Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

corona familiar posted:

I prefer SPD saddles

The ones that don’t make you walk funny?

Pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wibble posted:

Last year I read in this very thread about how saddles with holes in them were the best. Rather than buying a new fancy one, I went on Aliexpress and bought a "fake" one for $10. So I wouldnt have to risk much money if it wasnt the best for me. It wasnt until now that I got around to fitting it and I've found it to be one of the most comfy saddles ever.

So now I'm looking at all the fancy new saddles but the problem is that the $10 saddle seems to be actually rather good and comfy. Is there any advanages over a new specialized saddle verus a no name brand from china?

gonna get lead poisoning in your butt :ohdear:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Of course it's designed by the British, the most perverted of all the world's peoples

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Of course it's designed by the British, the most perverted of all the world's peoples

We were just talking two pages back about an Italian pervert

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
they're not lying, it's definitely "more than just a seat"

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
no better feeling than an ftp test that goes better than expected! turns out I'm more or less exactly in equal shape as at my all-time peak in august of '22! :toot: (except I weigh a couple kg less and am now also doing strength training :doubletoot:)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

this looks like it's only for pretty upright postures

mystes
May 31, 2006

I got this rockbros windproof cycling cap with ear flaps and a visor for colder weather and I love it because there's a large size which actually fits, it was pretty cheap, it's thin so it works perfectly under a helmet, and it's really well made, but it just blocks a surprising amount of noise to the point where I can't hear cars approaching at all so I think I need to find something else

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

I got this rockbros windproof cycling cap with ear flaps and a visor for colder weather and I love it because there's a large size which actually fits, it was pretty cheap, it's thin so it works perfectly under a helmet, and it's really well made, but it just blocks a surprising amount of noise to the point where I can't hear cars approaching at all so I think I need to find something else

Do you have a mirror?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yes but I still feel safer being able to hear cars

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I get that. Unfortunately, one of my ears could care less, so it's always an issue for me, which means I've kind-of gotten used to it.

I know there's a radar thing that one company makes, but I don't know about compatibility with bike computers or price.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

tarlibone posted:

I know there's a radar thing that one company makes, but I don't know about compatibility with bike computers or price.

garmin makes the only one I've ever seen people use (the Varia) and it actually has surprisingly good compatibility with stuff, Wahoo Elemnt and the Hammerhead Karoo both support it and it also has iOS/Android apps if you have a phone mount

it's kind of worthless for city riding because, well, the thing would never stop beeping, but I've considered getting one now that I've been doing more suburban-ish road riding. not really sure how useful "a car is about to hit you!" is as a warning when I'm riding on a 45mph road with barely any shoulder tho

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s supremely useful. I’ll ride more in the middle of the road, when it alerts me you still have many seconds before they’re right behind you. As they get closer I can slide over to the side which ends up giving more of a lateral gap than it would otherwise.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Definitely recommend a Varia - works w cycling head units, watches, even smartphones

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, I get that. Unfortunately, one of my ears could care less, so it's always an issue for me, which means I've kind-of gotten used to it.

Have a Garmin varia. Do recommend (for not city riding).

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

abraham linksys posted:

it's kind of worthless for city riding because, well, the thing would never stop beeping, but I've considered getting one now that I've been doing more suburban-ish road riding. not really sure how useful "a car is about to hit you!" is as a warning when I'm riding on a 45mph road with barely any shoulder tho

I used to feel this way but it actually loving slaps for city riding. You can set it to not beep, or to only beep when an initial car enter radar view and once more when the stack is cleared which is the setting I use.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mystes posted:

I got decent windblocking results with pulling the back of my buff up over my hair and ears.
The noise reduction was noticeable but not complete, and overall a welcome change with the improvement in warmth.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Turns out when I asked specialized for a warranty replacement of my power mirror saddle (the 3d printed one) because I thought the seat rails were loose...........turns out they're fine it's actually the seatpost not holding the oval rails tight enough 🤷‍♂️

They sent me a replacement without even a verification so it must happen often enough

Specialized definitely has a very generous warranty policy.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have the varia radar with a camera. It doesn't work that great and I barely bother to use it.

Whenever a car comes up behind me but can't pass and matches my speed it will just disappear and the radar gives an all clear signal. Sometimes it will also give false signals but that's pretty rare. Also if you're on a path or frontage road it'll pick up traffic from nearby roads from a pretty surprising distance to the sides. The range is like 450ft or so, but on higher speed roads there's not very much warning of cars behind you.

