret watching, one that is slightly quotable, has totally serviceable direction, and has utterly fine performances. He's got a high floor for quality that unfortunately is five inches from his ceiling.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Five Nights at Freddy's: it's alright. A solid 2.5/5 with way too much fan service. Matthew Lillard chewing on the scenery makes me happy, so it's all worth it. My teens kept doing the point-at-the-screen thing when they recognized something which was often.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The Killer - Enjoyed it! Didn't expect it to be a pitch black comedy (the narration and constant Smiths playlist had me rolling).

I would never put it in the same tier as most his other flicks as this thing is a Netflix-rear end Netflix movie, but it's a way better time than, idk, loving Gray Man.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Five Nights at Freddy's: it's alright. A solid 2.5/5 with way too much fan service. Matthew Lillard chewing on the scenery makes me happy, so it's all worth it. My teens kept doing the point-at-the-screen thing when they recognized something which was often.

Anytime an exec says something is made "For the fans!" signals automatic avoid.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Nightmare Alley (2021) why tf was this movie 2.5 hours long? it really dragged in the beginning, and the middle, and after the climax. Blanchett's character was really underwritten, no idea what her motivations were. can't see myself revisiting this one

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Dream Scenario (Kristoffer Borgli, 2023)

Nicolas Cage in one of those roles you can tell he gives a poo poo about, and like Pig before it he's got some transformative hair and beard work. Very funny and not surprised to see it was exec produced by Ari Aster (who was originally supposed to direct) as there's some anxiety inducing scenes reminiscent of Beau is Afraid. The dream sequences we see from different characters were well done and nice to see certain comedic actors appear (Michael Cera, Kate Berlant).

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Zodiac Chloe Sevigny is the best actor in the film and it's not close. The amount of disappointment conveyed entirely non verbally whenever Gyllenhall fails their family is palatable. It's a good film, but not a great film. As far as I'm concerned David Fincher is the best 3/5 director we've got, man can absolutely make a decent film that you won't regret watching, one that is slightly quotable, has totally serviceable direction, and has utterly fine performances. He's got a high floor for quality that unfortunately is five inches from his ceiling.

I was about to say no, he has films better than that! But then I went and looked at his filmography, and I think you're right. Pretty much everything is fine to good (though I never understood what people loved about The Social Network)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Killers of the Flower Moon Watching this a second time makes the beginning so much more painful. When the sisters are all hanging out and one of them points out that Ernest want's Mollie's Money. She responds of course and then Minnie replies that his uncle already has money, he's not looking for cash he's in love. And the worst part is it is true. Ernest had everything he wanted. A Woman he loved, money, respect in town, a big house and lots of nice things, wonderful children. And he fucks it all up for just a little more.

Every scene between him and Molly just begs for an intrusion onto the screen so you can slap the poo poo out of him and get him to realize how badly his greed and his uncle's influence has warped his mind.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Carillon posted:

I was about to say no, he has films better than that! But then I went and looked at his filmography, and I think you're right. Pretty much everything is fine to good (though I never understood what people loved about The Social Network)

big disagree

fight club, juvenile as some people might think it is bc it's popular for college age kids or whatever, is actually a fantastic representation of the 90s decade of cinema. se7en is one of the best detective movies of all time.

zodiac is a stylish and cerebral journey into obsession, panic, and the failings of disparate police forces to work together to achieve a unified goal. it's almost kafkaesque. social network also deals with obsession and panic but in a totally different way. it achieves elevating a jealous nerd creating a website into a twisting dramatic tale of revenge and spite. the way the narrative unfolds between various litigation/disposition rooms matches the scandalous behavior of the characters. it goes from disappointment to catharsis to disappointment and back in lots of satisfying ways.

the above 4 are all timers. the game is a close fifth that relies a bit too heavily on the gimmick but it still a near masterpiece. the killer and panic room are good but not great. everything else is pretty bad.

for anyone who gives a poo poo, here's my ranked list on LB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gaius Marius posted:

Killers of the Flower Moon Watching this a second time makes the beginning so much more painful. When the sisters are all hanging out and one of them points out that Ernest want's Mollie's Money. She responds of course and then Minnie replies that his uncle already has money, he's not looking for cash he's in love. And the worst part is it is true. Ernest had everything he wanted. A Woman he loved, money, respect in town, a big house and lots of nice things, wonderful children. And he fucks it all up for just a little more.

Every scene between him and Molly just begs for an intrusion onto the screen so you can slap the poo poo out of him and get him to realize how badly his greed and his uncle's influence has warped his mind.
frankly i would've liked a scene where the osage nation tore the perpetrators limb from limb, historical accuracy be damned