Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vookatos posted:

Yeah, obviously familiar with those ones. Kinda hated Xenoblade after the first game (haven't tried X, but played 2 which provided a similar thing but had a bad story, and 3 which I thought was bad in both departments)

I specified X because it goes way, way harder on the open world exploration than any of the others. It has the worst plot of any of them too but the easiest to ignore too, I enjoyed it for a good 60 hours just exploring this stupendously huge and detailed alien planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

fez_machine posted:

Knytt
Alba: A Wildlife Adventure
Crystal Project
The Supraland Games
Morels: The Hunt
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicle
Eastshade
Umurangi Generation
Minit
Mirror Moon EP
Those are some really interesting games! I've played Umurangi, Minit, and Crystal Project (the exploration of the last one is a blast!), and the others look very cool! Didn't expect to get a bunch of really weird niche games recommended considering I can compare what I want to a lot of pretty popular games and big RPGs. Feel like I have a nice long list of what to check out now when I'm in the mood for this stuff!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vookatos posted:

Crystal Project (the exploration of the last one is a blast!)

CrossCode might also work

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

Oh drat, that unlocked a memory. Yeah, I loved that one, but barely thought about it later. Really enjoyed it! If anyone comes into this thread looking for jRPG games, I feel like both Crystal Project and Crosscode are really high on the list for me.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Vookatos posted:

Those are some really interesting games! I've played Umurangi, Minit, and Crystal Project (the exploration of the last one is a blast!), and the others look very cool! Didn't expect to get a bunch of really weird niche games recommended considering I can compare what I want to a lot of pretty popular games and big RPGs. Feel like I have a nice long list of what to check out now when I'm in the mood for this stuff!

No worries, I've been chasing a similar need for a while so I've dug deep over the years.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
what has everyone been doing when it comes to podcast games?

my usual games over the last few years have been arpgs (taking a break from POE and don't really enjoy any others), paradox games and vampiresurvivorslikes, but I am bored of all the options I have on my plate at the moment

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Super Mario Bros X. There's some really good modules that keep you in your toes without getting romhack-sadistic, it's like playing through the memory of the 90s games with new level design and gimmicks

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There's a randomizer for basically every classic 8-16 bit era game now, those are a lot of fun in that regard.

tbh though 95% of my play-while-podcasting time is still either Minecraft or a city/settlement builder. Been on a Songs of Syx kick lately.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

KoldPT posted:

my usual games over the last few years have been arpgs (taking a break from POE and don't really enjoy any others), paradox games and vampiresurvivorslikes, but I am bored of all the options I have on my plate at the moment

Yeah, ARPGS or bullet heaven games are best for podcasts, imo. I recently got back into Last Epoch after being disappointed by Diablo 4.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

KoldPT posted:

Sailwind, it's in early access though if that's a deal breaker. Sail around the map trading between islands and poo poo. Perfect for podcasts.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Looking for a Metroidvania in the vein of the Castlevania Advance Collection and Bloodstained. I looked at Blasphemous, but it says 'Souls-like' and I don't care for games that are Souls-like in difficulty.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cornwind Evil posted:

Looking for a Metroidvania in the vein of the Castlevania Advance Collection and Bloodstained. I looked at Blasphemous, but it says 'Souls-like' and I don't care for games that are Souls-like in difficulty.

Touhou Luna Nights
Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
Axiom Verge
Blaster Master Zero
SteamWorld Dig 2
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Chicory: A Colorful Tale
Yoku's Island Express

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
I just played through Outer Wilds on recommendation from this thread, and just wow. If you have even a minor appreciation for puzzle games and good environment design then go check this one out for sure. Try not to read anything going in.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So earlier this year, I got back into playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare II, and I was playing that for a while, but it got to the point where I felt like it was monopolizing my time where I was trying to unlock all the battle pass tiers, as well as accomplish any other time-limited challenges there were.The one multiplayer map I played the most was Shipment 24/7, because it was just kind of an goofy meat grinder of blasting the enemy team, dying, and respawning immediately (it made getting weapon camos pretty simple for the most part).