The camera is also fairly lovely, every time i've gone back and looked at a clip i haven't been able to read a license plate. Plus the just facing backward view isn't that useful. You can't really tell how close a car is and it misses a lot. It's also very annoying to sort through and view footage since it saves in 30s long clips, even if you're on continuous filming mode (vs having the camera only come on when radar is detecting something).

Also the settings that are supposed to overlay position and speed on the video don't work.

I've tried contacting garmin support but they haven't provided any sort of an actual answer to anything i've brought up and just keep saying "ok we'll pass it on to engineering and get back to you."

It's also fairly heavy and bulky and while the mount and interface to the varia itself is nice, it still just straps to your seatpost with a rubber band which is annoying to swap between bikes. the big band is looser than I'd like on a 31.6 post and the small one is really tight on a 27.2. I would like to mount it to the holes on the bottom of my saddle but the saddle rail mount kits that have a gopro style tab have been out of stock.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 1, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
When do bike shops get 2024 bikes in for the next year? ie, when are the lowest discounts on bikes from last year?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

mystes posted:

lol yeah I had an outdoor reserch (or similar) peruvian cap and as I was about to carry my bike across the train tracks I looked over my shoulder and noticed an oncoming freight train that I did not hear :stare:

Residency Evil posted:

When do bike shops get 2024 bikes in for the next year? ie, when are the lowest discounts on bikes from last year?

the best discounts are probably thanksgiving/black friday and on through january

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
New bikes get released pretty continuously throughout the year now and there's a bit of a move toward not having a "new model year" every year especially when there's not anything changing. Like the new trek supercaliber and slash were just released in the last few months so probably not going to see those on discount just because they're "2023 bikes."

But if you live somewhere with winter, in stock bikes are usually going to be on some sort of a sale. Even if it's not listed you cam probably ask and be like "so anything on sale?" and they might take a bit off the price.

Pre-season orders for next year are generally happening around now and then new bikes will show up sometime by like march, for us in montana anyway.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

osker posted:

I used to feel this way but it actually loving slaps for city riding. You can set it to not beep, or to only beep when an initial car enter radar view and once more when the stack is cleared which is the setting I use.

Agreed. Have Varia, fuckin love it for city riding. Just turn off the beep.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

They could make it alert on cars moving the same speed as you, but then if you stopped moving it would alert on any nearby metal objects. The thing doesn't actually know the difference between cars and a guardrail, it's ignoring anything that isn't moving closer to the radar.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7bmyGI6qQwc&pp=ygURQWx3YXlzIHN1bm55IGJpa2U%3D

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

brand engager posted:

They could make it alert on cars moving the same speed as you, but then if you stopped moving it would alert on any nearby metal objects. The thing doesn't actually know the difference between cars and a guardrail, it's ignoring anything that isn't moving closer to the radar.

this sounds like something they should do in software? if a bike computer is doing the alerting and it has both cadence and speed data it should be able to tell when you're both moving and something is on your tail

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

osker posted:

Do they detect other bikes too? I can see a use on ebikes/escooters since there's so many fast and silent things about now. I got hit in the side on my ebike the other day when someone tried to overtake me as I turned at a crossing (he then tried to blame me lol).

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

corona familiar posted:

this sounds like something they should do in software? if a bike computer is doing the alerting and it has both cadence and speed data it should be able to tell when you're both moving and something is on your tail

These radars work by detecting a speed difference in something behind you, they don't actually build a full internal picture of the road behind you.

They're picking up on the doppler difference of moving cars vs the scenery moving vs you.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Heliosicle posted:

Do they detect other bikes too? I can see a use on ebikes/escooters since there's so many fast and silent things about now. I got hit in the side on my ebike the other day when someone tried to overtake me as I turned at a crossing (he then tried to blame me lol).

Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. It's far more accurate on car detection because they're bigger.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

meltie posted:

These radars work by detecting a speed difference in something behind you, they don't actually build a full internal picture of the road behind you.

They're picking up on the doppler difference of moving cars vs the scenery moving vs you.

