Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Grip it and rip it posted:

You think they're intentionally injecting graphic ads into children's cellphone games? To what end?

coordinated efforts to gently caress with children have been a thing for a while

it can be about seeding propaganda, or it can be about just wanting to hurt kids, or a secret third thing that only the freaks who do it understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kith posted:

coordinated efforts to gently caress with children have been a thing for a while

it can be about seeding propaganda, or it can be about just wanting to hurt kids, or a secret third thing that only the freaks who do it understand

Are you seriously implying that the Elsagate thing was an Israeli plot?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

psydude fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 31, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

psydude posted:

Are you seriously implying that the Elsagate thing was an Israeli plot?

No they're not, reel your neck in. They're saying that coordinated efforts to put disturbing content in front of children to upset them and cause discord have been a thing for a while.

In this case, putting disturbing propaganda in front of children will cause them to bring it to their parents, and the parents may absorb the propaganda vs discard it because they're concerned for their child's well being.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Wow that all definitely sounds more reasonable and likely than the advertising landscape for cellphone games being an unregulated mess.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

both things can be true

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kith posted:

both things are true

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I bet we're going to discover one day that skibidi toilet was a psyop all along.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Wasabi the J posted:

I find it hard to believe that Israel the country with multiple cyber warfare, intelligence and espionage agencies didn't know what they were doing

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/29/world/middleeast/israel-intelligence-hamas-attack.html

quote:

Their judgment that night might have been different had they been listening to traffic on the (cheap, shoddy chinese made) hand-held radios of Hamas militants. But Unit 8200, Israel’s signals intelligence agency, had stopped eavesdropping on those networks a year earlier because they saw it as a waste of effort.

After the fighting had stopped, Israeli soldiers found hand-held radios on the dead bodies of some of the Hamas militants — the same radios that Israeli intelligence officials had decided a year ago were no longer worth monitoring.

Don't underestimate their hubris.

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008
The digital advertising ecosystem runs on huge digital clearinghouses where ad inventory is bid on in real time, not unsimilar to high-frequency stock market trading. There are so many layers of ad exchanges, monetization networks, publishers, demand-side and sell-side platform providers, marketing companies, and data brokers that there's no realistic way to do something like avoid children outright. I'd argue that this system is basically intended to just provide whichever customer is one rung up the ladder their plausible deniability.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dopilsya posted:

I can speak a bit to this. Fair warning on this topic I think right-wing evangelicals and in particular premillenial dispensationalists are a blight on modern Christianity and am unable to give an objective view. Anyway, for the most part they think they'll be raptured beforehand. Later the antichrist will seize control of the world and launch an attack on Israel. With the evangelicals gone, America will lose all its morals and decency and will probably be ruled by Barack HUSSEIN Obumbler or that witch Hillary by that point, and Democrats hate Israel so naturally they'll join in to attack it. The majority of Jews will be killed, but a few will realize that the evangelicals were right all along and throw themselves down begging for help, at which point Jesus along with his heavenly host will rescue the ones who convert. You might also wonder why a religious framework that culminates in the annihilation of the Jews calls everyone else anti-semitic, and it's pretty much all projection. Usually these guys are anti-semitic as gently caress, but ending the Jews is a job for the Christian endtimes, Hamas is moving in on their turf!

That's not a complete timeline, what events happen varies heavily between groups who all say this is from a "literal" reading of the Bible. In any event, this prophecy was basically made up out of whole cloth in the 1800s by John Darby and was further refined by Cyrus Scofield. It's formed by taking unrelated passages from various books of the prophets and Revelation and smushing them together, running them through a particular frame, and selectively reinterpreting or ignoring passages in order to get it to say what you want (which is basically "literalism" in a nutshell). Usually modern supporters aren't even drinking direct from the well, though, they're getting the ideas from failed prognosticators like Hal Lindsey and LaHaye & Jenkins of Left Behind fame.

eta- kind of a worthless snipe, but I don't have any news to share that hasn't already been discussed by the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl4mCc6Ff34

I find my apocalypse learning goes down better with puppets. Also gently caress TBN for trying to monetize this poo poo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Well unlike the hospital, there is no denying the responsibility for this one: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67276822.amp

Dozens of refugees bombed to get one Hamas member.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Well, of they were nearby, they were obviously Hamas supporters! ~GWOT Logic~

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well unlike the hospital, there is no denying the responsibility for this one: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67276822.amp

Dozens of refugees bombed to get one Hamas member.

