Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Fortaleza posted:

You people are like parodies of goobers with terrible taste lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

i’ve not read the books but i understand the reason the series is so loved is becuse the later novels are off the wall insane fun?

God Emperor of Dune stars Paul's kid who is 3500 year old giant human/sandworm hybrid who spends the entire book plotting his own death and rides around on a giant Walmart scooter monologuing at everyone about how being emperor of the universe sucks . He got so mad at some rebels he jumps off his scooter and just rolls over them like a giant rolling pin.

My main problems with the new Dune movies were Timothy Chalamet, Zendaya, and Aquaman seem like really bad boring actors, and the washed out cold color pallet of the movie really sucked for the setting. As much as the plot revolves around Dune being so loving hot and dry, the color saturation should have been burning out my eyes like Fury Road.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

???

Arrakis in the books has a white sun, its actually canonically supposed to look washed out

edit: David Lynch and Jodorowsky have poisoned people's brains about what Dune "should" look like, which is especially weird because both (attempted) adaptations have just been them taking a giant poo poo all over the source material and either making one of the biggest flops in cinema history or getting their movie stuck in production hell for upwards of a decade

making GBS threads on the source material is a good thing in every adaptation. never adapt something while respecting the source material, it is a recipe for creating something bland and pointless

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

There came a point at which I couldn't listen to CN anymore because I only have so much appetite for "eating my vegetables" type listening

yeah, I'll scroll through the backlog and listen if I see a topic that sounds interesting but I don't just play it every week. It's amazing how much they sound like an NPR show, for good and for ill

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Danger posted:

Not sure what’s worse about those Villenueve conversation: so many people liking his most banal movie (Dune, which is dogshit but not as dogshit as Arrival) or no one at all mentioning his best (Incendies).

So I'm no one, huh?

Guess it's time to go kill a cyclop.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fortaleza posted:

You people are like parodies of goobers with terrible taste lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

guy who thinks brandon sanderson is what an author should be like: um dune is bad

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

guy who thinks brandon sanderson is what an author should be like: um dune is bad

Idk who that is because I'm not a nerd

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
that name sounds made up

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

keep it that way his poo poo is horrible

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
AiT says he's good apparently

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
His books are fun

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

AiT says he's good apparently

his shelves lined with Sanderson books and funko pops

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
that dune movie was so boring i left the theater halfway through to double check that it wasn't called "DUNE-OTHING"!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my bony fealty posted:

his shelves lined with Sanderson books and funko pops

jealous?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

that dune movie was so boring i left the theater halfway through to double check that it wasn't called "DUNE-OTHING"!

it is a faithful adaptation of the book yes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

His books are fun

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

mormon fantasy author who cranks out a prodigious amount of text but has never been described to me in a way that would make me want to read anything he wrote

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

yeah sanderson isn't great but he's catnip for a certain kind of nerd

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the hitlerian jihad

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Sanderson is good but he's no Erickson

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
DUNC is worth it simply for the sardaukar intro scene.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

DUNC is worth it simply for the sardaukar intro scene.

next time they should put a more interesting movie around their 5 minute short film then

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

dune is just too big a story for just 6 hours of movie time. it needs a series where it goes slow enough the season 1 finale is them moving to arrakis and Paul doesn't become Kwisatz Haderach until season 4 or 5. then there would be time to work in the ecology, the cultures, and the interpersonal relationships

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

is liking dune soy or is not liking dune soy. can we please come up with an answer to this soon, I’m getting anxious that I might be soy without knowing it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

anyone listen to some podcasts recently?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

is liking dune soy or is not liking dune soy

caring about whether the thing you like is soy, is soy

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blowback but for the emperor giving House Atreides the Arrakis fief

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i wouldnt normally suggest listening to Joe Rogan, but his interview with Leto II is legit

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

she dune on my atreides till i sardaukar

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

dune but with a donnie darko director's cut style edit where every time a new name or term comes up the movie pauses to read you articles from dunepedia with helpful diagrams

This but unironically

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

RWN mini series thing on hamas is good, learning a lot

hbu

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

not since matt died no

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Centrist Committee posted:

not since matt died no

matt did a good job in the recent interview

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Nanomashoes posted:

is liking dune soy or is not liking dune soy. can we please come up with an answer to this soon, I’m getting anxious that I might be soy without knowing it

dune is cringe, calling things soy is soy, and i'm based (between 7.35 to 7.45)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Trabisnikof posted:

dune is just too big a story for just 6 hours of movie time. it needs a series where it goes slow enough the season 1 finale is them moving to arrakis and Paul doesn't become Kwisatz Haderach until season 4 or 5. then there would be time to work in the ecology, the cultures, and the interpersonal relationships

No that's insane. The book basically starts with them going to Arrakis

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Dune should be treated with the same level of artistic integrity as the fictional television show Surf Dracula

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

it is just the difference between what written media can communicate concisely and what visual media can communicate concisely. do a whole episode on the ride over to arrakis that's 1/10th of a modern season right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Muad'Dib who are your guys?