I decided to go back to playing Team Fortress 2, but...I dunno, TF2 just doesn't click for me as well as it used to. I think I got so accustomed to how fast opponents die in MWII that TF2's combat feels kind of stiff and spongy in comparison. Then again, maybe I just played maps that I didn't enjoy that much. With TF2, I played a couple of the new Halloween maps via Casual matchmaking, and on a community server running 24/7 Turbine with a 64 player cap (which is unbalanced, but having more players is always interesting).

Is there another good online FPS game out now that I should check out?

I know one of the big surprise hits this year was BattleBit Remastered, and that seemed really impressive as a Battlefield clone with a massive player count (254 per server). However, I've never played any of the Battlefield games (I do have Battlefield 1 and Battlefield V), so I don't know how easy those are to play and excel in.

I also heard WH40K: Darktide got an update that improved the game. I played Vermintide 2, but with that game, it didn't seem like there was much replay value after finishing all the missions (though that was back in 2018).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

So earlier this year, I got back into playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare II, and I was playing that for a while, but it got to the point where I felt like it was monopolizing my time where I was trying to unlock all the battle pass tiers, as well as accomplish any other time-limited challenges there were.The one multiplayer map I played the most was Shipment 24/7, because it was just kind of an goofy meat grinder of blasting the enemy team, dying, and respawning immediately (it made getting weapon camos pretty simple for the most part).

I decided to go back to playing Team Fortress 2, but...I dunno, TF2 just doesn't click for me as well as it used to. I think I got so accustomed to how fast opponents die in MWII that TF2's combat feels kind of stiff and spongy in comparison. Then again, maybe I just played maps that I didn't enjoy that much. With TF2, I played a couple of the new Halloween maps via Casual matchmaking, and on a community server running 24/7 Turbine with a 64 player cap (which is unbalanced, but having more players is always interesting).

Is there another good online FPS game out now that I should check out?

I know one of the big surprise hits this year was BattleBit Remastered, and that seemed really impressive as a Battlefield clone with a massive player count (254 per server). However, I've never played any of the Battlefield games (I do have Battlefield 1 and Battlefield V), so I don't know how easy those are to play and excel in.

I also heard WH40K: Darktide got an update that improved the game. I played Vermintide 2, but with that game, it didn't seem like there was much replay value after finishing all the missions (though that was back in 2018).

Deep Rock Galactic

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Hwurmp posted:

Seconding this, it's a wonderful game and has a great exploration aspect.

It also has fantastic puzzles, but if they're not your thing it has adjustable difficulty sliders.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I'm waiting till Black Friday to get a new graphics card and looking for something to hold me and my gf over until we play Alan Wake 2.

We don't really have a tv show to watch, or a game to play together right now, so I'm looking for something that's like both. We've already played Quantum Break and Alan Wake. We don't love those games, but they have fun structured narratives that we enjoy the momentum and twists of. We don't really like watching multiple LONG cutscenes (like more than 10-15 minutes) like there were in Quantum Break. Having a 10 minute cutscene, followed by 10 minutes of gameplay, followed by another 10 minute cutscene is ok. We like some Give and Take with cutscenes and gameplay.

The game has to be in English and fully/mostly voice acted. We were replaying the Witcher 3 and we love the writing in that, but the open world element makes it a bit of a slog compared to what we want, especially for the person who isn't playing the game and exploring and looting.

We like 80's action/horror and fun supernatural weird stuff like Twin Peaks. We don't really like fantasy, but the Witcher 3 is a exception because it has a great sense of humor and a somewhat psychedelic feel we can connect with.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fighting Elegy posted:

I'm waiting till Black Friday to get a new graphics card and looking for something to hold me and my gf over until we play Alan Wake 2.