Wolf Blitzer asked about it point blank on live TV and the answer was basically "yep, that was us, them's the breaks"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
clearly the behind the scenes efforts to reign in israel are working very well and the US's both stated and unstated policy that if you want to get israel to do something don't criticize them in public at all is also proving a resounding success. no doubt it is great comfort to the palestinians getting bombed that they now have internet service again while their loved ones and houses blow up

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i do very much commend anyone working to get Israel to dial the brutality against civilians back even if I think it's not nearly effective enough. that's got to be some bleak as gently caress work right now

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

not directed at any one poster but:

reigning is ruling.

reining is pulling on a lead, like the reins of a horse.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Just watched a wonderful take which explained with a straight face that Israel's 21st century border defense system was just too modern for Hamas's 20th century infiltration tactics, so Israel can't be blamed too much for failing to mitigate the threat.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLvt8PNhCI

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

Just watched a wonderful take which explained with a straight face that Israel's 21st century border defense system was just too modern for Hamas's 20th century infiltration tactics, so Israel can't be blamed too much for failing to mitigate the threat.

Next time chariots

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I noticed in my tik tok feed, a surge of comments evoking the holocaust; however tenuously linked, to something otherwise unrelated to the OP tik tok.

A tik tok about workers rights being impinged in Ghana (I'm in West Africa).
A comment reads; "Yeah, this really sucks, at least it was not like how Jews were forced to work as slaves during WWII"

Maybe it is just because of current events that it has people thinking more about the past but I would not be surprised if it is part of industrialized social media public perception shaping campaign. I would further not be surprised if the old "get to 'em young, the younger the better*, also shock tactics are awesome", was not also front and center in the minds of people and decision makers.

*which had to be outlawed specifically in countries like Australia due to how much advertisers love to target kids for all manner of things, anyone else remember FAGS lollies?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orange juche posted:

No they're not, reel your neck in. They're saying that coordinated efforts to put disturbing content in front of children to upset them and cause discord have been a thing for a while.

In this case, putting disturbing propaganda in front of children will cause them to bring it to their parents, and the parents may absorb the propaganda vs discard it because they're concerned for their child's well being.

This is something Twitter people have been doing in Splatoon for ages lol

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
A good thread.

https://twitter.com/Ruwa4Georgia/status/1719432988113428685?s=19

Herstory Begins Now posted:

no doubt it is great comfort to the palestinians getting bombed that they now have internet service again while their loved ones and houses blow up

We are pleased to regret to inform you that you can now receive real-time alerts of your family's deaths. Third-party messaging fees may apply. Reply STOP to unsubscribe.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

WSJ is reporting that the US apparently stopped collecting intelligence in Palestine after 9/11 and just trusted the Israelis to do it instead.

(non-paywalled link)

https://www.wsj.com/politics/nation...share_permalink

Oops.

quote:

WASHINGTON—U.S. intelligence agencies all but stopped spying on Hamas and other violent Palestinian groups in the years after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the U.S., instead directing resources to the hunt for the leaders of al Qaeda and, later, Islamic State, according to U.S. officials familiar with the shift.

Calculating that Hamas had never directly threatened the U.S. and burdened with other spying priorities, Washington ceded the responsibility to Israel, confident that its aggressive security services would detect any threat, the U.S. officials said. It should have been “a well-placed bet,” said one senior counterterrorism official.