A car approaching will have a blue shift, easy enough. A car falling behind will have a red shift that's less than that of the scenery, fine. A car that you've already passed going the other direction will have a red shift greater than that of the scenery. One behind you that's pacing your speed will have approximately no shift; I'm no expert and am not saying you're wrong, but I don't yet understand why the radar could not properly interpret a reflection with no frequency shift as "something is behind you going the same speed" and continue to alert appropriately?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
My guess is this was simply a conscious choice to make vehicles traveling at the same speed disappear as not to clutter the UX, especially since it's sensitive enough to pick up other cyclists (if you're on a group ride or something.)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Steve French posted:

A car approaching will have a blue shift, easy enough. A car falling behind will have a red shift that's less than that of the scenery, fine. A car that you've already passed going the other direction will have a red shift greater than that of the scenery. One behind you that's pacing your speed will have approximately no shift; I'm no expert and am not saying you're wrong, but I don't yet understand why the radar could not properly interpret a reflection with no frequency shift as "something is behind you going the same speed" and continue to alert appropriately?

I don't know. I'm not an expert either.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The soviets used a mirror

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
In Soviet Russia, car driver sees you!

... he wait a second....

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

TobinHatesYou posted:

My guess is this was simply a conscious choice to make vehicles traveling at the same speed disappear as not to clutter the UX, especially since it's sensitive enough to pick up other cyclists (if you're on a group ride or something.)
Agreed. And it doesn't bother me. I had a car slow down and disappear for me the other day too. You still know it's there.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
So, I slapped my Topeak trunk with the panniers on the All Road to give it a shot as an errand-runner. I was going to take the Escape, but I wanted to see how this bike did while laden with stuff.

The good: it rides fine, and the difference in feel between it and the Escape is noticeable. The steel bike is just nicer on the roads in my town. And while the Escape has a wider range of gears, my route was easily handled by the All Road. Oddly, the slightly more forward position than I have on the Escape makes the new bike feel more balanced fore-to-aft when it's laden, though to be fair, I was only carrying a bag of flour, two 2×4's of Stella, a pound of mozzarella, and one can each of crushed tomatoes and tomato paste.

The bad: more of a "duh" moment for me, really, but I really missed having a kickstand for this type of trip. Because of the wind direction, on the way home, I had to tight-roll my right pant leg to keep it out of the chain, so I had to lay the bike down. No big deal, since there was some grass. When I got home, though, I had to lean the bike against the garage door so I could unload it, and that was annoying. Easy enough, but annoying.

Funny thing is, I didn't see a cyclist until the moment that I laid the bike down to fix my pant leg. Right then, a guy on a bike came up behind me and asked if I was OK. I told him what was up, and he bid me adieu, reminding me to be careful.

Cyclists are great.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wish they make side stands that go near the rear axle area and don't look like absolute garbage

I don't like the center ones because you can't conveniently lube your chain with the stand down because the pedal catches the stand, also crap balance when you've got loaded panniers

Do they make an actual center stand for bikes that isn't trash? Like one with two legs that flip forward so the bike stands totally upright

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I wish they make side stands that go near the rear axle area and don't look like absolute garbage

I don't like the center ones because you can't conveniently lube your chain with the stand down because the pedal catches the stand, also crap balance when you've got loaded panniers

Do they make an actual center stand for bikes that isn't trash? Like one with two legs that flip forward so the bike stands totally upright

Do not get me started on rear-mount kickstands. My LBS, which I love deeply, has started using them on the new hybrids and such that they sell. My wife's Verve has one, and it makes getting the bike onto my Saris SuperClamp 2 difficult because if you have the drive side facing out, which you should, then that kickstand interferes with the arm of the rack if it's up. So, you have to rack the bike with the kickstand down, and that makes putting a second bike on the rack difficult. Possible, yes, but difficult.

The center-mount kickstand on my Escape is just the cheap one the LBS tossed on for free, and it works great, although the bike does lean--but that's by design; it increases stability. I got a similar one for my State 4130 single-speed, and it stands almost upright, so it's a bit less stable on the stand. It'd be nice to have one with legs on both sides of the center line of the bike, but I imagine that once the feet on such a stand are wide enough apart to create a stable enough resting position, they'd be in the way of your pedals when it was in the up position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve French posted:

I don't yet understand why the radar could not properly interpret a reflection with no frequency shift as "something is behind you going the same speed" and continue to alert appropriately?

The frequency of the emitted wave is filtered out in hardware.