We don't really have a tv show to watch, or a game to play together right now, so I'm looking for something that's like both. We've already played Quantum Break and Alan Wake. We don't love those games, but they have fun structured narratives that we enjoy the momentum and twists of. We don't really like watching multiple LONG cutscenes (like more than 10-15 minutes) like there were in Quantum Break. Having a 10 minute cutscene, followed by 10 minutes of gameplay, followed by another 10 minute cutscene is ok. We like some Give and Take with cutscenes and gameplay.

The game has to be in English and fully/mostly voice acted. We were replaying the Witcher 3 and we love the writing in that, but the open world element makes it a bit of a slog compared to what we want, especially for the person who isn't playing the game and exploring and looting.

We like 80's action/horror and fun supernatural weird stuff like Twin Peaks. We don't really like fantasy, but the Witcher 3 is a exception because it has a great sense of humor and a somewhat psychedelic feel we can connect with.

Bugsnax

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fighting Elegy posted:

Have you played Control? If not, then you should play Control and the AWE DLC before Alan Wake 2.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Please purchase, enjoy, and then get extremely pissed at Indigo Prophecy.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Have you played Control? If not, then you should play Control and the AWE DLC before Alan Wake 2.

I just played Control and I'll probably watch cutscene compilations for the DLC just cause I'm a little sick of the gameplay now. It's weird with Remedy games, the gameplay and writing is what I would describe as "not bad", but I do love what the games are doing and wish more games were doing it.

I would do a Death Stranding replay but i will ideally wait until a release date is announced for DS2 before I do that.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Shine posted:

Please purchase, enjoy, and then get extremely pissed at Indigo Prophecy.

I was so excited for this game. I started to feel weird about it while playing the guitar minigame in which the objective is to have sex with your girlfriend, and then very angry toward the end. I don't think I even finished it.

It had a very cool demo in which you "wake up" in a bathroom in the middle of a murder scene and have to figure out how to get out without being caught. If it stayed in that lane, it would have been very enjoyable. But no, David Cage just can't be normal.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Fighting Elegy posted:

There's the Wales Interactive Games: https://www.walesinteractive.com/ and https://store.steampowered.com/developer/WalesInteractive

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy from what I hear is paced with sections of walk and talk followed by a bit of gameplay and then back to the walk and talk.

As Dusk Falls

Road 96

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fighting Elegy posted:

I just played Control and I'll probably watch cutscene compilations for the DLC just cause I'm a little sick of the gameplay now. It's weird with Remedy games, the gameplay and writing is what I would describe as "not bad", but I do love what the games are doing and wish more games were doing it.

I would do a Death Stranding replay but i will ideally wait until a release date is announced for DS2 before I do that.

I wonder if you'd like playing the Mass Effect Trilogy? Weirdly, Control's gameplay felt to me like it was trying to copy a lot of aspects from Mass Effect 2's gameplay. The Vanguard is all about using your powers to turn yourself into a missile to slam into enemies and beat them up from close range (the most unique class in the series and a fan favorite). The Engineer has powers that can fire blasts and also hack robots (like Control's "sieze") and with that and drones and the squad mechanics, you can practically not bother with shooting your weapon and just play it as an RTS. The Sentinel has armor that's a bit like the "shield" power. And then the Adept is all about throwing around psychic powers that don't exactly have the same physics tomfoolery as Control, but you can throw around enemies (Vanguard and Sentinel also have a little of that).

And then on top of that, the Mass Effect series is a pretty cinematic and it's fun to follow the story even if the last game famously doesn't end well.