With more than 30 Americans dead and 10 missing, mounting fears of a regional war, and billions of dollars in U.S. military hardware headed to the Middle East since Hamas’s Oct. 7 attacks on Israel, some officials say the U.S. misjudged the threat to U.S. national security.

“In terms of intelligence failures, which really do lie mostly on Israel, I think we should also share some blame for missing this event,” said Marc Polymeropoulos, a retired CIA operations officer with extensive counterterrorism experience. “Ceding the target to the Israelis now looks to have had consequences.”

“I don’t recall at the time anybody saying you were focusing too much on al Qaeda,” a former senior CIA official said.

Emile Nakhleh, who led the CIA’s Political Islam analysis unit, said Israel and the U.S. have misread Hamas before, including when it shocked the West by winning elections in 2006 after Israel left Gaza. U.S. intelligence assessed at the time that important factions within the group favored engagement with Israel, but the prospect was never explored, said Nakhleh, now director of National Security Programs at the University of New Mexico.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

lol that dude doing a self bleeping thing is about as annoying as any youtube practice I've ever seen. holy smokes

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Discussion Quorum posted:

A good thread.

https://twitter.com/Ruwa4Georgia/status/1719432988113428685?s=19

We are pleased to regret to inform you that you can now receive real-time alerts of your family's deaths. Third-party messaging fees may apply. Reply STOP to unsubscribe.

Sorry to be that guy but because Elon sucks and I don't have a Twitter account anymore, I can't read this. The unroller app only works if you have a premium account now. Could someone do the needful? Thanks!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Handsome Ralph posted:

Sorry to be that guy but because Elon sucks and I don't have a Twitter account anymore, I can't read this. The unroller app only works if you have a premium account now. Could someone do the needful? Thanks!

https://nitter.net/Ruwa4Georgia/status/1719432988113428685

It's a bit awkward on mobile but generally replacing twitter.com with nitter.net works.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

mrmcd posted:

https://nitter.net/Ruwa4Georgia/status/1719432988113428685

It's a bit awkward on mobile but generally replacing twitter.com with nitter.net works.

Awesome, thanks so much!

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Handsome Ralph posted:

Sorry to be that guy but because Elon sucks and I don't have a Twitter account anymore, I can't read this. The unroller app only works if you have a premium account now.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that, but I am.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah twitter embeds haven't worked for ages and clicking a link brings up a "sorry we can't find that" page since twitter also doesn't work.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Twitter embeds still work for me :shrug:

Really wish we just jumped to Bluesky, though.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah twitter embeds haven't worked for ages and clicking a link brings up a "sorry we can't find that" page since twitter also doesn't work.

It is really hit and miss with Twitter.

Sometimes the link works, other times it doesn't. Sometimes the post displays on mobile, sometimes not. Sometimes the embeds on my desktop browser act like broken tables.

At this point I think it is safe to assume that no one else can see the Tweet link/embed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Twitter has two employees left, and each of them spend their shift holding the button down that says "site works." Sometimes they slip, sometimes they're on break, sometimes it's graveyard and nobody is there.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://x.com/spectatorindex/status/1719836692545450036?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol ok

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Gone, like warm piss in the cold ocean. Anyone take a screenshot of whatever it was?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

bsky-social-cpy2l-437ay

bsky-social-mggyw-ffqt4

E: one of these got took, I won’t follow you or be weird, Goonspeed you weird beasts

bloody ghost titty fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 2, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Gone, like warm piss in the cold ocean. Anyone take a screenshot of whatever it was?

Some drivel about the White House expecting Netanyahu's political career to end over the attack on Israel

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

bloody ghost titty posted:

bsky-social-cpy2l-437ay

bsky-social-mggyw-ffqt4

E: one of these got took, I won’t follow you or be weird, Goonspeed you weird beasts

bsky-social-kqutp-p5td5

bsky-social-gzobf-heszs

bsky-social-ozzq5-2b3vm

bsky-social-oyyzw-hdmlk

bsky-social-b666j-qoekb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

my kinda ape posted:

bsky-social-kqutp-p5td5