Barring that, maybe you'd like Prey, that's a creepy game with a lot of intrigue.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Final Fantasy VII Remake ticks a lot of your boxes apart from being, well, fantasy - although it's got some dieselpunk mixed in with the swords and sorcery, and like the Witcher 3 has some very funny moments.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Any good open world exploration games people can recommend? Particularly ones with a well constructed world to explore and experience; I'm coming off a Freelancer kick, still a delight to go back and play. More than the arcade-y space shooting I find the compelling part to be the world that feels like a functioning setting on its own, rather than window dressing around the player. Even just reading the historical entries included with each station is great. On the other hand I played through Chorvs and a bit of Everspace 2, but found the worlds feeling empty and the whole "people piloting ships speaking like they are people walking around together" just unbelievably irritating.

Bonus points I guess if it's a medieval or ancient sort of vibe, previously I very much enjoyed Kingdom Come: Deliverance, would love to play that sort of thing in another setting.

Other games I've very much enjoyed just to throw them out there are the Paradox staples CK3, EU4, Stellaris, the survival and progression aspects of Valheim and Minecraft, and Fallout 3 (though I found later Fallouts very underwhelming; haven't tried Starfield as so many people have told me it's not worth it).

E: PC and Switch are the platforms I have. Question was mostly PC directed but wouldn't say no to a switch title that looked interesting; played the last two Zelda games which were great, and Pokemon Scarlet which was fine.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 6, 2023

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Any good open world exploration games people can recommend? Particularly ones with a well constructed world to explore and experience; I'm coming off a Freelancer kick, still a delight to go back and play. More than the arcade-y space shooting I find the compelling part to be the world that feels like a functioning setting on its own, rather than window dressing around the player. Even just reading the historical entries included with each station is great. On the other hand I played through Chorvs and a bit of Everspace 2, but found the worlds feeling empty and the whole "people piloting ships speaking like they are people walking around together" just unbelievably irritating.

Bonus points I guess if it's a medieval or ancient sort of vibe, previously I very much enjoyed Kingdom Come: Deliverance, would love to play that sort of thing in another setting.

Other games I've very much enjoyed just to throw them out there are the Paradox staples CK3, EU4, Stellaris, the survival and progression aspects of Valheim and Minecraft, and Fallout 3 (though I found later Fallouts very underwhelming; haven't tried Starfield as so many people have told me it's not worth it).

Spiderweb Software games might be of interest, pick whichever of their series of game interests you the most

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Fighting Elegy posted:

If Witcher 3 works for you somewhat in terms of fantasy but very humorous and psychedelic, then you could look into playing Baldur's Gate 3: lots of fun characters and roleplaying and cinematic story developments and full voice acting, and you have the option to play it coop where you each have a character, or just play it solo and have fun discussing what choices you wanna pick for your shared character and such. 'Course, similar to Witcher 3, you could get a bit lost at times scavenging and questing, but I'd say that it all feels like important progression and the pacing is a much better.

Other than that, sounds like you can look into cinematic/movie games in general, such as Last of Us, Until Dawn, Mass Effect, Detroit Become Human, God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, Resident Evil 4, and if you want coop, consider A Way Out, It Takes Two, etc.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 6, 2023

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Barring that, maybe you'd like Prey, that's a creepy game with a lot of intrigue.

I love Prey. It was actually a bit hard to come around to Control because Prey does a lot of the same stuff story-wise, while also feeling like it isn't trying super-hard, while Remedy games have a very try-hard element to the writing (which I do find endearing). I also think gameplay-wise it's the only true modern immersive sim, and also the best immersive sim of all time on top of that.

FutureCop posted:

If Witcher 3 works for you somewhat in terms of fantasy but very humorous and psychedelic, then you could look into playing Baldur's Gate 3: lots of fun characters and roleplaying and cinematic story developments and full voice acting, and you have the option to play it coop where you each have a character, or just play it solo and have fun discussing what choices you wanna pick for your shared character and such. 'Course, similar to Witcher 3, you could get a bit lost at times scavenging and questing, but I'd say that it all feels like important progression and the pacing is a much better.

Other than that, sounds like you can look into cinematic/movie games in general, such as Last of Us, Until Dawn, Mass Effect, Detroit Become Human, God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, Resident Evil 4, and if you want coop, consider A Way Out, It Takes Two, etc.

i think BG3 might just be the one for us. My gf hates overhead view games (and tbh I prefer more modern stuff) but everyone loves BG3 and some of what I've seen from it has the vibe we like.

I've played, and mostly loved, every game on your list besides for God Of War and Detroit. With A Way Out and It Takes Two, I feel like Hazelight is sort of similar to Remedy in that their games are mostly good yet flawed, but they're doing something different and (mostly) making it work. I like seeing them get all the praise they get and hope it leads to more cool stuff from other game makers.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Any good open world exploration games people can recommend? Particularly ones with a well constructed world to explore and experience

Assassin's Creed: Origins and Odyssey, while being the bog-standard Ubisoft open worlds with everything that entails, have some really cool historical locales. Just sailing around ancient Greece and visiting lovingly reconstructed temples is quite fun.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Fighting Elegy posted:

SLEEPING DOGS

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Fighting Elegy posted:

If you have access to a PS4 at all, Until Dawn would be perfect. I believe you can play it on PC too, through PS Now, if you don't mind the ballache of setting that up. (It's worth it imho, the game is fantastic.)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Fighting Elegy posted:

If you want something to watch and like Twin Peaks, may I suggest watching the Let’s Play of Deadly Premonition by supergreatfriend? Deadly Premonition is Swery’s love letter to the show and is similar in tone and style. I watched it with my wife and we both loved it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

If you want something to watch and like Twin Peaks, may I suggest watching the Let’s Play of Deadly Premonition by supergreatfriend? I watched it with my wife and we both loved it.

Same

E: We noticed some trees covered with startlingly red leaves today. Crazy how Deadly Premonition and that lp are still a talking point for us years later.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 6, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

PittTheElder posted:

Any good open world exploration games people can recommend? Particularly ones with a well constructed world to explore and experience; I'm coming off a Freelancer kick, still a delight to go back and play. More than the arcade-y space shooting I find the compelling part to be the world that feels like a functioning setting on its own, rather than window dressing around the player. Even just reading the historical entries included with each station is great.

Bonus points I guess if it's a medieval or ancient sort of vibe
Darklands.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Hi all, posted the below in the Steam thread because I am stupid but was pointed here:

Olewithmilk posted:

This seems to be the closest thing we have to a recommend a game thread, and I wondered if anyone could help me. I don't have access to my gaming PC at the moment (not due to rehab) and my current laptop's specifications are:

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4020 CPU @ 1.10GHz
Installed RAM: 4.00 GB (3.83 GB usable)
Graphics card: Haha, yeah right.

I've just enjoyed playing Moonring on it, with only small performance issues (I think when a scan was running in the background). Basically, I wondered if there were any similar new-ish games that I would be able to run? Open for literally anything, really just want something to relax with in the evening.

Thanks!

I am a sick man, and by 'relax' I do mean sometimes get really hella mad at a difficult RPG or read pages of incredibly dense lore contained within a game that looks like my uncle coded it in the 70s. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It's not new but I ran Dark Scavenger on a computer with similar specs. It's a fun adventure game/rpg hybrid where you're constantly McGuyvering the items you find into a big pile of disposable weapons to use in combat and exploration. It's short but has a good sense of humor, and it's pretty replayable since every item can be turned into 3 different things.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Olewithmilk posted:

Hi all, posted the below in the Steam thread because I am stupid but was pointed here:

I am a sick man, and by 'relax' I do mean sometimes get really hella mad at a difficult RPG or read pages of incredibly dense lore contained within a game that looks like my uncle coded it in the 70s. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Deadly Rooms Of Death

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Olewithmilk posted:

its not an RPG (well adventure mode kinda is, it's not available on the Steam version yet but is on the regular one) but you sound like you have a broken brain like me that would love Dwarf Fortress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Olewithmilk posted:

UnReal World should run on a decent potato.